Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Jonathan Joseph (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95413)

El Tejano 10-15-2012 07:56 AM

Jonathan Joseph

What happened to this guy? He looks clueless out there.

gwallaia 10-15-2012 08:09 AM

Re: Jonathan Joseph

He got discount double-checked.

GP 10-15-2012 08:49 AM

He's obviously a part of Wade's diabolical scheme to get GK fired so WP can get the HC job here.

Just kidding. Sort of... :spy

dream_team 10-15-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GP (Post 2037385)
He's obviously a part of Wade's diabolical scheme to get GK fired so WP can get the HC job here.

Just kidding. Sort of... :spy

I know you're sort of kidding, but how does a DC get a HC job by having your defense play like crap?

Mr teX 10-15-2012 09:36 AM

I don't think anything's wrong with him despite reports of him being nicked up; I don't think its any more than usual anyway. What it is is just after 4 games, he along with the rest of our defense have been scouted & i'm guessing 1 of the things teams saw was how overly-agressive our db's have been this season.

I say this b/c beginning with the jets game, we started to see tons of double moves being put on him & KJ & guys are coming wide open as a result. Teams have also finally started to take notice of Quinn playing down more in the box for run support, which is leaving little to no safety help over the top.

Bottom line is they are getting too agressive at jumping slants and curls & they can't afford to be with little or no safety help over the top.

Other things teams are seeing from the scouting: Barwin and Reed aren't going to beat them. Control Watt and Smith to lesser extent & the other 2 likely aren't going to pick up the slack.

Wade has said that he finds what his players can do well & then he puts them in situations to where they best utilize that particular skill. This is a double edge sword. Quinn was switched to safety b/c it allows for him to best utilize his best skill...which was tackling coming out of college. When put into coverage he struggles....reminds me alot of the Roy Williams debacle in Dallas when Wade was up there.

utahmark 10-15-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr teX (Post 2037429)
I don't think anything's wrong with him despite reports of him being nicked up; I don't think its any more than usual anyway. What it is is just after 4 games, he along with the rest of our defense have been scouted & i'm guessing 1 of the things teams saw was how overly-agressive our db's have been this season.

I say this b/c beginning with the jets game, we started to see tons of double moves being put on him & KJ & guys are coming wide open as a result. Teams have also finally started to take notice of Quinn playing down more in the box for run support, which is leaving little to no safety help over the top.

Bottom line is they are getting too agressive at jumping slants and curls & they can't afford to be with little or no safety help over the top.

Other things teams are seeing from the scouting: Barwin and Reed aren't going to beat them. Control Watt and Smith to lesser extent & the other 2 likely aren't going to pick up the slack.

Wade has said that he finds what his players can do well & then he puts them in situations to where they best utilize that particular skill. This is a double edge sword. Quinn was switched to safety b/c it allows for him to best utilize his best skill...which was tackling coming out of college. When put into coverage he struggles....reminds me alot of the Roy Williams debacle in Dallas when Wade was up there.

Glover might not be a great cover corner but his coverage skills are more than adequate for a safety.

Mr teX 10-15-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utahmark (Post 2037442)
Glover might not be a great cover corner but his coverage skills are more than adequate for a safety.

No doubt they are. But i think with him in particular, he's gotten so locked in on playing in the box for run support that he's forgotten that coverage is his primary duty 1st & foremost...at least on occassion he's forgotten anyway.

Look at the last 2 games. part of why teams have started going at Joseph & running those inside trap plays is b/c he & Quinn are on the strong side 90% of the time. They're essentially sucking him in more & more with those 1 yard here, 2 yards there runs.

After about 2 or 3 of those they hit him or Joseph over the top. Double moves on Joseph, play action for Quinn. Both guys were beat over the top in 2 consecutive games & Quinn in particular has been beaten in both games.

Vinny 10-15-2012 10:41 AM

you keep putting your cb's on an island...then get no edge rush against a premiere QB. This is what you get. Nothing wrong with JJ.

Double Barrel 10-15-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 2037493)
you keep putting your cb's on an island...then get no edge rush against a premiere QB. This is what you get. Nothing wrong with JJ.

I was going to mention the same thing. Somebody in the front 7 needs to step up when they are double/triple teaming Watt. The amount of time that Rodgers had in the pocket was pathetic. I'm pretty sure he called Geico during one of those plays.

HOU-TEX 10-15-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

While I agree with your overall point, I do think JJo is struggling more than usual. I wouldn't say he looks "lost", but definitely not the JJo we're used to seeing.

*Random* KJ had perfect coverage on the interference play. All he had to do was turn his head just enough for the ref to think he looked back for the ball and it wouldn't have been called. Just my opinion

GP 10-15-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream_team (Post 2037413)
I know you're sort of kidding, but how does a DC get a HC job by having your defense play like crap?

Oh I was completely joking.

I threw in that last line just because the template on me is that I'm a big conspiracy guy.

I'm in need of laughs after last night.

Vinny 10-15-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2037517)
While I agree with your overall point, I do think JJo is struggling more than usual. I wouldn't say he looks "lost", but definitely not the JJo we're used to seeing.

*Random* KJ had perfect coverage on the interference play. All he had to do was turn his head just enough for the ref to think he looked back for the ball and it wouldn't have been called. Just my opinion

He's in the spotlight more because teams are taking more shots with him on an island more. Physically he looks the same to me.

I thought they were nitpicky on the KJ interference play. If you watch the replays his head wasn't totally turned in an ideal manner, but his head was pointed up and at the ball as it was coming down.

Mr teX 10-15-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

That's not even really at the heart of it. There were more than a few times Rodgers either stepped up in the pocket from pressure, escaped pressure from his left or right and found someone. Hell, Reed knocked the crap out of Rodgers when he got flushed by pressure on his left side.....still resulted in a TD pass.

Vinny 10-15-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr teX (Post 2037532)
That's not even really at the heart of it. There were more than a few times Rodgers either stepped up in the pocket from pressure, escaped pressure from his left or right and found someone. Hell, Reed knocked the crap out of Rodgers when he got flushed by pressure on his left side.....still resulted in a TD pass.

and he found his players singled up...on an island.

HOU-TEX 10-15-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 2037531)
He's in the spotlight more because teams are taking more shots with him on an island more. Physically he looks the same to me.

I thought they were nitpicky on the KJ interference play. If you watch the replays his head wasn't totally turned in an ideal manner, but his head was pointed up and at the ball as it was coming down.

Agreed, it was very nitpicky. I thought Kubiak was going to crap himself yelling so hard at the ref. Heck, I thought my wife was too. She came unglued on that play.

Mr teX 10-15-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 2037533)

no doubt, that post was aimed more at the "no edge rush" part of your post. The edge rush is there, those guys just need to stop running around the tackles so much & collapse the pocket a bit more to give the qb no place to escape to...They're just getting run up field.

ATXtexanfan 10-15-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 2037533)

Yup, Rodgers Brees Peyton brady will take any of their guys one on versus anyone. Thats why their the best. Find the one on one pre snap then attack. Rodgers has more athleticism when things break down

ATXtexanfan 10-15-2012 11:18 AM

Oops double post

Mr. Texan 10-15-2012 11:20 AM

the front 7 didn't contain rodgers at all or even rattle him.

that niners game at the beginning of the season they were all in rodgers grill and forced him to stay in the pocket.

pass defense starts with pressure on the qb.

rolyat93 10-15-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2037517)

Honestly, I don't think KJ even touched the receiver.(His body, or his arms) I don't know what the refs can ask for in that situation.