Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The year of the QB (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94086)

Playoffs 08-25-2012 04:58 PM

The year of the QB

From what I've been seeing, I'm beginning to get the (very) early feeling that this 2012 Quarterback class has the potential to surpass what many consider the best QB class ever, the 1983 Draft:

1.(1) _Colts-->Broncos John Elway
1.(7) _Kansas City Chiefs Todd Blackledge
1.(14) Buffalo Bills Jim Kelly
1.(15) New England Patriots Tony Eason
1.(24) New York Jets Ken O'Brien
1.(27) Miami Dolphins Dan Marino

1. Indianapolis Colts Andrew Luck
1. Washington Redskins Robert Griffin III
1. Miami Dolphins Ryan Tannehill
1. Cleveland Browns Brandon Weeden
2. Denver Broncos Brock Osweiler
3. Seattle Seahawks Russell Wilson
3. Philadelphia Eagles Nick Foles
4. Washington Redskins Kirk Cousins

Outside of Brock Osweiler, who I have not yet seen, I have to say I've been pretty darned impressed with this rookie class. I can envision this 2012 group starting more games or having more meaningful starts.

Do you think it's a possibility that we are seeing the beginnings of the best QB draft class ever?

Vinny 08-25-2012 05:10 PM

Re: The year of the QB

Four of the class of 83 went to a Super bowl so that's a hell of a standard. Blackledge was a bust and O'Brien was serviceable and had a long career. Bruce Matthews, Chris Hinton and Jimbo Covert all went to Pro Bowls so that makes this a pretty good year for linemen too. It's gonna take some time to see what we have in these guys. Most of them won't start off like Marino even if they become great players later.

Ryan 08-25-2012 05:12 PM

That's a bit of a stretch. I like the bottom and the top 2 in that list, but I think Tannehill and Weeden are in for rough careers. It will be a while before we see anything outside of preseason activity for Cousins, Osweiler, and Foles. Russell Wilson is the most intriguing out of all of them.

And i'm not ready to write in stone that Luck will be a hall of famer.

Playoffs 08-25-2012 05:26 PM

Oh, and I forgot one from 1983:

8.(197) Denver Broncos Gary Kubiak :tomato::tomato:

http://www.sterling-adventures.co.uk...on_mrgreen.gif

infantrycak 08-25-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2000928)
Oh, and I forgot one from 1983:

8.(197) Denver Broncos Gary Kubiak :tomato::tomato:

http://www.sterling-adventures.co.uk...on_mrgreen.gif

He has more SB rings than the rest of the '83 class combined.

CloakNNNdagger 08-25-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2000913)
From what I've been seeing, I'm beginning to get the (very) early feeling that this 2012 Quarterback class has the potential to surpass what many consider the best QB class ever, the 1983 Draft:

1.(1) _Colts-->Broncos John Elway
1.(7) _Kansas City Chiefs Todd Blackledge
1.(14) Buffalo Bills Jim Kelly
1.(15) New England Patriots Tony Eason
1.(24) New York Jets Ken O'Brien
1.(27) Miami Dolphins Dan Marino

1. Indianapolis Colts Andrew Luck
1. Washington Redskins Robert Griffin III
1. Miami Dolphins Ryan Tannehill
1. Cleveland Browns Brandon Weeden
2. Denver Broncos Brock Osweiler
3. Seattle Seahawks Russell Wilson
3. Philadelphia Eagles Nick Foles
4. Washington Redskins Kirk Cousins

Outside of Brock Osweiler, who I have not yet seen, I have to say I've been pretty darned impressed with this rookie class. I can envision this 2012 group starting more games or having more meaningful starts.

Do you think it's a possibility that we are seeing the beginnings of the best QB draft class ever?

Today Luck has had an occasional flash. But, he is definitely showing lots of rookie mistakes.......delay of game, several questionable decisions on throws
and backing up into a safety. And it seems that he will be getting no help this year from the Colts running game.........which appears to be nonexistent.

utahmark 08-25-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 2000940)
Today Luck has had an occasional flash. But, he is definitely showing lots of rookie mistakes.......delay of game, several questionable decisions on throws
and backing up into a safety. And it seems that he will be getting no help this year from the Colts running game.........which appears to be nonexistent.

Unless the box score is wrong that was Harnish and not Luck that got the safety.

CloakNNNdagger 08-25-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utahmark (Post 2000949)
Unless the box score is wrong that was Harnish and not Luck that got the safety.

You're correct, it happened right after their switch which I didn't catch.

Playoffs 08-26-2012 11:27 PM

5 named starters out of this 2012 draft class.

Brandon420tx 08-27-2012 10:49 AM

Won't be long till Vick gets injured and Foles starts for Philly

drs23 08-27-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon420tx (Post 2002292)
Won't be long till Vick gets injured and Foles starts for Philly

And I've been very impressed with this guy. I think he may even be an upgrade. He looked pretty damn sharp to me.

AndreJohnson's 08-29-2012 10:41 AM

I think the rookies from last year have better shots than these guys. Cam Newton is gonna do well this year and what about that Andy Dalton guy. I think he's gonna go places; only if he gets out of cincinati.

TheIronDuke 08-29-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreJohnson's (Post 2003519)
I think the rookies from last year have better shots than these guys. Cam Newton is gonna do well this year and what about that Andy Dalton guy. I think he's gonna go places; only if he gets out of cincinati.

Yeah because he only got them to the playoffs last year with a team that was supposed to be terrible in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL.

AndreJohnson's 09-01-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2003530)
Yeah because he only got them to the playoffs last year with a team that was supposed to be terrible in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL.

That was a fluke though. That team is TERRIBLE and I predict they go 5-11 this year. He needs to leave dodge fast.

Hooston Texan 09-01-2012 09:22 AM

Let us not forget the QB class of 2004. In terms of Super Bowl victories, they've already lapped the fabled Class of 1983.

Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Schaub
JP Losman
Luke McCown

Playoffs 09-03-2012 08:54 PM

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
5 rookie QB starters most in NFL since at least 1950, according to league. 3 in 68 3 in 69 was record.

Playoffs 11-17-2012 12:39 PM

Nick Foles will be the sixth rookie quarterback to make his NFL starting debut this season. Foles looks like a good one, to me.

Of the seven quarterbacks selected in the first three rounds, five have already started every game for their respective teams. Four have already thrown for 300 yards more than once. Three have scored at least three touchdowns in one game.

No. 1 overall pick Andrew Luck has the Indianapolis Colts at 6-3 and among the early leaders for an AFC wild-card berth. Third-round pick Russell Wilson has Seattle at 6-4 and in contention for the NFC West title.

Texecutioner 11-17-2012 01:21 PM

3 QB's went to the HOF in that class. Between Kelly and Elway alone they both went to 9 SB's.

THis comparison is stupid as hell. Luck and RG3 are the only potential guys that have HOF potential in this class at all.

This class is great because of two guys, but it isn't close to that class of 83.

76Texan 11-17-2012 03:32 PM

Hey, Todd B. got to Canton before any of those guys did. He was born there.