Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   NFL Network State of the Texans (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91385)

Lurvinator11 04-16-2012 10:15 PM

NFL Network State of the Texans
 
NFL Network did a "State of the Texans" program.

I swear these talking heads are dumb. Did you hear that one guy? "Mario sacks 10 times a game" HA!


http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-te...Houston-Texans

hot pickle 04-16-2012 10:30 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
lol willie doesnt know what he talking about when it comes to the texans. didn't mention cush once

Thorn 04-16-2012 10:56 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
Talking heads talking stuff they don't know about and was written out for them by a script writer.

Mario Williams averaged ten sacks a game huh? Wow. No wonder Buffalo paid so much for him. :lol:

Lurvinator11 04-16-2012 11:16 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 1937217)
Mario Williams averaged ten sacks a game huh? Wow. No wonder Buffalo paid so much for him. :lol:

Had he done that, We would have locked him up after his first year! C'mon guys!

Quick II Draw 04-17-2012 03:29 AM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
You guys are being really cynical. They open the video with a disclaimer that this is a "brief glance" at the Houston Texans.

Billick makes the (correct) assertion that Houston could go DT, DE/OLB, or WR...
McGinest obviously meant 10 sacks/year for Mario...
He mentions that Demeco was the "true leader" of the defense, which nobody really disagrees with...

The only big goof is that he implies Barwin, not Cushing, needs to step up and assume Demeco's leadership role.

Norg 04-17-2012 05:06 AM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
they talked same ol same ol nothing new

hey wont be has bad has the state of the Jags tho ... really tho i want to learn more about the Jags what have they got going for them ????? LOL

Quick II Draw 04-17-2012 04:46 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norg (Post 1937279)
they talked same ol same ol nothing new

hey wont be has bad has the state of the Jags tho ... really tho i want to learn more about the Jags what have they got going for them ????? LOL

Great DL, Near-great LBs, some young talent in the secondary, a superstar TE, perhaps the best HB in the game, a near-great OL, some pretty good WRs? Give them a legit WR1 and watch them go off...

El Tejano 04-17-2012 04:47 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick II Draw (Post 1937590)
Great DL, Near-great LBs, some young talent in the secondary, a superstar TE, perhaps the best HB in the game, a near-great OL, some pretty good WRs? Give them a legit WR1 and watch them go off...

Andre isn't legit?? :wadepalm:

Quick II Draw 04-17-2012 04:51 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
Was talking about the jags.

:fingergun:

Double Barrel 04-17-2012 04:57 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
I have come to the conclusion over the years that the NFLN's "State of...." series in the off-season is not for the hardcore fans of those particular teams.

They are for hardcore football fans who might not be current about news regarding other teams, and that segment should be taken lightly. And I say "hardcore football fans" because the casual fans are not watching NFLN in April.

But more often than not, when they cover our team, I am never educated because I've already read the various aspects from many other sources (including this forum).

Dutchrudder 04-17-2012 05:08 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick II Draw (Post 1937275)
You guys are being really cynical. They open the video with a disclaimer that this is a "brief glance" at the Houston Texans.

Billick makes the (correct) assertion that Houston could go DT, DE/OLB, or WR...
McGinest obviously meant 10 sacks/year for Mario...
He mentions that Demeco was the "true leader" of the defense, which nobody really disagrees with...

The only big goof is that he implies Barwin, not Cushing, needs to step up and assume Demeco's leadership role.

Mario played 6 seasons and had 53 sacks, which is 8.8 a year on average. Mario was averaging a sack a game in 2012 before he went down. That would be 16 a year if he actually finished the season. I don't know where the 10 number comes from or where it was going, but it didn't make sense.

The first guy (Billick?) gets on there and starts talking about Poe as a DT for Wade's system, which pretty much shows he doesn't know anything about Wade's system. It took our own fanbase quite some time to get used to the idea that Wade wants a ~300 pound guy, not a 330+ mountain in the middle, but I think most people are on board with it now.

The Whitney Mercilus suggestion is also weird, as he doesn't really fit our scheme. He's a 4-3 DE who might be able to play OLB in a 3-4, but isn't nearly as polished for that position as Shea McClellin. Merc is a one-year wonder kind of kid that has a good chance to bust if he is a 1st round pick. Making him a 5-tech 3-4 DE would be a disaster.

I don't have a problem with the WR suggestions of Hill and Wright, but I have a feeling the Texans will outsmart everyone and pick Rueben Randle.

Overall, I would say it was a rather uninformed segment.

ChampionTexan 04-17-2012 05:19 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick II Draw (Post 1937590)
Great DL, Near-great LBs, some young talent in the secondary, a superstar TE, perhaps the best HB in the game, a near-great OL, some pretty good WRs? Give them a legit WR1 and watch them go off...

Conspicuous by it's absence is any mention of the QB position. A major problem that will not be overcome by giving them a legit WR1.

Norg 04-17-2012 05:26 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
if the jags oline is so good why did Sunshine get sacked alot last year ???? and ive never heard of there TE he must not be dat good :D

Rey 04-17-2012 05:34 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norg (Post 1937615)
if the jags oline is so good why did Sunshine get sacked alot last year ???? and ive never heard of there TE he must not be dat good :D

A lot of people were saying Gabbert was slow in his reads and held onto the ball far too long...

