Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Duane Brown: Best LT in the League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96512)

HOU-TEX 11-28-2012 09:46 AM

Duane Brown: Best LT in the League

Didn't see this posted anywhere. This is a great read and break down of DB's play. I really dig it when 'big nasties' get props. Read the entire article.

Quote:

The Texans drafted Duane Brown with the 26th overall selection in 2008 in what was described as a reach by many at the time. Though Brown struggled early in his career, coughing up 11 sacks as a rookie, his PFF grade and ranking has improved every season since, and over the past 29 games he has surrendered just a single sack. The Texans were banking on his talent and potential, and right now they are being proved right with every game.
Quote:

Brown is the league’s best left tackle in 2012, putting together a season so good it saw him in 6th position in our Offensive Player of the Year rankings compiled by the PFF analysts. Senior Analyst Ben Stockwell, the man that analyses more games than anybody at PFF, actually ranked Brown in his top spot.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ook-week-12-2/

GlassHalfFull 11-28-2012 10:08 AM

Re: Duane Brown: Best LT in the League

OL is arguably the most important piece of the puzzle that makes up a good team. And LT is a huge part of that piece.

Duane Brown has been stellar. Glad to see him getting well deserved recognition.

TexanSam 11-28-2012 10:16 AM

He's been awesome. His name is rarely called (maybe a half dozen time at most this season) and that's a good thing.

Playoffs 11-28-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2067186)
Offensive Player of the Year rankings compiled by the PFF analysts. Senior Analyst Ben Stockwell, the man that analyses more games than anybody at PFF, actually ranked Brown in his top spot.

Quote:

That is what is so impressive about the 2012 version of Duane Brown. Several players in the league today are athletically gifted left tackles, capable of shadowing great pass-rushers and limiting the pressure they surrender, but few are able to partner that with the strength and power Brown has developed and uses in the run game as well as his pass protection. He has allowed just fifteen total pressures this season as a pass protector, but his run blocking grade sits almost identically alongside his excellent pass-protection grade for the season, making Brown the league’s best all-around left tackle right now.
Pretty darn impressive.

Duane Brown has now passed every other OT drafted ahead of him in the 2008 NFL Draft. (Although I think Ryan Clady is right there with him.)

Scooter 11-28-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

By the time Foster is crossing the goal line Brown has pancaked three defenders, driving his man off the line so far he cuts off the pursuit of both a linebacker and a safety and takes them all to the ground.
epic.

disaacks3 11-28-2012 10:26 AM

The man is a beast, and deserves the props after getting hammered early & often as a rookie.

DocBar 11-28-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

By the time Foster is crossing the goal line Brown has pancaked three defenders, driving his man off the line so far he cuts off the pursuit of both a linebacker and a safety and takes them all to the ground.
That is just awesome. I also like that Brown plays with a nasty attitude. He doesn't just want to block you, he wants to dominate and demoralize you.

TexansRule1 11-28-2012 10:35 AM

Wait, wait. This can't be right. Isn't this the same guy that I knew was a bust his rookie year (just like everybody else)?

Next thing your gonna tell me is that Kareem Jackson isn't bust either. Bradie James, Alan Ball?

No, no. I think I will just continue to judge these things quickly. After all, no one gets better with practice, effort, and coaching.

NastyNate 11-28-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocBar (Post 2067224)
That is just awesome. I also like that Brown plays with a nasty attitude. He doesn't just want to block you, he wants to dominate and demoralize you.

I hope that style of play rubs off on Newton over the next few years.

Playoffs 11-28-2012 10:36 AM

Duane Brown vs. 3 silver helmets...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/wp-...2wk12ply1a.jpg
...Duane wins.

Texan_Bill 11-28-2012 10:38 AM

Just tweeted:

Quote:

Lance Zierlein‏@LanceZierlein

Antoine Caldwell is 3rd in Pro Bowl voting while Duane Brown is 4th. Uh........... okay
WTF?????

Scooter 11-28-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2067231)
Duane Brown vs. 3 silver helmets...

...Duane wins.

3 lions already on the ground, duane will add 3 more himself by the time arian gets to the goalline ... i think that's a pretty good recipe for a successful run game.

"myers you have the DT, wade cut any persuit, newton try not to hold anybody, jones ... jones? anybody home?, ok and duane you have the right end, the sam linebacker, the middle linebacker, and the strong safety ... ready BREAK!"

TheIronDuke 11-28-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansRule1 (Post 2067227)
Wait, wait. This can't be right. Isn't this the same guy that I knew was a bust his rookie year (just like everybody else)?

Next thing your gonna tell me is that Kareem Jackson isn't bust either. Bradie James, Alan Ball?

No, no. I think I will just continue to judge these things quickly. After all, no one gets better with practice, effort, and coaching.

You do realize that James and Ball are neither drafted by the Texans or in the early part of their careers, right?

GlassHalfFull 11-28-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter (Post 2067238)
3 lions already on the ground, duane will add 3 more himself by the time arian gets to the goalline ... i think that's a pretty good recipe for a successful run game.

"myers you have the DT, wade cut any persuit, newton try not to hold anybody, jones ... jones? anybody home?, ok and duane you have the right end, the sam linebacker, the middle linebacker, and the strong safety ... ready BREAK!"

LOL, love the huddle call.

My son was trying to give Casey credit for the blocking on that play. I had to correct him and tell him it was all DB.

76Texan 11-28-2012 11:08 AM

Just another bust defended by the obnoxious 76Texan.
Still remember some folks called me an excuse-maker when I put some of those sacks on the QB. :kitten:

thunderkyss 11-28-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2067214)
Pretty darn impressive.

Duane Brown has now passed every other OT drafted ahead of him in the 2008 NFL Draft. (Although I think Ryan Clady is right there with him.)

eh..... I think it's still subjective. For what they do, the Broncos probably wouldn't trade Clady for the world. I'm just happy we've got a good one.

thunderkyss 11-28-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 2067233)
Just tweeted:

Quote:

Lance Zierlein‏@LanceZierlein

Antoine Caldwell is 3rd in Pro Bowl voting while Duane Brown is 4th. Uh........... okay
WTF?????

There's got to be antoher player out there named Caldwell...

Gots to be.

HOU-TEX 11-28-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2067266)
Just another bust defended by the obnoxious 76Texan.
Still remember some folks called me an excuse-maker when I put some of those sacks on the QB. :kitten:

http://www.trophyshop.com.au/images/...rst-Ribbon.jpg

thunderkyss 11-28-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull (Post 2067260)
LOL, love the huddle call.

My son was trying to give Casey credit for the blocking on that play. I had to correct him and tell him it was all DB.

As much as I like DB, there's a whole lot of right on that play.
  1. Arian Foster being patient & staying behind the big guy
  2. Garrett Graham swinging the edge rusher outside, out of the play, & maintaining that block until the runner is well past him
  3. The backside of the line cut off all backside pursuit
  4. James Casey doesn't allow anyone on Brown's backside.

76Texan 11-28-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2067272)

You're too kind Sir!
I was simply asking for patience.
There are diamonds in the rough, but they all need polishing, right?