Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   League will consider abolishing all blocks below the waist in 2013 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96413)

sometexansfan 11-23-2012 06:11 PM

League will consider abolishing all blocks below the waist in 2013

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...waist-in-2013/

Could hurt our running game.

Stemp 11-23-2012 06:14 PM

Re: League will consider abolishing all blocks below the waist in 2013

So if a Player falls and the defender "trips" over him it will be a penalty?
I see many teams taking advantage

TEXANRED 11-23-2012 06:22 PM

What's next? Defense only gets to field 7 players? Maybe the NFL gives teams a set number of blitz's they can use per game?

Say Watt 11-23-2012 06:24 PM

Oh geez... I swear these guys are destroying the game of football. It seems the powers that be don't seem to understand making changes without going to the complete opposite extreme.

fiasco west 11-23-2012 06:41 PM

This helps defenses....

but I wish they would just leave the game alone. It's a great game.

You don't see Baseball suddenly saying "No more bunts." or basketball going "You can now dribble with both hands."

Just leave it alone. Those blocks have been in the game forever, let it be.

steelbtexan 11-23-2012 07:04 PM

God'ell strikes again.

I may be watching alot more college football.

infantrycak 11-23-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXANRED (Post 2064935)
What's next? Defense only gets to field 7 players? Maybe the NFL gives teams a set number of blitz's they can use per game?

This is to help defenses.

I will believe when the rule is passed and this is the reason:

Quote:

As we explained last month, the cut block is as old as the game of football. Itís all physics. Small players canít block larger players without taking out the legs of the bigger players.
The other reason is the fact is while defensive players hate cut blocks and like to complain about them they result in injuries only very infrequently.

Corrosion 11-23-2012 07:59 PM

I think this would be in an effort by the league to create .... more scoring by means of more passing. Sneaky bastards ....

Playoffs 11-23-2012 08:48 PM

Along with more revealing uniforms in 2013 to increase the female audience,

This is where we're heading...

http://www.ballcharts.com/teams/file...2e098a8c87.jpg

JimBaker488 11-23-2012 08:49 PM

I dunno, what's that got to do with concussions ?

Rey 11-23-2012 08:55 PM

That would be a pretty significant change. Not only for the texans on their backside zone plays, but also for quick passes when o linemen are just trying to get the d linemen to get their hands down.

Also, smaller running backs won't be able cut bigger defenders when pass blocking.

Not a fan of that proposed change...

I understand taking out the dirty stuff, but football is violent. Players are going to get hurt. Even with the current rules guys still get hurt a bunch.

Just make it seven on seven and put flags on. For real. Up and down action, fewer injuries.

Rey 11-23-2012 08:55 PM

Maybe that little Sam girl will be able to play in the NFL one day after all.

PapaL 11-23-2012 09:25 PM

2 hand touch coming in 2014.

infantrycak 11-23-2012 10:45 PM

PFT has revised the story. The paragraph which said cut blocks were going to be eliminated now says:

Quote:

Instead, King believes that the chop block, which is legal in some situations, will be eliminated, and that downfield cut blocks (like the one that tore Chiefs safety Eric Berryís ACL last year) will be banned.
That would not affect pass protection or ZBS.

Playoffs 11-23-2012 11:01 PM

Series of tweets, to be read bottom to top.

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing
Quote:

I can tell you this: I believe the league is solidly behind this and will urge CompComm to aggressively study it.

To all those angry about no blocks below the waist, ask Brian Cushing--out for the year on sketchy low block--and Eric Berry, who lost 2011.

I look for the chop block to be eliminated. And I see downfield low blocks, like the one that injured Eric Berry, to be in trouble too.

I doubt sincerely it will pass. Head coaches/offensive coaches will go nuts over it. But I see two specific low blocks to be endangered now.

For 93 yrs, offensive players have blocked below the waist, w/restrictions. But for health/safety reasons, full ban to be considered.

Just reported on @NBCSN that NFL's Competition Committee will consider abolition of ALL blocks below the waist in 2013.

infantrycak 11-23-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

To all those angry about no blocks below the waist, ask Brian Cushing--out for the year on sketchy low block--and Eric Berry, who lost 2011.
I don't remember the Berry play but this rule change is irrelevant to Cushing. The block on him was already illegal.

Hervoyel 11-23-2012 11:43 PM

They'll consider it but they won't go through with it. Instead they'll call for stricter enforcement of the chop block rules and maybe up the penalty. Maybe they'll come up with some tweak that will only allow cut blocks in front of the play or something. They're not going to get rid of it though.

Think of the effect it would have on the running game. Not just the running game for teams like ours who use the zone scheme exclusively but all those teams who do a little bit of it to throw a wrinkle in. I bet you that making cut blocks entirely illegal would hurt the running game of at least half the teams in the NFL. There just aren't enough quality road-grader linemen out there which is really what the zone blocking scheme is all about. Taking a different kind of lineman that most teams might not want and putting him in a system that plays to his strengths. Much like the 3-4 defense takes those tweaners and makes use of them.

When the running game goes to hell in a hand basket the pass rushers will pin their ears back and start destroying QB's. Running backs won't even be able to cut them in pass protection. We're back to square one and they start trying to protect the QB's again.

At some point it stops being football entirely and just turns into some sort of "basketball on 100 yards of grass".

No, they'll pay some lip service to it and then stop short of changing it. That's my prediction.

Corrosion 11-24-2012 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hervoyel (Post 2065086)

At some point it stops being football entirely and just turns into some sort of "basketball on 100 yards of grass".

That I believe is what the league office wants .... more scoring . They have said as much on numerous occasions over the years. This is a means to that end .... Look at the defenseless reciever rules and other changes made in favor of offensive players in recent years.

If todays refs were to officiate a game played 20 years ago , they'd call pass interference on every play. Those rule changes werent made for player safety either (outside the defenseless reciever rule but it had the same effect) they were made to make the game more exciting and increase scoring.

Defenses were able to adjust over the years and catch back up to offenses .... but the removal of the cut block or any block below the waist would be a game changer , making RB's less valuable than fullbacks ....

We'd probably see 32 NFL teams go to some version of the chuck and duck.

Buddy Ryan would probably .... :gun:

Yankee_In_TX 11-24-2012 01:39 PM

NFL considers banning ALL below the waiste block

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ks-below-waist

So bye bye Texans offense???!?!!?!?!?!?

*waist*

ChampionTexan 11-24-2012 02:26 PM

Re: NFL considers banning ALL below the waiste block

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX (Post 2065234)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ks-below-waist

So bye bye Texans offense???!?!!?!?!?!?

*waist*

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96413