Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   La Canfora: Texans on the rise (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90120)

b0ng 03-01-2012 11:23 AM

La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...1-f91f609c3dd5

it's a video so no description available.

Vinny 03-01-2012 11:25 AM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
I just tweeted that. :) I think the media is going to slobber all over us next season. When are the National TV dates out?

b0ng 03-01-2012 11:28 AM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 1907526)
I just tweeted that. :) I think the media is going to slobber all over us next season. When are the National TV dates out?

I thought those came out with the schedule in a few months.

Allstar 03-01-2012 11:51 AM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ng (Post 1907528)
I thought those came out with the schedule in a few months.

I think the schedule comes out before the draft next month.

MistaRed 03-01-2012 11:57 AM

Can't wait for the schedule release next month. We'll see how much we're really on the rise.

GuerillaBlack 03-01-2012 01:01 PM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
Getting so close. It's March 1st now.

(semi srs)

IDEXAN 03-01-2012 01:13 PM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
I think we will be scheduled in a minimum of 4 PT games this fall.

badboy 03-01-2012 01:16 PM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
Line 'em up. Knock 'em down.

Hardcore Texan 03-01-2012 01:20 PM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
Something else is on the rise. The sports media's chubby for all things Houston Texans.

Playoffs 03-01-2012 01:37 PM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
Interesting take from Jason that we're only one year away from having enough cap room to keep Mario & everyone else...

ThaShark316 03-01-2012 02:07 PM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 1907631)
Interesting take from Jason that we're only one year away from having enough cap room to keep Mario & everyone else...

Yup. That cap is going to SKYROCKET. We're about to head back, in a way, to how it used to be in the 90s when everyone good pretty much stayed good, until they got old.

welsh texan 03-01-2012 02:15 PM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaShark316 (Post 1907658)
Yup. That cap is going to SKYROCKET. We're about to head back, in a way, to how it used to be in the 90s when everyone good pretty much stayed good, until they got old.

Indeed, it would be really nice if we could find a way to get one or two of these guys to play for sweet FA next season in return for them getting paid bigtime next season onwards.

Given the way the money game is played in the league though, as well as the injury possibilities, its understandable that they might not want to.

ChampionTexan 03-01-2012 02:36 PM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistared (Post 1907551)
can't wait for the actual games next season. We'll see how much we're really on the rise.

fify

run-david-run 03-01-2012 08:20 PM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by welsh texan (Post 1907661)
Indeed, it would be really nice if we could find a way to get one or two of these guys to play for sweet FA next season in return for them getting paid bigtime next season onwards.

Given the way the money game is played in the league though, as well as the injury possibilities, its understandable that they might not want to.

They could do that with Foster if they sign him to a tender, as he's an restricted free agent. Of course, you lose the risk of a team offering him a big deal and being willing to give up the draft picks to get him...

markn 03-01-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by run-david-run (Post 1907881)
They could do that with Foster if they sign him to a tender, as he's an restricted free agent. Of course, you lose the risk of a team offering him a big deal and being willing to give up the draft picks to get him...


Don't see how we can risk that. A team with a 1at round pick in the mid to high twenties can easily make an offer to snag Foster. They only have to give up a 1 since the new cba, not a 1 and 3 any more. A front-loaded offer will be almost impossible for us to match given our cap predicament. Want to give up Arian for the e.g. 28th pick? Not me... I think we need to franchise him this year.

PapaL 03-01-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markn (Post 1907883)
Don't see how we can risk that. A team with a 1at round pick in the mid to high twenties can easily make an offer to snag Foster. They only have to give up a 1 since the new cba, not a 1 and 3 any more. A front-loaded offer will be almost impossible for us to match given our cap predicament. Want to give up Arian for the e.g. 28th pick? Not me... I think we need to franchise him this year.

Teams picking that high don't normally screw off money and draft picks. How many of them actually need a RB? How many can handle a poison pill contract, even for one year?

b0ng 03-02-2012 12:08 PM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaL (Post 1907891)
Teams picking that high don't normally screw off money and draft picks. How many of them actually need a RB? How many can handle a poison pill contract, even for one year?

Cincinatti. And they would do it in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose.

PapaL 03-02-2012 12:13 PM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ng (Post 1908151)
Cincinatti. And they would do it in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose.

Correct...which is why they'll always be a crappy team to play for. $42M under the cap for a reason. Hence the normally part of my comment.

b0ng 03-02-2012 12:15 PM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaL (Post 1908158)
Correct...which is why they'll always be a crappy team to play for. $42M under the cap for a reason. Hence the normally part of my comment.

Pretty sure most teams in the back part of the draft would be happy to trade their first pick for a player of Foster's caliber even if they have to sign him to a big deal. Running backs may not be drafted as high as they once were, but stud running backs still make NFL coaches panties wet.

Corrosion 03-02-2012 01:51 PM

Re: La Canfora: Texans on the rise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 1907631)
Interesting take from Jason that we're only one year away from having enough cap room to keep Mario & everyone else...

Something Ive pointed out here on TT a dozen times or more ..... They cankeep MW , Foster , Myers & Briesel with some creative structuring of contracts pushing money into the 2013 & 2014 seasons when the cap is expected to escalate considerably. Its reported the 2013 capcould beas much as $180m .... And teams must spend 90% of the cap figure.

The bold tells me a bunch of marginal players are going to get a whole lot more money than they are worth .... No reason not to structure deals for the Texans FA's as well as restructuring current contracts to absorb some of that must spend space in those cap years , especially those that are key pieces to the machine.
If done properly they will still have plenty of cap space to resign the important pieces in next years FA crop which includes Connor Barwin , Shaun Cody , Bryan Braman , Duane Brown , Rashad Butler , Antoine Caldwell , James Casey , Brice McCain , Jesse Nading , Troy Nolan , Glover Quin & Matt Schaub.


If you think this season is rough for the Texans as far as FA goes ....Just take a look at that list for next season again ....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger