Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96757)

EmDiggy 12-07-2012 02:40 PM

Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
Week 14 NFL Wraparound Preview

Good afternoon Texans fans! Good luck this week!

Em

Trail.Blazr 12-07-2012 03:58 PM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
EmDiggy: Houston doesn't have the passing game as of yet? One dimensional?

EmDiggy: Patriots are going to spread it out and widen out those zone responsibilities.



Lets see...
- Houston has over 1000 yards passing in their last 3 games
- N.E. has under 900 in their last 3
- Houston plays mostly man

While your prediction of a Patriots win, could happen, your analysis was a 'bit' off.

wolf123 12-07-2012 04:06 PM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
Its Em diggity... Even the crappy teams we play have an advantage on us according to him.. I'm sure the Patriots have all the check marks in this game.:kubepalm::wadepalm:

thunderkyss 12-07-2012 04:07 PM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
Falcons can lose & still have the best record in the NFC


Didn't I tell y'all he'd pick New England? Didn't I?

DX-TEX 12-07-2012 04:20 PM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr (Post 2073300)
EmDiggy: Houston doesn't have the passing game as of yet? One dimensional?

EmDiggy: Patriots are going to spread it out and widen out those zone responsibilities.



Lets see...
- Houston has over 1000 yards passing in their last 3 games
- N.E. has under 900 in their last 3
- Houston plays mostly man

While your prediction of a Patriots win, could happen, your analysis was a 'bit' off.

Just post this:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/MechDX/swatt.gif

Easier than typing

2012Champs 12-07-2012 06:12 PM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr (Post 2073300)
EmDiggy: Houston doesn't have the passing game as of yet? One dimensional?

EmDiggy: Patriots are going to spread it out and widen out those zone responsibilities.



Lets see...
- Houston has over 1000 yards passing in their last 3 games
- N.E. has under 900 in their last 3
- Houston plays mostly man

While your prediction of a Patriots win, could happen, your analysis was a 'bit' off.



1000 yards in how many quarters of football? Look at the season average instead of the last couple games

SAMURAITEXAN 12-07-2012 06:35 PM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
Thanks for video Em. I think we win VS Pats.

Quote from Antonio Smith and posted by Showtime100 on other thread.

Question: Will the Texans win the Super Bowl this year?

Antonio: The Texans will win the Super Bowl this year...if the Super Bowl is to be won.

Go Texans!!!

The Pencil Neck 12-07-2012 09:44 PM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
This is the same guy who suggested that a team minimize JJ Watt by running at him. Because EVERYONE knows you run at pass rushers.

Like JJ Watt's an undersized pass rushing specialist who doesn't lead the league in tackles for loss.

I mean, seriously.

thunderkyss 12-07-2012 10:11 PM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2073539)
This is the same guy who suggested that a team minimize JJ Watt by running at him. Because EVERYONE knows you run at pass rushers.

Like JJ Watt's an undersized pass rushing specialist who doesn't lead the league in tackles for loss.

I mean, seriously.

Yeah, I know he means well, but I don't think he watches enough games to be able to do what he wants with these videos. He definitely doesn't have the staff to do the kind of research needed.

EmDiggy 12-08-2012 09:08 AM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2073539)
This is the same guy who suggested that a team minimize JJ Watt by running at him. Because EVERYONE knows you run at pass rushers.

Like JJ Watt's an undersized pass rushing specialist who doesn't lead the league in tackles for loss.

I mean, seriously.

Actually when you run at Watt you now have to ability to use 2 and sometimes 3 guys to help you gain leverage (G, T, TE or FB) in pass pro its a lot tougher to double team a guy that has someone opposite of him that can also get pressure..pick your poison type of situation.

I know you were trying to be funny, but just wanted to point out the actual football aspect from my comments

thunderkyss 12-08-2012 09:23 AM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EmDiggy (Post 2073667)
Actually when you run at Watt you now have to ability to use 2 and sometimes 3 guys to help you gain leverage (G, T, TE or FB) in pass pro its a lot tougher to double team a guy that has someone opposite of him that can also get pressure..pick your poison type of situation.

I know you were trying to be funny, but just wanted to point out the actual football aspect from my comments

http://i.minus.com/ieBYA9XnRGUmI.gif

I don't think he was trying to be funny..... just pointing out the Jj Watt aspect of the situation. em, this is exactly what I'm talking about. It's obvious you "know" football. But this generic play-book stuff, "Run at JJ to neutralize a pass rusher" stuff makes it look like you're clueless. Like you don't watch these guys play.

Instead of saying, "Run at Jj Watt" even the guys on Playbook were highlighting what Jj does in this situation. "Normally you'd want to run at a player like Jj Watt, but this Mothe@!@$! can stop that schit too!"

EmDiggy 12-08-2012 09:35 AM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2073676)
http://i.minus.com/ieBYA9XnRGUmI.gif

I don't think he was trying to be funny..... just pointing out the Jj Watt aspect of the situation. em, this is exactly what I'm talking about. It's obvious you "know" football. But this generic play-book stuff, "Run at JJ to neutralize a pass rusher" stuff makes it look like you're clueless. Like you don't watch these guys play.

Instead of saying, "Run at Jj Watt" even the guys on Playbook were highlighting what Jj does in this situation. "Normally you'd want to run at a player like Jj Watt, but this Mothe@!@$! can stop that schit too!"

Which is why he's clearly the DPOY! But in my position, you have to offer up a possible solution.. I can't just say "Well, honestly you (my right tackle) will get beat like a drum today and you (my running back) will look like a complete and utter failure and you (my offensive coordinator) better not call any run plays or pass plays to his side because this guy is just flat out better than him (points again at my right tackle).

But as you mentioned before, the Playbook guys have a staff of 70 and I have a staff of 1. It doesn't make me look clueless, it makes my statements much more efficient because of the time it would take them to show and explain in a 15 min segment, I only have 8 words to make the same point. And I also have to explain from both ends, you just can't assume that everyone 'knows' football..

Rey 12-08-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmDiggy (Post 2073667)
Actually when you run at Watt you now have to ability to use 2 and sometimes 3 guys to help you gain leverage (G, T, TE or FB) in pass pro its a lot tougher to double team a guy that has someone opposite of him that can also get pressure..pick your poison type of situation.

I know you were trying to be funny, but just wanted to point out the actual football aspect from my comments

No one is going to dedicate three blockers to watt in the run game. They are not going to have a guard tackle and TE (or fb) all block watt or have some part in blocking him.

That would mean the ilb, and/or the Olb to watt's side would likely be unblocked. And the NT would likely see one on one blocking with the center.

I'd count that as a win for the defense. Run at watt, have three blockers play a part in getting him blocked and let some other players go free....ON THE PLAY SIDE...

Not going to happen often because if it does we'll be the winner on those snaps 99 times out of 98.

Rey 12-08-2012 09:40 AM

Best thing to do against watt in the run game is run away from him and hope you can slow him long enough that you can 1) open a hole 2) have him not slice through the o line and tackle the rb before he even gets going.

Rey 12-08-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmDiggy (Post 2073684)
Which is why he's clearly the DPOY! But in my position, you have to offer up a possible solution.. I can't just say "Well, honestly you (my right tackle) will get beat like a drum today and you (my running back) will look like a complete and utter failure and you (my offensive coordinator) better not call any run plays or pass plays to his side because this guy is just flat out better than him (points again at my right tackle).

But as you mentioned before, the Playbook guys have a staff of 70 and I have a staff of 1. It doesn't make me look clueless, it makes my statements much more efficient because of the time it would take them to show and explain in a 15 min segment, I only have 8 words to make the same point. And I also have to explain from both ends, you just can't assume that everyone 'knows' football..

