Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Holliday Back From Holliday? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91745)

CloakNNNdagger 04-29-2012 09:45 AM

Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
He was taken from the PS and made active the beginning of October last year. Then he was waived later in that month. I was surprised to find that all of the major web sites (including HT.com and one of the most reliable to be up-to-date.......OurLads) have him on the 2012 Houston Texans active roster.

I looked into this and found out that on Jan 18, he and Iglesias were signed as "reserve/futures contracts."

First time I've come across these contract terms.

Lucky 04-29-2012 09:49 AM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 1947308)
I looked into this and found out that on Jan 18, he and Iglesias were signed as "reserve/futures contracts."

First time I've come across these contract terms.

Basically a one year, minimum contract. I guess Coach Joe wants to see Trindon one more time?

CloakNNNdagger 04-29-2012 09:52 AM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 1947309)
Basically a one year, minimum contract. I guess Coach Joe wants to see Trindon one more time?

Thanks.

Coach Joe must really think there is potential in him that is just ready to burst out.

CloakNNNdagger 04-29-2012 10:05 AM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
DL Sunny Harris, LB Derrell Smith, C Cody Wallace, and DB Torri Williams were signed to this same contract also at the same time.

Lucky is right. Found a more detailed explanation of this contract status (web site wouldn't allow cut and paste)......http://www.steeleraddicts.com/2012/0.../#.T51V8lJ62So

and a complementary piece:

Quote:

NFL teams are now signing dozens of players to "reserve/future" contracts to round out their 2012 rosters. These deals -- the vast majority of them without signing bonuses and for minimum salaries -- do not technically activate until the 2012 League Year, set to begin on March 13. Thus, the players will be in a reserve category until that time.

Many of these reserve/future signings are players that were on practice squads for the 2011 season and will sign with the team for which they were on the practice squad. Some, though, will jump to another team for a perceived better opportunity.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...the-money.html

TimeKiller 04-29-2012 10:09 AM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
People just don't go as fast as he does. If he ever develops some vision returning kicks he could explode. Probably isn't costing them much to keep him available.

NastyNate 04-29-2012 10:11 AM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
What's the o/u on Trindon Holliday signings this year? I'd set the mark around 3.5.

rmartin65 04-29-2012 10:39 AM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
I still think the kid is a weapon. Hopefully he has worked on his game (running routes, receiving) enough to make the big roster. I would love to see him hit the field for 5 or so plays a game to stretch the field and maybe hit a homerun.

Send the kid deep, use him on screens. All you have to do is make the D fear his speed and the field opens up a bit.

Rey 04-29-2012 11:08 AM

I hope he can make the club. He adds a completely different dimension to the team. I wanted us to grab Rainey from Florida but if trindon can get his stuff together he can bring a similar element to the team.

Big Lou 04-29-2012 11:33 AM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
I just want to see him take one to the house, and see if they play Holiday by Madonna at Reliant........

ObsiWan 04-29-2012 12:09 PM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmartin65 (Post 1947362)
I still think the kid is a weapon. Hopefully he has worked on his game (running routes, receiving) enough to make the big roster. I would love to see him hit the field for 5 or so plays a game to stretch the field and maybe hit a homerun.

Send the kid deep, use him on screens. All you have to do is make the D fear his speed and the field opens up a bit.

The very thing you like about him, makes me leery; his speed.

Because of his speed, he's never really developed any other skills. As you pointed out, as a returner, he has no real vision, no escapability moves, no shiftiness - he has to beat everyone to the corner or he's toast.

I'm a little leary of track guys who got to play football because of principally because of their speed. Aren't we trying to unload one of those guys?

one more thing... at his size, one good jam or lick and he's off his feet. No more downfield threat.

panamamyers 04-29-2012 12:39 PM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
Comparing Trindon Holliday to Jacoby Jones is like comparing Deion Sanders to Terrence Newman.
One of them is really fast, the other might be the fastest guy in the league.

Jacoby ran a 10.28 100m as a pr. Holliday ran a 10.02 pr. Huge difference between the two. That type of difference is the difference between a guy that can just accept a kickoff and run really fast and beat everyone to the corner and the guy that runs really fast and doesn't quite turn the corner.

Returning kickoffs is the one job in the league where you can get by on maybe 5% football skill and 95% speed.
Punt returning, you need vision and quicks and etc. Kickoff returns....Michael Bates was the greatest kickoff returner of the 90's and all he ever did was take the ball and run as fast as he could around the corner.

Thorn 04-29-2012 12:44 PM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
This guy has terrific potential. But that's the key word, potential. If he can take advantage of it, he can be a missile returning kicks.

If if and if though. Iíd like to see it happen, but I ainít holding my breath.

ObsiWan 04-29-2012 12:53 PM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by panamamyers (Post 1947437)
Comparing Trindon Holliday to Jacoby Jones is like comparing Deion Sanders to Terrence Newman.
One of them is really fast, the other might be the fastest guy in the league.

Jacoby ran a 10.28 100m as a pr. Holliday ran a 10.02 pr. Huge difference between the two. That type of difference is the difference between a guy that can just accept a kickoff and run really fast and beat everyone to the corner and the guy that runs really fast and doesn't quite turn the corner.

Returning kickoffs is the one job in the league where you can get by on maybe 5% football skill and 95% speed.
Punt returning, you need vision and quicks and etc. Kickoff returns....Michael Bates was the greatest kickoff returner of the 90's and all he ever did was take the ball and run as fast as he could around the corner.

This ain't the 90s. Now days kickoffs are from the 35 and most kickers consistently bang their kicks into the back of the endzone (or in the endzone seats). He'll just be catching touchbacks.
So is it really worth a roster spot to keep a guy who can't do anything else? Our current KO return man, D. Manning, is a stud returner and a helluva safety.

What else can Holliday do?

Do you really want him as our 3rd RB? Or taking up a WR spot??

CloakNNNdagger 04-29-2012 01:04 PM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 1947448)
This ain't the 90s. Now days kickoffs are from the 35 and most kickers consistently bang their kicks into the back of the endzone (or in the endzone seats). He'll just be catching touchbacks.
So is it really worth a roster spot to keep a guy who can't do anything else? Our current KO return man, D. Manning, is a stud returner and a helluva safety.

What else can Holliday do?

Do you really want him as our 3rd RB? Or taking up a WR spot??

Do you really want to hold your breath every kickoff, not only waiting for our helluva safety to break a run, but maybe to break a leg? I would at least rather see a 2nd or 3rd depth position player have that role

Thorn 04-29-2012 01:08 PM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 1947459)
Do you really want to hold your breath every kickoff, not only waiting for our helluva safety to break a run, but maybe to break a leg? I would at least rather see a 2nd or 3rd depth position player have that role

I'd rather have someone else other than Manning returning kicks as well. If something happings to Manning, we are not as good on defense.

Errant Hothy 04-29-2012 01:15 PM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 1947461)
I'd rather have someone else other than Manning returning kicks as well. If something happings to Manning, we are not as good on defense.

On the flip side of that it's going to cost you a roster spot on gameday, which can lead to other problems.

Holliday is either going to have to became the next Dante Hall as a returner or be able to contribute in another facet of the game besides return kicks and punts. Failing that he will not make the roster.

Really hoping Martin can do both, return kicks and be more than a non-entitiy within the receiving corps.

Rey 04-29-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 1947448)
This ain't the 90s. Now days kickoffs are from the 35 and most kickers consistently bang their kicks into the back of the endzone (or in the endzone seats). He'll just be catching touchbacks.
So is it really worth a roster spot to keep a guy who can't do anything else? Our current KO return man, D. Manning, is a stud returner and a helluva safety.

What else can Holliday do?

Do you really want him as our 3rd RB? Or taking up a WR spot??

I think that the overall value of the kick returner has diminished, but I think if you have one that can take it to the house then they are worth it. Plus, opportunities on punt returns haven't changed. I love manning as a kick returner but he doesn't need to do that full time. Doesn't need to keep exposing himself to injury like that. He's getting older and his safety skills are much more valuable.

And I actually like what little I saw out of trindon at wr last pre season. He's always going to have limitations but he has what a lot of other players don't. Tremendous speed.

The only way trindon makes the team is if he's beasting on special teams though.

ObsiWan 04-29-2012 01:37 PM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 1947459)
Do you really want to hold your breath every kickoff, not only waiting for our helluva safety to break a run, but maybe to break a leg? I would at least rather see a 2nd or 3rd depth position player have that role

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 1947461)
I'd rather have someone else other than Manning returning kicks as well. If something happings to Manning, we are not as good on defense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 1947468)
I think that the overall value of the kick returner has diminished, but I think if you have one that can take it to the house then they are worth it. Plus, opportunities on punt returns haven't changed. I love manning as a kick returner but he doesn't need to do that full time. Doesn't need to keep exposing himself to injury like that. He's getting older and his safety skills are much more valuable.

And I actually like what little I saw out of trindon at wr last pre season. He's always going to have limitations but he has what a lot of other players don't. Tremendous speed.

The only way trindon makes the team is if he's beasting on special teams though.

First, how many of our kick returners have ever gotten hurt returning kicks? And muscle tears/strains don't count - that could happen running fly patterns (see Andre Johnson - twice). I only recall Jerome Mathis (or was in Moses) who kept getting nicked up constantly.

Second, Manning got hurt while picking off Matt Hasselbeck during the first Tenn. game. So injuries can happen any time at any spot. All the more reason not to spend a roster spot on a one-trick pony.

I ain't saying cut him outright. Hoth-Boy gets what I'm saying he's got to be able to do more than just be a KR. And even Dante Hall played a decent WR. Not to mention Holliday has never shown anything close to the "Human Joystick" in terms of moves.

Rey 04-29-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 1947477)
First, how many of our kick returners have ever gotten hurt returning kicks? And muscle tears/strains don't count - that could happen running fly patterns (see Andre Johnson - twice). I only recall Jerome Mathis (or was in Moses) who kept getting nicked up constantly.

Second, Manning got hurt while picking off Matt Hasselbeck during the first Tenn. game. So injuries can happen any time at any spot. All the more reason not to spend a roster spot on a one-trick pony.

I ain't saying cut him outright. Hoth-Boy gets what I'm saying he's got to be able to do more than just be a KR. And even Dante Hall played a decent WR. Not to mention Holliday has never shown anything close to the "Human Joystick" in terms of moves.

1) I never said anything about getting hurt on kick returns. It's additional wear and tear on his body. Whether he gets dinged in a kickoff and then all out injures himself on defense or if he suffers an injury returning kicks is not relevant. Exposing yourself to more contact is exposing yourself to more contact.

And I disagree that he has to do more than return kicks. Being a decent receiver and an ok kick returner is not going to cut it for him. He needs to be a beast at returning kicks to make this team. Period.

Yes he should be able to be functional in the offense, but he would likely be an end if the depth chart guy there anyways.

If trindon is not returning kicks really well he's not making the team. Period.

kiwitexansfan 04-29-2012 01:49 PM

Re: Holliday Back From Holliday?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 1947439)
This guy has terrific potential. But that's the key word, potential. If he can take advantage of it, he can be a missile returning kicks.

If if and if though. I’d like to see it happen, but I ain’t holding my breath.

Missile? Maybe bullet, like a .22 or something.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger