Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Hypothetical Question? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96637)

srrono 12-03-2012 10:04 AM

Hypothetical Question?

If Phillips moves on to head coach? (Knock on wood) If Rex Ryan is fired. Is Rex to big personality for Kub here? I still think Rex is a great DC.

Texanmike02 12-03-2012 10:06 AM

Re: Hypothetical Question?

Um. Why did you post this? Did you just want to stand out? WTF? This is about 3 months too early.

I know that 2 years ago and before it was acceptable to have discussions like this in the regular season but when you're 11-1 you DON'T talk about this kind of stuff.

Mike

Corrosion 12-03-2012 10:14 AM

Their secondary schemes are vastly different ... Wade runs signifantly more man where Rexy plays a lot more zone. Not so sure the Texans current DB's fit well into that scheme.

srrono 12-03-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texanmike02 (Post 2070486)
Um. Why did you post this? Did you just want to stand out? WTF? This is about 3 months too early.

I know that 2 years ago and before it was acceptable to have discussions like this in the regular season but when you're 11-1 you DON'T talk about this kind of stuff.

Mike

No I don't want to stand out.
When you're 11-1 teams come a calling for your personal & coaches just because we don't talk about doesn't mean it don't happen.
It came up this weekend during the game and a buddy threw it out. Looking at the NFL landscape there will be a lot of head coaching jobs available. We all know Wade wants to be a Head Coach again.

srrono 12-03-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2070492)
Their secondary schemes are vastly different ... Wade runs signifantly more man where Rexy plays a lot more zone. Not so sure the Texans current DB's fit well into that scheme.

Thanks i did not know this.

badboy 12-05-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texanmike02 (Post 2070486)

Mike

It is a perfectly logical question. Throw some salt over your shoulder, avoid mirrors and black cats and allow others to post without your superstition.

To OP: I posted question a few weeks ago about Phillips maybe being offered a HC position after such as highly successful season and he will be offered. Many think Wade has come home to roost but he has said he thinks he can still be a HC. I am hoping McNair and Smith have a plan. I am not a Ryans fan.

Doppelganger 12-05-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srrono (Post 2070483)
If Phillips moves on to head coach? (Knock on wood) If Rex Ryan is fired. Is Rex to big personality for Kub here? I still think Rex is a great DC.

Rex may be a great DC, but the 3-4 he runs is extremely different than the one Wade runs.

Wade runs more of a hybrid 3-4 with 1 gaps. He expects the 3 downlineman to shoot the gaps. He uses man coverage nd expects his front 7 to harass the QB or upset the QB's timing.

Rex plays more a traditional massive space eating NG and relies on being a stout run stopping team. His DEs tend to be bigger and are primarily responsible for the clogging the lanes and batting down balls. Rex uses pressure from his LBs(all 4) and uses exotic schemes such as overloading one side or using multiple DB blitzes with LB dropping into coverage. Rex plays a ton of zone and typically excells when he can use a CB to completely cut off part of the field, like Revis. This allows him to send additional help to CB2 in the form of S1, S2, or a dropping ILB.

I don't think the players in the current scheme would fit the Rex Defense as well. For one, there isn't a space eating NG. Watt would be asked to focus on the run and not rush the QB as much, so he may be wasted in that scheme.

Hervoyel 12-05-2012 04:26 PM

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...because-no.jpg

amazing80 12-05-2012 06:06 PM

I don't think Rex and his loud mouth would ever be welcome here

I also don't think Wade will be a HC ever again

If for some reason WADE leaves, I would consider Vance Joseph as DC, the way he has transformed our younger secondary players speaks volumes to me, he was just as successful in San Fran too

Playoffs 12-05-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hervoyel (Post 2072037)

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/foru...at_he_said.jpg

thunderkyss 12-05-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2070492)

The only DBs we've got that are suited to man over zone are Jjo & McCain. Harris & Kj are more zone corners, I think.

badboy 12-06-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2072104)
The only DBs we've got that are suited to man over zone are Jjo & McCain. Harris & Kj are more zone corners, I think.

I think with game experience both KJ and Harris will be better at man.

Perki-Perk 12-06-2012 03:05 PM

For what it's worth, I heard J&R interview Phillips earlier this week and it sounds like he is going to stay here. He pretty much told them he isn't going anywhere unless they (Texans organization) get rid of him.

amazing80 12-06-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perki-Perk (Post 2072580)
For what it's worth, I heard J&R interview Phillips earlier this week and it sounds like he is going to stay here. He pretty much told them he isn't going anywhere unless they (Texans organization) get rid of him.

Thats good to hear, he should just be our Dick Lebeau and be happy about it

The Pencil Neck 12-06-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perki-Perk (Post 2072580)

If that's true then I am a very happy person.

infantrycak 12-06-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2072642)
If that's true then I am a very happy person.

I heard the interview and my interpretation was he would have to be offered something he considered an ideal situation. Stated a definite preference to stay in Texas.

ThaJokaa 12-06-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hervoyel (Post 2072037)

Exactly, Why even bring this up now -___-

TheMatrix31 12-06-2012 07:20 PM

Rex Ryan is disgustingly unlikeable. He's also not anywhere near the type of person McNair and Smith bring in.

Thorn 12-06-2012 07:49 PM

Well, there is that shoe repair place on Westheimer.

thunderkyss 12-06-2012 08:03 PM

Up & coming Defensive coordinators, who's out there?

Any DC candidates with ties to Houston?