Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   What happened to the turtle? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95619)

thunderkyss 10-21-2012 07:17 PM

What happened to the turtle?

We had a 13 point league for most of the game, but we kept pushing. What happened?

I honestly thought on that bobbled snap Gary was going to call the dogs off. But Matt recovered well, & we kept playing.

30 point lead, could have made it worse, but he took a knee & I'm sure Harbaugh appreciated it.

TexansFanatic 10-21-2012 07:20 PM

Re: What happened to the turtle?

Great question. The team is better and Kubiak is better. What the hell is going on around here?

PockyAF 10-21-2012 07:22 PM

To add on:

What happened to the 3rd and long draw play for the RB?

I can only remember us running it once in normal field position, and us actually going for a pass on another occasion, that time in our own endzone.

Really refreshing to see us drop the predictable playcalling that I've been used to seeing in usual situations for the last couple of years, and actually deciding to impose our dominance this game.

EllisUnit 10-21-2012 07:42 PM

I think after how greenbay was still throwing on us with 3 minutes left with a BIG lead last week that maybe Kubiak had a bad taste in his mouth. Hopefully he will throw all that respect B.S out the window and we can win by 30 every game.

amazing80 10-21-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2042448)
I think after how greenbay was still throwing on us with 3 minutes left with a BIG lead last week that maybe Kubiak had a bad taste in his mouth. Hopefully he will throw all that respect B.S out the window and we can win by 30 every game.

This. Hopefully it wasn't a one time deal.

gtexan02 10-21-2012 07:44 PM

We run a lot when we are up big. Normally, teams stack the box and stop the run. Thats why we look like we're turtling.

We ran the ball almost 40 times today. We did go more conservative up big, the Ravens just couldn't stop our ground game.

EllisUnit 10-21-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtexan02 (Post 2042453)
We run a lot when we are up big. Normally, teams stack the box and stop the run. Thats why we look like we're turtling.

We ran the ball almost 40 times today. We did go more conservative up big, the Ravens just couldn't stop our ground game.

i think theymean even before the half up by 20 we were still trying to score before half, note the 3 shot gun passes from schaub. Any other time we would just run out the clock, this was def a different Kubiak

thunderkyss 10-21-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazing80 (Post 2042451)
This. Hopefully it wasn't a one time deal.

It's never been a one time deal. Look at last year's schedule, we were blowing teams out with Schaub.

It has been my experience, that he turtle's up when things aren't going our way, but he still wants to win the game. If we can't get to a manageable third down, if we're dropping balls, if we're "lucky" we didn't turn the ball over...... when too many of these things add up, he goes safe. Sometimes the guys on offense aren't clicking for whatever reason. He prevents that from turning into those games where we shoot ourselves in the foot.

thunderkyss 10-21-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Even then, Gary Kubiak is one of the coldest blood thirsty OCs out there. We get that big lead, we pound the ball & then he catches them napping with a big bootleg for a 40+ yard Touch down.

Running the ball isn't conservative when you've got the best OL in the league (which we had last year & working towards this year) & two tail-backs that can take it to the house from anywhere on the field.

Surreal McCoy 10-21-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Exactly. Amazing how much better the 'play calling' is with a little execution, eh?

Norg 10-21-2012 07:54 PM

uhhhh i dont think we stepped on there throat we left a few 4 and 1 and 4 and 3 on the field if we would of gone 4 them man the score might have been a 50 burger or at least 40 +

eriadoc 10-21-2012 09:07 PM

Today was just the 4th time in 105 games coached by Kubiak that the Texans have scored 40. So no talk of turtling today, but let's see the tiger change his stripes long term, huh? Just to keep some perspective, here's the sort of faith people have in Kubiak, in real time, from the gameday thread, pages 4 through 6:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 (Post 2041530)
Another draw play....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 (Post 2041484)
Ok, Stop running the ball. Pass a little bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2041485)
Lol. Kubiak...WTF is this...

Let the borderline elite qb air it out

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 (Post 2041487)
C'mon with this ****ty playcalling man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stemp (Post 2041494)
Not sure they can get much more conservative. Especially when they've jumped out with the big downfield plays.

Their script sucks ass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DX-TEX (Post 2041496)
This completely blows. **** this **** and **** you Kubiak!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXANS84 (Post 2041513)
I feel like the Capers teams, run run pass punt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattieuk (Post 2041514)
Yayyyyyy. More than 3 yards on first down!

Thanks for waking up Kubes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisG (Post 2041526)
3rd and long draw AGAIN

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXANS4MARIO (Post 2041528)
3rd and 18 and you call a RUNNING play:mariopalm:

WTF

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 (Post 2041530)
Another draw play....

Quote:

Originally Posted by CretorFrigg (Post 2041536)
Typical Kubiak playcalling. Can't say I'm surprised.

The game ended up with the best possible result, but let's not pretend like people are thinking Kubes has killed his pet turtle.

hradhak 10-21-2012 09:13 PM

Part of me thinks that Kubiak has finally realized that when we play to not lose we often do lose. That said, I'm happy to see the Kubiak throw open the playbook even when we are ahead. We should be passing on 3rd and long, and often we actually get the first. I'd like to see more creative playcalling. That was the first time on 1st and goal that we play actioned and hit the TE. That was a great call and I'd like to see some new plays to keep the defense guessing.

Brandon420tx 10-22-2012 03:15 AM

The third and 18 draw play. I already knew that was coming, Safe play, trying to catch the defense napping, defense playing lights out, punt the ball

TheEastwood 10-22-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon420tx (Post 2042661)
The third and 18 draw play. I already knew that was coming, Safe play, trying to catch the defense napping, defense playing lights out, punt the ball

There's not exactly that many plays designed to get 18+ yards.... Why take the chance of an int?

TheMatrix31 10-22-2012 04:54 AM

I was most impressed by what we did when we got the ball late in the first half. We wanted 7 more.

THAT was different.

Brandon420tx 10-22-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEastwood (Post 2042666)
There's not exactly that many plays designed to get 18+ yards.... Why take the chance of an int?

I wasn't complaining about it. I do the same thing on Madden. I thought it was a smart move

Wolf 10-22-2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEastwood (Post 2042666)

exactly. Play the field position battle and let the defense do it's job

EllisUnit 10-22-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2042513)
Today was just the 4th time in 105 games coached by Kubiak that the Texans have scored 40. So no talk of turtling today, but let's see the tiger change his stripes long term, huh? Just to keep some perspective, here's the sort of faith people have in Kubiak, in real time, from the gameday thread, pages 4 through 6:

The game ended up with the best possible result, but let's not pretend like people are thinking Kubes has killed his pet turtle.

Those were prob all within the first 2 drives !!!!

thunderkyss 10-22-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2042513)
Today was just the 4th time in 105 games coached by Kubiak that the Texans have scored 40. So no talk of turtling today, but let's see the tiger change his stripes long term, huh? Just to keep some perspective....

So 40 is the new 30?