Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   OLB and the Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90793)

SW H-TOWN 03-27-2012 11:55 AM

OLB and the Draft
 
Where do you think that we will draft an OLB? Out of all the positions this has become the most difficult for me to mock. Thoughts, opinions, insight...thanks.

Rey 03-27-2012 11:57 AM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
I like Bruce Irvin at the end of the second round...

I think he'd be a good compliment to what we have...

I like a bunch of the OLB's though, but I think some of them will go earlier than expected and there really isn't one that I like at #26

SW H-TOWN 03-27-2012 12:14 PM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
I really like Irvin a lot. He has some skills that you just can't teach. The only thing is that he dropped out of high school due to his involvement in the street life per the national football post. That probably means that he dropped out to sell drugs. He did get his life turned around but a day after his pro day he got arrested for breaking a sign at a Jimmy John's Sandwich Shop. This just screams of idiot to me and is why I have a hard time seeing us drafting him.

badboy 03-27-2012 12:58 PM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN (Post 1926847)
Where do you think that we will draft an OLB? Out of all the positions this has become the most difficult for me to mock. Thoughts, opinions, insight...thanks.

If Wright is #26 then Ronnell Lewis #58.

Blake 03-27-2012 01:05 PM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
#26.) Nick Perry, USC

Rey 03-27-2012 05:54 PM

Isn't nick perry more of a d lineman?

badboy 03-27-2012 05:57 PM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake (Post 1926921)
#26.) Nick Perry, USC

Perry could probably work but not as strong as Curry.

Wolf6151 03-27-2012 06:26 PM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
I think Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin are the starters at OLB, and don't think we'll address OLB depth until the 3rd or 4th round. I really like Nick Perry, but just don't see OLB as our biggest need.

beerlover 03-27-2012 10:45 PM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1927181)
I think Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin are the starters at OLB, and don't think we'll address OLB depth until the 3rd or 4th round. I really like Nick Perry, but just don't see OLB as our biggest need.

This is why Hightower would be a smart pick. Starting ILB then if something happens to either Brooks or Barwin he could move to OLB & Sharpton could take over inside. Not to mention multiple looks with different blitz packages especially inside as well outside. With the money paid to these players with cap constraints its a good idea to have the versatility to cover a multitude of positions, the more you can play the more valueable you are to your team.

badboy 03-27-2012 10:48 PM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1927181)
I think Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin are the starters at OLB, and don't think we'll address OLB depth until the 3rd or 4th round. I really like Nick Perry, but just don't see OLB as our biggest need.

I think Texans have used a policy of selecting players who can play more than one position and Hightower can do that.

Rey 03-27-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1927294)
This is why Hightower would be a smart pick. Starting ILB then if something happens to either Brooks or Barwin he could move to OLB & Sharpton could take over inside. Not to mention multiple looks with different blitz packages especially inside as well outside. With the money paid to these players with cap constraints its a good idea to have the versatility to cover a multitude of positions, the more you can play the more valueable you are to your team.

Completely agree here. Would not complain at all with a Hightower pick up I don't think. About to watch some clips. Brb.

Wolf6151 03-28-2012 01:52 AM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1927294)
This is why Hightower would be a smart pick. Starting ILB then if something happens to either Brooks or Barwin he could move to OLB & Sharpton could take over inside. Not to mention multiple looks with different blitz packages especially inside as well outside. With the money paid to these players with cap constraints its a good idea to have the versatility to cover a multitude of positions, the more you can play the more valueable you are to your team.

I actually like Hightower at ILB more than OLB but I have a problem with him on the Texans roster at both positions. First at OLB he'd be depth behind Reed and wouldn't get much playing time. I don't see the Texans picking a depth player in the 1st round who will only see a couple series per game to spell Reed for a breather. At ILB I think he'd be in the same situation as Demeco was, a good player who comes off the field every time we go into nickle or dime formations and thus is only on the field in about 50% of the defensive snaps. I don't think the Texans want to spend a 1st round pick on creating the same problem they just traded away. Since the ILB player will come off the field so often in this pass happy league, then I think they'll use a 3rd or 4th round pick. I also don't think Hightower makes it past Pittsburgh in the 1st round, they're drooling over him.

Lucky 03-28-2012 02:59 AM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 1926854)
I like Bruce Irvin at the end of the second round...

I think he'd be a good compliment to what we have...

I like a bunch of the OLB's though, but I think some of them will go earlier than expected and there really isn't one that I like at #26

The more I look at 3-4 OLB in this draft, the less I like the position. I don't see any top flight pass rushers in this group. No Orakpos or Aldon Smiths. The pass rusher with the most potential is Irvin. But he is raw with all sorts of red flags. The Texans already have an Irvin type player in Braman.

I like Ronnell Lewis as a football player, but he is limited as strictly a speed rusher and may be too small to play every down in the 3-4 base. I wouldn't want the Texans to take an OLB in the first 2 days of this draft. In the 4th round, there should still be guys available that are worth taking a chance on.

Wolf6151 03-28-2012 03:17 AM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 1927381)
The more I look at 3-4 OLB in this draft, the less I like the position. I don't see any top flight pass rushers in this group. No Orakpos or Aldon Smiths. The pass rusher with the most potential is Irvin. But he is raw with all sorts of red flags. The Texans already have an Irvin type player in Braman.

I like Ronnell Lewis as a football player, but he is limited as strictly a speed rusher and may be too small to play every down in the 3-4 base. I wouldn't want the Texans to take an OLB in the first 2 days of this draft. In the 4th round, there should still be guys available that are worth taking a chance on.

I agree with this. Overall I think the 2012 draft is a poor one in terms of pass rushers be it 3-4 or 4-3, it's just not a good year. Any OLB we take will be a depth player so I agree, no OLB depth until the third day of the draft, probably the 4th round.

SW H-TOWN 03-28-2012 10:06 PM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 1927381)
The more I look at 3-4 OLB in this draft, the less I like the position. I don't see any top flight pass rushers in this group. No Orakpos or Aldon Smiths. The pass rusher with the most potential is Irvin. But he is raw with all sorts of red flags. The Texans already have an Irvin type player in Braman.

I like Ronnell Lewis as a football player, but he is limited as strictly a speed rusher and may be too small to play every down in the 3-4 base. I wouldn't want the Texans to take an OLB in the first 2 days of this draft. In the 4th round, there should still be guys available that are worth taking a chance on.

That is just about the same thing I think. The only guy I look at and think he has a chance to be a 10+ sack guy is Marcellus Whitney and he has not put 2 good years together. Bruce Irvin does not seem like a 3 down player at this point and time and he likes to destroy signs at Jimmy John's Sandwich Shop a day after his pro day. That to me is about like a guy who can't stop smoking weed before the biggest job interview of his life when he knows he will have to pee in a cup. Not at all impressed with this class of rush linebackers.

Rey 03-29-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 1927381)
The more I look at 3-4 OLB in this draft, the less I like the position. I don't see any top flight pass rushers in this group. No Orakpos or Aldon Smiths. The pass rusher with the most potential is Irvin. But he is raw with all sorts of red flags. The Texans already have an Irvin type player in Braman.

I like Ronnell Lewis as a football player, but he is limited as strictly a speed rusher and may be too small to play every down in the 3-4 base. I wouldn't want the Texans to take an OLB in the first 2 days of this draft. In the 4th round, there should still be guys available that are worth taking a chance on.

I agree with all of that. Though I really like the potential of a few guys like Irvin and Lewis.

I like the specialized skills they bring. Irvin would give us great speed rushing the passer and Lewis would bring a toughness.

Plus they have the potential to blossom outside of their specialty areas.

But you are right, both would be somewhat of risks in their own way.

beerlover 03-29-2012 02:43 AM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1927375)
I actually like Hightower at ILB more than OLB but I have a problem with him on the Texans roster at both positions. First at OLB he'd be depth behind Reed and wouldn't get much playing time. I don't see the Texans picking a depth player in the 1st round who will only see a couple series per game to spell Reed for a breather. At ILB I think he'd be in the same situation as Demeco was, a good player who comes off the field every time we go into nickle or dime formations and thus is only on the field in about 50% of the defensive snaps. I don't think the Texans want to spend a 1st round pick on creating the same problem they just traded away. Since the ILB player will come off the field so often in this pass happy league, then I think they'll use a 3rd or 4th round pick. I also don't think Hightower makes it past Pittsburgh in the 1st round, they're drooling over him.

no doubt ILB 1st OLB 2nd but it's a luxury to have quality back-up just in case.

depends doesn't it on down & distance? 50% is a little under-rated more like about 75% with 25% rest & recuperation.

DeMeco came off the field as much because he was physically unable, the stronger he got towards end of season less he came out. Had a lot to do with a number of issues.

Pittsburgh also covets a OT & it is a bigger hole to fill.

Insideop 03-29-2012 06:02 AM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1928069)
no doubt ILB 1st OLB 2nd but it's a luxury to have quality back-up just in case.

depends doesn't it on down & distance? 50% is a little under-rated more like about 75% with 25% rest & recuperation.

DeMeco came off the field as much because he was physically unable, the stronger he got towards end of season less he came out. Had a lot to do with a number of issues.

Pittsburgh also covets a OT & it is a bigger hole to fill.

It may be a bigger hole to fill but what OT's will be on the board at their pick (#24)? They may not have any of them graded as high as Hightower. Also, it doesn't look like a very deep draft for ILBers and after Hightower there will be a drop off with only Kendricks, Johnson, and Cole to really choose from. And , there's no one with Hightower's size and ability. As for OT's, they can find someone to fill that hole in later rounds.

Don't get me wrong, if Hightower is there, I think they'd be crazy not to take him, but I just don't think he will be there.

El Tejano 03-29-2012 09:08 AM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
That's why there will be nothing wrong with getting an OLB in the 3rd or that early 4th rounder we got from Philly.

steelbtexan 03-29-2012 09:54 AM

Re: OLB and the Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1927297)
I think Texans have used a policy of selecting players who can play more than one position and Hightower can do that.

This is why I could see McClellin or Wagner as the 2nd rd pick. They are much better values than Hightower or Perry in the 1st. IMHO

I'm thinking McClellin may go to the Packers in the 1st though. He would make a great bookend to Matthews. I would be for using a 4/5th to trade up for McClellin in the 2nd. He fits what the Texans front 7 is all about. (intensity) McClellin can play Ryans spot as well as rush the passer off the edge.

Wagner can do many of the same things, but is not Quite as good off the edge. Both of these guys are well worth 2nd rd picks. IMHO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger