Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Who's in charge of this years draft? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91635)

Wolf6151 04-26-2012 05:12 AM

Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
It was pretty obvious last year that Wade Phillips was in charge of the draft after McNair hired him and the switch to the 3-4 defense. He let Wade pick his players for the conversion. Rick Smith might have been making the calls but Wade was pulling his strings and telling him what players to go after. As a result we had one of our most successful drafts ever. So who's in charge this year? Do they let Wade pull the strings again and have another successful draft, or does McNair risk Smithiak making the picks and take the chance of small school players picked way to early, project players chosen way to early, multiple TE's, drafting your friends kids, more awsome talent from CSU, etc... Who's in charge, and do you have confidence in them?

welsh texan 04-26-2012 05:35 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1942200)
It was pretty obvious last year that Wade Phillips was in charge of the draft after McNair hired him and the switch to the 3-4 defense. He let Wade pick his players for the conversion. Rick Smith might have been making the calls but Wade was pulling his strings and telling him what players to go after. As a result we had one of our most successful drafts ever. So who's in charge this year? Do they let Wade pull the strings again and have another successful draft, or does McNair risk Smithiak making the picks and take the chance of small school players picked way to early, project players chosen way to early, multiple TE's, drafting your friends kids, more awsome talent from CSU, etc... Who's in charge, and do you have confidence in them?

I believe they are totally genuine when they explain their system of deciding the picks, and that its a team effort where they work out between themselves who's the best value.

We all talk about how great Wade drafted last year, in reality the jury is still out, they got 2 great players in the first 2 picks, then a load of guys who barely saw the field (save for TJ), so grading the overall draft last year is difficult so far.

Our needs look a lot more evenly spread this year, with many of them being depth/rotation/future needs rather than must-find-a-week1-starter type situations so its set to be an interesting couple of days. Keep the Faith.

Playoffs 04-26-2012 08:51 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
GM is always in charge of the draft. :kitten:

dream_team 04-26-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 1942278)
GM is always in charge of the draft. :kitten:

This! ^^^

Why do people think last year's draft was all Wade? He gave his input, but Rick is still in charge. If you claim Rick doesn't know how to draft defense, then who was in charge in 2009?

Big Lou 04-26-2012 09:37 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by welsh texan (Post 1942202)
I believe they are totally genuine when they explain their system of deciding the picks, and that its a team effort where they work out between themselves who's the best value.

We all talk about how great Wade drafted last year, in reality the jury is still out, they got 2 great players in the first 2 picks, then a load of guys who barely saw the field (save for TJ), so grading the overall draft last year is difficult so far.

Our needs look a lot more evenly spread this year, with many of them being depth/rotation/future needs rather than must-find-a-week1-starter type situations so its set to be an interesting couple of days. Keep the Faith.

Wade drafted well at QB..... LOL

On an only slightly related note, I wish TJ Houshmadilla was still playing at a high level, because we would have to sign him. I could just hear: "TJ throws to TJ in the endzone for a TD!!!!!" Championship!!!!

Posters around Reliant would look like Algebra: TJ+TJ=TD (So does D=J/2)

Hardcore Texan 04-26-2012 09:41 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
Me. :secret:

welsh texan 04-26-2012 09:41 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Lou (Post 1942315)
Wade drafted well at QB..... LOL

On an only slightly related note, I wish TJ Houshmadilla was still playing at a high level, because we would have to sign him. I could just hear: "TJ throws to TJ in the endzone for a TD!!!!!" Championship!!!!

Posters around Reliant would look like Algebra: TJ+TJ=TD (So does D=J/2)

Ahh that isn't what I meant, although it highlights my point that it wasn't all on Wade last year, they hit on an O pick too.

HOU-TEX 04-26-2012 09:44 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
HOU-TEX :boogie:

steelbtexan 04-26-2012 09:45 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
I dont know who's in charge. But I do know if the Texans have a terrible draft it wont be teflon Ricks fault.

TimeKiller 04-26-2012 09:46 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
Same jam as every year Rick Smith has been here. His team of scouts go collect information all year and bring it back. The coaches sort through the bull, hand Rick a list. When it comes time, they discuss a few potential candidates and run with what they think is the best option. Everyone has input, I'm sure McNair probably doesn't say a whole lot but I bet if he says something they listen to him too. I wouldn't call it a charge but I think Rick Smith laid the groundwork for the process they collectively use as a management team.

BIG TORO 04-26-2012 10:01 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
The Miller lite girls:
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...83663d162cd696

wolf123 04-26-2012 10:04 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1942323)
I dont know who's in charge. But I do know if the Texans have a terrible draft it wont be teflon Ricks fault.

Ricks gotten plenty of blame, even though most of it is undeserved.

Vinnie 04-26-2012 10:10 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG TORO (Post 1942334)

I don't have a problem with this.

b0ng 04-26-2012 11:15 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1942323)
I dont know who's in charge. But I do know if the Texans have a terrible draft it wont be teflon Ricks fault.

Wouldn't be a TT thread unless somebody exaggerated a negative claim then misplaced the blame for the blown up notion.

Marcus 04-26-2012 11:36 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1942323)
I dont know who's in charge. But I do know if the Texans have a terrible draft it wont be teflon Ricks fault.

That's funny, I thought Kubes was teflon.

Oh wait, I got it now. Anyone that you want fired, that wasn't, is made of teflon. Sorry, hadn't had the coffee yet this morning. :smooch:

steelbtexan 04-26-2012 11:47 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus (Post 1942406)
That's funny, I thought Kubes was teflon.

Oh wait, I got it now. Anyone that you want fired, that wasn't, is made of teflon. Sorry, hadn't had the coffee yet this morning. :smooch:

I have never said Gary was teflon.

Gary is a good guy who was overmatched when he stuck his hands on the defensive side of the ball. Gary is too conservative for my liking. But with Wade on board Gary appeared to come out of the shell he has been in since Rosencopter.

I'm not a Smith hater, I just think he is like most corporate upper management types. He takes credit for others work when things go right and puts blame on others when thing dont work out as planned.

b0ng 04-26-2012 11:58 AM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1942413)
I have never said Gary was teflon.

Gary is a good guy who was overmatched when he stuck his hands on the defensive side of the ball. Gary is too conservative for my liking. But with Wade on board Gary appeared to come out of the shell he has been in since Rosencopter.

I'm not a Smith hater, I just think he is like most corporate upper management types. He takes credit for others work when things go right and puts blame on others when thing dont work out as planned.

Sounds more like you believe anything Smith has done right can be attributed to somebody else, and anything that goes wrong has to be blamed on Smith no matter the situation.

Big Lou 04-26-2012 02:01 PM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by welsh texan (Post 1942319)
Ahh that isn't what I meant, although it highlights my point that it wasn't all on Wade last year, they hit on an O pick too.

I wasn't trying to poke fun at you or take your point out of context. I just had an image in my head.

Big Lou 04-26-2012 02:05 PM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ng (Post 1942396)
Wouldn't be a TT thread unless somebody exaggerated a negative claim then misplaced the blame for the blown up notion.

I would prefer the to be in a draft. I'll trade my current wife for picks, and then I'll trade up to take all three in the first round.

badboy 04-26-2012 02:18 PM

Re: Who's in charge of this years draft?
 
team effort with Smith nominally in charge.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger