Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Although we won..... (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94419)

EllisUnit 09-09-2012 03:04 PM

Although we won.....

I have some major concerns.

Run Offense

Run Defense

I gotta say this is the least impressed i have been with our offense in a while, i want to see us dominate the run game like we have the past 2 seasons. This needs to be fixed.

Thorn 09-09-2012 03:07 PM

Re: Although we won.....

They beat a team there were supposed to beat by 20 points. You can't look good all four quarters. I'm OK for now, but I'm also concerned with the run defense. I'm gonna wait until after next Sunday to decide if I'm concerned with the run offense.

Cjeremy635 09-09-2012 03:09 PM

Yeah, Foster & Tate both didn't look like they should.

Trindon looked way to lost & tentative out there. I was really disappointed with him.

The D had the "bend don't break" philosophy, and they pulled us out of our slump, so I can't fault them too much.

Hopefully all of the issues can be chalked up to 1st game jitters.

Showtime100 09-09-2012 03:11 PM

I kind of lean to Ellis' take. The Texans looked ugly. We were lucky all we had to play were the Dolphins.

ATXtexanfan 09-09-2012 03:21 PM

Dolphins were in control till the turnovers.

LikeMike 09-09-2012 03:24 PM

Concerns? Yes. Major concerns? No. The oline may need some time to get comfortable playing with each other - and Foster didn't look bad.

Our running defense was suspect - Miami has a nice oline and Bush was doing a good job. With smith, JJ, Cody and Cushing I don't think this is an issue Wade can't fix.

So right now I'm happy and a little concerned... But more happy :smiliedance:

Texn4life 09-09-2012 03:25 PM

It was definitely an ugly and sloppy 20 point win if there is such a thing. Trindon's issues had to do with nerves and he needs to handle that ASAP! I said in the other thread he needs to have the same sense of urgency that he had in the preseason.

We have to keep in mind though that Miami had a very respectable defense last year. Anyone expecting us to just march the ball up and down the field on them was sadly mistaken. These guys have a lot of pride and they played hard out there today. I gained a lot of respect for that Dolphin defense.

CloakNNNdagger 09-09-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 2009957)
They beat a team there were supposed to beat by 20 points. You can't look good all four quarters. I'm OK for now, but I'm also concerned with the run defense. I'm gonna wait until after next Sunday to decide if I'm concerned with the run offense.

We beat one of biggest laughing stocks of the NFL. Our 1st Q was pathetic. Our 2nd half left me asking if we weren't looking a team that was backing into their shells to protect a lead.........a tactic you might more appropriately see against Super Bowl contenders. We as a supposed Super Bowl contender has no business even thinking of backing off the pedal against a weenie team like the Phins. Of course, unthinkably, the explanation could be that it wasn't purposeful by design...........simply that the 1st Q Texans O and D decided to make an encore appearance.

fiasco west 09-09-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 2009957)

Agreed.

Difference is great teams win games like this and the Texans did. There are not going to be many weeks where the Texans play great in all facets of the game.

TheMatrix31 09-09-2012 03:32 PM

Lots to work on, but I'm not overly concerned.

Gotta make sure the run game works well. Most important thing is blocking.

Corrosion 09-09-2012 03:37 PM

I was wondering myself about the run game .... but the Fish have a couple solid DT's.

Are they as good up front as they showed today against the Texans or were the Texans a bit off ??

Showtime100 09-09-2012 03:40 PM

The 2nd half did give me comfort. I'm glad we played that bad and still got the W. I just hope the players and coaches are aware of how lucky they are.

Next week has got to be better....a lot better.

1-0 baby! AFC South leaders!

EllisUnit 09-09-2012 03:47 PM

Another thing that dissapointed me was the lack of use of Jean and Martin. Our passing game looked great, AJ and O.D tore it up BUT i think we can be so much better with A.J, Jean and Martin on the field.

I will give Walter credit he did draw that PI call in the endzone but Jean is a good talent which we saw on his (Should of been TD reception).

CloakNNNdagger 09-09-2012 03:51 PM

It's not that we burned up the run game in any way.

Foster 26 carries for 79 yds ( 3. 4 ypc)

Tate 5 carries for 6 yds

And, the Phins' Oline is so great that they allowed us only Three total sacks if I remember correctly??

phantom17 09-09-2012 03:54 PM

I agree- lots of work to do. ST, Run O, Run D, & lame conservative play calling. Happy 2 see AJ & Matt out there, now HOPING they will be injury free! Watt=BEAST!:spin:

EllisUnit 09-09-2012 04:00 PM

Damn we had a 2.4 Yards per rush today. Damn thats bad. Even the left side of the line was getting blown up.

Happy old AJ is back though 118 yards and 1 TD :)

Honoring Earl 34 09-09-2012 04:02 PM

Miami has Mike Sherman who helped get Miami as prepared as any team is gonna be this season and lost by 20 .

The Texans were knocking the rust of some major players today .

The Texans are still breaking in an OL and Miami's run defense is no slouch .

Lurvinator11 09-09-2012 04:03 PM

I liked the Turnovers, but we do need to pick up our ****. I hope they really address it this week. We won't beat the Jags if we play like how we did to start out.

2slik4u 09-09-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2009950)
I have some major concerns.

Run Offense

Run Defense

I gotta say this is the least impressed i have been with our offense in a while, i want to see us dominate the run game like we have the past 2 seasons. This needs to be fixed.

would you say its the worst you've seen them play since last season???

You know, since its been awhile since they've played football...

Thorn 09-09-2012 04:09 PM

As to the run defense, we'll find out a whole lot next Sunday against MJD. Jacksonville took a mediocre Vikings team into overtime today.