Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Connor Barwin? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94448)

awc713 09-10-2012 12:43 PM

Connor Barwin?

What are your thoughts on the guy?

Seemed to disappear in the playoffs against Cinci, don't remember him being much of a factor agianst Baltimore.

Didn't look that great yesterday either. Reason for worry? Is he over-rated? 4 of his sacks did come in one game agaisnt Gabbert...

thoughts?

Bleed_Blu_Red 09-10-2012 12:50 PM

Re: Connor Barwin?

Wouldn't say he is overrated,sometimes you just don't factor into games I'm sure he will be fine and put up numbers 15 regular season games left.

Vinny 09-10-2012 12:52 PM

I think that it's only a matter of time when Whitney Mercilus replaces him. I think he and Reed are both strong side guys.

Rey 09-10-2012 01:04 PM

I'm not a huge fan of any of the edge rushers we have really. I like barwin, but I'm with vinny. I think he'd look better playing with a true weakside pass rusher. I'm not convinced merciless is that guy, but he looks more explosive coming off the edge than anyone else I've seen besides watt.

I liked the look I saw yesterday with watt at end and smith at dt when they were rushing the passer.

Bulls on Parade 09-10-2012 01:05 PM

Look for Barwin to rack up two or three sacks against Gabbert this Sunday.

Vinny 09-10-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2010759)
I'm not a huge fan of any of the edge rushers we have really. I like barwin, but I'm with vinny. I think he'd look better playing with a true weakside pass rusher. I'm not convinced merciless is that guy, but he looks more explosive coming off the edge than anyone else I've seen besides watt.

I liked the look I saw yesterday with watt at end and smith at dt when they were rushing the passer.

I think their best look is when Watt is playing the 3 Technique and Barwin at the 5.

Playoffs 09-10-2012 01:26 PM

Depends on how they gameplan our defense. Connor is a stud -- I think I'd point my offense toward Reed/Mercilus if choosing my poisin.

IDEXAN 09-10-2012 03:52 PM

Has Barwin put on weight since last year ?

Bleed_Blu_Red 09-10-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2010984)
Has Barwin put on weight since last year ?

Ya he is 270,before he was 255 or 260 a lot of people say that's why he isn't the same he lost quickness and acceleration. it's just one game to me.

thunderkyss 09-10-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 2010740)
I think that it's only a matter of time when Whitney Mercilus replaces him. I think he and Reed are both strong side guys.

I agree.

Didn't think he disappeared in the play-offs though.

thunderkyss 09-10-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red (Post 2010987)
Ya he is 270,before he was 255 or 260 a lot of people say that's why he isn't the same he lost quickness and acceleration. it's just one game to me.

Why would he gain weight if he's going to play the weakside?

wolf123 09-10-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red (Post 2010987)

He bulked up and then worried that the weight might make him lose a step. I've watched him very closely and he looks to me like he has.

Texan_Bill 09-10-2012 07:55 PM

More than a good chance that Barwin won't be a Texan. We drafted Mercilus for a reason. Not because Connor isn't a good player, but because of simple financial sense....

BTW, It's a good thing whenever you have to part with good players, especially well liked players... You know what that means?? It means you're probably a pretty good football team.

That said, I hope the Texans can somehow get really..... REALLY creative and get him re-signed!!

Corrosion 09-10-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 2011153)
More than a good chance that Barwin won't be a Texan. We drafted Mercilus for a reason. Not because Connor isn't a good player, but because of simple financial sense....

BTW, It's a good thing whenever you have to part with good players, especially well liked players... You know what that means?? It means you're probably a pretty good football team.

That said, I hope the Texans can somehow get really..... REALLY creative and get him re-signed!!

I think Barwin gets franchised if they cant work something out ....:shades:

Bleed_Blu_Red 09-10-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2011144)
Why would he gain weight if he's going to play the weakside?

Hey I'm not the coaches or Barwin I just know he bulked up?

badboy 09-10-2012 08:03 PM

If weight is an issue that can be corrected probably easier than gaining

Bleed_Blu_Red 09-10-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf123 (Post 2011147)
He bulked up and then worried that the weight might make him lose a step. I've watched him very closely and he looks to me like he has.

He didn't say bulking up would slow him down. I said a lot of people blamed his weight gain for the reason he hasn't been effective so far. I can't say anything about it I haven't really watched him I think he will be fine but we will see.

Vinny 09-10-2012 08:06 PM

time for Foster to start sharing recipes with Barwin I guess.

Honoring Earl 34 09-10-2012 08:10 PM

The Steelers have let a bunch of LBs walk in the last 20 years .

thunderkyss 09-10-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 2011169)
The Steelers have let a bunch of LBs walk in the last 20 years .

They also hit on a couple of UDFAs.... I think we need to get to tha point, or at least have Reed repeat his rookie year, before we go discarding decent/good players.