Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Texans on Sports Radio? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94891)

Texan-American 09-26-2012 01:58 PM

Texans on Sports Radio?

First off, I'm new to the forum from Beaumont. I just branched out from HoustonTexans.com and thought I'd join y'all at TT.
Now, for my question...What radio station/show do you tune-in for your Texan fix? I usually listen to 97.5 FM and catch "The Blitz" and "The Drive"(Put 'em up Dukes!) in the afternoons. I always look forward to hearing about the Texans . Fred and AJ(The Blitz) seem to usually doubt the Texans, especially compared to Dukes(The Drive), who seems like a fan. Just wondering if I had any other options.

Playoffs 09-26-2012 02:01 PM

Re: Texans on Sports Radio?

Welcome to TT.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/category/sports/

TheIronDuke 09-26-2012 02:02 PM

790 AM is the best IMO but the others on the AM dial are 610 and 1560. 610 is mostly homer radio unless you listen in the afternoons then it's just a couple of morons talking about girls and other random non-sports stuff.

Norg 09-26-2012 02:07 PM

i listen to 610 AM the #1 sports radio station in houston manily cause there on 24/7 365

Rudyball 09-26-2012 02:07 PM

In the am - 790- Adam & Matt - flip to 610 when Vandemeer is on tho Nick Wright is warming up, then onto Koch & Kalu 10 - 12, then flip back to MAD radio on 610, then back to Pallilo & Lance on 610

Dutchrudder 09-26-2012 02:09 PM

Welcome to the boards!

790 is by far the best. I say don't bother with the rest, it's not worth your time. Listen online here (button at the top left): http://www.sports790.com/main.html

ChampionTexan 09-26-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan-American (Post 2022537)
First off, I'm new to the forum from Beaumont. I just branched out from HoustonTexans.com and thought I'd join y'all at TT.
Now, for my question...What radio station/show do you tune-in for your Texan fix? I usually listen to 97.5 FM and catch "The Blitz" and "The Drive"(Put 'em up Dukes!) in the afternoons. I always look forward to hearing about the Texans . Fred and AJ(The Blitz) seem to usually doubt the Texans, especially compared to Dukes(The Drive), who seems like a fan. Just wondering if I had any other options.

That's definitely a "Which is better chocolate or vanilla ice cream?" kind of question. Everybody has their own preference, and it's kind of a fools errand to try to convince somebody who likes vanilla that chocolate is actually better. (The correct answer is Blue Bell Butter Pecan BTW).

I've been a fan of both Charlie Palillo and Lance Zierlein for quite awhile now, and as fate would have it, they're now co-hosting a show on 790 KBME that runs from 3:00 till 7:00 in the afternoon/evening. Lance (LZ) is extremely knowledgable about football, and Charlie is extremely knowledgable about pretty much everything. Others will tell you different things, and you should consider it all and maybe check a few different shows and decide for yourself.

Most every show is loved by someone, and most every show is hated by someone, so give any of 'em that might interest you a chance, and see what your preference is.

Others I like are:

N.D. Kalu and Gregg Koch on 790 from 10:00 A.M. until noon
I like the Blitz - as you apparently do too. Carl Dukes - not so much.
You can also check out 1560 which is Yahoo sports radio, but originates (mostly) here in Houston. I don't listen to it much, so I don't have much to say good or bad. Finally, as you are surely aware, 610 AM (KILT) is the Flagship station for the Texans, so they're probably the most Texan-centered station in town. Some don't like the on-air personalities, some feel they're shills for the Texans because of the business relationship. There are things there I like, but not many.

Texan-American 09-26-2012 02:18 PM

Thanks for all the feedback!

badboy 09-26-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan-American (Post 2022561)
Thanks for all the feedback!

Go with CT's post above but imo the best news/info/opinion is righet here. Welcome to the MB and check out the other forums. If interested in NFL draft check out mocks under NFL forum. Several of us offer input on college players.

nero THE zero 09-26-2012 02:23 PM

Now that Dylan Gwinn has adopted a fake southern accent and gone to right-wing radio (a role he is *perfectly* suited for, I might add), 790 is the play from 6a-7p.

610 does do some good Texans only stuff with Vandameer, like his show with Arian Foster. But, so far as everyday line-up goes, 790 is by far my favorite.

cdollaz 09-26-2012 02:30 PM

790 is the best particularly Charlie/Lance from 3-7, although the morning guys are good as well.

On 1560, Sean Pendergast is good in the morning, and the Antonio Smith show on Monday afternoons is great. I really like Travis Rodgers from 11-3, but he is probably more of a love him or hate him type.

I haven't listened to 610 in years. When you are down to having Barry Warner on your station, it is time to go away.

SmoochyTX 09-26-2012 06:22 PM

Welcome to TT!

As far as radio goes, I listen to both 790 and 610. For me, it mostly depends on my mood and what day it is but generally I prefer Matt Thomas mid-day on 790 and then MaD Radio with Josh & Rich in the afternoon on 610. Monday mornings and all day Tuesday is always all 610 though. :)

97roc 09-26-2012 07:52 PM

790. Even more so now with Z pairing up with Charlie...

False Start 09-26-2012 08:22 PM

For wall to wall Texans talk it's 610, but the new lineup is just bad.
610 has just gone to crap. I refer to it as PC Radio 610.

I listen to 610 for the Arian Foster show, and Texans live on Tuesday's. Any other time its 790. ND Kalu, and Greg Koch's show "In The Trenches" is top notch. I like Matt Thomas in the midday, and CP, and LZ, in the afternoon. In the morning, I just don't tune in until Koch and Kalu come on. I cant stand Matt Jackson, and Adam Wexler, and I really cant stand Lopez, and Nick Wright, they're horrible.

silentassassin 09-26-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 2022571)
790 is the best particularly Charlie/Lance from 3-7, although the morning guys are good as well.

On 1560, Sean Pendergast is good in the morning, and the Antonio Smith show on Monday afternoons is great. I really like Travis Rodgers from 11-3, but he is probably more of a love him or hate him type.

I haven't listened to 610 in years. When you are down to having Barry Warner on your station, it is time to go away.

That guy is just a name-dropper and seems to patronize listeners a lot. It's pretty annoying.

Rey 09-27-2012 12:08 AM

I don't listen to 790 much anymore...

I used to when I didn't know any better. I like 610's heavy texans coverage and I like that they seem to have fun.

Palilo is boring to me and when I listened to him and lance the other day it was awkward. No offense to lz, but Charlie sounded like a man who had just been castrated.

His show wasn't good enough to even pretend to compete anymore so they added lz so he could try to add some life to the party.

IMHO, lz would be better on 610 or with Matt Thomas...he should host with someone with more personality.

Palilo should be moved to the night shift. I'd actually listen to him over Barry Warner sometimes. But palilo just talks too much baseball for me.

Nd kalu's show is ok, but sounds kind of amateurish. He has some good takes seeing as he played not too long ago.

But overall, IMO, 610 presents a far superior product. They make me laugh and they have texans heavy coverage.

A lot of their takes suck, but I don't care about their opinions. I listen to be entertained and informed about the texans and rockets and they succeed at both.

Rey 09-27-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentassassin (Post 2022755)
That guy is just a name-dropper and seems to patronize listeners a lot. It's pretty annoying.

Barry is funny...in a laugh at him, not with him kind if way...

I rarely agree with anything he says, but he does have a lot of good connections and has some interesting stories to tell since he's been around so long.

AnthonyE 09-27-2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan-American (Post 2022537)

1560 used to be my favorite station, but over the last year, year and a half they've really lowered their quality imo. They used to be the the city's only independent station, but after Yahoo! Sports bought them out and folks started to leave they've sucked.

I listen to 97.5 because I don't get AM in my car nowadays. Although, on clear days I'd rather listen to 790. 97.5 streams too many games that I don't care about. Btw, Dukes left 97.5 today. And it seems like The Blitz is now moving to The Drive's timeslot.