Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   The block on cushing....Slausen fined (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95282)

EllisUnit 10-10-2012 07:33 PM

The block on cushing....Slausen fined

What gets me is that you can not block a player in the back, and i'm sorry but that was a chop block in the back below the knees. Regardless of if it was legal or not it was still in the back.

I like it how u cant even go low on a QB but a defensive player can get target at his knees or lower in the back and nothing. Total B.S IMO. Either you protect all your players or dont "protect" any of them.

Sorry had to get that off my chest.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...Cushing-injury

Now tell me what is remotely legal about any of that ?

TheMatrix31 10-10-2012 07:46 PM

Re: The block on cushing....

Dirtiest play I've seen in a long, long time and it results in a season-ending injury for one of our most critical players.

Cool. **** the Jets.

Texan_Bill 10-10-2012 07:51 PM

It was illegal. I know that there's been a thread (or 10) on this..

That said, the long and short of it is (irrespective to the 'ol proximity of the line of scrimmage, or the 'ol "engaged" rule). This had more to do with the direction the block came from. If a lineman makes the block (w/ those other consdiderations above - removed), towards his offensive endzone, all is good. If the lineman makes the block facing towards his own (defensive) endzone, No BUENO!!!!

This is at least how I interpret the "chop block" rules.

In any event, I believe the block to be illegal and a cheap shot.... Note: A cheap shot not necessarily with malice. In other words, dude made a poor decision but I don't necessarily think he attempted to hurt Cush..

EllisUnit 10-10-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 2033441)
It was illegal. I know that there's been a thread (or 10) on this..

That said, the long and short of it is (irrespective to the 'ol proximity of the line of scrimmage, or the 'ol "engaged" rule). This had more to do with the direction the block came from. If a lineman makes the block (w/ those other consdiderations above - removed), towards his offensive endzone, all is good. If the lineman makes the block facing towards his own (defensive) endzone, No BUENO!!!!

This is at least how I interpret the "chop block" rules.

In any event, I believe the block to be illegal and a cheap shot.... Note: A cheap shot not necessarily with malice. In other words, dude made a poor decision but I don't necessarily think he attempted to hurt Cush..

Hmmm i didnt see any threads on it otherwise i wouldnt of made the thread :cow:

wildroot 10-10-2012 08:31 PM

I look at the play it looks bad the way Cushing was hit....but you know we make our living on cut-blocks so it's really hard to criticize when one of our own is the victim of a cut block. Really sucks to lose him, really bad break for us and Cushing.

infantrycak 10-10-2012 08:57 PM

A chop block in the NFL is when someone is already engaged by one player and then gets hit at or below the knee by another player.

It is not analogous to the cut blocking which is part of our ZBS.

BattleRedToro 10-10-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildroot (Post 2033480)
I look at the play it looks bad the way Cushing was hit....but you know we make our living on cut-blocks so it's really hard to criticize when one of our own is the victim of a cut block. Really sucks to lose him, really bad break for us and Cushing.

The Texans make their living on LEGAL cut blocks not ILLEGAL clipping.

thunderkyss 10-10-2012 09:27 PM

I honestly did not see anything wrong with the block. It is not illegal & I don't think the player tried to do anything other than block Brian Cushing. If you watch it from both Angles, you'll see the guy began the move while Cush was in front of him, however he didn't make contact until Brian was past him. It happens.

Should it be illegal? Maybe, but instead of tweating about it, the defensive stars need to get together & petition the rules comitte the way the QBs did that made that hit illegal on QBs.

DRP 10-10-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2033430)
What gets me is that you can not block a player in the back, and i'm sorry but that was a chop block in the back below the knees. Regardless of if it was legal or not it was still in the back.

I like it how u cant even go low on a QB but a defensive player can get target at his knees or lower in the back and nothing. Total B.S IMO. Either you protect all your players or dont "protect" any of them.
Sorry had to get that off my chest.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...Cushing-injury

Now tell me what is remotely legal about any of that ?

Clay Matthews basically said the exact thing on twitter.

Lucky 10-10-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2033515)
I honestly did not see anything wrong with the block. It is not illegal & I don't think the player tried to do anything other than block Brian Cushing. If you watch it from both Angles, you'll see the guy began the move while Cush was in front of him, however he didn't make contact until Brian was past him. It happens.

You need to take another look. Or become more familiar with the rule.

Quote:

CLIPPING
Article 10 There shall be no clipping from behind below the waist against a non-runner. This does not apply
to offensive blocking in close-line play where it is legal to clip above the knee(s), but it is illegal to clip at or below the knee(s).
Penalty: For clipping: Loss of 15 yards.

CLOSE-LINE PLAY
SUPPLEMENTAL NOTES
(1) Close-line play is that which occurs in an area extending laterally to the position originally occupied by
the offensive tackles and longitudinally three yards on either side of each line of scrimmage.

CLOSE-LINE PLAY—ROLL-UP BLOCK
(2) In close-line play, if an offensive player’s block (legal or illegal) is followed by the blocker rolling up on the back of the leg(s) of the defender, the action is illegal and is considered unnecessary roughness.
Slausen was behind Cushing when he made the block. The block was made within 3 yards of the LOS, but the block was below the knee. Illegal as hell, and the result is why there is such a rule in the first place. I think he rolled up on Cushing, and should have been called for unnecessary roughness.

gtexan02 10-10-2012 10:38 PM

I think the hit was illegal. I think it was a guaranteed injury. Knowing the guy and what he's stood for in the past, I don't think he intended to injure Cushing, though. I think the guy got beat and just dove to try and do whatever he could to make the play. Illegal and cheap, yes. Malicious? I'm leaning towards no, but its just my gut feeling

I think it takes a special kind of ******* to purposefully try to tear someone's ACL. Those players usually have dirty reputations. This Slauson guy or whatever his name is has publicly come out against dirty players in the past. I don't know, just feels like a nasty, illegal hit with a very, very unfortunate outcome.

BattleRedToro 10-10-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2033515)

Should it be illegal? Maybe, but instead of tweating about it, the defensive stars need to get together & petition the rules comitte the way the QBs did that made that hit illegal on QBs.

It was clipping. Inside the Tackles 3 yards in front and in back of the line of scrimmage is the close line area where clipping will not be called on blocks from behind above the knee. Any blocks from behind at or below the knee will be called a clipping penalty. The block was from behind at the knee and to make matters worse it occurred outside the Tackle. In addition, Kubiak mentioned something about it being illegal to cut block someone when the blocker is coming back to the line of scrimmage.

Brisco_County 10-11-2012 01:14 AM

Slauson's intent may not have been malicious, but he was gambling with someone else's livelihood when taking a pointless and dangerous risk. No skin off his ass if his hit is mis-timed, and who cares if his target pays the ultimate price? The hit can technically be defined as clipping, so suspend him.

ObsiWan 10-11-2012 03:54 AM

Has anyone seen a league ruling or statement on the clip...? Anyone? Don't they usually make a statement and hand out fines on Weds.?? Or is it too soon?

TejasTom 10-11-2012 05:24 PM

Fined $10,000

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.

Rey 10-11-2012 05:25 PM

Low fine. Means NFL finds minor fault.

I agree.

gwallaia 10-11-2012 05:27 PM

$10,000 fine to an NFL player is like one of us being fined 25 cents.

Insideop 10-11-2012 06:17 PM

Slauson Fined

Just read Slauson got fined 10K for the hit on Cush.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...houston-texans

CloakNNNdagger 10-11-2012 06:19 PM

Re: Slauson Fined

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insideop (Post 2034080)

That wouldn't even cover Cushing's medical bills.

drs23 10-11-2012 06:20 PM

Re: Slauson Fined

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insideop (Post 2034080)

That's ALL? Dammit!