Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96335)

76Texan 11-20-2012 10:43 AM

An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
I've just got to give a shout out to Allan Ball who made 2 big plays in the waning moment to end the game.

First, he made a nice play to break up the ball to Robinson on a fade route on third and ten.

Then on 4th down, he stayed with Blackmon well on the deep dig route, helping to force an errant throw (along with the pass rush.)

On the first throw, he demonstrated that the CB doesn't have to turn his head and can still defend a pass if he plays his technique well.
(Derek Cox also defended a fade to AJ in the endzone in the same way.)

On the second throw, due to his position, he was able to look at the ball and was not called for PI even though he arrived a hair early, and the ball seemed to be a little behind the receiver.

TimeKiller 11-20-2012 11:14 AM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
He's made more than his share of tackles on teams too. I was against having him here but he's done a helluva lot better than I expected.

76Texan 11-20-2012 11:20 AM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeKiller (Post 2061771)
He's made more than his share of tackles on teams too. I was against having him here but he's done a helluva lot better than I expected.

Yeah, I think I remember at least one really nice tackle on ST

thunderkyss 11-20-2012 11:38 AM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2061748)
I've just got to give a shout out to Allan Ball who made 2 big plays in the waning moment to end the game.

First, he made a nice play to break up the ball to Robinson on a fade route on third and ten.

Then on 4th down, he stayed with Blackmon well on the deep dig route, helping to force an errant throw (along with the pass rush.)

I saw Jjo with that thing on his knee & I almost freak'd... then I saw Ball in the game & I had that
http://www.reactionface.info/sites/d...1620728168.gif

look on my face.

Then he made that one play, knocking the ball out of Robinson's hands as he went to the ground & I was like.... all-right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2061748)
On the first throw, he demonstrated that the CB doesn't have to turn his head and can still defend a pass if he plays his technique well.
(Derek Cox also defended a fade to AJ in the endzone in the same way.)

On the second throw, due to his position, he was able to look at the ball and was not called for PI even though he arrived a hair early, and the ball seemed to be a little behind the receiver.

Kj's break up of that TD was another where turning to look for the ball would have been bad.

TheIronDuke 11-20-2012 11:38 AM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Hope he's ready to be CB2 against the Lions. It was nice seeing him make some plays on defense, hope he can keep it up!

thunderkyss 11-20-2012 11:43 AM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2061780)
Yeah, I think I remember at least one really nice tackle on ST

Even during the game. I remember on one play, he didn't make the tackle, but he saw the LT coming at him & took his legs out. The LT crumpled on the ground & the rest of the team fell on top of him. Limiting their ability to get anything out of the play (I think they got a yard or two).

The highest compliment I can ever give anyone at any position, is that "he's a football player" I'm getting real close to using that for Kj. He does more than just cover WRs, he's tough & isn't scared to get dirty. He's very aware, just like on that play, he knows he doesn't stand a chance to go mano y mano vs a 320lb tackle, but he used that guys size to his advantage.

Not to short sell Jjo, but after the Schaub INT in OT, he came in & waylaid the TE to prevent the first down, setting up that groin play.

SheTexan 11-20-2012 11:43 AM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Maybe it just took him awhile to get the Cowboy crap out of him, and become a TRUE Texan!! Bradie James seems to be getting better each game also. Gotta be patient with those ex Cowboys ya know, they've been brainwashed!:zipit:

76Texan 11-20-2012 11:47 AM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2061801)
Hope he's ready to be CB2 against the Lions. It was nice seeing him make some plays on defense, hope he can keep it up!

It looks like Vance Joseph has been doing a good job.

The DBs have been playing with a lot of confidence.
They don't get panicky.

I told myself before the season that I'm gonna really enjoy this season and I'm having the time of my life.

Go Texans

76Texan 11-20-2012 11:49 AM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SheTexan (Post 2061806)
Maybe it just took him awhile to get the Cowboy crap out of him, and become a TRUE Texan!! Bradie James seems to be getting better each game also. Gotta be patient with those ex Cowboys ya know, they've been brainwashed!:zipit:

LOLlolLOL, Grandma is a comedian!

76Texan 11-20-2012 11:52 AM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2061805)
Even during the game. I remember on one play, he didn't make the tackle, but he saw the LT coming at him & took his legs out. The LT crumpled on the ground & the rest of the team fell on top of him. Limiting their ability to get anything out of the play (I think they got a yard or two).

