Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91198)

Wolf6151 04-08-2012 11:06 PM

Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
I tried thinking about this draft from a little different perspective last night and came up with this mock draft. I won't go into long drawn out explanations, we know who most of the players are already. I used Walter Football's 2012 Draft Consensus Rankings that takes into account the average position of players from the big boards of Walter Football, CBS, Mel Kiper, Scouts Inc. etc...

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012consensus.php

1. Nick Perry-OLB, Mario's replacement and forms a 3 man rotation at OLB with Reed and Barwin. Great speed and size for the position.
2. Brandon Thompson-DT/NT, works in a rotation with Cody for a year and then replaces him after next season when Cody becomes a salary cap casualty. Allows the Texans to move Earl Mitchell to his more natural position at 3-4 DE depth. This pick might require a little luck.
3. Brandon Mosley-OT, works in a rotation with Butler at RT and then replaces him after next season when Butler becomes a salary cap casualty. If Massie or Schwartz are available then they're the pick but that's doubtful.
4a. A.J. Jenkins-WR, I really like this guy. He's probably not a future #1 but he's got what it takes to be a very good #2. Great speed, good hands, good routes and can work in the slot or outside. This pick might require some luck as well.
4b. Audie Cole-ILB, Demeco's replacement. Fills the spot with great size and it's not a huge loss losing a 4th round pick when he rotates out on 3rd downs.
5. Tommy Streeter-WR, great potential to be a future #1 but will need a couple years to grow and learn from AJ.
6. Randy Bullock-K, fills the K position for the next 10-15 yrs. so that we're not having to overpay old veterans every year and look for replacements every year.
7. Brandon Bolden-RB, our new #3 RB who also catches the ball well as he was used in the passing game quite a bit compared to other RB's.

rarazz00 04-09-2012 12:35 AM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1933228)
I tried thinking about this draft from a little different perspective last night and came up with this mock draft. I won't go into long drawn out explanations, we know who most of the players are already. I used Walter Football's 2012 Draft Consensus Rankings that takes into account the average position of players from the big boards of Walter Football, CBS, Mel Kiper, Scouts Inc. etc...

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012consensus.php

1. Nick Perry-OLB, Mario's replacement and forms a 3 man rotation at OLB with Reed and Barwin. Great speed and size for the position.
2. Brandon Thompson-DT/NT, works in a rotation with Cody for a year and then replaces him after next season when Cody becomes a salary cap casualty. Allows the Texans to move Earl Mitchell to his more natural position at 3-4 DE depth. This pick might require a little luck.
3. Brandon Mosley-OT, works in a rotation with Butler at RT and then replaces him after next season when Butler becomes a salary cap casualty. If Massie or Schwartz are available then they're the pick but that's doubtful.
4a. A.J. Jenkins-WR, I really like this guy. He's probably not a future #1 but he's got what it takes to be a very good #2. Great speed, good hands, good routes and can work in the slot or outside. This pick might require some luck as well.
4b. Audie Cole-ILB, Demeco's replacement. Fills the spot with great size and it's not a huge loss losing a 4th round pick when he rotates out on 3rd downs.
5. Tommy Streeter-WR, great potential to be a future #1 but will need a couple years to grow and learn from AJ.
6. Randy Bullock-K, fills the K position for the next 10-15 yrs. so that we're not having to overpay old veterans every year and look for replacements every year.
7. Brandon Bolden-RB, our new #3 RB who also catches the ball well as he was used in the passing game quite a bit compared to other RB's.

I like Nick Perry there in the 1st
not so much on Thompson in the 2nd
nice pick with Mosley in the 3rd
may be a bit early for Jenkins in the 4th..i like him though
Cole in the 4th is good value
Streeter may be gone by this time..steal if he is there in 5th
I hear good things about the Aggie kicker..im on board with it
7th could be a OG/TE/FB/RB/CB/C/S..but my guess is Kubes will snag a RB as a FA or UFA..good mock Wolf!!!!:brando:

kiwitexansfan 04-09-2012 04:09 AM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
Happy except for taking a kicker.

Wolf6151 04-09-2012 02:29 PM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan (Post 1933273)
Happy except for taking a kicker.

Bullock is the #1 ranked Kicker in this draft and taking him in the 6th will give us a player that actually makes the roster as opposed to most 6th round picks for most teams, and will prevent us from going through this hunt for a K every year, and prevent us from overpaying old veterans. It saves money and solidifies the position for years to come.

badboy 04-10-2012 04:34 PM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1933228)
I tried thinking about this draft from a little different perspective last night and came up with this mock draft. I won't go into long drawn out explanations, we know who most of the players are already. I used Walter Football's 2012 Draft Consensus Rankings that takes into account the average position of players from the big boards of Walter Football, CBS, Mel Kiper, Scouts Inc. etc...

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012consensus.php

1. Nick Perry-OLB, Mario's replacement and forms a 3 man rotation at OLB with Reed and Barwin. Great speed and size for the position.
2. Brandon Thompson-DT/NT, works in a rotation with Cody for a year and then replaces him after next season when Cody becomes a salary cap casualty. Allows the Texans to move Earl Mitchell to his more natural position at 3-4 DE depth. This pick might require a little luck.
3. Brandon Mosley-OT, works in a rotation with Butler at RT and then replaces him after next season when Butler becomes a salary cap casualty. If Massie or Schwartz are available then they're the pick but that's doubtful.
4a. A.J. Jenkins-WR, I really like this guy. He's probably not a future #1 but he's got what it takes to be a very good #2. Great speed, good hands, good routes and can work in the slot or outside. This pick might require some luck as well.
4b. Audie Cole-ILB, Demeco's replacement. Fills the spot with great size and it's not a huge loss losing a 4th round pick when he rotates out on 3rd downs.
5. Tommy Streeter-WR, great potential to be a future #1 but will need a couple years to grow and learn from AJ.
6. Randy Bullock-K, fills the K position for the next 10-15 yrs. so that we're not having to overpay old veterans every year and look for replacements every year.
7. Brandon Bolden-RB, our new #3 RB who also catches the ball well as he was used in the passing game quite a bit compared to other RB's.

Very good players 1-7 but as I see our WR as being almost disastrous, I would want more than Streeter whom I mocked to eventually replace AJ. Remove OT in 3rd (or move it down) and move your selection of NT to 3rd and bring in Quick in 2nd and we could :handshake:

TimeKiller 04-10-2012 04:58 PM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
I don't even like the Perry pick but this is a good draft. Even if I disagree with the player it's never a bad idea to build OL or pass rush with top investments, Perry does fit the bill of 1st round defensive athlete, which the Texans obviously seek. Thompson, I'm not flatly opposed to him but it's just not a splash pick. I guess that's a pretty weak criticism, IDK, just seems you would grab a receiver 1st or 2nd. Or 3rd lol...but I've been onto Mosley's game for a while now, I think he's a potential stud in the Zone blocking scheme, he can already pass block, plus he's a former TE! Good school in Auburn. Nice pick up. Jenkins isn't a terrible pick I just hate it that he's the first WR picked. Cole is a solid pickup, if available. Streeter doesn't seem like quite the prospect he did 2 or 3 months ago, does he? This is where I would rotate picks I think, grab a WR round 2 (Quick, Mo Sanu, Chris Givens, lots of choices available and a good time to get the guy you really want.) and a DT here instead. Vaughn Meatoga is one name to look up, Akiem Hicks, Kheeston Randall maybe...Love the Kicker Picker. Seems like the perfect fit. Not sold on the 7th but it's just a 7th, might've gone TE or FB or another flyer on a PR/KR guy but really nice mock overall.

Rey 04-10-2012 05:13 PM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
I don't think Streeter last that long...But if he did that would be awesome...

Wolf6151 04-10-2012 06:41 PM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
Taking a WR late is what I meant by a new perspective. I see a noticeable drop off from the top WR's to the 2nd tier of guys, and that 2nd tier of guys is huge. I'm thinking the value at WR will be gone by the #26 pick and there will be better value at OLB at #26 if Perry is available, a BPA situation. I also think getting those first 2 picks, Perry and Thompson, keeps our defense at the stellar level we achieved last year which is what put us in the playoffs. I don't want to lose that level of defense once we've achieved it. I think that 2nd tier of WR's goes from the 2nd thru the 4th rounds. Also that pick on AJ Jenkins is the 4th pick of the round so it's very high in the round. As for Streeter he's been sliding down some draft boards. I think he'll be looked at as a project player by most and will take a year or so to achieve greatness on the field. I also think that our drop off in play atWR last year that corresponded with the injuries to AJ were also attributable to lesser QB play by Schaub who didn't have a great year even when healthy. It's not all on the injuries to AJ. Getting them both back next season will put our WR level of play higher provided Schaub plays well again.

Wolf6151 04-10-2012 06:47 PM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1934054)
Very good players 1-7 but as I see our WR as being almost disastrous, I would want more than Streeter whom I mocked to eventually replace AJ. Remove OT in 3rd (or move it down) and move your selection of NT to 3rd and bring in Quick in 2nd and we could :handshake:


I selected more than Streeter, I took AJ Jenkins, a guy I really like in the very early 4th. Jenkins has great hands, speed, athleticism, good size, and uses his body to shield defenders, etc... In fact we might have to get lucky to get him in the early 4th. Also, I think that if I moved NT down to the 3rd Thompson isn't there and their's a significant drop off at DT/NT after Thompson, unless we can get Chapman but I'm worried about what extensive damage he might have done to his knee by playing on the injury.

Rey 04-10-2012 06:51 PM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
I'm not a fan of Perry as an OLB in our system.

I like speed, burst and explosiveness and I don't see that in Perry. I'd much rather have Lewis, Irvin, or McClellin if we go OLB in the draft.

I like Thompson in the 2nd.

Would not care for the OT pick in the 3rd.

Randy Bullock is my 6th round pick too.

I'd rather have Chad Diehl or Johnson from UT in the 7th.

Need to watch more of AJ Jenkins to have a real opinion. But I like the WR pick.

Same thing for Audie Cole as above.

I really like Streeter and I don't think he lasts this long.


Overall, I wouldn't complain about this draft. I rarely complain about drafts because the team has access to more info than I do and I would hope they use that to make good choices.

Wolf6151 04-11-2012 07:40 AM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 1934146)
I'm not a fan of Perry as an OLB in our system.

I like speed, burst and explosiveness and I don't see that in Perry. I'd much rather have Lewis, Irvin, or McClellin if we go OLB in the draft.

I like Thompson in the 2nd.

Would not care for the OT pick in the 3rd.

Randy Bullock is my 6th round pick too.

I'd rather have Chad Diehl or Johnson from UT in the 7th.

Need to watch more of AJ Jenkins to have a real opinion. But I like the WR pick.

Same thing for Audie Cole as above.

I really like Streeter and I don't think he lasts this long.


Overall, I wouldn't complain about this draft. I rarely complain about drafts because the team has access to more info than I do and I would hope they use that to make good choices.


What don't you like about Brandon Mosley-OT in the 3rd round? I like Massie and Schwartz better but think that both of them will be gone in the 2nd round and think that Mosley will be the best of the OT prospects available to us in the 3rd. I also don't see Butler as the future of the RT position for the Texans so I think they'll be looking for someone to take over for him next year.

Rey 04-11-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1934340)
What don't you like about Brandon Mosley-OT in the 3rd round? I like Massie and Schwartz better but think that both of them will be gone in the 2nd round and think that Mosley will be the best of the OT prospects available to us in the 3rd. I also don't see Butler as the future of the RT position for the Texans so I think they'll be looking for someone to take over for him next year.

I wouldn't be upset if the draft played out like that. I just think if we are looking to replace butler then go hard or go home. If we are actively Looking to upgrade the position I'd rather have a better prospect.

TimeKiller 04-11-2012 08:45 AM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 1934344)
I wouldn't be upset if the draft played out like that. I just think if we are looking to replace butler then go hard or go home. If we are actively Looking to upgrade the position I'd rather have a better prospect.

Do some homework on Mosley. Guy has potential to be multi-year probowler.

beerlover 04-11-2012 08:52 AM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
Perry is more of a hand in the dirt, straight line edge rusher. Don't like him as a 3-4 OLB.

Thompson lacks stamina, gets tired to easily. rotational player.

Mosley could be selected later. He is a RT only developmental prospect.

Jenkins has slight build, but great hands & runs crsip routes. will need to get stronger, develop blocking.

Cole looks part, not sure he is starter material but good for LB depth.

Streeter is raw, developmental but excellent pick this late.

Bullock is starter day one.

More of a slasher than one cut downhill but has potential to make it next level. Not sure he fits here but still very solid late round value.

Rey 04-11-2012 10:06 AM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeKiller (Post 1934353)
Do some homework on Mosley. Guy has potential to be multi-year probowler.

Are we looking to replace Butler or not?

If not, then I don't see the need to take OT that high.

If we are, I'd rather have someone that wasn't as much of a project and would be ready sooner than later.

Wolf6151 04-11-2012 07:39 PM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1934356)
Perry is more of a hand in the dirt, straight line edge rusher. Don't like him as a 3-4 OLB.

Thompson lacks stamina, gets tired to easily. rotational player.

Mosley could be selected later. He is a RT only developmental prospect.

Jenkins has slight build, but great hands & runs crsip routes. will need to get stronger, develop blocking.

Cole looks part, not sure he is starter material but good for LB depth.

Streeter is raw, developmental but excellent pick this late.

Bullock is starter day one.

More of a slasher than one cut downhill but has potential to make it next level. Not sure he fits here but still very solid late round value.


1. I read that Perry gained 20 lbs. for the Combine above his playing weight last season. This is a common practice by most DE's to show their scheme diversity, they want to show they can play 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE. Losing 10-20 lbs. gaining some speed and playing at OLB from a 2 point stance shouldn't be hard lots of players do it every year.

2. I agree Thompson looks tired at times but stamina will come from a NFL level strength and conditioning program and he'll be able to rotate with Cody his first year so that both of them stay fresh. I'm not asking him to play every down with no relief. All teams rotate their D-linemen.

3. I think all 3rd round picks are developmental players, not to many teams finding day one starters in the 3rd round. Mosley is a RT only but I don't think he can be had in the 4th. He's the next best RT prospect after Massie and Schwartz that are both expected to go in the 2nd round. Also he does need some development but all college prospects need development to achieve success at the pro level. He'd work in a rotation with Butler his first year. Remember Duane Brown, he rotated into the game his whole rookie year and we took him in the 1st round.

4. Jenkins is thin but so are most other WR's, not many WR's come out of college looking like AJ. Again an NFL level strength and conditioning program will put some muscle on him. The guy has the speed, great hands, and great routes, I'm just worried that he might not be available in the 4th as I think he could go as early as the late 2nd. I'm not sure why he's being overlooked by the prospect sites but we can only hope that other teams overlook him as well and he falls to us.

4b. I think Cole can be starter material and be a good effective 2 down ILB like Demeco. I'm not asking him to step up and be Brian Cushing, just an effective 2 down ILB who can also play OLB as well in a pinch. He started his college career as an OLB but was switched to ILB his senior year. He'll rotate out on passing downs like Demeco did.

5. Streeter is raw but I think we carry him on the roster and give him the chance to develop, he's got great potential. We can't put him on the practice squad because other teams can sign a guy from our practice squad, he'll never last on the PS.

7. I like Bolden because of his pass catching abilities and as #3 RB he'll be far cheaper than Ward and won't see the field alot. He's got good size for the position and good hands.

beerlover 04-11-2012 08:05 PM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
Of course you feel this about your guys, that's only natural.

Drastic weight changes are generally a red flag for me.

Thompson is what he probably always will be, a big rotational run plugger.

You will get serious dispute with me that Mosley is 2nd best RT in this draft.

I like Jenkins, just worried about his durability in the NFL.

I could live with Cole but doesnt seem like anything special, would take some time. Be solid special team player.

Wouldn't be upset taking flyer on Streeter late

Rey 04-11-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1934644)

3. I think all 3rd round picks are developmental players, not to many teams finding day one starters in the 3rd round. Mosley is a RT only but I don't think he can be had in the 4th. He's the next best RT prospect after Massie and Schwartz that are both expected to go in the 2nd round. Also he does need some development but all college prospects need development to achieve success at the pro level. He'd work in a rotation with Butler his first year. Remember Duane Brown, he rotated into the game his whole rookie year and we took.

Right, but there are other positions where I think we'd at least be able to find steady contributors.

Wr, db, lb, dl, rb all have a better chance at contributing because those players play in a rotation. O-linemen tend to play every snap.

If we are going to take a tackle I'd rather someone earlier. Someone to challenge for a starting spot from day 1 and/or someone to fill in due to injury I'd rather it be someone more ready.

Lucky 04-11-2012 10:56 PM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1933228)
I used Walter Football's 2012 Draft Consensus Rankings that takes into account the average position of players from the big boards of Walter Football, CBS, Mel Kiper, Scouts Inc. etc...

I like this aspect of your mock. Many of the fan mocks seem unrealistic because of where they've slotted prospects. At least you have some reference point to go from.

Put me down as liking the Mosley pick. As TimeKiller stated, Mosley's a former TE (like Brown and Winston) who's a good athlete with upside. Coming from the SEC is also a plus. Seems like a better fit for the Texans than either Massie or Schwartz. And for those who don't believe the Texans should look at Tackle early, remember that both starters (Brown and Butler) are unrestricted free agents after the 2012 season.

When I get around to doing a Texans only mock (maybe this weekend), I'm going to draft blind from either the CBS or PFW big boards. I'll make a list of 4 or 5 players from each round that I like and take the player that is available at that spot. Seems more realistic than cherry picking.

Wolf6151 04-11-2012 11:27 PM

Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1934648)
You will get serious dispute with me that Mosley is 2nd best RT in this draft.

I never said Mosley was the 2nd best RT in the draft. I said he was the next best RT after Massie and Schwartz who are probably 4th and 5th on the RT list. This all depends on what teams decide to do with players like Reiff (LT or RT), Martin (LT or RT) and Glenn (RT or OG).

Rey, like I said Mosley could rotate with Butler at RT like Duane Brown did his rookie year. OT's can rotate at their positions just like any other player. If we did it with a 1st round pick then why can't we do it with a 3rd round pick. Caldwell rotated with Brisiel for 3 yrs. at OG.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger