Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Eagles Release Jason Babin (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96480)

Lurvinator11 11-27-2012 02:05 PM

Eagles Release Jason Babin

Per Schefter

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Philadelphia Eagles announced they have released DE Jason Babin.

Dutchrudder 11-27-2012 02:08 PM

Re: Eagles Release Jason Babin

Holy crap! From chump to champ and back to chump.

Quote:

Eagles release Jason Babin. Will owe remaining balance of $5.6M salary, $1.64M, if he is not claimed on waivers.
We could actually fit him under the cap this year if we wanted to. How would he do as a 3-4 DE? Can he play anything other than a wide 9?

Exascor 11-27-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2066703)

We could actually fit him under the cap this year if we wanted to. How would he do as a 3-4 DE? Can he play anything other than a wide 9?

He weighs 260ish. Doubt that's big enough.

thunderkyss 11-27-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2066703)

Too small. We'd want to make him an OLB.... a WOLB which he didn't do to well at for us before. With Wade though....

interesting why they let him go.

Dutchrudder 11-27-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2066707)
Too small. We'd want to make him an OLB.... a WOLB which he didn't do to well at for us before. With Wade though....

interesting why they let him go.

It's probably a financial decision. If he gets picked up, they save 1.64 million in capspace this year, which can be rolled over into 2013. The season is over for them, so might as well start looking ahead to next year.

Playoffs 11-27-2012 02:21 PM

A one trick pony who just got dumped by said pony. No thanks.

Lurvinator11 11-27-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2066713)
It's probably a financial decision. If he gets picked up, they save 1.64 million in capspace this year, which can be rolled over into 2013. The season is over for them, so might as well start looking ahead to next year.

It's also a sign of things to come for The Eagles.

That organization is getting blown up this off season.

HOU-TEX 11-27-2012 02:28 PM

I keyed on him several times last night. Boy, what a difference a season makes. He simply looked lost on the field, like he really didn't care to be out there. There'd be times he looked to have his man beat then make a strange move that would take him completely out of the play. It was weird, like a chicken with it's head cut off kinda weird.

Bulls on Parade 11-27-2012 02:38 PM

A guy with 5.5 sacks, 18 sacks and 12.5 sacks the past three seasons. Hmm, I'm interested regardless. I could care less about his smaller size. Antonio Smith is doing little lately and if that worries you then let him play some snaps at OLB instead of RE.

HoustonFrog 11-27-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2066721)
I keyed on him several times last night. Boy, what a difference a season makes. He simply looked lost on the field, like he really didn't care to be out there. There'd be times he looked to have his man beat then make a strange move that would take him completely out of the play. It was weird, like a chicken with it's head cut off kinda weird.

I was reading Twitter and one guy who reports fantasy news and talks to NFL people said one personnel guy told him that most if his sacks last year were "cherry picked." I'm not sure how you can luckily cherry pick 18 sacks but that was the message.

From Eric Edholm @eric_edholm

Quote:

I'll say this: One pro personnel guy bashed Jason Babin up and down to me ... last year. After 18 sacks. Called him a cherry picker. FWIW...

Dutchrudder 11-27-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2066721)

Well given that their defense has taken a nose dive since firing Juan Castillo, I would think the "chicken with its head cut off" is an apt description for the team. That was a really stupid move on Reid's part this year, even more so than hiring the O-line coach as DC in the first place. In any case, I would chalk up the poor play to poor coaching and the turmoil in the organization this year. I think he'll go elsewhere and be much more productive. Rumors are Tampa, Detroit and Cincy could be interested, which would put him as a 4-3 DE pass rusher. That would probably fit his play style more so than a 3-4 like the Texans.

Bulls on Parade 11-27-2012 02:44 PM

If the Eagles let DeMeco go next we got to bring him back.

Hervoyel 11-27-2012 02:55 PM

Absolutely. Babin I don't know about though. On one hand I thought the Texans parted with him just as he was starting to turn the corner. On the other he had all of his success when he went back to playing in a 4-3. On still another (three hands?) you got Wade Phillips and if you're good at something he'll put you in a position to do that so maybe he could make something happen here with Babin again.

If the Texans choose to go after him it's because they know what they want to do with him and I trust them. If they don't bother then I trust that decision too.

But DeMeco would come back here and make some noise.

TheIronDuke 11-27-2012 03:01 PM

Probably has a steroid suspension looming. Yes, that is all hearsay. I'm just saying that he took steroids probably.

Dutchrudder 11-27-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade (Post 2066733)
If the Eagles let DeMeco go next we got to bring him back.

Right now, I would love to get him back, but the trade deadline has passed. I can't see him going unclaimed if he was released right now. His remaining salary would be around 1.05 million for the rest of the season and the future years of of his contract are not be guaranteed. So there's just about no risk for a team to pick him up and keep him this year. Too bad, he would be perfect to have on our team right now :(

Next offseason, I could see us trying to get him, but he's probably too expensive for us.

silentassassin 11-27-2012 03:04 PM

I fully expect Vick and Asomugha to suffer the same fate in the offseason.

BullNation4Life 11-27-2012 03:05 PM

Didn't the Kubiak regime trade him to Seattle?

TheIronDuke 11-27-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullNation4Life (Post 2066746)

Yes but Michael Boulware was pretty beastly! :kubepalm:

Hervoyel 11-27-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullNation4Life (Post 2066746)

Babin, correct. They traded him for a safety (Boulware) who didn't work out either (just looked, I was wrong. Seattle kept him until 2008). I think both teams cut their respective players before the season even ended.

Babin had come back into camp lean though and was actually having what I thought was his best camp ever.

eriadoc 11-27-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hervoyel (Post 2066751)
Babin, correct. They traded him for a safety (Boulware) who didn't work out either (just looked, I was wrong. Seattle kept him until 2008). I think both teams cut their respective players before the season even ended.

Babin had come back into camp lean though and was actually having what I thought was his best camp ever.

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty stupid trade based on talent and potential, but it was hard to give much of a damn at the time. I think Kubiak just wanted him gone for other reasons and dealt him.