Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Grantland: The NFL Entertainment Index (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95757)

IlliniJen 10-26-2012 10:13 AM

Grantland: The NFL Entertainment Index

One of my fav sites, Grantland, has an article with a different take on ranking NFL teams: which teams are the most entertaining to watch?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...s-watchability

Quote:

Against an average opponent, which team would I want to watch the most? Would I rather watch this team play that average opponent than that team? And so on and so on. Being good helps, obviously, but an entertaining bad team (like last year's Panthers) are going to be more fun to watch than a boring good team (like last year's Steelers). You get the idea. I tend to prefer teams that throw the ball and make a lot of big plays on defense, so my bias leans there.
Where do the Texans rank?

Quote:

2. Texans

The Texans are brutal efficiency personified, running the ball down people's throats with the same play, over and over again, without any answer. They run the same route combinations that Gary Kubiak was putting together for Ed McCaffrey and Rod Smith to catch passes from Brian Griese in Denver, and it doesn't matter. They could show you the play before the snap and still beat you to the punch. They knock down a half-dozen of your passes at the line of scrimmage, and if you're lucky, they don't return any of them for a touchdown. They somehow let a first overall pick go and got better on defense, and their best player is so obviously the league's Most Valuable Player that he's become a household name despite playing a position commonly regarded as statless and anonymous. They are the German national soccer team of the NFL, ruthless and consistent and a testament to how to win. But they are not Brazil. Brazil is …
Not too shabby. Only RG3 beats us in the entertainment factor.

gtexan02 10-26-2012 10:24 AM

Re: Grantland: The NFL Entertainment Index

Funny because he breaks his own rule when picking the Texans. We run the ball a lot and aren't too explosive on offensive

I loved reading the Jags and Raiders

buddyboy 10-26-2012 10:46 AM

Judging based solely on his description, I'd say we wouldn't be very entertaining.

"...running the ball down people's throats with the same play, over and over again, without any answer. They run the same route combinations that Gary Kubiak was putting together for Ed McCaffrey and Rod Smith to catch passes from Brian Griese in Denver, and it doesn't matter."

Seems like it would get repetitive...BUT IT AIN'T!

Playoffs 10-26-2012 10:49 AM

There's RGIII,

and then there's everybody else.

I think he's that good.

gtexan02 10-26-2012 10:55 AM

To a neutral observer, the 2010 Texans were the most enjoyable team ever.
To a fan, I had to keep a defibrillator at the house

brakos82 10-26-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtexan02 (Post 2045589)
To a neutral observer, the 2010 Texans were the most enjoyable team ever.
To a fan, I had to keep a defibrillator at the house

Now that I think about it... that might be why I had heart problems then. :thinking:

Thorn 10-26-2012 11:00 AM

Funny read, thanks for posting Jen.

b0ng 10-26-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2045586)
There's RGIII,

and then there's everybody else.

I think he's that good.

I would still prefer Luck, that guy is already really good at chucking the ball.

TexanSam 10-26-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ng (Post 2045597)
I would still prefer Luck, that guy is already really good at chucking the ball.

RGIII has completed 70% of his passes this year. It's too early to say who's the best, but early on RGIII is easily ahead. He's awesome. I'm just afraid he's going to get hurt by running it so often.

IlliniJen 10-26-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanSam (Post 2045612)
RGIII has completed 70% of his passes this year. It's too early to say who's the best, but early on RGIII is easily ahead. He's awesome. I'm just afraid he's going to get hurt by running it so often.

I love Barnwell's description of him:

Quote:

You know how Simmons has the Tyson Zone for celebrities who are so crazy he'd believe anything he heard about them? I feel the same way about Griffin on the field. If I'm watching the Red Zone channel on Sunday and I see the "Coming up " image with a Redskins graphic, my mind races. Did RG3 just kick a 65-yard field goal? By accident? Did he go back in time and relieve Drew Storen? Is he hosting the Red Zone Channel right now? You could tell me RG3 accomplished just about anything during a game on Sunday and I'll believe it. These days, nobody in football is more watchable or entertaining.

b0ng 10-26-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Meh, I favor more of a traditional passer which is what Luck is. Luck is also averaging like 41 pass attempts per game where as RGIII is averaging about 25 or so. Not that RGIII isn't electric but I think that Luck is the better pocket passer at this point where as RGIII is a threat to do it all pretty well.

2012Champs 10-26-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

the only reason rgiii comp rate is what it is rest soley on the fact he completes more check downs and short passes to running backs than he does passes to wr a la TJ yates

TheEastwood 10-26-2012 12:51 PM

RG3 is so much fun to watch. Ive actually never watched another team on GameRewind, but I find myself rewatching redskin games. Just because RGIII is so great to see. Plus I love it when Texas boys make it big.

TheEastwood 10-26-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012Champs (Post 2045625)
the only reason rgiii comp rate is what it is rest soley on the fact he completes more check downs and short passes to running backs than he does passes to wr a la TJ yates

Are you serious bro? RG3 throws it downfield as much as anyone

Dutchrudder 10-26-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEastwood (Post 2045653)

Completes is the key word in his post. However, his stat splits don't add up to a downfield passer. 3 of 11 on passes over 20 yards is hardly a great downfield threat.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/RG3stats.jpg

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits...rt-griffin-iii

2012Champs 10-26-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEastwood (Post 2045653)

dont bro me like you know me

2012Champs 10-26-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2045662)
Completes is the key word in his post. However, his stat splits don't add up to a downfield passer. 3 of 11 on passes over 20 yards is hardly a great downfield threat.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/RG3stats.jpg

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits...rt-griffin-iii

Luck on the other hand is 11/28 in 20+ attempts 2.5 times as many attempts and completes nearly 50% more of those attempts than RGIII

Tailgate 10-26-2012 02:31 PM

These are good days gentlemen.

ObsiWan 10-26-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailgate (Post 2045705)
These are good days gentlemen.

....and Ladies...
:tiphat:

Scooter 10-26-2012 05:18 PM

funny that the word "execution" became a joke under capers. with kubiak, the most boring team becomes a must watch because of that same word. we run plays from the 90's, and use the same formation all day, but "execution" leads to a brand of football that's about as genuine as anything in sports.