Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Tavon Austin (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96475)

Ndevine7 11-27-2012 11:56 AM

Tavon Austin
 
What are your guys thoughts on Tavon Austin. I know he's made a strong push into round 1 and might be off the board before we pick but the man is a game changer. I've watched practically every WVU game that Tavon has been there and I don't know if I've seen a more explosive athlete in and out of his cuts(slight overstatement). I know he doesn't fit he typically Kubiak WR, but Austin could add another element to this offense that would put it on another level. While Martin has improved on returns, I don't think he's as dynamic as a returner as Austin is. Austin would also be an incredible slot receiver who reminds me a bit of Percy but not quite as strong as Percy is. Austin showed against OU that he can line up in the backfield rushing 21 times for 344 yards adding 4 rec for 81 yards. While he will never be an every down back, we could utilize him as a Sproles type player who can catch the ball out of the backfield as well as taking an occasional run when he's not playing the slot. Depending on who else is available, if he is available late first (or early second if we trade back) I think he would make this offense even more potent and improve the return game. Other receivers from the state of West Virginia that I am high on are Aaron Dobson from Marshall in the 2nd or Steadman Bailey from WVU in the 3rd. While I don't know if Kubiak would take another WR given he likes the 3 young guys, I think all three of these receivers could really help this team.

badboy 11-27-2012 12:37 PM

Re: Tavon Austin
 
Not interested as risk of doing well in NFL too high. We have other areas to address other than "skitter bug".

beerlover 11-27-2012 01:52 PM

Re: Tavon Austin
 
I like Aaron Dobson, Marshall end of 2nd. Big NFL body type with potential to develop as a #1 :fostering:

rmartin65 11-27-2012 06:59 PM

Re: Tavon Austin
 
I am really, really torn. On the one hand, he is electrifying with the ball- he is always, always a threat to score. On the other hand, he is so small, and I dont know about him being able to handle getting hit by NFL caliber players.

I would grab him in the second round, the first is just too risky.

Wolf6151 11-27-2012 09:28 PM

Re: Tavon Austin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmartin65 (Post 2066857)
I am really, really torn. On the one hand, he is electrifying with the ball- he is always, always a threat to score. On the other hand, he is so small, and I dont know about him being able to handle getting hit by NFL caliber players.

I would grab him in the second round, the first is just too risky.


^^^^This^^^^

steelbtexan 11-27-2012 09:50 PM

Re: Tavon Austin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 2066656)
I like Aaron Dobson, Marshall end of 2nd. Big NFL body type with potential to develop as a #1 :fostering:

Give me Dobson, who has the ability to be the best WR in this draft. (Patterson is my favorite.) The Texans will probably have to trade up to get him. I would offer the Jets a 3rd and Tate for their 2nd rd pick and pick Dobson.

Austin is alot like Harvin. If Welker leaves in FA I could see New England picking him in the 1st/2nd.

Ndevine7 11-27-2012 10:53 PM

Re: Tavon Austin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2066944)
Give me Dobson, who has the ability to be the best WR in this draft. (Patterson is my favorite.) The Texans will probably have to trade up to get him. I would offer the Jets a 3rd and Tate for their 2nd rd pick and pick Dobson.

Austin is alot like Harvin. If Welker leaves in FA I could see New England picking him in the 1st/2nd.

I don't see Austin being available any later then top 5-7 picks of the 2nd round. Unless his combine measurements are really poor, I think is taken end of the 1st round. I'd love to land Dobson. I think he can make an immediate impact. If we had to move up to the Jets spot to draft him in the 2nd I wouldnt be opposed but think he should be there at our pick in the 2nd.

ArlingtonTexan 11-27-2012 11:31 PM

Re: Tavon Austin
 
I like Austin a lot, but I think he is going to be a gadget/slot player versus a fulltime WR. Kubiak seems to have limited use for that style of player although Martin does some here or there.

Dutchrudder 11-27-2012 11:35 PM

Re: Tavon Austin
 
Tavon Austin: Height: 5-09 Weight: 172

Hmmm, yeah, I don't think Kubiak will go for him. Would be interesting to have on the team, but I just don't see Kubiak working him into the system. Especially not for a 1st.

htownfan32 11-28-2012 08:40 AM

Re: Tavon Austin
 
Danny Woodhead-esque player?

For WR, I'm all aboard the Cordarelle Patterson train. And maybe Ryan Swope in the later rounds? Don't get me wrong, Swope will never be a #1, but... the guy will kill you on the slants.

Rock N Randy 11-30-2012 03:35 PM

Re: Tavon Austin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ndevine7 (Post 2066613)
What are your guys thoughts on Tavon Austin. I know he's made a strong push into round 1 and might be off the board before we pick but the man is a game changer. I've watched practically every WVU game that Tavon has been there and I don't know if I've seen a more explosive athlete in and out of his cuts(slight overstatement). I know he doesn't fit he typically Kubiak WR, but Austin could add another element to this offense that would put it on another level. While Martin has improved on returns, I don't think he's as dynamic as a returner as Austin is. Austin would also be an incredible slot receiver who reminds me a bit of Percy but not quite as strong as Percy is. Austin showed against OU that he can line up in the backfield rushing 21 times for 344 yards adding 4 rec for 81 yards. While he will never be an every down back, we could utilize him as a Sproles type player who can catch the ball out of the backfield as well as taking an occasional run when he's not playing the slot. Depending on who else is available, if he is available late first (or early second if we trade back) I think he would make this offense even more potent and improve the return game. Other receivers from the state of West Virginia that I am high on are Aaron Dobson from Marshall in the 2nd or Steadman Bailey from WVU in the 3rd. While I don't know if Kubiak would take another WR given he likes the 3 young guys, I think all three of these receivers could really help this team.

I'm 100% on board and agree.

I love Austin he is a rare dynamic playmaker

His gamebreak ability and speed out weight my concerns of his size.

mussop 12-01-2012 11:17 PM

Re: Tavon Austin
 
Very very late second is the soonest I would pick him.

mussop 12-01-2012 11:19 PM

Re: Tavon Austin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2067010)
Tavon Austin: Height: 5-09 Weight: 172

Hmmm, yeah, I don't think Kubiak will go for him. Would be interesting to have on the team, but I just don't see Kubiak working him into the system. Especially not for a 1st.

Remember Trendon Holiday? :fingergun:

steelbtexan 12-01-2012 11:39 PM

Re: Tavon Austin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by htownfan32 (Post 2067102)
Danny Woodhead-esque player?

For WR, I'm all aboard the Cordarelle Patterson train. And maybe Ryan Swope in the later rounds? Don't get me wrong, Swope will never be a #1, but... the guy will kill you on the slants.


I really hope that Patterson or Dobson are on the board when the Texans are picking in the 2nd rd. Even if they have to trade up and pick one of them.

How would you feel about trading Tate and a 3rd rd pick for the Jets 2nd rd pick?

htownfan32 12-02-2012 04:24 AM

Re: Tavon Austin
 
If it was to pick up a WR, I'd be all for it. The chances of a 2nd rounder WR panning out are much higher than a 3rd rounder whatever. I'm still mad we didn't get Hill. A few years under Andre and if that kid has any learning capacity, he'd be a great.

As for Tavon Austin... I'm a major idk on him. He's great, but... 5'9. I think picking him would be dumping the K-Mart experiment too early, and I think K-Mart's got what we need. We're looking for a bigger WR imo. Also, I'm sure Kubiak wants a WR with some blocking ability, and I'm not sure Austin has it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger