Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91597)

mussop 04-24-2012 08:57 PM

Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
By Chad Reuter NFL.com

Click link above to view entire draft. This is who he has us taking.

Houston Texans
1 (26) Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
2 (58) Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington
3 (76) Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt
4 (99) Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas
4 (121) Nigel Bradham, LB, Florida State
5 (161) James Hanna, TE, Oklahoma
6 (195) Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State
7 (233) Blair Walsh, K, Georgia

This is what I came up with using his list.


26. Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State.
58. Mitchell Schwartz, OT
76. Senio Kelemete, OG/OT
99. Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas.
121. Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State.
161. Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina
195. Chase Ford, TE, Miami
233. J.R. Sweezy, DE, North Carolina State

texasam82 04-24-2012 09:33 PM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1941377)
By Chad Reuter NFL.com

Click link above to view entire draft. This is who he has us taking.

Houston Texans
1 (26) Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
2 (58) Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington
3 (76) Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt
4 (99) Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas
4 (121) Nigel Bradham, LB, Florida State
5 (161) James Hanna, TE, Oklahoma
6 (195) Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State
7 (233) Blair Walsh, K, Georgia

This is what I came up with using his list.


26. Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State.
58. Mitchell Schwartz, OT
76. Senio Kelemete, OG/OT
99. Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas.
121. Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State.
161. Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina
195. Chase Ford, TE, Miami
233. J.R. Sweezy, DE, North Carolina State


I like it, though I would like to see us grab a DE that could replace A.Smith somewhere in the first 3 picks. Have a question though... You commented on my mock that you didn't think there was any way that Childs makes it out of the 3rd, but I see him at 4a (where I had him) on both of these mocks? I hope we land him! If he never hurt his knee I fully believe we'd be considering him at 26.

mussop 04-24-2012 09:59 PM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by texasam82 (Post 1941409)
I like it, though I would like to see us grab a DE that could replace A.Smith somewhere in the first 3 picks. Have a question though... You commented on my mock that you didn't think there was any way that Childs makes it out of the 3rd, but I see him at 4a (where I had him) on both of these mocks? I hope we land him! If he never hurt his knee I fully believe we'd be considering him at 26.

You can't get everything you want. I was happy with the outcome and thought it filled many holes.

26. Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State. Mario's replacement
58. Mitchell Schwartz, OT Winston's replacement
76. Senio Kelemete, OG/OT Breisel's replacement
99. Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas.
121. Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State. More quality help for the secondary
161. Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina
195. Chase Ford, TE, Miami Dreeson's replacement
233. J.R. Sweezy, DE, North Carolina State Perfect fit for this defense and eventual replacement for Smith


Also added youth, size and speed at WR. Hard to ask for more than that in one draft.

I don't believe Childs will last past the 3rd. It just happened that way in this draft. That said it is possible.

texasam82 04-24-2012 11:01 PM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1941446)
You can't get everything you want. I was happy with the outcome and thought it filled many holes.

26. Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State. Mario's replacement
58. Mitchell Schwartz, OT Winston's replacement
76. Senio Kelemete, OG/OT Breisel's replacement
99. Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas.
121. Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State. More quality help for the secondary
161. Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina
195. Chase Ford, TE, Miami Dreeson's replacement
233. J.R. Sweezy, DE, North Carolina State Perfect fit for this defense and eventual replacement for Smith


Also added youth, size and speed at WR. Hard to ask for more than that in one draft.

I don't believe Childs will last past the 3rd. It just happened that way in this draft. That said it is possible.

Oh I'm certainly not complaining!! I think we'd all be happy with that draft come the end of the weekend. I just hope you're wrong about Childs not lasting to the 4th!

I do find it VERY interested how the tides have turned over the last month. EVERYONE (myself included) was screaming for a WR at 26. Now it seems that many of us have come to realize that we can stack the D and OL early and find some WR's late with a TON of potential.

mussop 04-24-2012 11:38 PM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by texasam82 (Post 1941501)
Oh I'm certainly not complaining!! I think we'd all be happy with that draft come the end of the weekend. I just hope you're wrong about Childs not lasting to the 4th!

I do find it VERY interested how the tides have turned over the last month. EVERYONE (myself included) was screaming for a WR at 26. Now it seems that many of us have come to realize that we can stack the D and OL early and find some WR's late with a TON of potential.

Everyone but me! I have been saying all along the value at WR won't be there at 26. Im always in favor of building the trenches early.

beerlover 04-24-2012 11:56 PM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
I would really need for the Texans to trade out of the first. Let's just use Cleveland for example, so they really really want Weeden & move up to #26. All the Texans ask for in return is their 2nd this year & next. So here would be mine based on this mock draft-

2. Bobby Massie, OT Ole' Miss can play both sides tremendous range & upside more than replaces Winston could take over for Butler year two.
2. Jared Crick, OLB/DE/NT, that's right all three in Wade's system fits character of defense, team player.
3. Juron Criner, WR going to force me to take him a little sooner than I wanted but think he is ready, polished & makes nice tandem with Andre.
4. Ben Jones, Center/OG, adds depth & fights Caldwell for reps @ RG or if needed to back-up Myers.
4. Kyle Wilber, OLB/ILB pass rushing force, non stop motor & adds to special teams. Could see him battling Sharpton or kicking outside. 4.6 speed.
5. Alfonzo Dennard, CB yeah why not take a shot on him this late?
6. Dwight Jones, WR reunite him with TJ might restore his confidence.
7. Braddie Ewing, FB Listened to Watt today on 610 & it makes you just want to draft more badgers, plus Foster/Tate need a true lead blocker.

Don't forget now Texans would get the Cleveland Browns 2nd round pick in 2013 :)

aussie_texan 04-25-2012 12:34 AM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1941538)
I would really need for the Texans to trade out of the first. Let's just use Cleveland for example, so they really really want Weeden & move up to #26. All the Texans ask for in return is their 2nd this year & next. So here would be mine based on this mock draft-

2. Bobby Massie, OT Ole' Miss can play both sides tremendous range & upside more than replaces Winston could take over for Butler year two.
2. Jared Crick, OLB/DE/NT, that's right all three in Wade's system fits character of defense, team player.
3. Juron Criner, WR going to force me to take him a little sooner than I wanted but think he is ready, polished & makes nice tandem with Andre.
4. Ben Jones, Center/OG, adds depth & fights Caldwell for reps @ RG or if needed to back-up Myers.
4. Kyle Wilber, OLB/ILB pass rushing force, non stop motor & adds to special teams. Could see him battling Sharpton or kicking outside. 4.6 speed.
5. Alfonzo Dennard, CB yeah why not take a shot on him this late?
6. Dwight Jones, WR reunite him with TJ might restore his confidence.
7. Braddie Ewing, FB Listened to Watt today on 610 & it makes you just want to draft more badgers, plus Foster/Tate need a true lead blocker.

Don't forget now Texans would get the Cleveland Browns 2nd round pick in 2013 :)

why would cleveland trade up to get weeden. there are no QB hungry teams between us and there 2round pick.

If there is a trade it might be for one of the OLB that a teams really wants and wants to get ahead of new england and green bay because both need OLB

panamamyers 04-25-2012 12:49 AM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
1. Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
2. Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia
3. Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia
4a. Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas
4b. Nigel Bradham, ILB, Florida State
5. Matt McCants, OT, UAB
6. Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina
7. Gino Gradkowski, OG, Delaware

SteveSlaton20 04-25-2012 02:48 AM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1941377)
By Chad Reuter NFL.com

Click link above to view entire draft. This is who he has us taking.

Houston Texans
1 (26) Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
2 (58) Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington
3 (76) Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt
4 (99) Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas
4 (121) Nigel Bradham, LB, Florida State
5 (161) James Hanna, TE, Oklahoma
6 (195) Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State
7 (233) Blair Walsh, K, Georgia

I love this mock. The only things I'd change is,

Bruce Irvin @ #76, Chase Minnifield @ #121, and Michael Brewster @ #161(if he can play OG)

SteveSlaton20 04-25-2012 02:52 AM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1941538)
2. Jared Crick, OLB, that's right all three in Wade's system fits character of defense, team player.

:wadepalm:

IDEXAN 04-25-2012 07:33 AM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1941377)

This is what I came up with using his list.


26. Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State.
58. Mitchell Schwartz, OT
76. Senio Kelemete, OG/OT
99. Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas.
121. Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State.
161. Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina
195. Chase Ford, TE, Miami
233. J.R. Sweezy, DE, North Carolina State

OK that's a pretty good mock there Mussop. My biggest criticism would be that I don't see a WR until the 4th round: we need one of those guys in the first 2 rounds. BTW, I really like the pick of the interior lineman out of Wasington. That's a real value pick in the third round of a player who's a great fit for our ZBS. And I'm intrigued by the California tackle, he's got ratings/evaluations all over the place ?

beerlover 04-25-2012 01:05 PM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 1941551)
why would cleveland trade up to get weeden. there are no QB hungry teams between us and there 2round pick.

If there is a trade it might be for one of the OLB that a teams really wants and wants to get ahead of new england and green bay because both need OLB

I have a higher grade on Weeden than Tannehill. His late entry is due to his pursuit in MLB http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=nyy

beerlover 04-25-2012 01:19 PM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
2. Jared Crick, OLB/DE/NT, that's right all three in Wade's system fits character of defense, team player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 (Post 1941569)
:wadepalm:

Wade is an innovator can we agree on that? He moved Mario to OLB & he was 6070 295 coming out of college. Mario Williams 1st 10 which measures explosiveness, was an impressive 1.61 sec. JJ Watt was 1.63. Crick 1.72. I'm not suggesting this will be his first position or even his second. More likely as he gets stronger coming off his torn pec (same injury as Mario had) he will rehab hard adding muscle mass with near ideal height to weight ratio just under 300 lbs. Then he makes his mark in NT rotation, three man fronts in rushing situations. In case of injury to either DE he could cover. Has proven ability to penetrate & close in the pocket. Will do anything coaches ask & be a solid teammate. You know Texans have a history of surprise picks :)

badboy 04-25-2012 01:37 PM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1941377)
By Chad Reuter NFL.com

Click link above to view entire draft. This is who he has us taking.

Houston Texans
1 (26) Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
2 (58) Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington
3 (76) Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt
4 (99) Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas
4 (121) Nigel Bradham, LB, Florida State
5 (161) James Hanna, TE, Oklahoma
6 (195) Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State
7 (233) Blair Walsh, K, Georgia

This is what I came up with using his list.


26. Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State.
58. Mitchell Schwartz, OT
76. Senio Kelemete, OG/OT
99. Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas.
121. Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State.
161. Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina
195. Chase Ford, TE, Miami
233. J.R. Sweezy, DE, North Carolina State

Here's hoping for yours.

badboy 04-25-2012 01:40 PM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by texasam82 (Post 1941501)
Oh I'm certainly not complaining!! I think we'd all be happy with that draft come the end of the weekend. I just hope you're wrong about Childs not lasting to the 4th!

I do find it VERY interested how the tides have turned over the last month. EVERYONE (myself included) was screaming for a WR at 26. Now it seems that many of us have come to realize that we can stack the D and OL early and find some WR's late with a TON of potential.

Or some of us came to believe no worthy WR @ #26 and going another position. I changed to WR in TE body Coby Fleener

EVOLVIST 04-25-2012 06:54 PM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 (Post 1941568)
I love this mock. The only things I'd change is,

Bruce Irvin @ #76, Chase Minnifield @ #121, and Michael Brewster @ #161(if he can play OG)

Big ups on Chase Minnifield, because all these mocks with the Texans not taking a CB in this draft is just daft. :)

From what I've seen I've been the only one, until now, to mock Minnifield, which is safe and above solid pick for this young ballhawk. My last mock, though, I replaced him with Janzen Jackson @ #121, because this guy is probably the 2nd best corner in the draft if it weren't for his character issues....which means the Texans won't take him. But Minnifield I can see...as I've rated him the 4th best CB in this year's draft.

Corrosion 04-25-2012 08:17 PM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLVIST (Post 1941967)
Big ups on Chase Minnifield, because all these mocks with the Texans not taking a CB in this draft is just daft. :)

From what I've seen I've been the only one, until now, to mock Minnifield, which is safe and above solid pick for this young ballhawk. My last mock, though, I replaced him with Janzen Jackson @ #121, because this guy is probably the 2nd best corner in the draft if it weren't for his character issues....which means the Texans won't take him. But Minnifield I can see...as I've rated him the 4th best CB in this year's draft.

You definately arent the only one who thinks the Texans should look at a CB and Minnifield in particular .... Tho I havent had the time to put together a mock.

TimeKiller 04-25-2012 11:33 PM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
If I may...

1- Shea McClellin, LB
2- Mohamed Sanu, WR
3- Zebrie Sanders, OT
4a- Greg Childs, WR
4b- Brandon Mosley, OT
5- Kheeston Randall, DT
6- Desmond Wynn, OG
7- Blair Walsh, K

texasam82 04-26-2012 12:20 AM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeKiller (Post 1942089)
If I may...

1- Shea McClellin, LB
2- Mohamed Sanu, WR
3- Zebrie Sanders, OT
4a- Greg Childs, WR
4b- Brandon Mosley, OT
5- Kheeston Randall, DT
6- Desmond Wynn, OG
7- Blair Walsh, K


Like Sanders,Childs,Mosley plenty... But I really dislike Sanu for us in the 2nd. While I believe in character/motor guys in the trenches in some cases above more skilled drama queens and/or "red flag" character guys I fully believe that at WR you need to do more than just try really hard. I really think Sanu gets blanketed at the next level by NFL CB's.

aussie_texan 04-26-2012 12:25 AM

Re: Seven-round mock: Projecting every pick in 2012 NFL Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1941725)
I have a higher grade on Weeden than Tannehill. His late entry is due to his pursuit in MLB http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=nyy

His clearly a better QB.
But i still don't think anyone trades up to the bottom of the first to take him.
at least not with us.

We could still trade back but it want be because a QB is wanted by a team.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger