Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   The Read-Option (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95069)

dream_team 10-02-2012 04:48 PM

The Read-Option
 
If I was a Jets coach, I would seriously consider giving the Texans a heavy dose of the read-option with Tebow. There are just too many reasons why they should.

1. Sanchez & the offense has looked horrible!
2. Both starting receivers are injured and most likely won't play (Holmes & Hill)
3. If the Texans defense has a weakness, it's against the run
4. Keep the Texans offense on the sidelines

If the Jets go with this approach, how do you think we'll do? How do you suggest defending the read-option? I keep thinking back to the Panthers game last season. I know Tebow isn't anywhere close to the QB & athlete Cam is, but the Panthers were successful when they did run those read-option plays.

HJam72 10-02-2012 04:51 PM

Re: The Read-Option
 
Read what? :wadepalm:

hookinreds 10-02-2012 05:02 PM

Re: The Read-Option
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HJam72 (Post 2026768)
Read what? :wadepalm:

Read my lips...NO NEW TACTICS!

Yankee_In_TX 10-02-2012 05:09 PM

Re: The Read-Option
 
Braxton Miller sucks at it and I wish Urban still had Tebow?

TdotTexas2Step 10-02-2012 09:45 PM

Re: The Read-Option
 
Good post.

There's a good chance Tebow will see the most playing time he's seen this season on Monday night. As you said, it just makes too much sense to keep things on the ground for New York.

The Jets know they can't get into a shootout with us. The key thing for us will be our ends and OLBs being disciplined. Just sit on your assignment, and have confidence that your teammates will be where they're supposed to be.

I smell another big tackling night for Kareem Jackson as well.

CloakNNNdagger 10-02-2012 09:55 PM

Re: The Read-Option
 
Ryan insists that Sanchez will be starting on Monday.

Will Texans face Sanchez or Tebow?


By Dennis Waszak Jr./Associated Press
Posted October 2, 2012 at noon

Quote:

By the time the game Sunday was in its closing minutes, the remaining few wearing green and white made their feelings known with each chant, loud and clear:

"Tee-boww! Tee-boww!"

Well, this mess the New York Jets are in might be too big for even Tim Tebow to fix.

Mark Sanchez and the offense had another lousy performance in a 34-0 loss to the San Francisco 49ers. Bad passes, bad routes, bad football.

But this was supposed to be exactly how Tebow was going to help, by bringing a spark to the team by confusing defenses and making big plays.

So far, the Tebow wildcat experiment has been a dud. He has played in just 31 of the Jets' 257 offensive snaps, and Tebow has done little to strike fear in opposing defenses when he has been out there.

"We haven't been as successful at running the wildcat as I thought we would," Rex Ryan said. "I think that's fair to say, but again, without question, I'm not ready to give up on him. I think the wildcat is tough to defend and I've always said that."

Still, while they are standing by Sanchez right now, perhaps their biggest potential playmaker - Tebow - is mostly just standing by.

Ryan, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and owner Woody Johnson insisted all summer that Tebow wasn't a publicity stunt to sell tickets and jerseys. He was going to be a key part of a rejuvenated, dynamic and unpredictable offense under Tony Sparano.

Everyone is still waiting to see all that. Tebow was in on seven offensive plays - three at quarterback and four as a fullback - and accounted for a measly 9 yards Sunday. That came on the first and only pass he has thrown with New York, a jump toss to Dedrick Epps, who injured his right knee on the play and fumbled.


"I'm just ready and willing to do whatever they want me to do," Tebow said Sunday, not once saying anything that could be construed as frustration or be twisted to feed into an increasingly hotter quarterback situation.

Ryan did his best to defuse any talk about a change at the position, declaring Sanchez the undisputed starter after the game and then again Monday.

"I just know in my heart, right now, that this is not the time," Ryan said when asked what it would take for him to switch quarterbacks. "I think Tim is an outstanding player and I think Mark is. Right now, I think Mark gives us our best opportunity to win."


But there have been several moments in games this season that appeared to be perfect fits for Tebow to give the offense a boost. Instead, the NFL's most popular backup quarterback has remained on the sideline for many of those situations.

Texan_Bill 10-02-2012 09:55 PM

Re: The Read-Option
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dream_team (Post 2026764)
If I was a Jets coach, I would seriously consider giving the Texans a heavy dose of the read-option with Tebow. There are just too many reasons why they should.

1. Sanchez & the offense has looked horrible!
2. Both starting receivers are injured and most likely won't play (Holmes & Hill)
3. If the Texans defense has a weakness, it's against the run
4. Keep the Texans offense on the sidelines

If the Jets go with this approach, how do you think we'll do? How do you suggest defending the read-option? I keep thinking back to the Panthers game last season. I know Tebow isn't anywhere close to the QB & athlete Cam is, but the Panthers were successful when they did run those read-option plays.

:facepalm:

WOW!!!

That thing works maybe a play or two a game......... AT BEST!!!!!

If the Jets go with "that approach?"

Answer: WAY TOO MUCH to NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!!!


No offense to the OP, but this was the dumbest thing I've ever read.



*EDIT* No offense to OP!!!


Throw it out there bro' but that was kinda bad!

gtexan02 10-02-2012 10:04 PM

Re: The Read-Option
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 2026898)
:facepalm:

WOW!!!

That thing works maybe a play or two a game......... AT BEST!!!!!

If the Jets go with "that approach?"

Answer: WAY TOO MUCH to NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!!!


No offense to the OP, but this was the dumbest thing I've ever read.



*EDIT* No offense to OP!!!


Throw it out there bro' but that was kinda bad!

I think its a pretty good chance of happening against us. The Jets have their backs up against the wall and no where else to turn.

As for the quality of the thread, remember the guy who said he would prefer VY to Schaub?

CloakNNNdagger 10-02-2012 10:17 PM

Re: The Read-Option
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dream_team (Post 2026764)
If I was a Jets coach, I would seriously consider giving the Texans a heavy dose of the read-option with Tebow. There are just too many reasons why they should.

1. Sanchez & the offense has looked horrible!
2. Both starting receivers are injured and most likely won't play (Holmes & Hill)
3. If the Texans defense has a weakness, it's against the run
4. Keep the Texans offense on the sidelines

If the Jets go with this approach, how do you think we'll do? How do you suggest defending the read-option? I keep thinking back to the Panthers game last season. I know Tebow isn't anywhere close to the QB & athlete Cam is, but the Panthers were successful when they did run those read-option plays.

Tebow has finally been made aware of his subtle deficiency, compliments of Ryan, and he is working hard to overcome it.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...oTdTsKLDQ0NZtQ

Fred 10-02-2012 11:42 PM

Re: The Read-Option
 
The read-option is a good way to get a lot of extra hits on your QB and shorten his career. I think Shanny is stupid running so much of it with RGIII. But Tebow will never have a real QB career to be shortened, so what the heck, they should probably try it.

PapaL 10-02-2012 11:53 PM

I for one hope they run it all day. Our DE and OLBs will have a field day w it. Their passing offense is a complete joke so yeah let's line up 11 on 11 and see who wins.

Gladly take our D in that scenario.

76Texan 10-03-2012 02:43 AM

Re: The Read-Option
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dream_team (Post 2026764)
If I was a Jets coach, I would seriously consider giving the Texans a heavy dose of the read-option with Tebow. There are just too many reasons why they should.

1. Sanchez & the offense has looked horrible!
2. Both starting receivers are injured and most likely won't play (Holmes & Hill)
3. If the Texans defense has a weakness, it's against the run
4. Keep the Texans offense on the sidelines

If the Jets go with this approach, how do you think we'll do? How do you suggest defending the read-option? I keep thinking back to the Panthers game last season. I know Tebow isn't anywhere close to the QB & athlete Cam is, but the Panthers were successful when they did run those read-option plays.

The Panthers went with the zone read only 3 times (all in the fourth quarter).
The rest of Newton's runs was QB scrambles (I don't think I miss any.)

He gained 13, 8, and 3.
Newton's shiftiness and explosiveness on second gear made quite a few defenders miss (name some of your favorite front seven players.)
A good play by any of them could have stopped the play somewhere around the LOS.

Tebow has very good athleticism, but he's no Cam Newton.

The zone read or wildcat is best defended by interrupting the mess point (per coaches like Cowher).
A defense that gears to penetrate the backfield like the Texans is as well-equipped to stop this scheme as any.

Obviously, the offense schemes to block the defenders from penetrating.
It remains to see which one can execute better.

The variable is Tebow, and like I said, he's no Cam Newton.

dream_team 10-03-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 2026898)
:facepalm:

WOW!!!

That thing works maybe a play or two a game......... AT BEST!!!!!

If the Jets go with "that approach?"

Answer: WAY TOO MUCH to NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!!!


No offense to the OP, but this was the dumbest thing I've ever read.



*EDIT* No offense to OP!!!


Throw it out there bro' but that was kinda bad!

Ouch! Thanks for keeping things civil. A simple "I don't think so" would have been suffice. Giving reasons why the Jets won't do this, like what everyone else has done in here, is far more effective instead of just insulting me.

dream_team 10-03-2012 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2026966)
The Panthers went with the zone read only 3 times (all in the fourth quarter).
The rest of Newton's runs was QB scrambles (I don't think I miss any.)

He gained 13, 8, and 3.
Newton's shiftiness and explosiveness on second gear made quite a few defenders miss (name some of your favorite front seven players.)
A good play by any of them could have stopped the play somewhere around the LOS.

Tebow has very good athleticism, but he's no Cam Newton.

The zone read or wildcat is best defended by interrupting the mess point (per coaches like Cowher).
A defense that gears to penetrate the backfield like the Texans is as well-equipped to stop this scheme as any.

Obviously, the offense schemes to block the defenders from penetrating.
It remains to see which one can execute better.

The variable is Tebow, and like I said, he's no Cam Newton.

I agree, Tebow is nowhere close to being Cam. Call me crazy, though, but I'd rather see Sanchez taking the snaps rather than Tebow.

BlueSteel 10-03-2012 01:03 PM

Re: The Read-Option
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 2026897)
Ryan insists that Sanchez will be starting on Monday.

Will Texans face Sanchez or Tebow?


By Dennis Waszak Jr./Associated Press
Posted October 2, 2012 at noon

If you were Ryan, would you keep it under wraps so that your opponent wouldn't be as prepared?

If he announces that Tebow is starting we will focus the gameplan on stopping him.

gtexan02 10-03-2012 01:04 PM

Re: The Read-Option
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSteel (Post 2027180)
If you were Ryan, would you keep it under wraps so that your opponent wouldn't be as prepared?

If he announces that Tebow is starting we will focus the gameplan on stopping him.

Maybe he should say he's starting Tebow so we prepare for Tebow and then start Sanchez. of course, the Texans would probably predict this, so he should say he's tarting Tebow and then actually start Tebow. Unless, maybe the Texans ...

http://www.davidlouisedelman.com/wp-...cess-bride.jpg

paycheck71 10-03-2012 01:13 PM

Re: The Read-Option
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtexan02 (Post 2027182)
Maybe he should say he's starting Tebow so we prepare for Tebow and then start Sanchez. of course, the Texans would probably predict this, so he should say he's tarting Tebow and then actually start Tebow. Unless, maybe the Texans ...

http://www.davidlouisedelman.com/wp-...cess-bride.jpg

Excellent example. Hopefully the Texans have immunity for both and will be prepared for either one.

In any case, never get involved in a land war in Asia..., errr, football chess match with the Texans.

CloakNNNdagger 10-03-2012 10:41 PM

Re: The Read-Option
 
It won't matter much who the QB is this week. They have no one to keep our D honest in the receiving corps. Holmes is gone. Hill is gone. Keller (TE), now their only known commodity, is coming back after being out 3 weeks for a hamstring, and is likely to play tentatively, if he even makes it through the entire game. I read somewhere that the Jets just signed WR Jason Hill today. How contributory he can be on Monday would be very dubious.

GP 10-03-2012 11:28 PM

They haven't been able to adequately run even the small amount of scripted TebowCat plays with any success whatsoever.

How can they install an entire read-option system in one week?

Plus, this isn't the Fangio/Smith/Bush Texans defense. In those days, yeah it would work fairly well against us.

Vince Young and Chris Johnson had a lot of fun at our expense, but the scenarios are wildly different then and now. Jets have no RB to use with Tebow like Young had in Chris Johnson. They're screwed nine ways to Monday.

The ONLY way the Jets win is if the Texans take them lightly, some weird plays happen all game long (goofy plays), and our guys get so frustrated that they fall apart. It will come down to how smart and consistent OUR GUYS play on Monday night. The Jets, fundamentally speaking, are awful.

ObsiWan 10-04-2012 04:15 AM

Re: The Read-Option
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtexan02 (Post 2027182)
Maybe he should say he's starting Tebow so we prepare for Tebow and then start Sanchez. of course, the Texans would probably predict this, so he should say he's tarting Tebow and then actually start Tebow. Unless, maybe the Texans ...

http://www.davidlouisedelman.com/wp-...cess-bride.jpg

Rex is Sicilian??
Who knew?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger