Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Manziel (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94774)

Wolf 09-22-2012 08:31 PM

Manziel

The ole Kerrville boy was kicking butt today in the first half against South Carolina

Aggies up 49-7 at half

15-20 173 yards 3 TDs 197.2 QB rating (sacked 2)

8 rushes 78 yards 2 TD's

Showers is in for the Aggies now

This is probably the most college football I have ever watched outside of bowl games. I am a UT fan so I never really watched the Aggies. I am just keeping on eye on the local kid

However the SEC is coming so.....things will get A LOT tougher for him and Aggies

sakebomb 09-24-2012 06:35 AM

Re: Manziel

Of course he looked good. South Carolina State is worse than some of the high school teams he faced in the past. :spin:

Hopefully he can duplicate the numbers during SEC games.

Gig em.

Wolf 09-29-2012 01:21 PM

18-24 for 261 yards 3 TD with 207.6 qb rating

in the first half against arkansas

Stemp 09-29-2012 01:24 PM

409 yards total offense by A&M.

IN THE FIRST HALF.

Dan B. 09-29-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stemp (Post 2024292)
409 yards total offense by A&M.

IN THE FIRST HALF.

They had 404 in the first half against Arky last year.

midway 09-29-2012 01:57 PM

They didn't have a second half like this last year though.

Dutchrudder 09-29-2012 04:57 PM

Incredible game for Manziel, I can't believe he's a freshman. He looks very promising for the future. I'm much more hopeful that we will at least make a bowl game this year after the game today. I think we can beat the Mississippis, Auburn, Missouri and the two non-sec schools. That would give us a record of 9-3. Probably won't win all of those, so I think 8-4 is more reasonable, but I'll be disappointed if we don't win at least 7 at this point.

steelbtexan 09-29-2012 05:27 PM

Manziel looks like a stud.

A&M has a bright futre with him.

Wish the Horns had recruited him as a QB.

TexansLucky13 09-29-2012 05:43 PM

Things will only get better for him and the Aggies as a whole. Prospects want to play in the SEC. I foresee them getting quite a few highly rated guys who would have otherwise gone to UT, OU, etc....

Corrosion 10-08-2012 08:27 PM

This kid is special ..... coming from a Longhorn. :cow:

GlassHalfFull 10-10-2012 10:52 AM

Fun video highlight for Johnny F'ing Football

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1A5zDJWsFo

DocBar 10-13-2012 10:06 PM

I would love to see him end up as a Texan but I hope we're not drafting in the top 2 in a few years.

EDIT: If he keeps it up, I wouldn't be against trading up to get him....

Dutchrudder 10-13-2012 10:45 PM

He sure is fun to watch. Can't say I wouldn't want him on the Texans, but it's a bit too early to be slotting him for the NFL draft. He's not an exceptional passer IMO, and he takes too many risks running around the backfield for 10+ seconds sometimes. That sort of stuff doesnt translate to the NFL very well. Love him in College though.

GlassHalfFull 10-13-2012 11:08 PM

He is ridiculous. Goes down after a possible fumble and tackles one guy for a fumble, then tackles the 2nd guy.

DocBar 10-14-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2035421)
He sure is fun to watch. Can't say I wouldn't want him on the Texans, but it's a bit too early to be slotting him for the NFL draft. He's not an exceptional passer IMO, and he takes too many risks running around the backfield for 10+ seconds sometimes. That sort of stuff doesnt translate to the NFL very well. Love him in College though.

WTF are you talking about?? The kid is accurate as hell on bootlegs, he's mobile and can extend drives with his legs. He's displaying all of this in every game. He's Schaub with wheels. Ya know, if Brett Favra had been in Kubiaks system, he'd be a 1st ballot HOF'er.

Stemp 10-14-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocBar (Post 2035439)
WTF are you talking about?? The kid is accurate as hell on bootlegs, he's mobile and can extend drives with his legs. He's displaying all of this in every game. He's Schaub with wheels. Ya know, if Brett Favra had been in Kubiaks system, he'd be a 1st ballot HOF'er.

He's only a freshman. As good as he is, he will be better in 2 or 3 years.

BTW, he just ran for 75 yards for a TD to put A&M back up by 3 scores.

GlassHalfFull 10-14-2012 12:30 AM

Johnny F'ing Football.

Dutchrudder 10-14-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocBar (Post 2035439)

A good amount of his completions come from broken plays because he chose not to throw it to a WR during their route. Those completions simply won't happen much in the NFL, and would likely be sacks, TFLs or throw aways. His play style is similar to Vince Young in that much of his positive yardage comes from these sorts of broken plays, and I'm not going to overlook that when draft time comes. It's great that he can make something happen, but I'd rather have a disciplined QB that will go through his progressions and hit receivers in stride more often than not.

He also has the issue that guys like Vick, RG3 and Cam have where the QB likes to run the ball too much and will put himself in harms way. It's not always a bad thing, but I'd rather see my QB get it done more often with passes than runs. It's great if they are mobile enough to pick up the 1st, but I would prefer that to not happen too often so we don't see the QB get injured.

It's just his first year though, so I hope to see improvement in these areas, most importantly less reliance on running and more on passing. Hell of player though, and I"m more excited for A&M football than I ever have been before. I expect the Manziel for Heisman campaign should start this week, and rightfully so. :)

htownfan32 10-17-2012 08:22 PM

Well, I'm sure Sumlin won't want Manziel to be a total Vince Young clone. I agree, that doesn't translate too well to the NFL. Sumlin does want him to stick in the pocket and only use his feet when necessary, because those big SEC linebackers will lay some hurt on him if he tries running too much.

Give him a few years, and see what he does. I think he's got Heisman potential.

Goldensilence 10-20-2012 07:19 PM

Well.... that should end any Heisman talk for now.

Florida used the same alignment in the second half of their game as well. If LSU had any sort of offense that game wouldn't have been as close.

Kid's a gamer now and he's going to get better in Sumlin's offense though and when he fully gets it, it's going to be scary for opponents.