Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   OLB Play (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94663)

gtexan02 09-18-2012 11:30 AM

OLB Play

Just wondering how Reed, Mercilus, and Barwin have looked so far. I've seen a lot of JJ highlights, but not much about our big 3 OLBs. Are they making an impact as well?

Its hard to see details when you're watching the small tv at the huge sports bar!

msbbc833 09-18-2012 12:30 PM

Re: OLB Play

Lets not forget that the Jags offense only had a total of ~16minutes of playing time. Not a lot of plays to result in tackles, sacks,etcs

buddyboy 09-18-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msbbc833 (Post 2016037)
Lets not forget that the Jags offense only had a total of ~16minutes of playing time. Not a lot of plays to result in tackles, sacks,etcs

There was something like 26 dropbacks to pass total. Not really fair to judge a team pass rush-wise on 26 dropbacks.

badboy 09-18-2012 01:59 PM

I expect Mr Peyton will see a bit more of our LBs than the first two QBs. Wade should release the hounds Sunday.

blitz90 09-18-2012 03:01 PM

I've been a bit worried about our outside pass rush. Barwin and Reed haven't done much sack-wise. They've brought pressure which causes the other front 5 to make plays so thats a good thing. I've seen Mercilus in on only a few plays against the Jags and he was stonewalled by the Tackle and it looked like he gave up.
At least its still early in the season. These guys are gonna get theirs at some point.

76Texan 09-18-2012 03:17 PM

Well, we all know that pressure can come from different places.

For a penetrating defense like ours where Watt, Ninja are such forces with Mitchell, Jamison also do their part, the OLBs are further from action and can't get there as fast (on the average).

Also, we've had stunts with the OLB going inside stoning both his man and the G to allow our Ends to make play.

It's quite effective as we've been able to keep the inside lane clogged up while still going at it on the pass rush with the Ends.

I imagine Wade Phillips will bring different varieties to the table against different opponents without even have to throw the kitchen sink at them.

He has good personnel here that should allow him to do so many things.
This team is going yard, man.

The best defense I've seen with all the teams from Houston.

Titans Sux 72 09-18-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2016106)
I expect Mr Peyton will see a bit more of our LBs than the first two QBs. Wade should release the hounds Sunday.

Well said.
Peyton has not faced "this" Texans D coached by Son of Bum.
For 7 years he played against a horrendous Texans D with subpar talent. I am sure Wade has something under his sleeve for ol Peyton.
Peyton is gonna pick on Kareem all day long. Kareem better put in a little extra conditioning cause he's gonna get a work out Sunday.

badboy 09-21-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 (Post 2016182)
Well said.
Peyton has not faced "this" Texans D coached by Son of Bum.
For 7 years he played against a horrendous Texans D with subpar talent. I am sure Wade has something under his sleeve for ol Peyton.
Peyton is gonna pick on Kareem all day long. Kareem better put in a little extra conditioning cause he's gonna get a work out Sunday.

Yeah, I am thinking Kubes has to neutralize Denver's Miller & Dumerville and Wade has to locked down Denver's O. Both can be done with power by double teams and runs up the middle or slight of hand with quick plays such as the muddle huddle Peyton also uses, quick passes to the middle and sideline passes. I do not see AJ getting off this game but he will take DBs out of the mix.

Wade will keep Manning guessing if he is about to be decapitated or if Texans will squeeze the backfield. I think Peyton is fixing to be very frustrated Sunday.

I am very concerned that Kubes will get a lead and sit on it, allowing Denver to make another closing run in fourth quarter.

The Pencil Neck 09-21-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2018291)
I am very concerned that Kubes will get a lead and sit on it, allowing Denver to make another closing run in fourth quarter.

Kubiak remembers the Rosencopter only too well.

Rey 09-21-2012 10:43 PM

Honestly, I'd like to see Jj Watt line up outside with Jamison taking his position inside on some plays.

Im not a huge fan of the olb's as individual pass rushers on this team. I like barwin the most out of all the rotational guys, but I think watt is the best pass rusher we have. I'd like to see him get some weakside pass rush attempts in definite passing situations. And even occasionally stand up at Olb every once in a while .

b0ng 09-21-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2018367)
Honestly, I'd like to see Jj Watt line up outside with Jamison taking his position inside on some plays.

Im not a huge fan of the olb's as individual pass rushers on this team. I like barwin the most out of all the rotational guys, but I think watt is the best pass rusher we have. I'd like to see him get some weakside pass rush attempts in definite passing situations. And even occasionally stand up at Olb every once in a while .

Maybe every once in awhile as a wrinkle, but I don't know if making Watt have to run a few extra yards to get to the QB is such a hot idea. Guy is a huge bruiser up front and I think his versatility is better served rotating out of the 3 spots on the D-line (Similar to what Haloti Ngata does on the Ravens). If we're using the 4-down linemen look that Wade likes to bust out on 3rd down passing situations, I can see Watt being able to play any spot on that line. But starting out way further away from the ball seems like you're taking away Watt's ability to disrupt the QB or the ball carrier in a quick fashion.

Plus, you're possibly subbing out Tim Jamison for Barwin or Reed, and I think that takes the overall speed of the defense down a notch when you do that.

badboy 09-21-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Hey were you not one of the guys saying let a player do what he does best? Watt is a beast where he is. I say let Barwin and Reed do what they get paid to. lol I want to see Antonio Smith whack a Manning like this
:voodoo:

Rey 09-22-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2018402)
Hey were you not one of the guys saying let a player do what he does best? Watt is a beast where he is. I say let Barwin and Reed do what they get paid to. lol I want to see Antonio Smith whack a Manning like this
:voodoo:

I don't recall saying that, but I do believe that.

But I don't think that applies here. It's about maximizing the teams production.

Hopefully reed, barwin and merci prove me wrong though because I'd honestly let watt play outside at de some in passing situations.

Matter if fact I've already seen it once this year. Watt and smith were lined up on the same side. Watt at de and smith at one if the dt spots in a four man front for a passing situation. I think watt ended up stunting inside and batting a ball.

But anyways, I think watt would be even better if he got a few more pass rush attempts from the outside. The guy is very difficult to handle. Great burst of the line, great strength and then those long arms keep o linemen from controlling him. And the guys athleticism for his size is superb.

Carr Bombed 09-22-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Watt is tied for 2nd place in the NFL in sacks and oddly enough has also been one of the top pass defenders in the league playing where he's currently at and being utilized like he has been.. in short, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Barwin led the team in sacks last season, have patience.. they'll come. A selfish part of me is enjoying the fact that Barwin isn't getting a bunch of sacks and we're still winning.. it'll make him that easier to re-sign, however I don't expect that to continue.. you can't keep a good guy down and Watt will now draw double teams. He did in the second half of the Jags game.. it was one of the few adjustments they made.. luckily for us, he was still beating them. :) The kid is special, he can be a all-time great as long as he stays healthy. This may be high praise, but the guy reminds me of Bob Lilly.. he's just bigger and stronger (country strong) than anyone else on the field. He's the best pick this team has ever made and with #80, that's high praise.

If you move J.J. to a OLB position you're losing upfront.. (Bruce Smith did just fine playing along the line under Wade in the 3-4) Jaminson isn't the game changer that Watt is and you're pulling either Barwin or Reed off the field, who are both better pass rushers than Jaminson.

Rey 09-22-2012 08:50 AM

Well I don't agree with any of that other than Jj watt being a beast. Wade has already shown some different looks with Jj playing outside.

Carr Bombed 09-24-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2018462)
Well I don't agree with any of that other than Jj watt being a beast. Wade has already shown some different looks with Jj playing outside.

Yep I'm pretty sure he needs to keep his hand in the dirt.

HOU-TEX 09-24-2012 11:45 AM

I haven't re-watched the game yet, but was Barwin playing? Ha

Reed flashed a few times, but both our OLB's seem to be struggling a little. I'd think Barwin would want to increase his $ value this season. I'm not panicking yet, but I'm definitely beginning to think about it

beerlover 09-24-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2020683)
I haven't re-watched the game yet, but was Barwin playing? Ha

Reed flashed a few times, but both our OLB's seem to be struggling a little. I'd think Barwin would want to increase his $ value this season. I'm not panicking yet, but I'm definitely beginning to think about it

I could have sworn on that wild last play that eventually fizzled along with Broncos hope of winning, that Connor Barwin was clutching his knee laying on the sideline. Hope It was nothing but didn't look good then coverage left the game. Anybody else see this or any injury news?

DRP 09-24-2012 12:27 PM

He was part of the last tackle and once the play was dead he got up with the ball.