Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   My dark horses (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91532)

76Texan 04-23-2012 01:27 PM

My dark horses
 
One of them is OLB Miles Burris, San Diego St.
6'1-1/2, 246 lbs
4.67 40
1.61 10-yd split
4.20 SS
6.81 3-cone
31 reps
10' Broad
37-1/2 vertical

Highlights from 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VapULyU56To

Highlights from 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtlONCH8jPA

In the highlights, there were some plays against Michigan, Mizzou and TCU
He also played against BYU, Utah, Boise St. - teams that have good Tackles and good players overall.

He could go late in the third or somewhere in the fourth.

76Texan 04-24-2012 01:03 PM

Re: My dark horses
 
As far as WRs go, I've mentioned Dale Moss as a dark horse that is rated between 3rd and 6th (this is the rating NFL scouts told him he could go in the draft - through an interview with Moss.)

Another dark horse of mine is Williams Vlachos (Center - Alabam).
I had mentioned this guy since his sophomore year.
He took over Caldwell's place in the middle and the Tide never missed a beat.
Even in his Sophomore year, I thought he was about as effective as Caldwell (in his Senior year).

When I use the term effective, I mean that he doesn't look much, but somehow he still manages to get the job done. The hole he opens is usually there just long enough for the RB to make it through. Coffee, Ingram, Richardson and company never complaint.

Scott Wright from Draftcountdown had this observation from Senior Bowl practices:

"Alabama C William Vlachos was arguably the least impressive guy at the weigh-in and while it wasn't always pretty today the guy was shockingly effective. Vlachos looks short and sloppy on the hoof but stays low and uses good leverage to win against bigger, more talented defensive linemen."

76Texan 04-24-2012 01:12 PM

Re: My dark horses
 
Here's probably a good description of Vlachos form Mockingthedraft:

Passing the "eye test" is going to be an issue for Vlachos as he is short and stocky
He doesn't have great athleticism and isn't very fluid
When in space, Vlachos will struggle to keep defenders in front of him
His lack of height helps him stay low and get leverage
He is able to snap the ball and get his hands up all in one motion
That motion allows him to routinely get his hands inside the defender
Vlachos is pesky and once he gets his hands on you it's hard to disengage
He always gets inside hands and does a good job staying low
Vlachos has a natural bend
His quickness off the ball helps overcome his lack of strength and athleticism
He is a very good Velcro player
Vlachos looks to be a good fit for a zone-blocking scheme
He is going to move people off the line but can lock on, turn and seal
Faced top competition in SEC such has Nick Fairley and Drake Nevis.

Note: Fairley was a first rounder last year and Nevis a third rounder.
Obviously, Vlachos had faced several quality SEC NTs and DTs besides those guys.

He also did well against guys from other conferences that were drafted or will be drafted this year.

In the Senior Bowl, he actually played more than Ben Jones - Georgia (both were on the South team) and did exactly what he normally did (against Martin from Michigan and Tamu from Wash) even though Jones "looks prettier".
The two of them got about the same grade from me in that game.

steelbtexan 04-24-2012 01:14 PM

Re: My dark horses
 
Rishard Matthews- If you like Greg Childs you should like Matthews, they are very similar WR's. Danny Coale is another sleeper WR of mine.

DB's I like Omar Bolden at CB and Brandon Hardin at S.

DT's Hebron Fangupo and Armond Armstead

76Texan 04-24-2012 01:21 PM

Re: My dark horses
 
Vlachos wasn't on Mayock top 5, but moved into #4 after the Senior Bowl.
He's 5th on SI' list.

WolverineFan 04-24-2012 01:27 PM

Re: My dark horses
 
Burris at OLB, Trevin Wade (Arizona) at CB, Ryan Van Bergen (Michigan) at DE to name a few.

76Texan 04-24-2012 02:22 PM

Re: My dark horses
 
Here's a more detail account of Vlachos accomplishments:

first-team All-SEC by league coaches and the Associated Press
(Ben Jones is on the second team).

missed only eight assignments in 733 plays

two-time SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week (Florida and Auburn).

Penn State:
not allowing a sack to the talented Nittany Lion front seven ... graded out a team-best 91 percent ... earned Offensive Player of the Week honors from the Alabama coaching staff.

Florida: Was named the SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week and a the UA coaches Offensive Player of the Week ... graded out at at team-best 91 percent with a season-best six pancake blocks ... the Tide did not surrender a sack.

Mississippi: Graded out at a team-best 91 percent ... did not allow a sack.

Tennessee: did not allow a sack

LSU: Helped Alabama account for 295 yards of offense against one of the nation’s best defenses, including 169 yards from scrimmage for Richardson.

Mississippi State: Graded out at 90 percent with two pancake blocks ... turned in an outstanding game on the offensive front as the Tide was missing All-American Barrett Jones ... did not allow a sack

Auburn: Was selected as the SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week following the Iron Bowl win ... graded out at a season-high 97 percent to lead the team ... also named Alabama Offensive Player of the Week.

LSU (BCS National Championship Game): His played along the offensive front helped the Crimson Tide secure its second national championship in the last three years ... helped open holes for 384 yards of total offense, including 234 through the air and 150 yards on the ground — the most allowed by LSU this season ... cleared a path for Richardson to rush for 96 yards — also the most allowed to a single rusher by the Tigers in 2011

Overall, he graded above 90% 7 times, best on the team.

badboy 04-24-2012 02:26 PM

Re: My dark horses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 1940916)
Here's probably a good description of Vlachos form Mockingthedraft:

Passing the "eye test" is going to be an issue for Vlachos as he is short and stocky
He doesn't have great athleticism and isn't very fluid
When in space, Vlachos will struggle to keep defenders in front of him
His lack of height helps him stay low and get leverage
He is able to snap the ball and get his hands up all in one motion
That motion allows him to routinely get his hands inside the defender
Vlachos is pesky and once he gets his hands on you it's hard to disengage
He always gets inside hands and does a good job staying low
Vlachos has a natural bend
His quickness off the ball helps overcome his lack of strength and athleticism
He is a very good Velcro player
Vlachos looks to be a good fit for a zone-blocking scheme
He is going to move people off the line but can lock on, turn and seal
Faced top competition in SEC such has Nick Fairley and Drake Nevis.

Note: Fairley was a first rounder last year and Nevis a third rounder.
Obviously, Vlachos had faced several quality SEC NTs and DTs besides those guys.

He also did well against guys from other conferences that were drafted or will be drafted this year.

In the Senior Bowl, he actually played more than Ben Jones - Georgia (both were on the South team) and did exactly what he normally did (against Martin from Michigan and Tamu from Wash) even though Jones "looks prettier".
The two of them got about the same grade from me in that game.

I just don't see him transitioning to the NFL but to be honest, I did not watch him much. I much prefer TBob Hebert LSU

76Texan 04-24-2012 04:18 PM

Re: My dark horses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1940993)
I just don't see him transitioning to the NFL but to be honest, I did not watch him much. I much prefer TBob Hebert LSU

Hebert din't impress me at all against Bama (among the last few LSU games I watched).

I was looking at Randle a week ago, and I did keep an eye on Hebert (on purpose - close but not really close), I just don't quite see it (about 9 or 10 games).

Regarding Vlachos, that is why I see him as a dark horse; if he's going to be drafted in the late rounds due to his lack of physique (forget about his pro day where he put on some weight, probably trying to show that he can play in a power scheme).
I'd rather he stays under 300 as he did before his Sr year to be more effective in the ZBS scheme.

76Texan 04-26-2012 01:40 AM

Re: My dark horses
 
Don't think I have time for a few more dark horses I wanted to spend more time on, so I will just present you with the last one: Adrien Robinson, TE, Cinn

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2012&genpos=TE

If this guy can be had in the 6th as nfldraftscout indicate, I will be very happy.
I don't see Fleener when we have OD and Graham and Casey on the team.
There are a few TEs that intrigue, including Hanna (Okl) that Rey mentioned.
The guy from SMU, etc...

I see Robinson as a better value later for the Texans.

A couple years ago, I recommended Brandon Myers over Anthony Hill.
An excellent blocker that can give you a few important catches here and there.

Robinson is a bigger guy that is also more athletic.
He can block in line; he can block when going into motion across the backfield; he can block downfield (notice his speed and other measurables).
And he can do it with a "mean streak".

His catching ability was not utilized enough at Cincy.
You just need to watch a couple of his limited highlights to see that he can climb the ladder and he can adjust to the ball (again, refer back to his measurables for confirmation).

I think he can complement the guys we already have very well, for cheap (hopefully).

TimeKiller 04-26-2012 08:32 AM

Re: My dark horses
 
I could get on board with Miles Burris. He's got some quicks and plays well with his feet but has obvious deficiencies with hand-to-hand tactics. NFL lineman aren't just going to let you slip by them like that.

Playoffs 04-26-2012 10:05 AM

Re: My dark horses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 1941125)
I don't see Fleener when we have OD and Graham and Casey on the team.

I don't either. Agree with Parcells in not drafting TE in 1st, period.

Post up more names of guys you like here, 76T, pre-draft. I'd like to have them on my radar.

Rey 04-26-2012 10:08 AM

Re: My dark horses
 
I'm not feeling the Fleener pick either.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

76Texan 04-26-2012 11:45 AM

Re: My dark horses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 1942287)
I don't either. Agree with Parcells in not drafting TE in 1st, period.

Post up more names of guys you like here, 76T, pre-draft. I'd like to have them on my radar.

As far as receivers go, I've watched so many of them now it's all mumbo, jumbo, LOL.

Let me just throw out a few names that haven't been mentioned, or haven't been mentioned much.


Thomas Mayo
Cody Pearcy

Both were on rmartin's list.

steelbtexan 04-26-2012 12:12 PM

Re: My dark horses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 1942371)
As far as receivers go, I've watched so many of them now it's all mumbo, jumbo, LOL.

Let me just throw out a few names that haven't been mentioned, or haven't been mentioned much.


Thomas Mayo
Cody Pearcy

Both were on rmartin's list.

Pearcy is a guy with great quickness.

He would be a great late rd pick.

Playoffs 04-26-2012 12:46 PM

Re: My dark horses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1942393)
Pearcy is a guy with great quickness.

He would be a great late rd pick.

The Tuna pumped up Pearcy on ESPN. Sounds like the quickest little white guy ever.

NastyNate 04-26-2012 12:54 PM

Re: My dark horses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 1942290)
I'm not feeling the Fleener pick either.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I have to spread some rep. Totally agree.

TimeKiller 04-26-2012 08:14 PM

Re: My dark horses
 
Fleener only makes sense if you really believe he can line up in the slot and maybe even outside. The redzone presence would also be a nice addition.

76Texan 04-26-2012 08:51 PM

Re: My dark horses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 1942412)
The Tuna pumped up Pearcy on ESPN. Sounds like the quickest little white guy ever.

Martin and I, we both really like him... until I found one of his training videos.
He dropped quite a few passes, uggh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fmGd4_5Q4Y

Playoffs 04-27-2012 01:02 AM

Re: My dark horses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 1942931)
Martin and I, we both really like him... until I found one of his training videos.
He dropped quite a few passes, uggh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fmGd4_5Q4Y

He's got hard hands ... really raw ... but geez looks like he's got a wicked "other gear"!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger