Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Plaxico Burress Rumored to be Considered by Texans? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92848)

CloakNNNdagger 06-26-2012 08:08 PM

Plaxico Burress Rumored to be Considered by Texans?

Could this be our vet? Had a restful couple of years in jail and still showed something last year with a pretty pitiful QB. I'm sure McNair would insist that his contract reads, "I promise not to carry a firearm, especially into a bar. But if I do, I promise to wear a bulletproof cup to protect my performance-based testosterone."
Quote:

NFL Rumors: Will Plaxico Burress End Up With The Houston Texans?

One of the NFL rumors that surfaced Tuesday was that the Houston Texans are interested in Plaxico Burress. The wide receiver needs a job, and the Texans need another wideout.

Burress spent last year with the New York Jets after sitting out of the NFL all together for the 2009-10 seasons due to a two-year prison sentence he received in September 2009 after pleading guilty to one count of attempted criminal possession of a weapon.

The former Super Bowl XLII hero and then-New York Giants teammate Antonio Pierce were at the LQ nightclub in Manhattan late November 2008 when the gun Burress was carrying in his waistband accidentally went off and shot him in the thigh. Pierce drove Burress to the hospital where the incident was not reported to police and two days later Burress turned himself in on charges of criminal possession of a handgun. The handgun was not licensed in New Jersey (where he lived) or New York and his license to carry a concealed weapon in the state of Florida had expired in May of that year. The Giants released Burress in April 2009.

One month following his release from prison in June 2011, Burress said during an interview on the NFL Network:

“When you say Houston, all I can say is ‘Wow,’ ” Burress said. “That’s all I can say, because I give respect where respect is due. And I believe Andre Johnson is the best wide receiver in football. … The way he’s playing down in Houston, they’re getting everything going in the right direction. Matt Schaub has really taken off as an elite quarterback. I think Arian Foster is one of the top-five running backs in this league. I think that team is bound for the playoffs this year and looking forward to great things.”

Currently the Houston Texans have two wide receivers that have caught an NFL pass – Johnson and Kevin Walter. They brought in veteran Mike Sims-Walker for a three-day tryout during mini-camp earlier this month but Sims-Walker did not sign with Houston and is still a free agent.

Burress comes with age (he turns 35 in August) and baggage, but he also has an upside. The Jets finished the 2011 season averaging 206 yards passing per game while Mark Sanchez had a completion percentage of 56.7% and a 78.2 QB rating. Yet Burress had 45 catches for 612 yards and eight touchdowns.

The 6’5” Burress adds a big target and NFL experience to the defending AFC South Champions. With Johnson coming off of arthroscopic knee surgery in May and a very young and inexperienced receiving corps behind him, the upside might be too much for the Texans to pass up.

SheTexan 06-26-2012 08:16 PM

Re: Plaxico Burress Rumored to be Considered by Texans?

Well, probably just another media speculation, BUT, if fans can forgive Michael, the dog killer, VICK, then why not Plaxico? If he still has what it takes to get the job done, then bring him on, at least for a tryout. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! JMO!:bubbles:

b0ng 06-26-2012 08:25 PM

Never heard of rantsports. Doesn't seem like a Smithiak move.

ThaShark316 06-26-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheTexan (Post 1973059)
Well, probably just another media speculation, BUT, if fans can forgive Michael, the dog killer, VICK, then why not Plaxico? If he still has what it takes to get the job done, then bring him on, at least for a tryout. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! JMO!:bubbles:

What did Plax do beside shoot HIMSELF? Nothing for anyone to forgive.

SheTexan 06-26-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaShark316 (Post 1973065)

Very true, BUT, he has been labeled as a trouble maker. Fans are fickle!

ckhouston 06-26-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Exactly, his only crime was stupidity.

ArlingtonTexan 06-26-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

He has had domestic disturbance issues and acting like jackass when partying issues throughout his career. that article reads like a dude (well chick) speculating randomly versus a "connected" rumor, but who really knows.

GP 06-26-2012 08:51 PM

I have no opinion. Don't see it happening, though.

badboy 06-26-2012 08:56 PM

I'd be open to it with a "team" contract.

TexansBull 06-26-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhouston (Post 1973078)

And there are a lot of offenders of that crime.

Dutchrudder 06-26-2012 09:16 PM

I have wanted him for a vet minimum deal since before free agency started. He warrants coverage across from AJ, and that's really all we need. He would help open up the run game and provide a big target for the QB. I believe he would be a great #3 or 4 WR that could help this team. Give him a chance and drop Dwight Jones off the roster if needed. He has been waiting long enough, I'm sure he will be cheap now.

ckhouston 06-26-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansBull (Post 1973094)
And there are a lot of offenders of that crime.

Alas, tis true ... the majority of which have no inkling they belong to the criminal element.

TEXANRED 06-26-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhouston (Post 1973078)

The real crime is he shot himself in New York City. Had he done that here he would have been called a dumbass and Kubiak would have said something like "Gosh that kid has some maturin to do."

Plaxico? Hell yes. Bring him in.

Texan_Bill 06-26-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheTexan (Post 1973059)

Gma... BTW, I miss you darlin' through this brutal offseason (missing ALL my beloveds from Blue Crew and/or "the Bull Pen").... EFF it, give it a shot,NO???

Texanmike02 06-26-2012 09:22 PM

AJ, AF, OD and PB in the red zone? Scary.

Mike

silvrhand 06-26-2012 09:28 PM

I'd be up for this, he's had his issues but what kids don't when you give them millions of dollars, I'd had been in the titty bar 24x7 right with Bill.

gtexan02 06-26-2012 09:38 PM

Td machine

Texn4life 06-26-2012 09:39 PM

He seems to be really confident and motivated listening to a couple of his interviews last week. I don't see it happening based on our team's MO, but I wouldn't be upset about it. He provides a legit red zone threat and should be a lot better than he was last year with a full year to train and get his legs under him.

mussop 06-26-2012 09:52 PM

Would be a great pickup simply because it would give Shaub another big target. He is basically Kevin Walter squared. Would really make a difference in the red zone. Shouldn't cost much either. Really a no loose situation.

Nawzer 06-26-2012 10:01 PM

This is one of the few times I actually think bringing in a veteran receiver can help. He certainly has the physical abilities and would be good compliment to AJ.