Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90704)

TimeKiller 03-23-2012 03:27 PM

TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock
 
I've probably put together about 300 mocks since my last post and this one. I know the draft is an ever-changing shape-shifting daemon but lately I just haven't been able to fit it all together. I figured, I've got a couple interesting takes and maybe what I need to do is put it out there, let it get ripped to shreds and then I can move on...

SO


1 Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State
6' 5-5/8", 320 lbs., 10 7/8" hands, 35" arms, 28 bench press reps

Very well built athlete, excellent frame for the position with top notch intangibles. Like with Duane Brown, people will cry reach but the offense gets the OL upgrade it desperately needs. Immediately adds depth as the swing OT but will probably split time with Butler until he takes over, much like Brown split time his rookie season. Good pass protector and able to hit blocks up front or on the second level.

2 Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia
6' 3", 245 lbs., 4.45-40, 6.71 3-cone, 10'3" broad jump

This guy has "can't teach that" and the Texans have one of the premier teachers of defense. I believe he starts as a backup to both Barwin and Reed but will force the coaches to put him on as a situational rusher due to his lightning quick feet. This guy really might be a homerun, a grand slam if he can learn a role on the edge but will have to improve run defense to earn starter's minutes. This guy absolutely will put the fear into OTs and QBs on 3rd downs though, his highlight reel is like DAMN. Dude is that fast, even if you don't like the pick or want the player, watch his highlights. Flat out embarasses blockers and puts pressure on QBs immediately. And then you'll agree with me lol...

3 Chris Givens, WR, Wake Forest
5' 11-1/8", 198 lbs. 4.40-40, 19 bench reps, 6.99 3-cone

Solid but average build with good athleticism, good hands and productive college career. Will begin as the 3rd/slot receiver and may develop into a #2 down the line. Kickoff return experience to boot. Good speed to catch and turn, create seperation on short routes but cannot threaten over the top. Will have to step up his blocking but will immediately improve 3 WR sets.

4a Lucas Nix, OG, Pittsburgh
6' 5-1/4", 317 lbs.

Nothing particularly special physically but is an all-out-effort blocker capable of working up to LBers who has bad intentions for anyone in different colored jerseys. Sounds a lot like the guy who just made 20 mil the Ray-duuuuzzz...

4b Keshawn Martin, WR/PR, Michigan State
5' 11-1/2", 188 lbs., 4.43-40, 39 1/2" vertical, 6.88 3-cone

Explosive and agile athlete able to create seperation, make the catch and be a danger from anywhere on the field. Very raw with loads of potential as a WR, huge upside but immediately starts as a huge threat returning punts.

5 DeQuan Menzie, SS/CB, Alabama
5' 10-3/4", 202 lbs., 4.61-40, 6.93 3-cone

Less heralded member of Alabama's vaunted defense, a bit of a utility man for the secondary. Probably more natural fit as a S, to backup Quin/Manning but showed he was able to slide down to nickel corner and press, cover, be a tough run supporter and good blitzer. Excellent late round value.

6 Vaughn Meatoga, DT, Hawaii
6' 1-1/8", 294 lbs., 4.98-40, 27 bench reps, 7.11 3-cone

Strong, quick footed and good motor combined with his natural leverage make him a perfect candidate for Wade's 1-gapping DT method.

7 Shawn Loiseau, ILB, Merrimack (Mass.)
6' 1-1/2", 244 lbs., 4.76-40

Football mentality in spades, good straight line speed but may be limited to run stopping/special teams role.


I think Sanders and Nix fit the ZBS well and will be the right side of the OL for years to come. Irvin is a toy for Wade, dude has disgusting physical ability and time to learn here. Givens is becoming a regular on my mocks, I think he gets pushed back a little by the fact that there are so many big bodied WR this year but while he's nothing flashy, he's a prospect with a lot of good qualities to match up with Kubiak's offense. Martin is a hella PR (replacing Jones) with upside at WR to boot, another under the radar type. Menzie will be to the secondary what James Casey is to the offensive backfield. Meatoga is my diamond in the rough, I really think he fits Wade's vision and could be an excellent rotation player. Loiseau is more of a special teams pick than anything, think Zac Diles with fire for hair.

I think I covered needs pretty well, I got the OL upgrade, got a couple WR, adressed Mario leaving, upgraded depth on DL, ILB and DB, even upgraded special teams. Would've liked to grab a FB and a kicker will undoubtedly be picked up UDFA but I think I hit a fair amount with good selections.

WHAT SAY YOU?!?!

badboy 03-23-2012 08:53 PM

Re: TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock
 
Sorry TK cannot get behind any of these picks and I don't think I've ever said that about an entire mock. OT is not prime need in first and in every other round there are much better players imo. I do recognise the work involved.

Rey 03-24-2012 12:10 AM

I dont like sanders in the first. I have watched a little more of Irving and I really like him as a player. He would bring an edge and some speed to the defense. He'd look awfully nice in a rotation with reed and barwin.

I've been meaning to look closer at nix. I'm meh on the rest of the picks. Don't hate, can't say I love em...some simply because I just don't know much about 'em.

TimeKiller 03-24-2012 01:09 AM

Re: TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1925069)
Sorry TK cannot get behind any of these picks and I don't think I've ever said that about an entire mock. OT is not prime need in first and in every other round there are much better players imo. I do recognise the work involved.

Not drafting for need!

I'm going for guys I think will do well in our systems. OT may not be a need but this guy is available and will strengthen the team, building pass protection with high investments is a good strategy and as much as I like Butler, he's hardly a sure thing.

I guess if all you can muster out is you think there are better players in every round then I'd should ask, "who?" Do you disagree with any position taken or just players? Who would've been better in what round?

TimeKiller 03-24-2012 01:09 AM

Re: TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1925069)
Sorry TK cannot get behind any of these picks and I don't think I've ever said that about an entire mock. OT is not prime need in first and in every other round there are much better players imo. I do recognise the work involved.

Not drafting for need!

I'm going for guys I think will do well in our systems. OT may not be a need but this guy is available and will strengthen the team, building pass protection with high investments is a good strategy and as much as I like Butler, he's hardly a sure thing.

I guess if all you can muster out is you think there are better players in every round then I'd should ask, "who?" Do you disagree with any position taken or just players? Who would've been better in what round?

SW H-TOWN 03-24-2012 01:48 AM

Re: TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock
 
Bruce Irvin is good but he got arrested a day after his pro day for breaking a sign at a Jimmy John's sandwich shop. You just can't make this stuff up. Way to go Bruce :wadepalm:

TimeKiller 03-24-2012 11:28 AM

Re: TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock
 
Well that's certainly discouraging but I don't think the Texans run quite the choir boy team anymore. Stupid thing to do though, I'm sure there is more to the story but I don't think it's enough to drop him out of consideration. His physical ability is just too much to ignore, he's Von Miller with less experience.

I know one thing, I ripped rmartin's mock for having too many character concerns but I'm starting to change my mind on Alshon Jeffery at 26. You just can't watch his highlight reel without being impressed. Maybe pick him up first and go for Brandon Mosley in the 3rd.

I think you guys need to do some research on Keyshawn Martin. He will be an impact player from the get go as a PR and a utility knife on offense, just get him some space and he's a threat.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...el-Worthy.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRQ82s4YHJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQWaP...eature=related

WolverineFan 03-24-2012 01:10 PM

Re: TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock
 
Not a fan of the Sanders pick at all. While I like him as a swing tackle and potential future starter, he's a 2nd round prospect at best. Seems like a waste of a 1st to take him.

As for Irvin, not really sure about him. Has great measurables, but his production leaves something to be desired. Also seems to be a headcase. I would consider him a 3rd round prospect, so again this seems like a reach.

I like Givens, but he would not be an immediate upgrade over Walter or Jacoby, which is what I think we're looking for.

I'm not big on Nix, but I don't dislike him. I agree that he's a lot like Brisiel.

Not a Martin fan. Looks a lot like Jacoby. Not an NFL WR, IMO. Seems like more of a KR and then a slot guy. I don't see the point of adding him if you've already taken Givens.

Not a big Menzie fan, but here it's good value. I definitely don't see him as a starting CB. The Casey comparison is good as far as versatility, but I don't see him as a starter. Think he could be a Nickel Safety or something like that.

Good pick with Meatoga. Looks like he could be a solid rotational player in the league.

Can't hate on the 7th round pick especially since we need ILB depth.

All in all, there's some good players here. But as a whole I would not be a fan of this draft. A couple of reaches at the top kind of ruin it. Kind of a "what could have been" scenario.

thunderkyss 03-24-2012 03:38 PM

Re: TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeKiller (Post 1924918)
I figured, I've got a couple interesting takes and maybe what I need to do is put it out there, let it get ripped to shreds and then I can move on...

WHAT SAY YOU?!?!

I honestly enjoyed it, especially your commentary & player breakdown.

I was getting ready to post a Rick Flare, "Whooooo" I liked it so much.

TimeKiller 03-24-2012 07:37 PM

Re: TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WolverineFan (Post 1925313)
Not a fan of the Sanders pick at all. While I like him as a swing tackle and potential future starter, he's a 2nd round prospect at best. Seems like a waste of a 1st to take him.

Somewhat agree, 1st round body with 2nd round talent. I DO believe he would fit our scheme perfectly.

I don't mind anybody saying this is a reach but honestly, pick somebody, anybody at 26. Anybody. Got your pick? Ok.

You probably just reached for a guy. IMO there are about 20 no brainer 1st rounders...and then there are about 50 guys in a wash who you could find a way to rip out of the 1st round or build him up into the 1st round. Seriously, trading back is the way to go, the bottom of the first til about the early/mid 3rd have comparable talent.

Quote:

As for Irvin, not really sure about him. Has great measurables, but his production leaves something to be desired. Also seems to be a headcase. I would consider him a 3rd round prospect, so again this seems like a reach.
He might be there 3rd round, if there was any garauntee for that I would slot him down one but I don't think a guy with his elite athleticism falls that far.
Quote:

I like Givens, but he would not be an immediate upgrade over Walter or Jacoby, which is what I think we're looking for.

I'm not big on Nix, but I don't dislike him. I agree that he's a lot like Brisiel.

Not a Martin fan. Looks a lot like Jacoby. Not an NFL WR, IMO. Seems like more of a KR and then a slot guy. I don't see the point of adding him if you've already taken Givens.
Disagree on Givens, I think he takes over Jones' spot immediately. Martin IS a PR first and foremost but I don't think Walter is going anywhere unless they pick a WR 1st. Like I said, I could stand selecting Jeffery 1st and picking up Mosley instead of Givens but I really think Martin has good spacial ball handling ability and upside yet to be seen as a WR. He didn't play at a small school either...
Quote:

Not a big Menzie fan, but here it's good value. I definitely don't see him as a starting CB. The Casey comparison is good as far as versatility, but I don't see him as a starter. Think he could be a Nickel Safety or something like that.
Safety depth, someone to look at for nickel who is perhaps a bit underrated due to other players on 'Bama's D being bigger names. Somewhat like Glover Quin. Can't underestimate his being an SEC defender either.
Quote:

Good pick with Meatoga. Looks like he could be a solid rotational player in the league.
I think he's fairly comparable to Mike Martin for much less of a price.
Quote:

Can't hate on the 7th round pick especially since we need ILB depth.

All in all, there's some good players here. But as a whole I would not be a fan of this draft. A couple of reaches at the top kind of ruin it. Kind of a "what could have been" scenario.
ILB is NOT very deep this year!

Thanks for the comments man!

TimeKiller 03-24-2012 07:40 PM

Re: TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 1925372)
I honestly enjoyed it, especially your commentary & player breakdown.

I was getting ready to post a Rick Flare, "Whooooo" I liked it so much.

Hahahaha it's not THAT good, I'm somewhere in between trying to be different and figuring out the Texans' strategies/preferences.

Dude, your JJ avatar makes me feel bad...lol...I'm trying my hardest to replace him here!!!

TimeKiller 04-02-2012 05:43 PM

Re: TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock
 
1- Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
5' 10-1/4", 196 lbs., 4.44-40, 6.94 3-cone

Playmaker from anywhere on the field, explosive speed and agile enough to shake defenders picking up yards after catch. Catches the ball naturally with his hands. A dynamic threat to open up and give a spark to the offense, a legit option opposite AJ, with speed to push secondaries farther away from Foster and reliability/flexibility to be a safety blanket for Schaub, keeping him upright. Must pick up blocking to completely overtake Walter but he's a spark plug this offense is needing.

2- Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn
6'5-1/2", 311 lbs., 10-5/8" hands, 5.16-40, 30 BP, 7.45 3-cone

Big man, TE convert with plus athleticism, hard working pass protector with lots of potential. Good blocker's disposition. Will push Butler and overtake his spot by year's end when he gets a feel for the zone runs. I feel this a small reach but necessary to get the OT I covet AND get help somewhere else in the 3rd.

3- Travis Lewis, ILB, Oklahoma
6' 1-3/8", 246 lbs., 4.77-40, 26 BP, 10' broad jump

Athletic and instinctive with decent coverage skills, gap shooting ability and good tackling. Needs to improve shedding blocks but a solid player to stick inside.

4a- Lucas Nix, OG, Pittsburgh
6'5'' 318 lbs.

Brisiel v.2

4b- Jonathan Massaquoi, DE/OLB, Troy
6' 2-1/8" 264 lbs., 10-1/2" hands, 4.76-40

Athletic with long arms and burst off the snap but needs time to develop game, develop strength and develop a better attitude. Flyer on an athlete.

5- DeQuan Menzie, DB, Alabama

Quin v.2

To be honest I don't really know why this guy is rated so low. Speed maybe, he really is a DB without a true position, I guess that's a negative but I see it as a way to get more creative with packages/coverages.

6- Emil Igwenagu, H-back/FB, Massachusetts

Flyer on an athlete who could serve several purposes on this offense. Small school but lots of potential catching the ball out of the backfield.

7- Vaughn Meatoga, DT, Hawaii

I think the difference between him and Mike Martin is that Martin played at Michigan, Meatoga played in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Oh and about 4 rounds lol...


I think this is a better mock. I've picked apart about every possibility in the 1st and none of them seem like hits. Wright would probably have to fall by a few picks to make it to the Texans but I'm sick of living in reality! Here's to dreaming for once.
I think I hit the big needs AND addressed depth appropriately this time. Again, WHAT SAY YOU?!?!

Insideop 04-03-2012 10:08 AM

Re: TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeKiller (Post 1930290)
1- Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
5' 10-1/4", 196 lbs., 4.44-40, 6.94 3-cone

Playmaker from anywhere on the field, explosive speed and agile enough to shake defenders picking up yards after catch. Catches the ball naturally with his hands. A dynamic threat to open up and give a spark to the offense, a legit option opposite AJ, with speed to push secondaries farther away from Foster and reliability/flexibility to be a safety blanket for Schaub, keeping him upright. Must pick up blocking to completely overtake Walter but he's a spark plug this offense is needing.

2- Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn
6'5-1/2", 311 lbs., 10-5/8" hands, 5.16-40, 30 BP, 7.45 3-cone

Big man, TE convert with plus athleticism, hard working pass protector with lots of potential. Good blocker's disposition. Will push Butler and overtake his spot by year's end when he gets a feel for the zone runs. I feel this a small reach but necessary to get the OT I covet AND get help somewhere else in the 3rd.

3- Travis Lewis, ILB, Oklahoma
6' 1-3/8", 246 lbs., 4.77-40, 26 BP, 10' broad jump

Athletic and instinctive with decent coverage skills, gap shooting ability and good tackling. Needs to improve shedding blocks but a solid player to stick inside.

4a- Lucas Nix, OG, Pittsburgh
6'5'' 318 lbs.

Brisiel v.2

4b- Jonathan Massaquoi, DE/OLB, Troy
6' 2-1/8" 264 lbs., 10-1/2" hands, 4.76-40

Athletic with long arms and burst off the snap but needs time to develop game, develop strength and develop a better attitude. Flyer on an athlete.

5- DeQuan Menzie, DB, Alabama

Quin v.2

To be honest I don't really know why this guy is rated so low. Speed maybe, he really is a DB without a true position
, I guess that's a negative but I see it as a way to get more creative with packages/coverages.

6- Emil Igwenagu, H-back/FB, Massachusetts

Flyer on an athlete who could serve several purposes on this offense. Small school but lots of potential catching the ball out of the backfield.

7- Vaughn Meatoga, DT, Hawaii

I think the difference between him and Mike Martin is that Martin played at Michigan, Meatoga played in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Oh and about 4 rounds lol...


I think this is a better mock. I've picked apart about every possibility in the 1st and none of them seem like hits. Wright would probably have to fall by a few picks to make it to the Texans but I'm sick of living in reality! Here's to dreaming for once.
I think I hit the big needs AND addressed depth appropriately this time. Again, WHAT SAY YOU?!?!


Still not sold on Wright in the 1st. If he's there it'll be interesting to see if the Texans pick him, or pass, and pick another WR or another position.

I like Mosley too, but you're right, it is a bit of a reach. If they go OT in the 2nd, it may be Schwartz instead.

Not up on your 3 and 4a picks that much to make a comment.

4b thru 7 could turn out to be good picks, though Massaquoi seems to have a high ceiling or high bust potential. But, I guess that's true about most 3rd day picks anyway.

On a side note, don't know if you've seen this article, http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/02/c...content_stream, but they talk a little about Menzie and where he fits. Sounds like a good pick if the Texans take him.

Overall, good job! Would be OK with it if it fell this way.

TimeKiller 04-03-2012 05:29 PM

Re: TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock
 
The 1st pick is just so wide open IMO, it makes it a little more difficult to steer a path through the rest of the rounds. There isn't really a clear choice.

I think Mosley has upside over Schwartz, definitely a more gifted athlete.

Travis Lewis is where I hit the curb a little. Trying to shake it up and I really wanted to keep Keyshawn Martin (who is also mentioned in your link) but that got nailed. He's got solid game but only a mild upgrade over Sharpton.

1- BPA (Ha!)
2- Bruce Irvin- if I'm gonna roll the dice, may as well roll 'em.
3- Mosley- I'd be nervous to wait this long but hey, we all have opinions.
4a- Lucas Nix-
4b- Keyshawn Martin- PR/Slot
5- Dequan Menzie- DB
6- Emil Igwenagu- H-back/FB
7- Vaughn Meatoga- DT

I think that's exactly what I would if I were GM. Mock, complete.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger