Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   The Oilers would have lost this game (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96135)

Hookem Horns 11-11-2012 11:05 PM

The Oilers would have lost this game

I couldn't help but keep thinking tonight that a Bud Adams team would have choked in this game. However with this team I was never even really concerned tonight. I just felt the whole game that they were going to win it. I can't say I ever felt that way with the Oilers.

Anyway, cheers to Bob McNair for finally bringing a legit franchise to H Town. :wesmantexanfan:

silentassassin 11-11-2012 11:08 PM

Re: The Oilers would have lost this game

Very grateful, of course. But we'd be singing a different tune just two years ago.

GuerillaBlack 11-11-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem Horns (Post 2055950)
I couldn't help but keep thinking tonight that a Bud Adams team would have choked in this game. However with this team I was never even really concerned tonight. I just felt the whole game that they were going to win it. I can't say I ever felt that way with the Oilers.

Anyway, cheers to Bob McNair for finally bringing a legit franchise to H Town. :wesmantexanfan:

I felt like we weren't going to lose also. Didn't feel nervous like past close games.

gwallaia 11-11-2012 11:11 PM

The Oilers would have lost this game with a dramatic bone-headed play which would have resulted in a 16-13 victory for Chicago in OT.

RCPM 11-11-2012 11:13 PM

who f'ing cares!

TexansFanatic 11-11-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCPM (Post 2055965)
who f'ing cares!

I care. I couldn't be happier that the city of Houston fired its NFL owner and replaced him with a far better one.

Great thread.

stingray 11-11-2012 11:16 PM

Don't compare, just look ahead!!! :texflag:

Hookem Horns 11-11-2012 11:18 PM

I think all of us old Oilers guard know what I am talking about. It's different times now. No Bud Adams, not choking when expectations are high.

When this game was starting I remembered back to that Ian Howfield game back in 91 in Washington. The Oilers were 7-1 and the Redskins were 7-1 or 8-0, don't remember for sure. The Oilers were finally trying to prove they were an elite team going against the NFC's best.

Ian Howfield lines up for a chip shot to win the game in the final seconds and he misses, the Oilers go on to lose in OT.

Anyway, many parallels with this game. However the outcome was different. The Texans didn't choke. They beat the Bears at their own game.

Next up Jax which means 9-1.

BTW, speaking of Bud Adams this Bears team put up 50 plus point on him last week and blew his arse all the way back to Houston. How many did they put up against the Son of Bum?

TexansFanatic 11-11-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem Horns (Post 2055972)
When this game was starting I remembered back to that Ian Howfield game back in 91 in Washington. The Oilers were 7-1 and the Redskins were 7-1 or 8-0, don't remember for sure. The Oilers were finally trying to prove they were an elite team going against the NFC's best.

Ian Howfield lines up for a chip shot to win the game in the final seconds and he misses, the Oilers go on to lose in OT.

Was just talking about that game with a buddy of mine last night.

That Oilers loss/choke was directly attributable to Bud Adams' influence on that team.

The only reason the Oilers didn't have a real NFL kicker that season was due to an infuriating tendency to cut corners. The Oilers figured any kicker was as good as another.

Marcus 11-11-2012 11:40 PM

Those of us who used to follow the Oilers have deep scars. It's ingrained in us to expect the other shoe to drop, to expect them to blow it somehow in the most aggravating way possible.

Those of you who weren't around back then, count your blessings.

houstonspartan 11-12-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansFanatic (Post 2055968)
I care. I couldn't be happier that the city of Houston fired its NFL owner and replaced him with a far better one.

Great thread.

I've only lived in Houston for about 10 years, so I don't have the deep knowledge of the Oilers and what happened when Bud Adams was here; but, from what I've heard and read, Houston ended up with a much better owner than before. And, in the bigger scheme, the owner matters.

swyyyguy 11-12-2012 12:21 AM

i'm usually a pretty pessimistic fan but for some reason i was never really nervous throughout this game either.

ItsMyFault 11-12-2012 12:23 AM

**** the Oilers.

The past is the past.

EVOLVIST 11-12-2012 12:37 AM

I still have a lot of love for the memory of the Oilers. Not the owner, not the circumstances of their departure, but the memory that still remains engrained into the very fiber of this city.

To say screw the Oilers, to me anyway, is like saying to screw the memory of a dead relative simply because they are no longer around. I will never do that. Instead, I will remember the fond times. Thank you.

Having said that, after all those years with the Oilers, with all the ups and downs, I don't know what's wrong with me, but with the Texans 8-1, I don't know how to act! Haha!

Sure, I'm happy...very much so! It's just that this seems like a dream, and that it's too good to be true sometimes. I guess I am preconditioned then, though I'm starting to come around...because yes, our dead relative would probably have choked in this game, but our 10-year-old heir is really showing some mettle.

Showtime100 11-12-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

I think all of us old Oilers guard know what I am talking about. It's different times now. No Bud Adams, not choking when expectations are high.

Anyway, many parallels with this game. However the outcome was different. The Texans didn't choke. They beat the Bears at their own game.

BTW, speaking of Bud Adams this Bears team put up 50 plus point on him last week and blew his arse all the way back to Houston. How many did they put up against the Son of Bum?

At the same time along came a man named Bum and suddenly we won against a Dolphin and Charger team in the playoffs and on the road.

But I certainly agree with your sentiment. Being an Oilers fan wasn't easy, and the mentality we derived from that team still lives in our worst fears.

BlueSteel 11-12-2012 05:27 AM

Quote:

I am right there with ya. I honestly could not be happier to be a fan of the Texans right now. It has not always been this good and we will have tough times again at some point in our future. However, this ride has been a blast!

417Texan 11-12-2012 07:02 AM

Houston team is mentally tough after the heartbeaker loses last few years I think it prepare them to kick ass this year. This team never should be compared to the Oilers.

Thorn 11-12-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Oh, I know exactly what you are talking about here. The Texans are different from the Oilers, and better. That doesn't mean I'll forget the wonderfullness that was Earl Campbell or the Warren Moon run and shoot days, or The House of Pain, but this team is just so well balanced and better put togeather.

Hell, I'm even beginning to think Kubiak might pull this off.

Double Barrel 11-12-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCPM (Post 2055965)
who f'ing cares!

Obviously the owner of Texans Talk cares. :whistle:

Quote:

yep. I imagine that every old Oilers fan has that 'feeling' deeply ingrained into their football DNA. You have that little voice in your head reminding you of the so-called "other shoe" and it's inevitable drop.

That will probably be with us until the Texans go to the Super Bowl. That's the only cure for "chokaphobia", as far as I know.

Marcus 11-12-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 2056233)
Obviously the owner of Texans Talk cares. :whistle:

yep. I imagine that every old Oilers fan has that 'feeling' deeply ingrained into their football DNA. You have that little voice in your head reminding you of the so-called "other shoe" and it's inevitable drop.

That will probably be with us until the Texans go to the Super Bowl. That's the only cure for "chokaphobia", as far as I know.

Just going to the Super Bowl won't cure our 'disease'. Only winning it will. That's the only thing, that will exorcise these demons.