And you've never hear of Mercedes Lewis??


Ply mor Maddin....

pec0sb0b 04-17-2012 06:11 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 1937606)
The first guy (Billick?) gets on there and starts talking about Poe as a DT for Wade's system, which pretty much shows he doesn't know anything about Wade's system. It took our own fanbase quite some time to get used to the idea that Wade wants a ~300 pound guy, not a 330+ mountain in the middle, but I think most people are on board with it now.

The Whitney Mercilus suggestion is also weird, as he doesn't really fit our scheme. He's a 4-3 DE who might be able to play OLB in a 3-4, but isn't nearly as polished for that position as Shea McClellin. Merc is a one-year wonder kind of kid that has a good chance to bust if he is a 1st round pick. Making him a 5-tech 3-4 DE would be a disaster.

I don't have a problem with the WR suggestions of Hill and Wright, but I have a feeling the Texans will outsmart everyone and pick Rueben Randle.

Ditto on Poe - they're more likely to take someone they can play outside in rotation with J.J. Watt and Antonio Smith and also move inside on passing downs in sub-packages (like Derek Wolfe, DE/DT, Cincinatti).

Mercilus will probably be long gone at 26 and I wholly agree with the high bust factor, like many first-round pass-rushers. I read they visited with Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia - high potential at a much lower draft cost.

I'm not thrilled about Wright or Hill as first round picks as I don't really see either one as ready to start. Even though the Texans pick late in the first, if they choose the best player available they should be able to find a starter.

If they go OLB at #26 he would simply go into rotation with Barwin and Reed (unless he's really a monster). This need could be addressed in the second or third round. The need at DL could also be addressed in the second round, but history shows the Texans select a lot of defensive linemen in the first round. I still have a hard time seeing them select a WR in the first round. They quite possible go with OL in the first which could end up being the real value pick.

Offered with a grain of salt:
The Texans never pick the player they're predicted to pick.
The Texans always draft at least one TE.

With tongue in cheek I predict the Texans will pick Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford to keep the Colts from taking him.

pec0sb0b 04-17-2012 06:20 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick II Draw (Post 1937590)
Great DL, Near-great LBs, some young talent in the secondary, a superstar TE, perhaps the best HB in the game, a near-great OL, some pretty good WRs? Give them a legit WR1 and watch them go off...

Ya'll finally got rid of Jack Del Rio and that was a step in the right direction. Now if you cand get rid of Gene Smith you'll be in good shape.

Dutchrudder 04-17-2012 06:45 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick II Draw (Post 1937590)
Great DL, Near-great LBs, some young talent in the secondary, a superstar TE, perhaps the best HB in the game, a near-great OL, some pretty good WRs? Give them a legit WR1 and watch them go off...

You must be a Jags sunshiner to think that...

pec0sb0b 04-17-2012 06:53 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick II Draw (Post 1937590)
Great DL, Near-great LBs, some young talent in the secondary, a superstar TE, perhaps the best HB in the game, a near-great OL, some pretty good WRs? Give them a legit WR1 and watch them go off...

And now Pot Roast Knighton got his eye hurt in a bar fight and will miss the off-season conditioning program and undoubtedly show up for training camp at 400 lbs.:lol: Texans got a lot of yards in the A-gap last year...expect more.

silentassassin 04-17-2012 07:08 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 1937606)
Mario played 6 seasons and had 53 sacks, which is 8.8 a year on average. Mario was averaging a sack a game in 2012 before he went down. That would be 16 a year if he actually finished the season. I don't know where the 10 number comes from or where it was going, but it didn't make sense.

The first guy (Billick?) gets on there and starts talking about Poe as a DT for Wade's system, which pretty much shows he doesn't know anything about Wade's system. It took our own fanbase quite some time to get used to the idea that Wade wants a ~300 pound guy, not a 330+ mountain in the middle, but I think most people are on board with it now.

The Whitney Mercilus suggestion is also weird, as he doesn't really fit our scheme. He's a 4-3 DE who might be able to play OLB in a 3-4, but isn't nearly as polished for that position as Shea McClellin. Merc is a one-year wonder kind of kid that has a good chance to bust if he is a 1st round pick. Making him a 5-tech 3-4 DE would be a disaster.

I don't have a problem with the WR suggestions of Hill and Wright, but I have a feeling the Texans will outsmart everyone and pick Rueben Randle.

Overall, I would say it was a rather uninformed segment.

Agreed. And for certain teams it usually is.

Let's face it, they pay more attention to some teams than others. Our team happens to fall in that "other" category. So from the outside, they'll just ask themselves, "how many pro-bowlers did they lose/gain this offseason?" and then make a judgment from there. Nevermind that one didn't play for 70% of the games last season, and the other came off the field for nickel an sometimes switched for entire drives with his backup.

drs23 04-17-2012 08:38 PM

Re: NFL Network State of the Texans
 
All talking about who the Texans' first round pick will be I'll say I'm not SURE there'll be one.

My last dollar says Rick will do everything he can to trade down for more ammo. He might not be able to find a dance partner but my gut says he's on the horn now and has been trying to find one.

My money says he will.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger