Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Ben Jones needs to start at RG (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94800)

NastyNate 09-24-2012 04:18 AM

Ben Jones needs to start at RG

Not even questionable, our running game was on fire with him in. He needs to start.

kiwitexansfan 09-24-2012 04:25 AM

Re: Ben Jones needs to start at RG

I think Ben Jones might be the player that I always hoped Antione Caldwell would become.

NastyNate 09-24-2012 04:33 AM

He did get moved back a good 6 yards on the Tate running play in the first quarter, I'd have to revisit the game tape to determine the exact play, but every other play he was very good at sealing his block.

otisbean 09-24-2012 06:09 AM

He looked terrific for most of the game. Great pick up by the Texans.

eriadoc 09-24-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan (Post 2020435)
I think Ben Jones might be the player that I always hoped Antione Caldwell would become.

This. I can't express how disappointed I am in Caldwell. I have only noticed Jones a few times int he run game, burying people. How has he looked on pass plays? Maybe that's why he isn't playing full time yet?

False Start 09-24-2012 09:51 AM

I'm with you man. This guy may turn out to be "that guy" that is the surprise of this year's draft.

76Texan 09-24-2012 11:26 AM

Not so fast!

I've always said that I like Ben Jones better as a prospect out of college, but Caldwell's play shouldn't lose him his job yet.

We scored 24 points with Caldwell in the game and 7 with Ben Jones.

Both had a few subpar plays and it should continue to be a good battle to watch.

Ii will depend on how fast Ben Jones can improve; let's hope he can improve sooner rather than later (or slowly or not at all).

Doppelganger 09-24-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2020660)
Not so fast!

I've always said that I like Ben Jones better as a prospect out of college, but Caldwell's play shouldn't lose him his job yet.

Both had a few subpar plays and it should continue to be a good battle to watch.

Ii will depend on how fast Ben Jones can improve; let's hope he can improve sooner rather than later (or slowly or not at all).

I think Jones will continue to improve and will be an OG starter next year. Hopefully big Brandon Brooks can get up to speed and be ready to start next year. Having an interior line of Jones, Myers, and Brooks would be absolutely filthy.

Jackie Chiles 09-24-2012 12:50 PM

I haven't watched that spot closely but I will point out the only time Caldwell stuck out to me was on the Kevin Walter TD. He gets pushed back about 10 feet and the defender is just using him for a punching bag. Watch him closely on that play, it looks like he just wilts, he might have been yelling "uncle."

eriadoc 09-24-2012 01:39 PM

If you go back and watch the Schaub INT, Ben Jones is in at RG on that play and he puts his guy on the ground. I just happened to notice it after I asked about his pass pro upthread.

beerlover 09-24-2012 01:43 PM

Jones evaluation as starting RG material should be conclusive starting next week against the Titans.

getball2dre 09-24-2012 01:45 PM

I have been very impressed with Jones so far. He's a little undersized for a guard, but he definitely uses it to his advantage to get to the 2nd level so quickly.

NastyNate 09-24-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2020660)
Not so fast!

We also coughed up the ball when Caldwell got beat to the inside on his block and stripped Tate. Neither was perfect but I believe Ben Jones is the better option.

Fili 09-24-2012 03:12 PM

He is a monster. Holds the block and opens up a huge hole.

GP 09-24-2012 03:15 PM

It looked like, on that play, that the DL had stuck his hand into the gut of Tate and basically was able to disrupt Tate's attempt to secure the ball with both hands/arms.

So for me, I blame the OL for missing that assignment so quickly. Great play by the DL, no doubt, but the OL was not helping matters for us.

NastyNate 09-24-2012 03:40 PM

Caldwell also got destroyed on the third and 3 that would have finished out the game in the 4th quarter, not even close. Looks to try and cut block and whiffs.

steelbtexan 09-24-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doppelganger (Post 2020739)
I think Jones will continue to improve and will be an OG starter next year. Hopefully big Brandon Brooks can get up to speed and be ready to start next year. Having an interior line of Jones, Myers, and Brooks would be absolutely filthy.

This is what I hope the interior of the OL looks like after next yr.

Provided Jones and Brooks keep improving and play up to their talent level.

Hopefully, Brooks is spending this yr learning what it takes to be a pro OL. (Not just talent, which he's loaded with. But discipline and healthy eating habits)

76Texan 09-24-2012 09:43 PM

Once again, I had said during the draft season that I like Ben Jones better than Caldwell as a prospect. I also like Brandon Brooks for the long term better than Caldwell.

But one look at the number of snaps each players played and grade them on each.
Ben also had some poor plays.
He had not done enough to unseat Caldwell from the starting spot, IMHO.

It's all good.
Before the season starts, a few posters didn't think Kubiak will alternate players.
I disagreed.
I didn't see either Newton or Butler as lock; I didn't see either Caldwell or Brooks as lock.
I "promised" that Ben Jones is the heir apparent to Myers at Center (I never said the same thing about Caldwell back then when he was drafted - and Myers wasn't as good then as he is today), but I also believed that he (BJ) can fit well at Guard.
I was glad to see him playing multi-positions in the PS (and did well).

badboy 09-24-2012 10:05 PM

Now hold on right there! Sounds like this thread has been saying our Oline guys are rotating. I got clobbered preseason talking about rotating on the offensive line. Castigated I was. "32 NFL teams do not rotate Oline" so why would I even suggest that a rotation would be considered? Dline yes but how dare I suggest an Oline rotation? Wish I could find that thread so I could have a bit of cold revenge. WHAHAHA

GP 09-24-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2021298)
Now hold on right there! Sounds like this thread has been saying our Oline guys are rotating. I got clobbered preseason talking about rotating on the offensive line. Castigated I was. "32 NFL teams do not rotate Oline" so why would I even suggest that a rotation would be considered? Dline yes but how dare I suggest an Oline rotation? Wish I could find that thread so I could have a bit of cold revenge. WHAHAHA

Rep your way. Good call.