Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Would Phillips leave after a Super Bowl? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95783)

badboy 10-27-2012 05:51 PM

Would Phillips leave after a Super Bowl?

Health and commitment kept Wade a Texan this season. If we win Super Bowl, would he still have same commitment? He still yearns to be a head coach imo. There should be teams willing to give a defensive guru with Texans stats and a ring a chance to be head coach.

I hope McNair has a huge bonus plan to keep him in Houston. Wade is under contract thru 2013 but can leave for H.C. position. If he goes, I am not sure if we have his replacement in house.

Vinny 10-27-2012 05:55 PM

Re: Would Phillips leave after a Super Bowl?

he may leave with or without winning a SB. Enjoy him while you have him because the only thing that moves more than the players are the coaches. Hopefully he retires here but somehow I don't think that is going to happen.

The Pencil Neck 10-27-2012 05:58 PM

Doesn't even have to win a SB. This defense just has to keep putting up good numbers and I'm afraid he's going to have a lot of opportunities to go be an HC.

And this is my biggest fear. We saw how the defense suffered when Wade was out at the end of last season. It's not just the defense and the players that make it work, it's his play-calling. We need that.

I hope, for my own sake, that he stays and decides that it's a lot more fun being a DC and stomping people's lights out than having to be an HC and deal with all the crap that falls in the HC's lap.

But I doubt that will happen. I can't see how he won't be an HC somewhere next year and I don't know if we can replace him.

Big Lou 10-27-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 2046180)
he may leave with or without winning a SB. Enjoy him while you have him because the only thing that moves more than the players are the coaches. Hopefully he retires here but somehow I don't think that is going to happen.

Hope he stays, but at least with his arrival Bob see's what a top tier DC can do versus a 2A High School DL coach that has connections. So hopefully he will seek top talent moving forward.

DX-TEX 10-27-2012 06:33 PM

Wade Twittered the other day he was spending the byw week in Dallas and that him and his wife were in process of building a home in Houston. Im thinking he is done moving around.

He IS the highest paid DC in the league at 2.5 million per year soo.....

GlassHalfFull 10-27-2012 06:37 PM

I keep hoping/thinking his age is going to be a factor in keeping him here.:wadepalm:

htowntexans1985 10-27-2012 06:43 PM

Phillips @ sonofbum

I am in Dallas for the open date-We
finalized plans for building a home in
Houston #Houstonishome

Looks to me like he has plans to stay.

steelbtexan 10-27-2012 06:50 PM

Even if the Texans dont win a SB and Wade gets a HC gig, he's gone, as it should be.

Lurvinator11 10-27-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 (Post 2046212)
Phillips @ sonofbum

I am in Dallas for the open date-We
finalized plans for building a home in
Houston #Houstonishome

Looks to me like he has plans to stay.

I hope that is code for "I'm staying in Houtson"

I don't want him to leave. I will say, building a house anywhere, means you have long term plans.

amazing80 10-27-2012 07:15 PM

Why does this keep getting brought up? Do you people have nothing better to do with your time other than starting threads on stupid imaginary thoughts?

He is TOO OLD to be hired as a head coach again. He failed as HC and his health is not great. He isn't going anywhere unless he retires. He will be our Dick LeBeau

ObsiWan 10-27-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2046178)
Health and commitment kept Wade a Texan this season. If we win Super Bowl, would he still have same commitment? He still yearns to be a head coach imo. There should be teams willing to give a defensive guru with Texans stats and a ring a chance to be head coach.

I hope McNair has a huge bonus plan to keep him in Houston. Wade is under contract thru 2013 but can leave for H.C. position. If he goes, I am not sure if we have his replacement in house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2046183)
I hope, for my own sake, that he stays and decides that it's a lot more fun being a DC and stomping people's lights out than having to be an HC and deal with all the crap that falls in the HC's lap.

But I doubt that will happen. I can't see how he won't be an HC somewhere next year and I don't know if we can replace him.

These statements dance around the key point. Whether he retires or moves on to one more shot as a head coach, the bottom line is one day - hopefully in the far future - we'll lose him.

The key point IMHO is:

Are we grooming his successor? If so, then who is he?

Ryan 10-27-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2046235)
These statements dance around the key point. Whether he retires or moves on to one more shot as a head coach, the bottom line is one day - hopefully in the far future - we'll lose him.

The key point IMHO is:

Are we grooming his successor? If so, then who is he?

My bet would be Vance Joseph if he doesn't get taken away at some point.

houstonspartan 10-27-2012 07:29 PM

Not THIS again.

Can't we just relax and enjoy this season as it is?

ObsiWan 10-27-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonspartan (Post 2046238)
Not THIS again.

Can't we just relax and enjoy this season as it is?

we ARE relaxed...

see....

:overreact:

powda 10-27-2012 11:34 PM

Wade is clearly an ambitious individual. I remember quotes from him during the offseason about his record as a coach and how it seemed to him a slight that he didnt get more hc consideration. He'll leap at the chance if its presented at a decent organization. He's not grooming our next d coordinator. He's grooming his coordinator. Sorry to piss on the parade but he wont be back in 2013.

Norg 10-28-2012 03:04 AM

no because he will have to come back for a Back to back SB win !!!! : )

Corrosion 10-28-2012 07:52 AM

no.

BullBlitz 10-28-2012 08:07 AM

The San Diego Chargers will attempt to sign him after this season, and I think he will consider it. Last chance as head coach, AFC team, great city, decent QB and offense.

Needs defense.

CloakNNNdagger 10-28-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullBlitz (Post 2046419)
The San Diego Chargers will attempt to sign him after this season, and I think he will consider it. Last chance as head coach, AFC team, great city, decent QB and offense.

Needs defense.

I don't believe Wade's going anywhere. Here he has the potential of helping build a dynasty for which he has and will be given a great deal of the credit.
Going to San Diego will be having the end of his legacy following that of Johnny Unitas.

BullBlitz 10-28-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 2046438)
I don't believe Wade's going anywhere. Here he has the potential of helping build a dynasty for which he has and will be given a great deal of the credit.
Going to San Diego will be having the end of his legacy following that of Johnny Unitas.

He says he wants to be a Head Coach again. I'm just taking him at his word.

I believe he will get offers, and because of his expressed desire, he will accept one. But, we will know in January or February.