Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Houston 1st Round Selection Poll (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90218)

kiwitexansfan 03-06-2012 08:29 PM

Houston 1st Round Selection Poll

This is a poll to decide the Texans first round pick in the TexansTalk mock draft.

All players suggested at the time of the making of this poll are included as options.

You can pick multiple players if there is more than one you are jonesing for, that way we get the pick most people can live with.

Brandon420tx 03-06-2012 08:35 PM

Re: Houston 1st Round Selection Poll

Can you limit it to 3 picks? That'd be cool

kiwitexansfan 03-06-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon420tx (Post 1910564)
Can you limit it to 3 picks? That'd be cool

Doesn't have the functionality, not sure people will go too crazy with picks, most people will only go the one.

Doppelganger 03-06-2012 08:46 PM

Konz is a no brainer pick. He is easily the best OC in the draft by a wide margin. He is the kind of Center Htown needs: good feet, good lateral movement, but strong enough to take on the big NTs/DTs of the world. He could step in and be a 10+ year starter in the NFL. If the Texans are serious about being a team not just for the present, but the future, they must have a dominant OL. Konz is a big nasty Center that would bring the attitude this OL needs.

All the other players are solid or good, but none of them are elite. Konz is that guy.

JCTexan 03-06-2012 08:51 PM

I voted Peter Konz. Even if Myers and Brisiel return it doesn't hurt to have a good backup C/G to groom into the starting role.

Shaft75 03-06-2012 09:06 PM

vote stephen hill 2012

TexCanada 03-06-2012 09:15 PM

Plenty of votes for a WR, but the votes being split between the two options could result in a C being picked.

TexansSeminole 03-06-2012 09:27 PM

Barron would be a fantastic pick as he could be a quality, quality backup SS and special teamer for now. He could take over at SS when we get rid of Manning and Quin could play FS. Not that big of a transition for a guy like Quin to move from SS to FS.

EVOLVIST 03-06-2012 09:40 PM

I'm taking Nick Perry at #26. Mario Williams won't be around and we need that depth at OLB - a pure pass rushing OLB who is also versatile enough with the size and moves to play DE.

My problem with a WR in the 1st round is that this draft is very deep at WR. It's almost disgusting, compared to the last few years. And since we need one (or a few and/or a nice FA signing), it would be pointless to get a "sure thing" in Round 1.

Konz? Why take an automatic starter when Chris Meyers will be your center next year? Yes, Konz is all that, but with Meyers on the line and if you want someone to groom, that would be David Molk (who could also arguably start).

If the Texans don't lock up Meyers, then yes, you seriously consider taking Konz and then shooting for an OLB like Bruce Irvin a little further down the line.

Playoffs 03-06-2012 09:51 PM

Nick or Whitney out of those...

Shaft75 03-06-2012 10:25 PM

Pretty good response already with 21 votes. Looks like Randle/Konz/Hill are jockeying for the selection.

Without Mario in the mix I see us locking up our two FA OL. I think we should be choosing who will be our #2 WR for years to come. Hill is the man. I know Randle is a quality player, but I think Hill has the higher ceiling. Plus, I've just never been fond of LSU wr's.

Dutchrudder 03-06-2012 10:32 PM

In the future, I suggest we do a positional vote first, then runoff for the 2/3 or whatever guys available. Make it like:

Safety: Mark Barron
D line: Jerel Worthy, Nick Perry, Alfred Ta'amu, Whitney Mercilus
WR: Reuben Randle, Stephen Hill
O-line: Peter Konz, Zebrie Sanders
QB: Ryan Tannehill, Nick Foles

Single vote only. I think that would be best so we don't have so much split over one position.

In any case, I vote for Stephen Hill this round.

Dutchrudder 03-06-2012 10:44 PM

Also, the poll needs to be public so we don't get a bunch of random people like Norg's voting on it. There are 30 people participating in the mock, and there are 39 votes already.

WolverineFan 03-06-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaft75 (Post 1910656)
Pretty good response already with 21 votes. Looks like Randle/Konz/Hill are jockeying for the selection.

Without Mario in the mix I see us locking up our two FA OL. I think we should be choosing who will be our #2 WR for years to come. Hill is the man. I know Randle is a quality player, but I think Hill has the higher ceiling. Plus, I've just never been fond of LSU wr's.

Hill does have the higher ceiling, but what many people are continuing to ignore is that Randle is the guy ready to play right now. If #2 WR is an immediate need then you take Randle because he can contribute right away. If you're looking for a future contributor (or project) then you take Hill.

I just don't see how Stephen Hill makes the Texans better in 2012.

Dutchrudder 03-06-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolverineFan (Post 1910663)
Hill does have the higher ceiling, but what many people are continuing to ignore is that Randle is the guy ready to play right now. If #2 WR is an immediate need then you take Randle because he can contribute right away. If you're looking for a future contributor (or project) then you take Hill.

I just don't see how Stephen Hill makes the Texans better in 2012.

That's what they said about Kareem Jackson.... :smiliepalm:

beerlover 03-06-2012 10:55 PM

I voted but don't feel it's right to make Texans a group pick especially with 31 other competing GM's. I always looked forward to some brave soul or crazy Texan fan, shouldering the weight of everyone here hope & aspirations. Lots of pressure, yeah they usually get it wrong but taking a stand for the masses is both an honor & privilege.

With this said, if I where Rick Smith as of now, it's gonna be Stephen Hill. He fits niche need with pieces around him & he's coachable. However, if Myers cannot be resigned then Center becomes a priority & Konz should be considered.

bah007 03-06-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1910665)
I voted but don't feel it's right to make Texans a group pick especially with 31 other competing GM's. I always looked forward to some brave soul or crazy Texan fan, shouldering the weight of everyone here hope & aspirations. Lots of pressure, yeah they usually get it wrong but taking a stand for the masses is both an honor & privilege.

With this said, if I where Rick Smith as of now, it's gonna be Stephen Hill. He fits niche need with pieces around him & he's coachable. However, if Myers cannot be resigned then Center becomes a priority & Konz should be considered.

I actually don't mind taking over the Texans if everybody would be okay with it.

I thought I would be too busy to participate this year so I never threw my hat into the ring when teams were picked. Things have changed though and I would be happy to take over a team if need be.

WolverineFan 03-06-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 1910664)
That's what they said about Kareem Jackson.... :smiliepalm:

I don't know if you realize this, but Jackson has panned out better than most the CB's in that draft. Only Haden has started more games and McCourty is the only other CB that is considered a starter, though he splits time at FS because he's struggled in NE. Wilson and Robinson are both backups.

kiwitexansfan 03-06-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 1910666)
I actually don't mind taking over the Texans if everybody would be okay with it.

I thought I would be too busy to participate this year so I never threw my hat into the ring when teams were picked. Things have changed though and I would be happy to take over a team if need be.

I would prefer the Texans be a single person, not group pick.

steelbtexan 03-06-2012 11:12 PM

I read somewhere Hill is now projcted to go top 25 after Ga. Tech pro day.

The poll has brought the mock to a stop for 12 hrs. When it had great momentum going. That's my only problem. Maybe we can do a quick majority members vote in the future.