That's well and good em, but your initial comments about running at watt made it sound like he was some featherweight edge rusher.

Running at Jj watt is not wise any way you slice it. You don't run directly at strong skilled interior players like watt. That's not a recipe for success.

There are other ways to attack this defense...running at watt is not one of them. Traps, doubling him on the backside, outside runs away from him, misdirection and delays away from him to slow him down some are all better options IMO.

thunderkyss 12-08-2012 09:50 AM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EmDiggy (Post 2073684)
Which is why he's clearly the DPOY! But in my position, you have to offer up a possible solution.. I can't just say "Well, honestly you (my right tackle) will get beat like a drum today and you (my running back) will look like a complete and utter failure and you (my offensive coordinator) better not call any run plays or pass plays to his side because this guy is just flat out better than him (points again at my right tackle).

Why not? Those statements are just as silly as the statement you did make, "neutralize Jj by running straight at him"

"Jj Watt is a complete beast. He's a pass rusher, run stopper, pass defender. Whatever you got planned to stop him, scrap it. Throw it in the trash & move on to the next point of emphasis in your game plan. Jj Watt is going to get his, just like Tom Brady is going to get his, just like Wes Welker is going to get his, you are not going to stop Jj Watt. Plan for the butt whup'n he's going to dish out & find a way to win inspite of it."

But, that's probably why I'm not a commentator.

The Pencil Neck 12-08-2012 12:58 PM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EmDiggy (Post 2073667)
Actually when you run at Watt you now have to ability to use 2 and sometimes 3 guys to help you gain leverage (G, T, TE or FB) in pass pro its a lot tougher to double team a guy that has someone opposite of him that can also get pressure..pick your poison type of situation.

I know you were trying to be funny, but just wanted to point out the actual football aspect from my comments

I'm not trying to be funny. You run at a lightweight, speed rusher to slow him down... which is what you said in your original comments a few weeks ago about how to handle JJ Watt. The problem with that is that JJ Watt isn't a lightweight, speed rusher. In the run game, he's a run stuffer.

Would you say something like, "I'm going to run at Vince Wilfork to slow him down?" No, because running at a run stuffer is going to put you behind in the down and distance.

For a guy like this, you've got to game plan ways to neutralize him in the run game not make it easier for him. You design plays to get your guys help, you try to confuse him with misdirection, and your QB has to identify where he is and how he's lined up and shift the play accordingly.

In the pass game, you've got to identify where he is and then try NOT try to throw through windows on that side. Moving the pocket is probably a good idea from time to time.

But you don't run at him to slow him down.

Dutchrudder 12-08-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2073687)
Best thing to do against watt in the run game is run away from him and hope you can slow him long enough that you can 1) open a hole 2) have him not slice through the o line and tackle the rb before he even gets going.

This.

There is no shame in neutralizing (kind of) a guy by avoiding him. Teams don't throw at shutdown corners for a good reason, the same can be done for run stoppers. Some guys are just too much for the blockers to handle on a consistent basis and you would be better off attacking weaker parts of the defense.

Norg 12-08-2012 11:07 PM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
when we are in a 5-2 Def is JJWATT in a DT position or DE ...?????

The Pencil Neck 12-09-2012 12:53 PM

Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norg (Post 2074002)
when we are in a 5-2 Def is JJWATT in a DT position or DE ...?????

It's all a terminology/semantic thing.

Since we're a hybrid 3-4, most people are going to say that JJ is in a DE position... with Cody/Mitchell in as the NT and Barwin/Mercilus/Reed in as OLBs. But you COULD use the standard 5-2 terminology which usually calls the two outside guys (Barwin/Mercilus/Reed) DEs and the three inside guys (Cody/Mitchell, Watt/Smith/Crick) DTs although sometimes they make a distinction between those three inside guys by calling the middlemost lineman an NT instead of a DT.

Personally, I still think of the positions in terms of a 3-4 even though it has strong 5-2 tendencies.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger