Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Cause Everyone Else is Mock . (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96462)

Honoring Earl 34 11-26-2012 08:47 PM

Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
1. Sheldon Richardson DE Mizzou .... The Texans are pretty thin and old up front . Crick is ok and Jamison is hurt .
2. Kevin Minter LB LSU ... I'm not sold on Sharpton and James and Dobbins are older . Oh yeah Cushing got hurt .
3. Jesse Williams DL Alabama ... Cody is a FA and Earl is an OK back up . May be able to play DE .
4. Quanterus Smith OLB Western Kentucky .... I expect Barwin to leave .

My two cents on where I think the problems are that have to addressed . :d:

Kaiser Toro 11-26-2012 09:45 PM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
NT, DE, ILB, OG, OT, QB and WR are my projected needs in no particular order.

I mocked your mock with a faux mock.:kubepalm:

Honoring Earl 34 11-26-2012 10:00 PM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro (Post 2066385)
NT, DE, ILB, OG, OT, QB and WR are my projected needs in no particular order.

I mocked your mock with a faux mock.:kubepalm:

The NT position will be deep in this draft .

How will it affect the OL if they abolish cut blocks ?

Kaiser Toro 11-26-2012 10:18 PM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 2066393)
The NT position will be deep in this draft .

How will it affect the OL if they abolish cut blocks ?

The same way it would affect Running Backs if they eliminated running. However, I consulted Snopes and there was nothing on cut blocks.

badboy 11-26-2012 10:28 PM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 2066353)
1. Sheldon Richardson DE Mizzou .... The Texans are pretty thin and old up front . Crick is ok and Jamison is hurt .
2. Kevin Minter LB LSU ... I'm not sold on Sharpton and James and Dobbins are older . Oh yeah Cushing got hurt .
3. Jesse Williams DL Alabama ... Cody is a FA and Earl is an OK back up . May be able to play DE .
4. Quanterus Smith OLB Western Kentucky .... I expect Barwin to leave .

My two cents on where I think the problems are that have to addressed . :d:

To clarify, this is the order you would draft for first round if player is available? If so, I'd take Williams as NT is our only dire need. Also, are you aware Q just ruptured his ACL?

Honoring Earl 34 11-27-2012 07:34 AM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2066412)
To clarify, this is the order you would draft for first round if player is available? If so, I'd take Williams as NT is our only dire need. Also, are you aware Q just ruptured his ACL?

Yep ... I'm looking at positions where they could get old or thin really quick . I also think they need an upgrade in talent at said positions . I think this is the number 1 reason the defense has fallen this year .

I didn't know the Q guy was hurt .

It could all change if the NFL changes the cut block rules . I think a bigger stronger OG would be needed then .

Honoring Earl 34 01-25-2013 09:30 AM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Latest and greatest brain cramp mock

1. Alec Ogletree ... LB ... Georgia . Great player who fills a need . I think the Texans defense has to be fixed because the offense is based on a huge defense

2. Dave Amerson ... DB ... NCst . Same as above about the D . Versatile S/CB for nickle situations to keep Keo and Demps off the field .

3. Aaron Dobson ... WR ... Marshall . Big , physical receiver in the Texan mold . He's got the ankles to run good routes and goes for the ball .

4. Brandon Williams ... NG ... Some small Missouri directional school . We all think the Texans need a big guy in the middle .

5. Denard Robinson ... Slot ... Michican . The Texans need play makers bad . This guy can fill that need and then some .

I know that some of these picks are being a bit optimistic that they'll fall and I'm willing to cheat to get them . :pinned:

badboy 01-25-2013 09:45 AM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 2116127)
Latest and greatest brain cramp mock

1. Alec Ogletree ... LB ... Georgia . Great player who fills a need . I think the Texans defense has to be fixed because the offense is based on a huge defense

2. Dave Amerson ... DB ... NCst . Same as above about the D . Versatile S/CB for nickle situations to keep Keo and Demps off the field .

3. Aaron Dobson ... WR ... Marshall . Big , physical receiver in the Texan mold . He's got the ankles to run good routes and goes for the ball .

4. Brandon Williams ... NG ... Some small Missouri directional school . We all think the Texans need a big guy in the middle .

5. Denard Robinson ... Slot ... Michican . The Texans need play makers bad . This guy can fill that need and then some .

I know that some of these picks are being a bit optimistic that they'll fall and I'm willing to cheat to get them . :pinned:

Overall a very good mock. Ogletree probably will not fall but my recent thread on rankings has him #23 so is possible he will fall. Amerson is puzzling to me and others. Wil he correct his focus as coach indicates was problem? Denard is not one I'd draft. Not sure he can learn receiving skills :tiphat:

Honoring Earl 34 01-25-2013 09:58 AM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Overall a very good mock. Ogletree probably will not fall but my recent thread on rankings has him #23 so is possible he will fall. Amerson is puzzling to me and oth one I'd draft. Not sure he can learn receiving skills :tiphat:. Wil he correct his focus as coach indicates was problem? Denard is not:

I think Denard can line up at three positions if Kubiak drops some LSD and expands his realm .

Amerson would be a high 1st if his head was on right . Besides he may have had a GF that he found out was a dude , it happens ya know . His dad is a Psychologist for the Navy . :bubbles:

badboy 01-25-2013 10:21 AM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 2116136)
I think Denard can line up at three positions if Kubiak drops some LSD and expands his realm .

Amerson would be a high 1st if his head was on right . Besides he may have had a GF that he found out was a dude , it happens ya know . :bubbles:

Research into Amerson revealed he may have started listening to his press clippings too much. He had that monster 2011 season and when team did not do well in '12 he started trying to intercept every pass. His skill set allows him to watch QB's eyes and break on ball but he did not do well in '12 with that and then did not have recovery speed and got burned several times. For a back up corner or safety spot (if Quin signs), I'd gamble on him in second.

IMO, Denard not an NFL QB, would get beat to death as RB (although that is where I'd play him) and cannot catch. Pretty big risk when players will be available with better skills.

Honoring Earl 34 01-25-2013 10:26 AM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2116147)
Research into Amerson revealed he may have started listening to his press clippings too much. He had that monster 2011 season and when team did not do well in '12 he started trying to intercept every pass. His skill set allows him to watch QB's eyes and break on ball but he did not do well in '12 with that and then did not have recovery speed and got burned several times. For a back up corner or safety spot (if Quin signs), I'd gamble on him in second.

IMO, Denard not an NFL QB, would get beat to death as RB (although that is where I'd play him) and cannot catch. Pretty big risk when players will be available with better skills.

Denard is my representative of needing quickness and speed . I'd rather have Goodwin but he will not be there after addressing more pressing needs . Austin from WVU is going way to high for me to go for .

Lucky 01-27-2013 09:44 AM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 2116127)
1. Alec Ogletree ... LB ... Georgia . Great player who fills a need .

I don't think Ogletree is a great player. He got by in college on his athleticism. I don't think he has the instincts to play inside in the NFL. A better fit as a 4-3 WOLB.

Honoring Earl 34 01-27-2013 10:05 AM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2116701)
I don't think Ogletree is a great player. He got by in college on his athleticism. I don't think he has the instincts to play inside in the NFL. A better fit as a 4-3 WOLB.

I think he's long and rangy to cover TEs which seem to kill the Texans . Cushing is the instinctive thumper which would allow Ogletree to freelance a bit .

Lucky 01-27-2013 10:28 AM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 2116709)
I think he's long and rangy to cover TEs which seem to kill the Texans . Cushing is the instinctive thumper which would allow Ogletree to freelance a bit .

It's funny that you say that, because I remember Ogletree getting beat on playaction over the middle in the Nebraska bowl game. Athletic enough to cover TEs? Yes. I just don't think he plays to his athleticism.

Honoring Earl 34 01-27-2013 10:36 AM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2116717)
It's funny that you say that, because I remember Ogletree getting beat on playaction over the middle in the Nebraska bowl game. Athletic enough to cover TEs? Yes. I just don't think he plays to his athleticism.

He's also going from safety to LB so he doesn't have much of a track record .

My picks are just as much about prioritizing as they are who you pick . I think ILB is a high priority but I do like a steal , meaning a guy like Sio Moore falling cause he's 6'0 . I don't know if he can play ILB in a 3-4 but he's a good productive player .

Lucky 01-27-2013 10:48 AM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 2116719)
My picks are just as much about prioritizing as they are who you pick . I think ILB is a high priority but I do like a steal , meaning a guy like Sio Moore falling cause he's 6'0 . I don't know if he can play ILB in a 3-4 but he's a good productive player .

Should the Texans look for an everydown ILB, who can do it all (play the run, cover, rush the passer), or should they look for players who can fill roles? I think the Texans definitely need better coverage LBs. But maybe not go after them in the early rounds. A tweener like Missouri's Zavair Gooden might make sense as a nickel LB in the mid rounds.

Honoring Earl 34 01-27-2013 11:07 AM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2116720)
Should the Texans look for an everydown ILB, who can do it all (play the run, cover, rush the passer), or should they look for players who can fill roles? I think the Texans definitely need better coverage LBs. But maybe not go after them in the early rounds. A tweener like Missouri's Zavair Gooden might make sense as a nickel LB in the mid rounds.

Yep ... teams are so diverse these days . NE throws two very productive TEs and Welker at you while a team like the Broncos and Ravens have good WRs , good TEs , and good RBs . You can't be versatile and be slow , it will not work .

WolverineFan 01-27-2013 11:47 AM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2116147)
IMO, Denard not an NFL QB, would get beat to death as RB (although that is where I'd play him) and cannot catch. Pretty big risk when players will be available with better skills.

Guy had 700+ carries in his career and only real injury was a fluke nerve injury to his throwing elbow. He got dinged up some and would have to leave the game for a series sometimes, but he's not a feature back at the next level so he wouldn't take that same beating. He's a 10 touch guy like Sproles or McCluster.

He's the same size as Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson and almost as fast. He's proven that he has all the skills to run the ball. He just needs to learn pass pro. It's hard to criticize his hands when this is the first time he's ever played WR or returned kicks.

He impressed a lot of scouts this week because of his attitude and work ethic. Mayock criticized his abilities, but praised his progress and gave him a break because the nerve injury is still affecting his hand and he's having trouble catching/gripping the ball.

That said, I like the kid and I don't want Kubiak drafting him because I'm convinced he won't know how to use him.

Honoring Earl 34 01-27-2013 12:04 PM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WolverineFan (Post 2116735)
Guy had 700+ carries in his career and only real injury was a fluke nerve injury to his throwing elbow. He got dinged up some and would have to leave the game for a series sometimes, but he's not a feature back at the next level so he wouldn't take that same beating. He's a 10 touch guy like Sproles or McCluster.

He's the same size as Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson and almost as fast. He's proven that he has all the skills to run the ball. He just needs to learn pass pro. It's hard to criticize his hands when this is the first time he's ever played WR or returned kicks.

He impressed a lot of scouts this week because of his attitude and work ethic. Mayock criticized his abilities, but praised his progress and gave him a break because the nerve injury is still affecting his hand and he's having trouble catching/gripping the ball.

That said, I like the kid and I don't want Kubiak drafting him because I'm convinced he won't know how to use him.

That's the way I see it and Denard to . He said he wants to model his game after GBs Cobb .

WolverineFan 01-27-2013 12:13 PM

Re: Cause Everyone Else is Mock .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 2116747)
That's the way I see it and Denard to . He said he wants to model his game after GBs Cobb .

Well Cobb returns kicks, plays in the Slot, and lines up at RB so that's certainly the way I would use him. Cobb is much more refined and experienced though and probably more talented.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger