Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texan Tailgate (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90193)

Texans_Chick 03-05-2012 02:04 PM

Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom
 
Are you a super fan? Dress up fan? Message Board owner/poster. Tailgater extraordinaire? Blogger type person? Have insomnia and like to read longish things?

I put this here instead of at NBA because really the issues have more to do with being a big sports fan and not NBA things.

This is a legal discussion I put together with a buddy of mine about the Clipper Darrell situation. Basically, the Clippers took issue with him doing interviews without consulting them and making appearances as Clipper Darrell. They didn't want him to use the Clipper name in his commercial endeavors. He was crushed by this and wrote a blog post. Then they put the hammer down and said he didn't conduct himself in an honorable way and that he wasn't an actual fan. Very scathing stuff.

Most teams want to encourage their fans to become evangelicals of their brand. The Clippers denied credentials to B/R to do video on Clipper Darrell because they saw no benefit to the team.

Here's the link.


Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom


The short version is be a super fan, but be careful about being perceived as monetizing your fandom. Hard to draw lines with this stuff. Oh, and don't root for the Clippers because their owner is gross. (DO NOT READ THIS).

Yankee_In_TX 03-05-2012 02:23 PM

Re: Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom
 
Interesting blog. I know several NFL Super Fans that receive monetary gain as their super fan persona and have names that would be similar to:

-Bullpen Ryan
-Texans Ryan

In hindsight, somewhat surprised the teams have never cracked down on them.

Texans_Chick 03-05-2012 04:10 PM

Re: Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX (Post 1909658)
Interesting blog. I know several NFL Super Fans that receive monetary gain as their super fan persona and have names that would be similar to:

-Bullpen Ryan
-Texans Ryan

In hindsight, somewhat surprised the teams have never cracked down on them.

I think that smart brands cannot have enough fans, i.e. vested individuals, supporting their team. Authentic supporters of a brand can do more to provide positive advertising than if they bought ads.

Unless a fan is being particularly in their face about using the team commercially, I think they will generally be ok about things.

The future of brand and team fandom in the Web 2.0 world is engagement and identity. They want fans to see themselves as Teamname Guy.

Texan_Bill 03-05-2012 06:54 PM

Re: Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texans_Chick (Post 1909710)
I think that smart brands cannot have enough fans, i.e. vested individuals, supporting their team. Authentic supporters of a brand can do more to provide positive advertising than if they bought ads.

Unless a fan is being particularly in their face about using the team commercially, I think they will generally be ok about things.

The future of brand and team fandom in the Web 2.0 world is engagement and identity. They want fans to see themselves as Teamname Guy.

Well, unless were talking about Joe Texan. Otherwise, I agree with your point. ;)

Texans_Chick 03-06-2012 10:37 AM

Re: Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom
 
Bill, you are a bad bad mans.

You are also hilarious.

badboy 03-06-2012 10:54 AM

Re: Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom
 
MINE! This is mine and that is mine and that over there is mine too! I thought I found something once that was not mine but it turned out to be mine also.
And if you read my post don't take it with you in your mind because it is MINE!

Yankee_In_TX 03-08-2012 01:00 PM

Re: Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texans_Chick (Post 1909710)
I think that smart brands cannot have enough fans, i.e. vested individuals, supporting their team. Authentic supporters of a brand can do more to provide positive advertising than if they bought ads.

Unless a fan is being particularly in their face about using the team commercially, I think they will generally be ok about things.

The future of brand and team fandom in the Web 2.0 world is engagement and identity. They want fans to see themselves as Teamname Guy.

I 100% agree - but I mean, let's say I host an event, with a player, making $ for me and the player, hosted by 'Bullpen Ryan' or 'Texans Ryan.' I know folks like that an am surprised, not that I think about it, that they have not gotten nasty letters from their respective teams.

Dread-Head 03-08-2012 02:43 PM

Re: Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 1909815)
Well, unless were talking about Joe Texan. Otherwise, I agree with your point. ;)

:thinking:...or Texan Bill or sumthin'.

Texan_Bill 03-08-2012 05:37 PM

Re: Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dread-Head (Post 1911761)
:thinking:...or Texan Bill or sumthin'.

But I'm an ASSet to the team.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger