Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Gary Kubiak Presser (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96454)

76Texan 11-26-2012 04:14 PM

Gary Kubiak Presser

Was listening to it on 610, but I missed the first part.
Anybody caught it?

Sounds like James is day-to-day but will probably miss the next game.
Texans don't plan to bring in anybody new.

Tate is not practicing today (?) but should be back tomorrow.

76Texan 11-26-2012 04:15 PM

Re: Gary Kubiak Presser

Quote:

Originally Posted by srrono (Post 2066159)
Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
RT @NickScurfield: Rookie Whitney Mercilus starts at Will LB while Brooks Reed is out. Connor Barwin moves over to Sam #Texans

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
The SAM LB spot is a much better fit for Barwin who is a natural at that position. Mercilus gives Texans better edge speed at WLB now.

The loss of Brooks Reed may end up changing the future of the Texans OLB rotation and starting spots for years to come. We'll see.

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Kubiak said 2nd-year OLB Bryan Braman will be part of the rotation w/ Connor Barwin & Whitney Mercilus #Texans

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
"We went from suiting 9 linebackers up ... to now if we played a game today there'd be 7 available players," Kubiak #Texans

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
"Braman's been an exceptional special teams player for us. ... He's very talented. He can rush the passer. He can run." Kubiak said.

Yeah, I heard all that, too.

JCTexan 11-26-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

The loss of Brooks Reed may end up changing the future of the Texans OLB rotation and starting spots for years to come. We'll see.
What would they do differently?

76Texan 11-26-2012 04:20 PM

Shaun Cody is back. He should play this week.

J Jo is day to day, may be available.

76Texan 11-26-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCTexan (Post 2066164)

Barwin to play more at SOLB instead of his normal spot at WOLB.

thunderkyss 11-26-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

It moves Connor Barwin to SAM & allows us to put a true pass-rusher at the WOLB.

Maybe it will also open the doors for a Cushing/Reed ILB for the future.

nero THE zero 11-26-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

I think the presumption is that Mercilus becomes a fixture (as a natural fit) at WOLB and forces more competition at SOLB for Barwin and Reed.

Rey 11-26-2012 04:25 PM

Barwin is a much better fit a SOLB...

And Merci is a better fit for the WOLB position than Brooks or Barwin. I hope Braman gets some snaps at WOLB though because I want to see what he has as I haven't seen anything out of Merci that leads me to believe he's a long term solution for that position and the answer to our pass rush prayers...

DocBar 11-26-2012 04:33 PM

I just hope teams don't start running draw plays towards the gaping hole left by Merci as he speed rushes the outside. The dude is cat quick but he doesn't set the edge very well. Hopefully he is getting coached up on that and a week with a 1's reps will help him. Along with being able to ride the pine early in the season. He hasn't hit that rookie wall, yet.

I must say, the lineup looks interesting.

silentassassin 11-26-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocBar (Post 2066183)
I just hope teams don't start running draw plays towards the gaping hole left by Merci as he speed rushes the outside. The dude is cat quick but he doesn't set the edge very well. Hopefully he is getting coached up on that and a week with a 1's reps will help him. Along with being able to ride the pine early in the season. He hasn't hit that rookie wall, yet.

I must say, the lineup looks interesting.

Yeah, he's been caught a few times this year. I'm confident he'll get the hang of it as he'll get a lot more opportunities now, like you mentioned.

GuerillaBlack 11-26-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2066167)
Shaun Cody is back. He should play this week.

J Jo is day to day, may be available.

Hope they just hold JJo out until New England.

76Texan 11-26-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack (Post 2066197)

I hope so, too.
In fact, I think it would be good not to practice him for a few days, or just do some light stuff.

Also, just remember that Kubiak also said that Newton is day-to-day.
That and not bringing any new guy in probably means that his injury is not too bad???

badboy 11-26-2012 04:56 PM

I am probably in a fog but I think this forced change could make the team even stronger next season. Issue is can we keep winning this year? I say yes.

GP 11-26-2012 07:10 PM

I won't flinch when we draft LB in round 1 again.

It'll be an annual event.

Thorn 11-26-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GP (Post 2066263)
I won't flinch when we draft LB in round 1 again.

It'll be an annual event.

It'll be a much lower 1st round pick than we are used to. Hopefully though, we get used to it.

Texan_Bill 11-26-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack (Post 2066197)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2066199)
I hope so, too.
In fact, I think it would be good not to practice him for a few days, or just do some light stuff.

Also, just remember that Kubiak also said that Newton is day-to-day.
That and not bringing any new guy in probably means that his injury is not too bad???

I'm in y'alls camp!

Look, at the end of the day, we're not gonna go 15-1 in the regular season. So if they can get JJo extra rest, I'm all for it.

As far as Newton goes, I think Harris did "okay".. Not great, but by the same token, not terrible.

badboy 11-26-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 2066266)
It'll be a much lower 1st round pick than we are used to. Hopefully though, we get used to it.

Depending on one or two being there, I'll probably be hoping for a trade down for a high second and high 3rd round.

CloakNNNdagger 11-26-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2066176)
Barwin is a much better fit a SOLB...

And Merci is a better fit for the WOLB position than Brooks or Barwin. I hope Braman gets some snaps at WOLB though because I want to see what he has as I haven't seen anything out of Merci that leads me to believe he's a long term solution for that position and the answer to our pass rush prayers...

From what I've heard, he is obviously a beast on STs, but we haven't seen him in regular play because he has had a major problem assimilating the D LB playbook effectively enough for Wade. Despite this, at the right point, I would like to see what Braman can do when they "throw" him in there and let him rip.

Brisco_County 11-26-2012 10:47 PM

Why hasn't Barwin been playing SLB before now? It makes sense that he would, but what's Wade's reason?

kiwitexansfan 11-26-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisco_County (Post 2066416)
Why hasn't Barwin been playing SLB before now? It makes sense that he would, but what's Wade's reason?

My guess would be that Reed can't play the WLB and Barwin could.