Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Down 7 in the 4th, Watt dances after a sack (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96323)

Allstar 11-19-2012 11:37 AM

Down 7 in the 4th, Watt dances after a sack

Doesn't seem like the JJ we know and love, but OH, WAIT

The Reason for Watt's Sack Dance Yesterday

Quote:

What appeared to be a departure from his usual sack celebration meant a lot more to Texans defensive end J.J. Watt on Sunday.

It was a nod to the Berry children, with whom Watt has grown close.

“I was eating dinner at their house on Friday night,” Watt said. “They said they’re going to be watching the game. They said give us a signal. I said OK, when I get a sack, I’ll do the wheelchair.”

Willa, Aaron and Peter Berry were orphaned July 2, 2011, when a head-on collision on U.S. 285 killed their parents. The accident severely injured Willa, who was then 6, and paralyzed Aaron, then 8, and Peter, then 9, from the waist down.

The children’s story caught the attention of people and organizations locally and nationally. They got visits from athletes and donations from teams and other celebrities.

Watt befriended the children beyond the occasional fundraiser. He played wheelchair basketball with them last week, which gave him the idea for the post-sack celebration.

It’s not the first time Watt — who normally salutes after sacks — has promised a sack celebration to someone. Last weekend before the Texans’ Sunday night game in Chicago, Watt told Blake Geoffrion of the Montreal Canadiens he had a special sack celebration planned in his honor.

Geoffrion, who, like Watt, went to Wisconsin, fractured his skull a few days prior. The first tweet he sent after the injury and a subsequent surgery was about his conversation with Watt the day the Texans played the Bears.

But his game against the Bears was rare in that Watt did not record a sack. Sunday he got one, making that 111/2 this season. And he was ready.

“That was the wheelchair,” Watt said. “Apparently people are saying it’s a dance.”

Playoffs 11-19-2012 11:45 AM

Re: Down 7 in the 4th, Watt dances after a sack

Gotta say, it's the measure of a real man to follow through with his commitment to be a special part of these kids lives like JJ has. His word is his bond -- they call that integrity. http://horatians.org/Smileys/default/salute_smiley.gif

HOU-TEX 11-19-2012 11:51 AM

It looked like he was skiing to me, but what the heck do I know.

It was a pretty hard lick he put on him too.

Quick II Draw 11-19-2012 12:19 PM

Can anyone provide a video or gif of this?

gtexan02 11-19-2012 12:23 PM

That sack allowed us to get the ball back and score the tying TD. Reason enough to dance to me

thunderkyss 11-19-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick II Draw (Post 2061215)
Can anyone provide a video or gif of this?

All I got is a jpg.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...39-560x600.jpg

Big Lou 11-19-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2061223)

Looks like he's pulling his pants up to me...... LOL

Marcus 11-19-2012 02:34 PM

I know I'm going to get crucified for this . . .

But when I saw him dancing after the sack, I commented out loud, "WTF is he doing dancing when we're losing?"

I wasn't cool with it then, and I'm still not. I don't care what reason he had. It just looked bad. There's a time and place, and then there's a time and a place. And celebrating when you're losing is not the time or the place.

rmartin65 11-19-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus (Post 2061311)

But when I saw him dancing after the sack, I commented out loud, "WTF is he doing dancing when we're losing?"

I wasn't cool with it then, and I'm still not. I don't care what reason he had. It just looked bad. There's a time and place, and then there's a time and a place. And celebrating when you're losing is not the time or the place.

Nah dude, I agree with you. I dislike dances in general though, so I am a bit biased.

buddyboy 11-19-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

If you call it a dance, then you're right, that's celebrating when you're losing. If it's a message to someone that has special meaning, then it's not "celebrating".

Texn4life 11-19-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

I don't think you'll get crucified for it. It's your opinion and I can see where you're coming from. I personally didn't think much of it at the time either way. It was a big play at the time so I didn't mind him doing his dance. If we were getting blown out I'm sure I'd feel different, but he did it with a personal message behind it. Much different than Cam doing the Super Man while down by 3 touchdowns.

GlassHalfFull 11-19-2012 03:36 PM

When I saw it live, I thought, "someone on TT is going to be upset since we are down"

The back story is great and thanks to the OP for posting it for us to see. I have no problem with it, especially given the reason behind it.

ajohnson80 11-19-2012 04:11 PM

It was a big sack, it helped the momentum flow our way. I'm not going to lie i celebrated, but i saluted. Now i have to go learn this wheelchair dance! :d:

ObsiWan 11-19-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyboy (Post 2061335)
If you call it a dance, then you're right, that's celebrating when you're losing. If it's a message to someone that has special meaning, then it's not "celebrating".

I take this viewpoint. For this occasion only.
The man made a promise to a kid that was special to him and going thru some tough times.
While I agree that dancing when you're losing is normally dumb and inappropriate; but I think he has a get out of jail free card for this instance.

Perki-Perk 11-19-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2061369)
I take this viewpoint. For this occasion only.
The man made a promise to a kid that was special to him and going thru some tough times.
While I agree that dancing when you're losing is normally dumb and inappropriate; but I think he has a get out of jail free card for this instance.

Anytime someone makes a big play that can potentially put their team back in the game or on top, I don't see the problem.

What's the fun if they can't get the offense hyped up who are about to go out on the next possession. Being old and grumpy is dumb in my opinion...haha

If it were for a reason or not, at that point in the game, I was celebrating with him. Now I see it had a double meaning.

disaacks3 11-19-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah, it bugged me a bit too, but it was still a stop of sorts.

The cheerleaders dancing right in front of a downed player bugged me FAR more. It was really strange.

Marcus 11-19-2012 04:26 PM

I dunno. Kinda as the smell of damage control if you ask me. But whatever.

I just hope he's smart enough not to do it again the next time the defense is getting their heads handed to them.

76Texan 11-19-2012 04:34 PM

It's a good thing we won.

drs23 11-19-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus (Post 2061377)

I just hope he's smart enough not to do it again the next time the defense is getting their heads handed to them.

I can't see it that way. Truthfully, at the time it rubbed me the wrong way as well. After hearing the explanation behind I have no problem with it whatsoever. JJ made a promise and he kept it. A man of his word and I respect that.

Texn4life 11-19-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus (Post 2061377)

Damage control? Now I feel like you're coming dangerously close to questioning his character. If JJ says he did it for the Berry kids then I believe him. No one would throw these kids in the mix to try to cover their butt. You can not like the fact that he did it, but to think its damage control is just recklessly silly in my book. He's been nothing but stand up since he's been here, broke out a new move, and explained why he did. I'm sure he was asked what that meant and he said why.

For the record I thought he was doing the cat daddy when I first saw it. Search youtube Kate Upton doing the cat daddy and you'll see what I'm talking about. You can thank me later.