The highest compliment I can ever give anyone at any position, is that "he's a football player" I'm getting real close to using that for Kj. He does more than just cover WRs, he's tough & isn't scared to get dirty. He's very aware, just like on that play, he knows he doesn't stand a chance to go mano y mano vs a 320lb tackle, but he used that guys size to his advantage.

Not to short sell Jjo, but after the Schaub INT in OT, he came in & waylaid the TE to prevent the first down, setting up that groin play.

The groin play , haha, that's a good one.
Like somebody said. Manning took one for the team.
He may have realized (or somebody might have yelled out "drop it") and then it happened, LOL

Fili 11-20-2012 11:57 AM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2061748)
I've just got to give a shout out to Allan Ball who made 2 big plays in the waning moment to end the game.

First, he made a nice play to break up the ball to Robinson on a fade route on third and ten.

Then on 4th down, he stayed with Blackmon well on the deep dig route, helping to force an errant throw (along with the pass rush.)

On the first throw, he demonstrated that the CB doesn't have to turn his head and can still defend a pass if he plays his technique well.
(Derek Cox also defended a fade to AJ in the endzone in the same way.)

On the second throw, due to his position, he was able to look at the ball and was not called for PI even though he arrived a hair early, and the ball seemed to be a little behind the receiver.

Saw him doing well in coverage and tackles. Better than when Kareem got his ankles broken and got burned by the rookie.

76Texan 11-20-2012 12:11 PM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fili (Post 2061814)
Saw him doing well in coverage and tackles. Better than when Kareem got his ankles broken and got burned by the rookie.

I've been saying (and also according to Kubiak) there was a mis-assignment there.
(JJo called it "the wrong coverage").

We had JJo playing the other receiver to the sideline.
Quin should never turned his head and doubled up with JJo from the get-go.

He needed to read the whole pass pattern.
If he did, he would have dropped back to the post to allow Manning to step down on the TE while protecting KJax on the inside release by Blackmon.

If your secondary keeps playing like that, the team will get burned left and right.

thunderkyss 11-20-2012 12:25 PM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2061811)
The groin play , haha, that's a good one.
Like somebody said. Manning took one for the team.
He may have realized (or somebody might have yelled out "drop it") and then it happened, LOL

I don't know, the D had it rolling at that time. If he'd have intercepted it, he would have tried to score. I have no doubt he would have made up the 20 yards he'd have lost on the catch, but we might have scored right there.... game over.

76Texan 11-20-2012 12:40 PM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2061830)
I don't know, the D had it rolling at that time. If he'd have intercepted it, he would have tried to score. I have no doubt he would have made up the 20 yards he'd have lost on the catch, but we might have scored right there.... game over.

24 yards.

Possible, but unlikely.
There was he FB on the outside release to contain the edge.
There were also a couple of unblocked receivers (besides Blackmon) in the middle of the field.
There were at least two unengaged O-linemen on that side.
There was the RB (also in the middle of the field after his blocking assignment).
And there was Henne.

I don't think Manning is going to go far.

BTW, the All-22 Film is available early this week on Game Rewind.

The Pencil Neck 11-20-2012 03:15 PM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Ball has been borderline great in ST. He's made a lot of plays to down punts inside the 10.

HOU-TEX 11-20-2012 03:19 PM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2061949)
Ball has been borderline great in ST. He's made a lot of plays to down punts inside the 10.

Agreed! I'm not ready to give him high praise as a DB yet, but his ST's have been superb.

Corrosion 11-20-2012 03:20 PM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Ball has been the best player on ST with the only possible exception being Braman from the start of the season.


Saw that last play 76 was talking about and said .... He's lucky he didnt get a PI call as he didnt get his head around and no matter the technique , thats what officials are looking at when they make that PI call , pretty unfair to the defensive player but like every other call , it favors the offense cause the league likes high scoring games.

76Texan 11-20-2012 03:28 PM

Re: An unlikely "hero" on the Texans defense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2061954)
Ball has been the best player on ST with the only possible exception being Braman from the start of the season.


Saw that last play 76 was talking about and said .... He's lucky he didnt get a PI call as he didnt get his head around and no matter the technique , thats what officials are looking at when they make that PI call , pretty unfair to the defensive player but like every other call , it favors the offense cause the league likes high scoring games.

I thought so too, but when I look closer, both plays were good, IMHO.

They were both bang bang plays, I don't think the refs can call PI, especially when they were letting 'em play pretty much the whole game, which I like.

Nothing blatant of the sort.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger