Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Cromartie confident he can cover AJ (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95152)

drs23 10-06-2012 10:47 AM

Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
We'll see. As he admits in this article he's never covered AJ in his career. I think AJ is going to take him to school.

Quote:

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said the way running back Arian Foster commands attention, the Jets will be forced to place up to eight men in the box. That will leave the two cornerbacks alone on the outside, with just one safety over top.
Also seems their game plan is much like other teams to slow down the running game. This sure seems to me to be a "pick your poison" game. OD, Casey, Graham & Kevin could play huge rolls.

I'm really looking forward to this prime time national exposure game.

Go Texans!

BattleRedToro 10-06-2012 10:57 AM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
I imagine they'll cheat the over the top safety towards AJ's side. Expect big plays from the TE's and secondary receivers.

Stemp 10-06-2012 10:57 AM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BattleRedToro (Post 2028949)
I imagine they'll cheat the over the top safety towards AJ's side. Expect big plays from the TE's and secondary receivers.

OD should have a monster day.

theNumber80 10-06-2012 10:59 AM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Schaub hasn't even looked Andre's way this season so it'll probably look as if he shut Andre down on the stat sheet.

Texn4life 10-06-2012 11:23 AM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Cromartie typically struggles against shorter, shiftier receivers because he refuses to bump receivers at the line so he'll probably do decent on AJ on deep balls because of his long speed. He'll get absolutely eaten alive though on crossing and intermediate routes though against him.

The matchup I love is on the other side with Kyle Wilson trying to cover KW or Keyshawn, and any of their safeties trying to cover OD or Graham. We should win most of the time in these situations. Their LBs can't cover worth a squat either so expect Arian or Casey to have some big gains receiving out of the backfield.

Malloy 10-06-2012 12:32 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by theNumber80 (Post 2028951)
Schaub hasn't even looked Andre's way this season so it'll probably look as if he shut Andre down on the stat sheet.

in 4 games: 16 receptions, 268 yards & 2 TDs. He'll break 1k in the regular season.

I'm good with that.

Rey 10-06-2012 01:03 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texn4life (Post 2028956)
Cromartie typically struggles against shorter, shiftier receivers because he refuses to bump receivers at the line so he'll probably do decent on AJ on deep balls...

My exact thoughts...

I actually think he matches up well with Andre...

Playoffs 10-06-2012 01:21 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Cover him.

But AJ regularly beats double coverage. You have to stop him from catching the ball, too, and that's the tough part.

HJam72 10-06-2012 01:24 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Cromartie says, "Oh....I have to stop him from catching it too?" :choke:

rolyat93 10-06-2012 01:29 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Did he say 1 on 1 coverage? With no Revis?? Vs Andre MF"n Johnson?!? Dre's going for 200 and 3 td's, calling it now.

theNumber80 10-06-2012 01:30 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malloy (Post 2028975)
in 4 games: 16 receptions, 268 yards & 2 TDs. He'll break 1k in the regular season.

I'm good with that.

4 weeks into the season Andre has 25 targets. Right now it's working but in the long hall? That's not gonna cut it. A top 3 receiver shouldn't be getting only 5-6 targets a game. I'm liking the results so far but when we start playing elite teams Schaub not looking Andre's way is gonna hurt.

Texan_Touchdown 10-06-2012 01:39 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by theNumber80 (Post 2029001)
4 weeks into the season Andre has 25 targets. Right now it's working but in the long hall? That's not gonna cut it. A top 3 receiver shouldn't be getting only 5-6 targets a game. I'm liking the results so far but when we start playing elite teams Schaub not looking Andre's way is gonna hurt.


I agree. Andre has to be a factor in the games against the elite teams, but I think it just hard to get him the ball. He's so good he gives other people good looks because they're so worried about him. Kinda like our OLB with JJ watt. Brooks and Conner are getting so much attention that JJ is getting 1 on 1 battles and he's destroying them. Our team isn't out standing in just one aspect but were really good in every aspect which I love because you can't take away all of our weapons in one game its just simple impossible, unless us as a unit has a bad game collectively.

CloakNNNdagger 10-06-2012 02:02 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
I get the feeling that, unlike many here believe, by half time Cromartie will not be man on AJ. We will see the Jets go to more, if not mostly zone coverage when they realize the true meaning of their loss of Revis when playing a D like ours.

SheTexan 10-06-2012 02:15 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stemp (Post 2028950)
OD should have a monster day.

I hope so! I'm playing him, as well as AJ and Schaub, on my FF team this week. See how it goes playing three TEXANS!!:kitten: I simply could not resist.

welsh texan 10-06-2012 02:15 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
I get the feeling AJ has been a bit unhappy with his own performances so far this season, I've read quotes where he's talked about the adjustment from his knee injury and how he keeps feeling as if something is wrong with it but he isn't sure if its a real problem or not.

I also read a comment about a conversation him and Schaub had on the sideline during the Broncos game where he said he'd been playing crap all game, but Schaub said something to the effect of the ball was coming his way and he made that catch for the first down on the next drive.

AJ is our best receiver out there even if he isn't feeling at his best, but we need to hope he can get back to feeling 100% over these next few games because we're going to need him there with some tough games coming up.

Playoffs 10-06-2012 02:16 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HJam72 (Post 2028997)
Cromartie says, "Oh....I have to stop him from catching it too?" :choke:

Megatron is "covered" all the time. But Stafford throws to him in triple coverage and he still catches it.

Cromartie flaps his gums all the time. Andre is quiet and makes plays. Talk is cheap.

theNumber80 10-06-2012 02:21 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by welsh texan (Post 2029020)
I get the feeling AJ has been a bit unhappy with his own performances so far this season, I've read quotes where he's talked about the adjustment from his knee injury and how he keeps feeling as if something is wrong with it but he isn't sure if its a real problem or not.

I also read a comment about a conversation him and Schaub had on the sideline during the Broncos game where he said he'd been playing crap all game, but Schaub said something to the effect of the ball was coming his way and he made that catch for the first down on the next drive.

AJ is our best receiver out there even if he isn't feeling at his best, but we need to hope he can get back to feeling 100% over these next few games because we're going to need him there with some tough games coming up.

Andre isn't playing bad though. He's gotten open several times and Schaub doesn't look his way. Andre should be Schaub's 1st/2nd read. I mean Schaub has thrown it up for grabs to Kevin Walter and Lestar Jean yet he doesn't do it for Andre? And the two times he did we got a TD and almost another if not for some fluke ninja kick by Champ. Part of it is the playcalling because Andre only has ONE red-zone target so far and the other part is Schaub's unwillingness to look Andre's way. And what happens when he targets Andre in the passing game? Our offense is 5x better. The first offensive drive against Tennessee when we targeted Andre looked absolutely FLAWLESS. Andre NEEDS to be implemented into the offense way more. 25 targets in 4 games is inexcusable. A top 3 receiver not leading his team in targets? When does that EVER happen?

Texn4life 10-06-2012 02:32 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by theNumber80 (Post 2029022)
Andre isn't playing bad though. He's gotten open several times and Schaub doesn't look his way. Andre should be Schaub's 1st/2nd read. I mean Schaub has thrown it up for grabs to Kevin Walter and Lestar Jean yet he doesn't do it for Andre? And the two times he did we got a TD and almost another if not for some fluke ninja kick by Champ. Part of it is the playcalling because Andre only has ONE red-zone target so far and the other part is Schaub's unwillingness to look Andre's way. And what happens when he targets Andre in the passing game? Our offense is 5x better. The first offensive drive against Tennessee when we targeted Andre looked absolutely FLAWLESS. Andre NEEDS to be implemented into the offense way more. 25 targets in 4 games is inexcusable. A top 3 receiver not leading his team in targets? When does that EVER happen?

The past couple of years there have been people criticizing Schuab for looking at AJ too much and not throwing the ball to Walter and OD enough. The thing is spreading the ball around early in the year is going to open up opportunities for Andre later in the year. He has to understand that.

welsh texan 10-06-2012 02:35 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by theNumber80 (Post 2029022)
Andre isn't playing bad though. He's gotten open several times and Schaub doesn't look his way. Andre should be Schaub's 1st/2nd read. I mean Schaub has thrown it up for grabs to Kevin Walter and Lestar Jean yet he doesn't do it for Andre? And the two times he did we got a TD and almost another if not for some fluke ninja kick by Champ. Part of it is the playcalling because Andre only has ONE red-zone target so far and the other part is Schaub's unwillingness to look Andre's way. And what happens when he targets Andre in the passing game? Our offense is 5x better. The first offensive drive against Tennessee when we targeted Andre looked absolutely FLAWLESS. Andre NEEDS to be implemented into the offense way more. 25 targets in 4 games is inexcusable. A top 3 receiver not leading his team in targets? When does that EVER happen?

Not criticising AJ at all in my previous post and I tried to make that obvious. Don't you think that maybe if AJ isn't feeling 100% confident they are limiting the number of looks he's getting?

They also may be attempting to only hit him when he's needed. We saw in the Denver game, when we needed a 1st down, they went his way.

He's on pace for 1000 yards, he's already put up a 100 yard game, I just wonder if we're jumping the gun slightly to worry about him. You don't get too many receivers putting up 100 yards and 10 catches game in game out, especially when coming off injury, and with the amount of talent across from him.

I think we're going to see AJ begin to have a handful of big games per season at this stage, and the rest he'll be doing great things more quietly, this O is capable of featuring a different receiver in the passing game from week to week.

Outlaw7 10-06-2012 02:40 PM

Re: Cromartie confident he can cover AJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HJam72 (Post 2028997)
Cromartie says, "Oh....I have to stop him from catching it too?" :choke:

Lol this


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger