Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Right Guard: It's On (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94625)

thunderkyss 09-16-2012 07:02 PM

Right Guard: It's On

Looks like we've still got a competition going at RG.

I thoght Antoine was doing a fine job through pre-season & again week 1 against the Dolphins.

For whatever reason, we got a look at Ben Jones today & he didn't look half bad. This may be an interesting battle to watch as the season goes on.

Allstar 09-16-2012 07:14 PM

Re: Right Guard: It's On

Makes you wonder what's going on with Brooks. It'll be interesting if they try him out at tackle.

kiwitexansfan 09-16-2012 07:18 PM

Well the running game worked much better today, although that might be as much about the defense we were facing as about the line play.

What was the split between their snaps?

GP 09-16-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allstar (Post 2014947)
Makes you wonder what's going on with Brooks. It'll be interesting if they try him out at tackle.

I noticed Brooks was inactive today, though.

Can't remember if it was injury related or not.

Rey 09-16-2012 07:22 PM

Brooks was inactive last week too.

You can only carry so many and he's not one of the top guys.

badboy 09-16-2012 07:42 PM

As a true right guard in college I expected Brooks to beat Caldwell easily. His size not just bulk but his ability to fit the ZBS may be more a problem than I thought. There has been no mention if he has kept his weight off & reducing since Kubes scolded him in camp. Perhaps it is an issue?

Insideop 09-16-2012 08:06 PM

Anyone know if Caldwell is injured or not?

phantom17 09-16-2012 08:10 PM

I thought Ben Jones played well. I really liked this pick from the get go. I like them tough & smart. :texanbill:

CloakNNNdagger 09-16-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insideop (Post 2014986)
Anyone know if Caldwell is injured or not?

Insideop, this should answer your question.

Quote:

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

Kubiak said it was planned for rookie Ben Jones to play every 3rd series today for RG Antoine Caldwell, They rotated all game #Texans

2:42 PM - 16 Sep 12

dsorc 09-16-2012 08:36 PM

I see this more as preparation for Caldwell not being re-signed for next year. The only issue might be that we'll need to draft another OC since after Jones we have nobody capable of playing there.

wolf123 09-16-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsorc (Post 2015021)
I see this more as preparation for Caldwell not being re-signed for next year. The only issue might be that we'll need to draft another OC since after Jones we have nobody capable of playing there.

Jones can play both positions.

badboy 09-16-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf123 (Post 2015022)
Jones can play both positions.

Yep but better hope Brooks develops if Caldwell gone and Jones has to play center if Myers hurt.

Insideop 09-16-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 2014996)
Insideop, this should answer your question.

Thanks!

Sounds like they are not completely satisfied with Caldwell and may be targeting Ben Jones as his replacement. He must be too good to just sit behind Myers at Center and they want to get him on the field anyway they can. I wonder if this means Brooks may ultimately be moved to LG and replace Wade Smith, who is getting a little "long in the tooth."

NitroGSXR 09-16-2012 09:23 PM

Jones's forte is in the run game. We ran the run game a lot today. Even a ton of our passes were dumpoffs to the RBs. Might be why we stuck with him so much today?

Brandon420tx 09-16-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsorc (Post 2015021)

In that scenario if Myers went down B.Jones would slide over to center and the backup guard would take that spot

thunderkyss 09-16-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon420tx (Post 2015059)
In that scenario if Myers went down B.Jones would slide over to center and the backup guard would take that spot

I never liked those scenarios. If Ben Jones is our strongest RG & Myers is our strongest Center, then when you lose Myers, you're putting your 2nd best Center on the field with your 2nd best RG.

This may be a way to get Jones some snaps, just so he isn't overwhelmed taking over at Center one day. Who knows?

badboy 09-16-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Brandon that is my point. 2013 Caldwell is let go, Myers gets hurt and Jones replaces him. Who plays RG? It would have to be Brooks and some are saying he has not done well. See what I mean?

dsorc 09-16-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Yes, the same way Brisiel was the backup OC last year. But even then, I think most teams prefer having a backup that can play OG/C rather than sliding a starter for continuity purposes. All I'm saying is that if Caldwell leaves, we're likely drafting his replacement. And if Jones takes over at RG then it makes sense to draft a OC/G rather than somebody who is only OG.

CretorFrigg 09-16-2012 11:07 PM

I always assumed Antoine Caldwell would assume the starting position in a year or two after he was drafted. There were high hopes for him, but he's never lived up to expectations.

Competition is good, and may the best player win.

Wolf6151 09-17-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CretorFrigg (Post 2015109)
I always assumed Antoine Caldwell would assume the starting position in a year or two after he was drafted. There were high hopes for him, but he's never lived up to expectations.

My sentiments exactly. I'm very disappointed in Caldwell, he's been here long enough he should be dominating at RG by now instead of barley hanging on and possibly being replaced by a rookie. Caldwell hopefully can read the writing on the wall and should know that he's auditioning for the rest of the league this year. When the team drafts 2 rookies that can play your position, that's called a clue. Like a hit over the head with a 2x4 kind of clue.