Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Ed Reed Suspended (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96327)

HOU-TEX 11-19-2012 03:05 PM

Ed Reed Suspended

Geez! Thoughts?

Quote:

Safety ED REED of the Baltimore Ravens has been suspended without pay for one game for repeated violations of the rule prohibiting hits to the head and neck area of defenseless players.
http://nflcommunications.com/2012/11...-safety-rules/

Texn4life 11-19-2012 03:25 PM

Re: Ed Reed Suspended

Don't agree with it at all. Although we need the Ravens to lose some games it seems like they're inconsistent with how they dish out punishment.

welsh texan 11-20-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texn4life (Post 2061340)
Don't agree with it at all. Although we need the Ravens to lose some games it seems like they're inconsistent with how they dish out punishment.

Agreed and also would prefer to see them lose games with their best players playing rather than through some totting up suspension too.

How long do we think Ed Reed has left? With him not the force he used to be and Pollard can e a liability in coverage too, perilously close to s being a position of weakness for the ravens

thunderkyss 11-20-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

I agree that they are being inconsistent & that's really the only thing I would ask them to change about how they do this.

I was listening to Mike & Mike in the morning on the way to work & they were astounded & totally against the fines, suspensions, and everything but the flag & cost of the penalty.

They didn't blame the refs, they said the refs are simply doing what the NFL has mandated they do. My point, is what else can the NFL do? If they've mandated that these hits will draw the flag, how can they not fine the players & how can they not increase the punishment for repeat offenders?

They are doing this, because they are being sued by former players. In the future, what would be their defense?

Prosecutor:So you knew these hits cause head injuries
NFL: Well, we didn't "know" but evidence strongly suggested
Prosecutor: But you mandated the officials throw the flag
NFL: Well, player safety is very important to us, so if there is a possibility...
Prosecutor: & we know these fines don't deter players... look what Chad Johnson said on such & such a day
If we don't think these hits lead to the kind of damage the NFL is being sued for, then "we" need to get on the former players for suing the NFL.

I don't necessarily believe that is the right course of action. I'm just saying the NFL is in between a rock & a hard place. They're not doing this because they can't find anything better to do. They're doing it to cover their butts.

In a sport as violent as the NFL is, they have to draw the line somewhere & above the shoulders on a defenseless player makes sense. Maybe they need to refine how they enforce it, but that's what we are seeing, in real time.

Hopefully sooner than later, they'll get it figured out. But right now, I can't see what else they can do.

HOU-TEX 11-20-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Do you happen to see the recent hit he was flagged for? It's a joke, man. The WR catches the ball and right when he turns up field to run Reed hits him as he finishes turning. So, imo, the WR turns into Reed's hit. I don't understand how the NFL can think these players can change their hitting angle in a nano second.

Texan_Bill 11-20-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2061703)
Do you happen to see the recent hit he was flagged for? It's a joke, man. The WR catches the ball and right when he turns up field to run Reed hits him as he finishes turning. So, imo, the WR turns into Reed's hit. I don't understand how the NFL can think these players can change their hitting angle in a nano second.

This^^^^ It is a joke.

Playoffs 11-20-2012 09:55 AM

Dangerous road the commish is going down, here. Reed didn't look to have the intent to go helmet to helmet. Ravens got a 15 yard penalty. Fine him and move on.

Say Watt 11-20-2012 10:23 AM

This is getting out of control. I said it in the Dobbins thread, and I'll say it again. Goodell is an arrogant, POS, douche.

Dread-Head 11-20-2012 10:25 AM

Times like now I MISS Hines Ward. The Steeler/Ravens game without him, Roethlissburger, Mendenhall, Lewis and Polamalu just wasn't the same. Hines used to PUNISH that muff-hugga. The Ravens and Steelers hate each other...and that game is so epic BECAUSE of all the cheap shots on both sides.

gtexan02 11-20-2012 10:26 AM

If the NFL is serious about player safety, they have to start suspending people. I have no idea if the Reed hit warranted even a penalty (from the sounds of it, it did not). I'm not discussing the correctness of the call-- thats on the refs. But if the rules say "repeat offenders will lose games" and then they don't do it, thats just being a paper tiger and doesn't do anything. Multiple players have said they aren't going to change the way they play -- in the face of big fines. Well, suspensions are the only way to go up from there.

Again, not saying I agree with this particular case (havent seen the play) but I have no problem with the league fining players and then suspending them if they legitimately do go helmet to helmet repeatedly.

The1ApplePie 11-20-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Watt (Post 2061737)
This is getting out of control. I said it in the Dobbins thread, and I'll say it again. Goodell is an arrogant, POS, douche.

Offense means better ratings and the NFL needs to protect themselves from future civil action in the courts, hence the obviously hollow focus on "player safety".

Tailgate 11-20-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2061703)

As Dilfer was saying on SC, it almost feels as if lawyers are running the show now.

Say Watt 11-20-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The1ApplePie (Post 2061743)
Offense means better ratings and the NFL needs to protect themselves from future civil action in the courts, hence the obviously hollow focus on "player safety".

I guess so. It just gets ridiculous that they don't actually focus on "player safety" and instead just look at "offensive player safety". The fact that Reed can get suspended for this but the guy that injured Cushing gets a slap on the wrist is an insult to every defensive player in the NFL.

thunderkyss 11-20-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dread-Head (Post 2061739)
The Ravens and Steelers hate each other...and that game is so epic BECAUSE of all the cheap shots on both sides.

Just don't hit them in the head, that's all they're saying. Hit the guy, hit him hard. Knock him off his feet, knock a lung out, break his lis franc.

Just don't hit him in the head.

infantrycak 11-20-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtexan02 (Post 2061740)
If the NFL is serious about player safety, they have to start suspending people. I have no idea if the Reed hit warranted even a penalty (from the sounds of it, it did not).

What the rule should be can be debated but the hit was a clear violation of the current rule. The other thing which is indisputable is Reed is a repeat offender - this isn't even a 2nd or 3rd offense.

thunderkyss 11-20-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2061829)
What the rule should be can be debated but the hit was a clear violation of the current rule. The other thing which is indisputable is Reed is a repeat offender - this isn't even a 2nd or 3rd offense.

I think they said it's his third in 3 years. That's where I think it gets sketchy. If it was 3 times in 2 years, or 5 times in 4 years, I wouldn't have an issue at all.

I just find it hard to believe that Ed Reed is the first guy to have three of those hits in 3 years.

He may be.... I just don't think he's that kind of player to where he'd be the first one with that kind of a spread.

infantrycak 11-20-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2061834)
I think they said it's his third in 3 years.

That is correct - one in 2010 and then this is his 2nd this year.

Sounds like his not attempting to wrap up was also part of their consideration - from PFT.com NFL VP Ray Anderson:

Quote:

We want him to hit below the head and neck area, Anderson said. Wed like to see him use his shoulder. Wed like to see him wrap up in a more traditional technique. But we absolutely do not want to see head to head, shoulder, forearm to head or neck area, no real attempt to wrap, and almost going missile-like up high. We cannot have those in the game any longer.

gtexan02 11-20-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2061829)

Simple as that then. Play by the rules or don't play. The NFL, if it wants to take player safety seriously, has got to start suspending people like Ed Reed. Does it change the game for the better or the worse? Thats certainly debatable. But the violation and the punishment don't sound like they are debatable

thunderkyss 11-20-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2061836)
That is correct - one in 2010 and then this is his 2nd this year.

Sounds like his not attempting to wrap up was also part of their consideration - from PFT.com NFL VP Ray Anderson:

Ok... I didn't know it was two this year. I don't have a problem with it.

Rey 11-20-2012 12:44 PM

I've lost a little interest in the NFL as a whole. Still love football, but I just disagree with some of the calls and penalties they dole out. I don't think Dobbins should have been flagged nor fined and I don't believe Reed should have been either.

Take out the egregious stupid head hunting stuff. That's fine, but this borderline stuff should be left a lone.

It's football. Guys will get injured. Players are going to get concussions. Even with the amped up rules it's still happening. The only thing is that now you have a bunch of berderline BS stuff being called making the game less enjoyable IMO. Guys should be thinking about making good, clean hard hits...Not about how they might need to ease up or aim super low or not even hit hard because they don't want to get fined....

The game moves too fast for that. Saw a lot of talk about how Dobbins should have pulled up or some junk...Cutler is running towards him, Dobbins towards him...Two big fast guys running towards each other in open space is going to lead to a hard impact...Dobbins eases up there and it's possible Cutler pump fakes him and runs right past him.

Taking the aggression out of football is taking out a big element of the game.

Again, take the dirty purposeful head hunting out. That's fine. But penalizing guys who are making incidental contact because they didn't go way out of their way to avoid contact is bad for the game IMO.