Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Jaguars 1st pick Justin Blackmon arrested Sunday for aggravated DUI (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92467)

Vinny 06-03-2012 11:45 AM

Jaguars 1st pick Justin Blackmon arrested Sunday for aggravated DUI

Go Jags! nice pick.
Quote:

Things are not starting well in the relationship between the Jacksonville Jaguars and first-round pick Justin Blackmon. The former Oklahoma State standout receiver, who the Jags traded up to select with the fifth overall pick, was arrested early Sunday morning on a charge of aggravated DUI in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

The arrest, first reported by Kelly Hines of the Tulsa World, was for a specific charge tied to a blood alcohol level of .15 or more. He was booked into jail at approximately 10:00 a.m. CT.

This is not Blackmon's first issue of this type. In October of 2010, he was arrested in Carrollton, Texas, at 3:45 a.m. on a DUI complaint while driving to a Dallas Cowboys game. According to police radar, he was driving 92 miles per hour in a 60 mph zone when the cops caught up to him. He was on his way to game without permission to leave the team per head coach Mike Gundy, who suspended him for one game.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

drewmar74 06-03-2012 11:48 AM

Re: Jaguars 1st pick Justin Blackmon arrested Sunday for aggravated DUI

Ouch! Will the NFL's conduct policy count the first one against him when assessing the situation or just this one?

Ryan 06-03-2012 11:49 AM

Justin Blackmon arrested for aggravated DUI

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/80...n-arrested-dui

Quote:

The 22-year-old Blackmon was booked into the Payne County Jail at 10 a.m. CT, the newspaper reported. Under Oklahoma law, a driver's blood alcohol level must be .15 or higher to be charged with aggravated DUI.
He also said he'd probably see more balls in prison than if Blaine Gabbert were throwing to him. :kitten:

drs23 06-03-2012 11:52 AM

Go Jags!

Lucky 06-03-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewmar74 (Post 1963901)
Ouch! Will the NFL's conduct policy count the first one against him when assessing the situation or just this one?

No, Blackmon will just get a 4 game suspension for this one. So the Texans will likely not see him when they travel to Jacksonville in Week 2.

Vinny 06-03-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 1963906)
No, Blackmon will just get a 4 game suspension for this one. So the Texans will likely not see him when they travel to Jacksonville in Week 2.

too bad he won't be there to see Gabbert chunk balls into the turf and sack himself.

dc_txtech 06-03-2012 12:06 PM

Wasted at 10 am on a Sunday. Ok, I've been there but at least I had the wherewithal not to drive. :lol:

ChampionTexan 06-03-2012 12:09 PM

C'mon, cut him some slack - he's just trying to live up to the legacy of other first round Jaguar WR's Reggie Williams and Matt Jones. And he's off to a nice start.

brakos82 06-03-2012 12:18 PM

I'd be drinking at 10am too if I was a Jaguar...

Playoffs 06-03-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 1963900)
He was booked into jail at approximately 10:00 a.m. CT.

Blowing a .15 at 10 in the morning ..... priceless.

http://www.iconhot.com/icon/png/kach...stercard-1.png -- When you absolutely, positively need to get over-served.

http://kotv.images.worldnow.com/images/18686781_BG1.jpg

IDEXAN 06-03-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 1963906)

That's worth something to us !

Dutchrudder 06-03-2012 12:31 PM

I wonder how many times he was let go while still playing for OKST. 10 am would suggest that this isn't anywhere close to the first time it has happened.

SheTexan 06-03-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brakos82 (Post 1963915)
I'd be drinking at 10am too if I was a Jaguar...

My thoughts exactly, and I don't drink! Poor boy has probably been drinking nonstop since draft day! :shots::drunk:

CloakNNNdagger 06-03-2012 01:14 PM

In his 2010 arrest, Blackmon was arrested at 3:45 a.m. after officers used radar to determine he was driving 92 mph in a 60 mph zone along Interstate 35 in Carrollton. No BAC was reported. In Texas, I don't believe aggravated DUI is defined by a high BAC, only 3rd or more DUI. BTW, he was coming back from a Cowboys game.:wadepalm:

Wolf 06-03-2012 01:23 PM

I was looking at the Jags board.

While this is a serious issue

I couldn't help but :spit:

Quote:

Silver lining: Nobody is talking about your third round pick right now. :P
http://forum.jaguars.com/index.php?s...c=702603&st=25

CloakNNNdagger 06-03-2012 01:23 PM

Repeat after me 100 times.........."I am a "dumbass"........"I am a dumbass"........"I am a dumbass"...........

Quote:

Blackmon’s arrest could impact the guarantees in his contract

It would have been worse for receiver Justin Blackmon to be arrested for aggravated DUI before the draft. It would have been better for it to happen after he signed his rookie contract.

It would have been best, of course, for it to never happen at all.

But happen it did, and now the question becomes whether it will have an impact on Blackmon’s contract negotiations. As the fifth overall pick in the draft, Blackmon previously was in line for a fully-guaranteed four-year deal, with a value falling south of Matt Kalil at No. 4 and north of Morris Claiborne at No. 6.

In theory, the Jags could decide to stand firm on the requisite one-year tender offer for the rookie minimum of $390,000, offering nothing more until Blackmon proves himself, on and off the field. That approach, however, inevitably would prompt Blackmon to hold out for the entire season and re-enter the draft in 2013.

The problem for both sides is that there’s not much the Jaguars can do to set the stage for the recovery of money, if Blackmon has additional issues in the future. The CBA provides for a partial forfeiture of a player’s signing bonus, if he is suspended for violating the substance-abuse policy (which covers DUI convictions). But the days of recovering large chunks of money in the event of an isolated act of misbehavior are long gone.

Given that the extent to which a rookie contract is guaranteed represents the only real item for negotiation in the fully-slotted first-round deals, it could be that the Jaguars insist on language that would extinguish any remaining salary guarantees, in the event that (for example) Blackmon has any future arrests or other violations of the substance-abuse policy. Article 4, Section 9(g) of the CBA expressly permits teams and players to “negotiate the circumstances under which the guarantee of any unearned Salary . . . may be voided.”

So while the top 16 players now each receive fully-guaranteed four-year deals, Blackmon may have to agree to language that permits future guarantees to go away, which in turn would give the Jaguars flexibility if they decide to move on from Blackmon before he finishes four full NFL seasons with the team.

Still, apart from recovering money already paid or erasing the guaranteed nature of money to be paid in the future, the Jaguars have a much greater interest in nurturing Blackmon into a great player and an even better citizen, especially since they moved up in round one to get him. They need to make their next decisions regarding Blackmon with that important overriding objective in mind.

Texn4life 06-03-2012 02:02 PM

I can't even find myself to laugh at this right now. It's pretty clear he has an issue with alcohol. Even as a Texans fan I want to see him get his life together because he seems to be a good kid making poor errors in judgement.

Playoffs 06-03-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 1963938)
Blackmon’s arrest could impact the guarantees in his contract...

More lawyering from Florio. http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/ba...t-rolleyes.gif

Blackmon is going to need to give up drinking completely for a year or more. If he's unable to do that ... trouble.

gg no re 06-03-2012 02:21 PM

impromptu poll: who would field punts better - jacoby, or an inebriated blackmon?

GP 06-03-2012 02:55 PM

jag·uar (jgwär, jgy-är) n.

A large wide receiver who is taken in the first round and ends up coking or drinking himself into oblivion. Hesitant to stay active in the NFL, jaguars are still remarkably selected every year by Jacksonville. Their numbers remain large due to inability of Jacksonville to understand their patterned behavior.