Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Thoughts on Mercilus and My 2nd/3rd Round Draft Value Chart (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91689)

LZ 04-27-2012 04:47 PM

Thoughts on Mercilus and My 2nd/3rd Round Draft Value Chart

I put together a 1st round Texans Draft Board yesterday and I just finished a 2nd/3rd Round Draft Value Board for today.

I don't have any inside info on ANY of my predictions here, I'm simply using my draft ratings combined with my knowledge of what they look for and how they draft along with their team needs to try and create their board.

Here is the board:
http://bit.ly/Jy6xYD

I like the pick of Whitney Mercilus personally. He's not DeMarcus Ware and he has some holes in his game. I'm afraid people are going to be expecting too much from him too soon when, in reality, he's still very raw as a pass rusher.

What Mercilus does have though is a solid first step, a good change of direction, a good motor and moldable, coachable physical attributes. He will be able to come in and work into the rotation, but I'm not sure if he is ready to start just yet.

Playoffs 04-27-2012 04:50 PM

Re: Thoughts on Mercilus and My 2nd/3rd Round Draft Value Chart

Ahh, cool ... an updated draft value chart.

Thanks, Lance, you've done some good work on this draft! :clap:

Vinny 04-27-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LZ (Post 1944272)
I put together a 1st round Texans Draft Board yesterday and I just finished a 2nd/3rd Round Draft Value Board for today.

I don't have any inside info on ANY of my predictions here, I'm simply using my draft ratings combined with my knowledge of what they look for and how they draft along with their team needs to try and create their board.

Here is the board:

I like the pick of Whitney Mercilus personally. He's not DeMarcus Ware and he has some holes in his game. I'm afraid people are going to be expecting too much from him too soon when, in reality, he's still very raw as a pass rusher.

What Mercilus does have though is a solid first step, a good change of direction, a good motor and moldable, coachable physical attributes. He will be able to come in and work into the rotation, but I'm not sure if he is ready to start just yet.

He has some nice inside moves and will give Wade another credible slashing rusher inside of Barwin or Reed when its third and long. I'd have to think they project him as an eventual starter since they picked him over other need areas. I think they have that luxury the Steelers usually have with their OLB's by bringing guys along slowly.

LZ 04-27-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 1944277)
He has some nice inside moves and will give Wade another credible slashing rusher inside of Barwin or Reed when its third and long. I'd have to think they project him as an eventual starter since they picked him over other need areas. I think they have that luxury the Steelers ususally have bringing guys along slowly.

I completely agree with you, Vinny.

HOU-TEX 04-27-2012 04:58 PM

I'm not really expecting him to come in and start right away. I do expect him to contribute a lot on passing downs. I think he's quicker and has better pass rushing moves than Reed.

I'd assume Wade can figure out how to use all of them on the field together on 3rd downs. Having Smith and Watt move inside with Cushing, Barwin, Reed and Mercilus behind/beside them sounds truly appealing

TheIronDuke 04-27-2012 04:58 PM

Thanks Lance, love the show BTW.

cj5776 04-27-2012 05:01 PM

I could see Reed playing a little ILB to get all 3 on the field together, but Wade did say yesterday he wanted to draft an ILB

ChampionTexan 04-27-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Here is the board:

LZ -

What are your thoughts on his NFL readiness compared to the way you viewed Brooks Reed one year ago?

Porky 04-27-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 1944277)
He has some nice inside moves and will give Wade another credible slashing rusher inside of Barwin or Reed when its third and long. I'd have to think they project him as an eventual starter since they picked him over other need areas. I think they have that luxury the Steelers usually have with their OLB's by bringing guys along slowly.

Great insight and analysis Vinny and Lance!

thunderkyss 04-27-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

I like the pick of Whitney Mercilus personally.

You've got Courtney Upshaw on your day 1 board ahead of Mercilus. What do you think of the Texans passing on Upshaw to select Mercilus?

LZ 04-27-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 1944281)
Thanks Lance, love the show BTW.

I appreciate it.

badboy 04-27-2012 06:52 PM

IIRC, Reed was not expected to start for a while and he did pretty good.

LZ 04-27-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampionTexan (Post 1944286)
LZ -

What are your thoughts on his NFL readiness compared to the way you viewed Brooks Reed one year ago?

I think Brooks was more NFL ready last year despite having him ranked 40th on my Top 100 last year. I had Mercilus at 20, but those ratings reflect overall upside. Mercilus is less experienced and less skilled as a pass rusher than Reed was coming out, but he's the better athlete and has a higher potential ceiling.

DocBar 04-27-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LZ (Post 1944364)
I think Brooks was more NFL ready last year despite having him ranked 40th on my Top 100 last year. I had Mercilus at 20, but those ratings reflect overall upside. Mercilus is less experienced and less skilled as a pass rusher than Reed was coming out, but he's the better athlete and has a higher potential ceiling.

Phillips was quoted as saying Mercilus is more polished than Reed as a passrusher at this stage, specifically using his hands better. What are your thoughts on that? I'm looking for a link to the quote and will post it when I find it.

beerlover 04-29-2012 01:20 AM

16 sacks gets me stoked but what really pumps me up is that he tied the school single season sack record held by Simeon Rice. Rice was the 3rd overall pick in 96. He came into the combine weighing 259, 6040 & ran a 4.79 forty. Mercilus measured 261, 6035 & ran a 4.68 forty. Rice had 12.5 sacks as a rookie. It's going to be next to impossible tempering fans expectations in Wade Phillip defense with cast surrounding him.

drs23 04-29-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1947151)
16 sacks gets me stoked but what really pumps me up is that he tied the school single season sack record held by Simeon Rice. Rice was the 3rd overall pick in 96. He came into the combine weighing 259, 6040 & ran a 4.79 forty. Mercilus measured 261, 6035 & ran a 4.68 forty. Rice had 12.5 sacks as a rookie. It's going to be next to impossible tempering fans expectations in Wade Phillip defense with cast surrounding him.

I knew about the Simeon Rice part, they discussed it briefly during the draft. Had no idea about his measurables though. Virtually identical. I'm liking Wade's new guy. Big time!

Wolf6151 04-29-2012 02:49 AM

Quote:

Here is the board:

Good list. You'll notice that Devier Posey and Keyshawn Martin are nowhere on the list, makes you wonder what the Texans were thinking and who in the Texans organization made those 2 picks.

rmartin65 04-29-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1947170)
Good list. You'll notice that Devier Posey and Keyshawn Martin are nowhere on the list, makes you wonder what the Texans were thinking and who in the Texans organization made those 2 picks.

Nobody had Posey that high, but the Texans FO obviously saw something they liked. I am still trying to coming to grips with the pick, but I just cant do it yet. I hope I am wrong though.

As for Martin, he was drafted in the 4th, so he would not really be on that list. Martin is an exciting player because he seriously is a player that does what JJ was supposed to do.

LZ 04-29-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocBar (Post 1944859)
Phillips was quoted as saying Mercilus is more polished than Reed as a passrusher at this stage, specifically using his hands better. What are your thoughts on that? I'm looking for a link to the quote and will post it when I find it.

He might use his hands better, but Reed had an up and under move, an inside spin, a legit edge rush and could bull rush. If anyone wants to show me any games where Mercilus exhibited those pass rush moves, I am more than willing to come watch. Hand placement and usage may very well be in Mercilus' favor. Mercilus is the better overall prospect though.

The Medic01 04-29-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LZ (Post 1947440)
He might use his hands better, but Reed had an up and under move, an inside spin, a legit edge rush and could bull rush. If anyone wants to show me any games where Mercilus exhibited those pass rush moves, I am more than willing to come watch. Hand placement and usage may very well be in Mercilus' favor. Mercilus is the better overall prospect though.

No offense man I'm sure you know about this but I'll take Wade's word over yours. No offense just Wade is a genius who probably spent weeks on end studying pass rushers. He gets paid to do this kind of thing.