Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton .. (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93815)

Hookem Horns 08-14-2012 01:59 PM

Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

It would have been inconceivable early in Eli Manningís career that anyone would suggest he was a better quarterback than his older brother. But now that Eli has won his second Super Bowl MVP award, he acknowledges that people sometimes tell him heís better than Peyton.

ďI correct them very quickly,Ē Eli told Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports.

In a wide-ranging interview with Cole, Eli talks about the sibling rivalry that he has never allowed to be a rivalry at all, saying that he has never considered himself better than Peyton and never been motivated by a desire to outdo the brother who was a high school star before him, a college star before him, a No. 1 draft pick before him, a Pro Bowler before him and a Super Bowl MVP before him.

ďIíve never tried to compete with Peyton,Ē Eli said. ďI never tried to say I need to be better than him. Iíve accepted at times that I wasnít maybe as good as him because he was the No. 1 high school player in the country. In college, he was going to be the first pick in the draft, so if I tried to go out there and be the same person and be better than him or the same person as him, Iím going to drive myself crazy. Iím going to go out and be the best quarterback I can be and get the most out of my potential. If thatís better than him, great. If itís not, so be it.Ē
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d8cC4?u...m_campaign=nfl

How can you not like this guy? Mechanically Peyton is the better QB. Peyton is a machine on Sundays. However Peyton tends to get emotional and if there is a flaw in his game it would be that. Eli doesn't and that is probably why he is more clutch and just a winner. He is also doing it in NYC where the media pressure is off the charts. Come playoff time I am taking Eli over Peyton every time.

HOU-TEX 08-14-2012 02:06 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
If I remember correctly, they've both stated at one time or another that Cooper was the better athlete of the bunch before being diagnosed with the spine problem. I think he was a top-rated recruit as a WR.

Like I said in another thread, I think Peyton's a good guy. I'd extend that to the rest of the Manning family too. A well raised bunch. Eli always seems to have that 'awe gee whiz' look on his face though. Ha

eriadoc 08-14-2012 02:08 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
For all the stats, awards, and accolades, Peyton Manning still suffers in the big game. It's a team game, but very few QBs before him ever had the entire team built around him and for him the way that Peyton Manning has. Yet for all that, he won a single Super Bowl during a period when he was flat out the most prolific QB in the game.

Eli, on the other hand, does not have the stats, the awards, or the accolades, but he has his ego in check enough to allow a winning team to be built around him, and he has the perfect balance of humility and self assurance to thrive in a place like New York. When the stage is brightest, he steps up. Ultimately, that is what you want in your QB, IMO. "Stats are for losers" is a cliche, but like all cliches, it's rooted in reality.

Hookem Horns 08-14-2012 02:17 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 1994789)
Ultimately, that is what you want in your QB, IMO. "Stats are for losers" is a cliche, but like all cliches, it's rooted in reality.

Agreed. I threw that out there when my nephew was trying to convince me that Romo is better than Eli based on stats.

IlliniJen 08-14-2012 02:27 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem Horns (Post 1994796)
Agreed. I threw that out there when my nephew was trying to convince me that Romo is better than Eli based on stats.

You should be concerned that your nephew may have a drug problem if he thinks Romo is better than Eli.

Double Barrel 08-14-2012 02:55 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Both Mannings are badass QBs and I consider both to be elite and destined for the HoF.

If I had to choose just one, though, knowing what I know, I'd pick Eli. Dude is clutch, and with two rings and two SB MVPs, he's not a fluke.

hobie 08-14-2012 03:40 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
And that is why I also love to tell folks who think Eli is overrated to STHU... He is a winner..plain and simple. Does he have numbers, no, not really..Sure, he looks kindda goofy, so what..and that's what a lot of Dallas fans I know think of him, so he is goofy looking, as long as he doesn't lose the Giants a game in the 4th qtr., I could not care less how goofy he looks...he just wins!

And for all Dallas fan, sure Romo has the stats..won't argue that he isn't a good QB, he is, but clutch, he's about as clutch as the Rockets mascot !!

Dutchrudder 08-14-2012 03:41 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IlliniJen (Post 1994798)
You should be concerned that your nephew may have a drug problem if he thinks Romo is better than Eli.

I really don't think they are that far apart. Romo gets a bad rap, but his O-line has been terrible his whole career, and he really hasn't ever had a consistent run game. Statistically, Romo is a 96.9 passer rating over his career, Eli is only an 82.1. Romo has a much better TD/INT ratio too. I think they are both second tier QBs in the league, and are very close in regard to talent.

Put Romo or Eli on the Texans this year instead of Schaub and we would instantly be Super Bowl favorites.

infantrycak 08-14-2012 03:56 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 1994810)
Dude is clutch, and with two rings and two SB MVPs, he's not a fluke.

OK maybe this is only terminology but yeah he is kind of a fluke and in saying that I really am not trying to put him down.

But c'mon the signature moment of his first "MVP" performance was a badly thrown pass miraculously caught by a WR who would be deemed not good enough to make the team the next year. That's a fluke.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 1994838)
I really don't think they are that far apart. Romo gets a bad rap, but his O-line has been terrible his whole career, and he really hasn't ever had a consistent run game. Statistically, Romo is a 96.9 passer rating over his career, Eli is only an 82.1. Romo has a much better TD/INT ratio too. I think they are both second tier QBs in the league, and are very close in regard to talent.

Put Romo or Eli on the Texans this year instead of Schaub and we would instantly be Super Bowl favorites.

I was there with you until you threw Schaub and his 92.2 QB rating under the bus.

Dutchrudder 08-14-2012 04:02 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 1994851)
OK maybe this is only terminology but yeah he is kind of a fluke and in saying that I really am not trying to put him down.

But c'mon the signature moment of his first "MVP" performance was a badly thrown pass miraculously caught by a WR who would be deemed not good enough to make the team the next year. That's a fluke.



I was there with you until you threw Schaub and his 92.2 QB rating under the bus.

It's not his ability I'm worried about, it's his body. I just don't trust him to make it through 19 games. Eli hasn't missed a game as far as I know, and Romo missed his first start two years ago with the shoulder injury. Both have much much much better track records.

Hookem Horns 08-14-2012 04:09 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 1994838)
Statistically, Romo is a 96.9 passer rating over his career, Eli is only an 82.1. Romo has a much better TD/INT ratio too. I think they are both second tier QBs in the league, and are very close in regard to talent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 1994789)
"Stats are for losers" is a cliche, but like all cliches, it's rooted in reality.

Not directed at you Dutch .. however it's all about winning and losing and that is the only stat that matters. Romo is a choke artist and this team (Texans) would not be better off with Romo. I take a healthy Schaub any day ... and I am not a huge fan of Schaub.

infantrycak 08-14-2012 04:13 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 1994854)
It's not his ability I'm worried about, it's his body. I just don't trust him to make it through 19 games. Eli hasn't missed a game as far as I know, and Romo missed his first start two years ago with the shoulder injury. Both have much much much better track records.

OK - from that perspective I understand. Injuries are so fluky I tend to put them aside.

Dutchrudder 08-14-2012 04:50 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem Horns (Post 1994858)
Not directed at you Dutch .. however it's all about winning and losing and that is the only stat that matters. Romo is a choke artist and this team (Texans) would not be better off with Romo. I take a healthy Schaub any day ... and I am not a huge fan of Schaub.

I'll take Peyton over Eli any day, regardless of their stats. There is a massive difference between the two of them when it comes to playing QB. A great coach will do well with either of them though.

I'd take Romo over Schaub as well. I'm not saying there is a huge gap between the two, but Romo has just as much to his resume as Schaub does, with fewer injuries. He doesn't have the help of an Arian Foster on his team and his O-line is significantly worse. He finally gets a quality LT on the team this year, and then he posts a personal best 102 passer rating. Coincidence? Maybe...

Anyways, I think Romo is better than he is perceived to be around here. Partly because he's the QB of our rival, and partly because people just don't like him.

Texecutioner 08-14-2012 05:05 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
People saying they'd take Eli over Peydon?? Lol!! Talk about being complete prisoners of the moment. Eli isn't even close.


ANd I'm normally the guy that will argue against Peydon when people are trying to act like he is the best around, but Eli has never been an elite player in this league ever. Maybe he can change that notion going forward, but no one was suggesting that he was elite before the playoffs started last season. Hell, the season before last he threw over 20 INT's. Very good QB, but to suggest that he is better than Peydon all of a sudden doesn't even really warrant an argument as far as I'm concerned.

eriadoc 08-14-2012 05:05 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 1994872)
Anyways, I think Romo is better than he is perceived to be around here. Partly because he's the QB of our rival, and partly because people just don't like him.

And partly because when the spotlight is brightest, he chokes.

Texecutioner 08-14-2012 05:07 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 1994878)
And partly because when the spotlight is brightest, he chokes.

If you say that about Romo, than you could just as equally say that about Schaub.

And I don't think that either one is a choker.

Scooter 08-14-2012 05:07 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 1994872)
I'd take Romo over Schaub as well. I'm not saying there is a huge gap between the two, but Romo has just as much to his resume as Schaub does, with fewer injuries. He doesn't have the help of an Arian Foster on his team and his O-line is significantly worse. He finally gets a quality LT on the team this year, and then he posts a personal best 102 passer rating. Coincidence? Maybe...

Anyways, I think Romo is better than he is perceived to be around here. Partly because he's the QB of our rival, and partly because people just don't like him.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...er/BannHim.jpg

:kitten:

Hookem Horns 08-14-2012 05:09 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 1994878)
And partly because when the spotlight is brightest, he chokes.

Warren Moon anyone? HOF, stats out the wazzoo, however what did it amount too? Nothing.

P.S. Looking at my sig, has TJ Yates caught up to Moon yet in the playoff win category?

eriadoc 08-14-2012 10:04 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 1994879)
If you say that about Romo, than you could just as equally say that about Schaub.

And I don't think that either one is a choker.

Romo has done more to choke away important games for the Cowboys than Schaub has for the Texans. There's a difference between the team not getting the job done and a player individually choking away opportunities that hurt the team. The fumbled snap in the Cowboys playoff loss is just one example. Even Warren Moon, who didn't win anything of note, didn't exactly choke away 35-3 or the following year vs. KC - the defense didn't hold up. You can argue that Moon didn't do enough, but he didn't go out and throw the game losing INT, like Romo has done. Schaub has a few chokes, a few clutch victories, and zero important games, so it doesn't matter. Romo has played on the big stage, and not well. Peyton has played on the big stage repeatedly, dating all the way back to college. And he hasn't done particularly well short of the one SB win. Eli has played on the big stage a couple times and he's been nails.

I have no dog in this hunt, TBH. Eli is not my guy, and I don't care one way or another about him. But Peyton Manning is the football equivalent of the Atlanta Braves.

Hookem Horns 08-14-2012 10:28 PM

Re: Eli Manning: Iím not better than Peyton ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 1994987)
But Peyton Manning is the football equivalent of the Atlanta Braves.

That's actually an excellent analogy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger