Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95599)

Playoffs 10-21-2012 11:18 AM

Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today
 
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Quote:

RG Ben Jones, who's making his 1st-career start today, is the 1st rookie to start for the #Texans this season
Go out there and bust some chops, rook!

beerlover 10-21-2012 03:49 PM

Re: Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today
 
From what I noticed he was very solid in run-blocking, for most part Schaub also had good protection so assume he was OK there as well. No penalties or false starts, looking stronger each week. We'll see in a couple weeks after bye if he continues to start.

thunderkyss 10-21-2012 07:20 PM

Re: Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today
 
Did he get the start? I know they announced him as a starter, but I thought Caldwell played the first series.

badboy 10-21-2012 08:16 PM

Re: Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2042435)
Did he get the start? I know they announced him as a starter, but I thought Caldwell played the first series.

I saw Caldwell out there early also but was unaware that Jones was to start. OL seemed to protect Schaub & gave him time but did not do so well run blocking imo.

The Pencil Neck 10-21-2012 11:54 PM

Re: Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2042435)
Did he get the start? I know they announced him as a starter, but I thought Caldwell played the first series.

I thought Caldwell came out for the 3rd series. I'm pretty sure Jones was out there for the first one.

thunderkyss 10-22-2012 12:05 AM

Re: Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2042631)
I thought Caldwell came out for the 3rd series. I'm pretty sure Jones was out there for the first one.

Our first two series were so short, you might be right.

MojoMan 10-22-2012 06:39 AM

Re: Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today
 
Did Brandon Brooks play at all today behind Jones?

IDEXAN 10-22-2012 08:04 AM

Re: Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoMan (Post 2042684)
Did Brandon Brooks play at all today behind Jones?

I don't think Brooks has even been suited-up, has he ?
Kubiak/Smith sure whiffed with our 2 third-round picks this year, but hopefully they will be producers over the longer-term ?

rmartin65 10-22-2012 08:09 AM

Re: Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2042704)
I don't think Brooks has even been suited-up, has he ?
Kubiak/Smith sure whiffed with our 2 third-round picks this year, but hopefully they will be producers over the longer-term ?

To be fair, one rarely expects thirds to become starters, and it is not uncommon for them not to play very much at all that first season.

thunderkyss 10-22-2012 08:45 AM

Re: Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today
 
It was cool to see Harris & Jones get extra time there at the end of the game. Kubiak pulled Brown, you could tell he didn't want to come out of the game, but it's good to get some game-day snaps for guys we may need farther down the season.

When Schaub was handing the ball off to Forsett, I was wondering why he didn't put Tj in to handle those duties.

The Pencil Neck 10-22-2012 10:28 AM

Re: Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2042734)
It was cool to see Harris & Jones get extra time there at the end of the game. Kubiak pulled Brown, you could tell he didn't want to come out of the game, but it's good to get some game-day snaps for guys we may need farther down the season.

When Schaub was handing the ball off to Forsett, I was wondering why he didn't put Tj in to handle those duties.

Yeah, my wife was screaming at the TV for Kubiak to get Schaub out of there.

But I think it's just a minimization of possible errors thing. Forsett hasn't been getting a lot of playing time. And Yates hasn't been getting a lot of playing time. So it's OK to get one of them some time but maybe you increase the risk of a mistake by putting BOTH guys* out there that haven't been getting time.

* Both guys meaning the guy handing off and the guy taking the hand off.

Goldensilence 10-22-2012 10:55 AM

Re: Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmartin65 (Post 2042708)
To be fair, one rarely expects thirds to become starters, and it is not uncommon for them not to play very much at all that first season.

I think it depends on a lot of factors like position (later taken OL can start, but you're right rare that they are EXPECTED to) and what situation the team is in at that position.

Given that Brisiel walked in FA (understandably with that kind of contract) they drafted at the spot. Jones has a pretty high floor, but I think few guards in this year's draft have the kind of ceiling Brooks has, which is why I liked the pick.

I'm really fine with Brooks sitting and getting acclimated to the speed of the NFL cosidering he was playing at Miami (OH). I do think it's pleasantly surprising to see Jones doing well already.

beerlover 10-30-2012 08:28 AM

Re: Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today
 
Ben Jones is on 610 right now with Posey & Keenum, players day. Very entertaining all seem like good dudes with of course Jones being a little lighthearted crazy. I think he will have a long career in this league :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger