Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   NFL Safety Presents Formula to Defeat Texans (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96109)

CloakNNNdagger 11-10-2012 05:32 PM

NFL Safety Presents Formula to Defeat Texans

Matt Bowen, 7 year vet NFL SS and regular contributor to at nationalfootballpost.com schemes out a Bears strategy that he advocates to take down the Texans.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...2751122.column

Bears' Dino stem could break Texans
Marshall can get isolated on cornerback and put him in difficult trailing position

http://www.trbimg.com/img-509ed2f9/t...n-20121110/600

To score points against the Texans' top-tier defense, Jay Cutler and the Bears will have to take some shots when they get into the strike zone (20- to 35-yard line). Look for deep inside breaking routes that target the secondary with Brandon Marshall as the primary read.

As shown here, the Bears have their Posse personnel (three wide receivers, one tight end, one running back) in a Doubles alignment against the Texans' base nickel sub package (five defensive backs). They will run the Dino Double Post and put stress on the top of the Texans' Cover-4 scheme.

Quote:

Bears route scheme

The Dino Double Post is one of the top Cover-4 beaters in the NFL. There are two deep inside breaking routes to the open (weak) side of the formation with Earl Bennett (H) on the inside post and Marshall (X) adding the Dino stem (to corner, break to the post) on the outside post. To the closed (strong) side of the formation, tight end Kellen Davis (Y) runs the deep 7 (corner) route with Devin Hester (Z) on the shallow Smash concept.

Set bait for safety

In Cover-4 (four-deep, three-under), the safeties are taught to read the release and route stem of the No. 2 receivers (H, Y). If a No. 2 stems past a depth of 12 yards, the safeties match to the vertical concept. If a No. 2 breaks his route under a depth of 12 yards (curl, option, dig), the safeties look outside to No. 1 and drive to the inside hip on the post route to create a "bracket" coverage. However, with Bennett running the inside post, the safety (FS) has to match the route and leave the cornerback in a one-on-one situation versus Marshall. That's a tough assignment playing from an outside leverage position.
Be sure to read the rest of the article (link above) for the whole strategy that is proposed for the downfall of the Texans.

Playoffs 11-10-2012 05:45 PM

Re: NFL Safety Presents Formula to Defeat Texans

Yeah, but Coach Wade sez we gonna double team Marshall. http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...lisspurple.gif

NastyNate 11-10-2012 06:20 PM

Jay ain't going to be upright waiting for 20+ yard routes to come available.

EllisUnit 11-10-2012 06:38 PM

HAHAHAHAHA with the bears o-line, that sounds like a hell of a plan, apparently they will leave cutler no help either. Well well JJ will get an early thanksgiving if they do that.

Fred 11-10-2012 06:42 PM

The diagram is missing the part where a little square named JJ swats the little circle named QB to the ground.

Brandon420tx 11-10-2012 07:13 PM

I didn't know we still run a base 4-3 defense either

DocBar 11-10-2012 07:18 PM

Matt Bowen don't know ****. If Cutler isn't hitting short slants, he's hitting the turf. I see 8-10 sacks Sunday nite for the good guys.

Corrosion 11-10-2012 07:32 PM

Sure , in a perfect world that play design might cause issues for a defense .... But this aint a perfect world , the Bears OL has been pretty poor in protecting Cutler and I expect the Texans to amplify that trend.

CloakNNNdagger 11-10-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon420tx (Post 2054231)

Funny, the Texans official ROSTER lists A. Smith and JJ as DE.:kitten:

Corrosion 11-10-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon420tx (Post 2054231)

They run a 3-4 on early downs but swap to a more traditional 4-3 / or more accurately a 5/2 on passing downs.

76Texan 11-10-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2054240)
They run a 3-4 on early downs but swap to a more traditional 4-3 / or more accurately a 5/2 on passing downs.

Actually, against a single-back formation like that, we could be in a 4-2 like Bowen suggested or we could be in a dime package (especially in passing situation).

76Texan 11-10-2012 09:00 PM

However, I don't see the Texans playing zone unless they are 10 points ahead or it was like with a couple minutes to go in the half. Even then, we should play strictly 4-deep; that means the TE won't be double-teamed by Jackson and Manning.

RTP2110 11-10-2012 09:04 PM

I think N,M, & S stand for nickelback DB, mike LB, & sam LB

76Texan 11-10-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTP2110 (Post 2054262)
I think N,M, & S stand for nickelback DB, mike LB, & sam LB

Yupe, that's one way to denote the players in a 4-2 nickel package. To be technically correct in Wade's scheme, we have a Mike and a Mo as the two LBs.

Brandon420tx 11-10-2012 09:58 PM

Still in that situation we normally go Dime with 3 safeties (With GQ hovering)

76Texan 11-10-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon420tx (Post 2054273)
Still in that situation we normally go Dime with 3 safeties (With GQ hovering)

That's what I said earlier, us being in a dime package. However, there might be situation where they run a no huddle up tempo offense to keep us from substituting and we have to stay in a nickel package that we started out with on first and ten.

Scooter 11-10-2012 10:43 PM

that play dies on the board because nickel (mccain) would be man to man on H, not in an underneath zone. FS (demps) will be deeper and sitting in that area unless we're blitzing - in which case cutler would be sacked twice before that route develops. S (quin) would be man on the tightend, with SS (manning) roaming, blitzing, or deep.

76Texan 11-10-2012 10:46 PM

Here are some of the routes the Bears might run with Marshall.
I don't know if we will see much if any deep route tomorrow due to the weather, but one never knows.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...hall-2230.html

Norg 11-10-2012 11:31 PM

there is a blue print do everything the packers did... LOL

76Texan 11-10-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norg (Post 2054288)
there is a blue print do everything the packers did... LOL

Can't turn Cutler into Rodgers though!