Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Greatest QB rivalries of all time? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95176)

gtexan02 10-07-2012 04:12 PM

Greatest QB rivalries of all time?

Brady vs Manning today in what has been an excellent QB rivalry between two future hall of famers.

Is it the best ever?

infantrycak 10-07-2012 04:38 PM

Re: Greatest QB rivalries of all time?

Staubach v. Bradshaw - another two HoF QB's

Less meeting because they were in different conferences but an epic competition of two dominant teams.

Troy Aikman v. Steve Young - for a while the winner of this match up was the winner of the SB - also another two HoF QB's.

Texecutioner 10-07-2012 05:47 PM

This is easily the best rivalry between two QB's.

One is arguably the best of all time in Brady and Manning is arguably somewhere in that top 5. Easily top 10.

Brady has had a lot more success as far as the post season goes, but Manning has won more of the last few head to head match ups.

Right now, the Pats are running away with the game. However, the Broncos just scored and Manning has another quarter where he has been very good playing from behind this season. The Pats need to keep their pedal to the medal.

Texecutioner 10-07-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2029453)
Staubach v. Bradshaw - another two HoF QB's

Less meeting because they were in different conferences but an epic competition of two dominant teams.

Troy Aikman v. Steve Young - for a while the winner of this match up was the winner of the SB - also another two HoF QB's.

Brady and Manning are both much better. Staubach was great, and Bradshaw played on an amazing team and he was very good, but a lot of people don't consider him great.

A good chunk of this league's history of this era has been defined by the match ups between Brady and Peydon, and also Brady and Eli now. Hell you could actually change this rivalry to Brady vs. "The Mannings."

Playoffs 10-07-2012 06:30 PM

I never thought of 'QB rivalries' in NFL. I never thought it was Pastorini vs. Bradshaw or Warren Moon vs. Joe Montana.

Today's game, with today's rules, forces you to see QBs as one man teams I guess. Not my cuppa tea.

infantrycak 10-07-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 2029508)
Brady and Manning are both much better. Staubach was great, and Bradshaw played on an amazing team and he was very good, but a lot of people don't consider him great.

A good chunk of this league's history of this era has been defined by the match ups between Brady and Peydon, and also Brady and Eli now. Hell you could actually change this rivalry to Brady vs. "The Mannings."

I was adding other great rivalries - I should have been more explicit about that.

One of the things which I looked at is one of the things which makes Brady v. Manning a great rivalry which is playing substantial parts of their primes against one another.

I don't regard Bradshaw as great, frankly I don't really think he deserved the Hall or just barely but it was a classic battle.

I disagree Brady or Manning are much better than Staubach but that discussion can be had in a greatest of all time thread.

Texecutioner 10-07-2012 06:43 PM

Well Brady took this one. Both QB's played a pretty damn good game, but Brady really worked the field, but the Pats running game really looked good against the Broncs today. Two epically poor decisions from BB made this game look a lot closer than it should have been. I swear BB is the most overrated coach in my eyes as his team has to constantly make him look better.

gtexan02 10-07-2012 06:45 PM

What happened to the Broncos defense? They got gashed

infantrycak 10-07-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 2029540)
Two epically poor decisions from BB made this game look a lot closer than it should have been. I swear BB is the most overrated coach in my eyes as his team has to constantly make him look better.

This is just an extension of QB syndrome of getting too much credit and too much blame depending on the W/L.

PS - did you catch at the end of the game when they were discussing other great rivalries? They mentioned Unitas v. Tarkenton and Staubach v. Bradshaw.

Texecutioner 10-07-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2029544)
This is just an extension of QB syndrome of getting too much credit and too much blame depending on the W/L.

PS - did you catch at the end of the game when they were discussing other great rivalries? They mentioned Unitas v. Tarkenton and Staubach v. Bradshaw.

I wasn't disagreeing with you that it wasn't a great rivalry. You are right. I just don't see any two QB's having a bigger one then Brady vs. Manning. For years Brady beat him when it counted and had more rings. Manning finally won a few and got himself a ring. But the two of them have played so many times in the past and have really steered the course of history in the NFL over the last 12 years or so. Even Eli has become involved with his two wins over Brady's team in the SB. The fact that this other guy involved happens to be the younger brother of Peyton getting revenge for his older brother is story book stuff. It's been a great match up to say the least. I've been stoked for this game all week!! Glad Brady won as well. I get a lot of joy when a Manning loses. :pirate:

Double Barrel 10-08-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 2029540)
Well Brady took this one. Both QB's played a pretty damn good game, but Brady really worked the field, but the Pats running game really looked good against the Broncs today. Two epically poor decisions from BB made this game look a lot closer than it should have been. I swear BB is the most overrated coach in my eyes as his team has to constantly make him look better.

Seriously? :um:

Belichick will go down in NFL history as one of the greatest head coaches ever, up there with Landry, Shula, Walsh, Parcells.

Did you see "A Football Life" last week? It was about Cleveland '95, and much of it was devoted to Belichick's impact on the league. Virtually every person on his staff in Cleveland went on to greatness, including FOUR current GMs, and many head coaches of both college and NFL. His coaching tree is massive and impressive, and I have no doubt that his name will certainly be int the top 5 of all time HCs in NFL history.