Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Bills Q&A with Tim Graham of the Buffalo News (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95891)

Texans_Chick 11-01-2012 11:51 AM

Bills Q&A with Tim Graham of the Buffalo News

Bills Q&A with Tim Graham of the Buffalo News + stats, more

This turned out well. Some Q&As are better than others. This is a good one.

Oof talk about Mario.

stingray 11-01-2012 12:01 PM

Re: Bills Q&A with Tim Graham of the Buffalo News

Quote:

Veteran defensive linemen Kyle Williams and Chris Kelsay have called out the defense for a lack of effort, and although they didn’t name names, it’s understood around the locker room they were referring to Mario Williams and defensive tackle Marcell Dareus, last year’s third overall draft choice who has struggled mightily against the run.”

:mariopalm:

LondonTex 11-01-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

"Texans fans’ main response is “Waaaah,” and Buffalo fans’ main response is “Oh great, we are paying you all this money, you are not performing, and you are basically saying you settled for us.”
haha - Roll on Sunday

Playoffs 11-01-2012 12:37 PM

Wow.
Quote:

Here’s an amazing stat that sums up how dangerous Spiller has been: ProFootballFocus.com says he’s averaging 4.7 yards AFTER CONTACT this season. Maurice Jones-Drew led the NFL in rushing last year and averaged 4.7 yards totally.
Ruh-roh.
Quote:

“Right tackle Erik Pears is having a bad season, and now he gets to face J.J. Watt. Pears is on pace to allow the most sacks and to commit the most penalties of his career. The Bills have given up only eight sacks, but three of them have been charged to Pears.

ObsiWan 11-01-2012 12:51 PM

Are the bolded little nuggets bothering anyone else besides me?

Quote:

Football Outsiders Efficiency Ratings, Week 8 (Considers per play situation compared to league average factoring in opponent–more than just total yards in conventional stats. More info at FO FAQs page)
Bills:
Overall (27th),
Offense (17th), Pass offense (21st), Rush offense (7th).
Defense (30th), Pass defense (28th), Rush defense (32th) ,
Special Teams (4th)

Texans:
Overall (7th),
Offense (9th), Pass offense (8th), Rush offense (8th).
Defense (2nd), Pass defense (2nd), Rush defense (10th),
Special Teams (32nd).
Their running game is listed higher than ours and our rush defense hasn't been top notch so far.

And then there's that special teams elephant in the room.....
:toropalm:

Hagar 11-01-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

What do you think is the best way to beat the Bills?

“Run, run, run, play action, run, run, play action. I wonder if the Texans know how to do those things …
Nice article. I enjoyed this quote.

LondonTex 11-01-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2048751)

Not overly concerned, no.

Quote:

Their running game is listed higher than ours and our rush defense hasn't been top notch so far.
They may be ranked 1 place above us on rushing offense but lets not forget they have the most generous defense on giving up rushing yards. I'm fancying our RBs to put up some pretty decent yardage.

Quote:

And then there's that special teams elephant in the room.....
Most of their final practice before the bye was spent on special teams, trying new things with young players. Kubes said they are starting from scratch on terms of ST - mixing things up, using starters etc.... They know it's a huge problem and and I reckon they'll be working on it a heck of a lot...I'm assuming they have some ideas on how to improve and ya never know - we may see a more productive ST this week. :)

Was ST this bad last season?

drs23 11-01-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonTex (Post 2048765)
Not overly concerned, no.

They may be ranked 1 place above us on rushing offense but lets not forget they have the most generous defense on giving up rushing yards. I'm fancying our RBs to put up some pretty decent yardage.

Most of their final practice before the bye was spent on special teams, trying new things with young players. Kubes said they are starting from scratch on terms of ST - mixing things up, using starters etc.... They know it's a huge problem and and I reckon they'll be working on it a heck of a lot...I'm assuming they have some ideas on how to improve and ya never know - we may see a more productive ST this week. :)

All true, but it's pretty bad when the Head Coach has to step in to correct Teams play. Could be seeing the end of Coach Joe's tenure here. He has not evolved. At all.

Playoffs 11-01-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonTex (Post 2048765)

13th in 2011, 23rd in 2010.

LondonTex 11-01-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drs23 (Post 2048767)
All true, but it's pretty bad when the Head Coach has to step in to correct Teams play. Could be seeing the end of Coach Joe's tenure here. He has not evolved. At all.

Fair point - shouldn't be happening
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2048770)
13th in 2011, 23rd in 2010.

. Is Joe seriously that useless ? Why have they stuck with him ?

TexanSam 11-01-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonTex (Post 2048773)
Fair point - shouldn't be happening

So it's been getting progressively worse then. Is Joe seriously that useless ? Why have they stuck with him ?

13th isn't bad. But unless it improves, this will be two out of three years where ST is bad. But look on the bright side, Graham's only missed one kick :)

ChampionTexan 11-01-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

I think there's been a perception problem about the run D based on a couple of isolated instances (Chris Johnson's game against us for one). The longest run against us this season has was 19 yards which is best in the league.

Overall, it's 4th in the league at 83 YPG, but even on a yards per carry basis it's top 10 at 3.9.

I'm not saying it's a stone wall, but it's not as porous as some folks seem to believe it is either.

LondonTex 11-01-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanSam (Post 2048774)
13th isn't bad. But unless it improves, this will be two out of three years where ST is bad. But look on the bright side, Graham's only missed one kick :)

sorry, I edited my post before you posted your quote of mine. 13th isn't that bad, true. I hope we see an improvement soon...apart from ST the teams in pretty good shape right?

Señor Stan 11-01-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampionTexan (Post 2048789)
I think there's been a perception problem about the run D based on a couple of isolated instances (Chris Johnson's game against us for one). The longest run against us this season has was 19 yards which is best in the league.

Overall, it's 4th in the league at 83 YPG, but even on a yards per carry basis it's top 10 at 3.9.

I'm not saying it's a stone wall, but it's not as porous as some folks seem to believe it is either.

Remind me how many rushing TDs the Texans D has given up this year...

hint...it is the same number of TD passes Vince Young has this year...

TackHammer 11-01-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Señor Stan (Post 2048796)
Remind me how many rushing TDs the Texans D has given up this year...

hint...it is the same number of TD passes Vince Young has this year...

I think it's ten games,possibly eleven without a rushing TD if you go back to last season as well.

Lucky 11-01-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think there's been a perception problem about the run D based on a couple of isolated instances (Chris Johnson's game against us for one).

Johnson got some cheap yards against the Texans after decided they couldn't pass. Spiller might do the same this week, after the Bills get down 3 scores.

Speedy 11-02-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Numbers like that (the 83 YDS per game) can be a little misleading. The Texans have the 2nd least rush attempts against them. Baltimore, a great rushing team, only had 55 yards on the Texans, not because the Texans shut them down, but because the Ravens only ran it 12 times because they fell behind.

TimeKiller 11-02-2012 07:36 AM

One quote in here gave me the fear. How the Bills like to spread out a defense. You know who else plays spread offense? Packers. Plus, if they spread out the Texans and let Spiller loose on a run, what then?

Couple that with a D that's been embarrassed and has at least one player coming to prove something to the Texans?

I smell a trap. Hope the bye week didn't break their focus.

Scooter 11-02-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeKiller (Post 2049125)
One quote in here gave me the fear. How the Bills like to spread out a defense. You know who else plays spread offense? Packers. Plus, if they spread out the Texans and let Spiller loose on a run, what then?

the difference between the packers and bills is that one is capable of going downfield with the help of the league mvp. think david carr in a spread offense, lots of quick throws and dumps. sure it will neutralize a lot of our pass rush, but we cover as well as just about anyone. with our line getting their hands up, and our offense off a bye, a dink and dunk bills team isnt in the same ballpark as the packers.

it does smell like a trap, but then again it sounds like kubiak has been unusually full of vinegar lately, and we tend to take it to another level when kubiak raises hell.

silentassassin 11-02-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeKiller (Post 2049125)

Couple that with a D that's been embarrassed and has at least one player coming to prove something to the Texans?

I smell a trap. Hope the bye week didn't break their focus.

You're right about the potential for a trap. However, let's not forget that this isn't Aaron Rodgers running the offense.

The Bills haven't shown any ability to push the ball downfield. Most of their offense in the passing game comes from short throws, which lead to their downfall last season.

Teams began picking up on it, and by around week 6 last year, their offense became largely ineffective at times and that magical 4-0 start looked like a tease.