Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Stephen Hill (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90033)

beerlover 02-26-2012 06:01 PM

Stephen Hill
 
Usually Alan Burge has this covered but a new name emerged during the combine that is worthy of mention as Texans address a #2 WR. If Kendall Wright is off the board by Texans selection #26 I might suggest Hill as a draft riser @ WR position who has both size 6-4 215, speed 4.36 body control & soft hands.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/090...module=HP11_cp

He also specializes in a whole different category, blocking, that we all know Texans covet. Hill was mostly asked to block in Georgia Tech's triple-option offense. As a blocker, Hill is outstanding, consistently locating, controlling, moving, and pancaking smaller DBs, and more than holding his own against LBs. Hill, despite high hips, bends his knees, uses good technique, and has good range and power blocking.

Seems like clean, well spoken individual who easily buys into team concept. He would bring not only speed on the outside he would lift the roof on coverage's & open up routes for Andre, other receivers/TE's. 29.3 yards per catch average. Those yards per catch are no joke either, I looked up his numbers, as a freshmen 22.83, sophomore 19.4.

Bottom Line: Big play specialist, every down WR because of blocking skill set, in other words might just be perfect compliment to Andre Johnson.

:wesmantexanfan:

Texn4life 02-26-2012 06:12 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1905651)
Usually Alan Burge has this covered but a new name emerged during the combine that is worthy of mention as Texans address a #2 WR. If Kendall Wright is off the board by Texans selection #26 I might suggest Hill as a draft riser @ WR position who has both size 6-4 215, speed 4.36 body control & soft hands.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/090...module=HP11_cp

He also specializes in a whole different category, blocking, that we all know Texans covet. Hill was mostly asked to block in Georgia Tech's triple-option offense. As a blocker, Hill is outstanding, consistently locating, controlling, moving, and pancaking smaller DBs, and more than holding his own against LBs. Hill, despite high hips, bends his knees, uses good technique, and has good range and power blocking.

Seems like clean, well spoken individual who easily buys into team concept. He would bring not only speed on the outside he would lift the roof on coverage's & open up routes for Andre, other receivers/TE's. 29.3 yards per catch average. Those yards per catch are no joke either, I looked up his numbers, as a freshmen 22.83, sophomore 19.4.

Bottom Line: Big play specialist, every down WR because of blocking skill set, in other words might just be perfect compliment to Andre Johnson.

:wesmantexanfan:

Because of the system he would be a project. In this type of situation it's valuable to keep a guy like Walter around if you draft Hill. It's going to be an adjustment going to a pro style offense where he's exposed to running a complete route tree. His big play potential is too big to ignore. He's one of those guys where you'll probably see just about every team at his pro day where they can focus solely on his route running. It would have been even more awesome to see him in the Senior Bowl running these routes instead of against air, but I'm with you that the guy is worth a look.

Dutchrudder 02-26-2012 06:12 PM

I saw his combine performance and He looks legit. He may vault Randle and Jeffery to become the 4th best WR prospect.

beerlover 02-26-2012 06:47 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
The NFL draft process is fluid, always keep options open. There are so many dynamics in play, in Stephen Hills case it may be just system he played in? While he may not have developed the route tree you'd like the fact that he learned how to block is exceptionally under-rated skill set, not tested @ the combine. He is fluid, assimilated drills quickly & showcased soft hands, plucking ball away from body suggesting a true sleeper pick @ a position Texans need help in.

mussop 02-26-2012 07:16 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1905668)
The NFL draft process is fluid, always keep options open. There are so many dynamics in play, in Stephen Hills case it may be just system he played in? While he may not have developed the route tree you'd like the fact that he learned how to block is exceptionally under-rated skill set, not tested @ the combine. He is fluid, assimilated drills quickly & showcased soft hands, plucking ball away from body suggesting a true sleeper pick @ a position Texans need help in.



from the combine web site.

WEAKNESSES Hill's value is based purely off his ability as a deep threat. He has average quickness and moves off the line of scrimmage to avoid a jam. He ran a very basic route tree at Georgia Tech that didn't allow him to showcase many skills. Outside of catching jump balls, he struggles to read coverages and understand how to find holes in a zone. Hill looks uncomfortable with the ball in his hands and resembles a lengthy track star on the field instead of a football player. He dropped as many big balls as he made big plays; his YPC stat defines him perfectly as a player who is capable of making flash plays but isn't reliable.


The forty time is impressive but the body of work in college is not. There is major risk in taking this type player. has alot of the same qualities that JJ had coming out. Is a high risk, high reward type that would not touch until the 3rd round.

beerlover 02-26-2012 07:38 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1905682)
from the combine web site.

WEAKNESSES Hill's value is based purely off his ability as a deep threat. He has average quickness and moves off the line of scrimmage to avoid a jam. He ran a very basic route tree at Georgia Tech that didn't allow him to showcase many skills. Outside of catching jump balls, he struggles to read coverages and understand how to find holes in a zone. Hill looks uncomfortable with the ball in his hands and resembles a lengthy track star on the field instead of a football player. He dropped as many big balls as he made big plays; his YPC stat defines him perfectly as a player who is capable of making flash plays but isn't reliable.


The forty time is impressive but the body of work in college is not. There is major risk in taking this type player. has alot of the same qualities that JJ had coming out. Is a high risk, high reward type that would not touch until the 3rd round.

I did not see any weakness in his performance, of course its just the combine, but he ran the drills fluidly without hesitation. You can't compare him to a slot receiver either, what I'm suggesting is the system ran @ GT dictated his role even though each year his numbers progressively improved. Remember he is only a Junior. He also followed in the footsteps of Demaryius Thomas who followed Calvin Johnson. Which tells me recruiting wise they do a pretty good job developing bigger, faster WR's with good hands.

mussop 02-26-2012 08:04 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1905698)
I did not see any weakness in his performance, of course its just the combine, but he ran the drills fluidly without hesitation. You can't compare him to a slot receiver either, what I'm suggesting is the system ran @ GT dictated his role even though each year his numbers progressively improved. Remember he is only a Junior. He also followed in the footsteps of Demaryius Thomas who followed Calvin Johnson. Which tells me recruiting wise they do a pretty good job developing bigger, faster WR's with good hands.

I watched him more than once and I'm telling you that he is capable of making spectacular plays at times. The problem is he drops more passes than he makes big plays. He disappears for long stretches and sometimes entire games. He has serious potential. that is why I compare him to Jacoby.

thunderkyss 02-26-2012 08:16 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1905651)
Usually Alan Burge has this covered but a new name emerged during the combine that is worthy of mention as Texans address a #2 WR.

I took notice when I saw that 4.3 forty. I wanted to see him in the catching drills, but missed them.

Is he plucking the ball with his hands? Routes look ok? How about catching, turning, & exploding?

SAMURAITEXAN 02-26-2012 08:22 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
So I guess, WR prospects situation may go down like the following.

Blackmon Top 5
Floyd Top 20
Randle, Hill, Streeter Late 1st to eary 2nd?
Quick, Toon, McNutt 2nd to 3rd

Jeffery and Fuller didn't run so don't know where they fit.

Devon Wylie for our kick/punt return specialist?

NastyNate 02-26-2012 08:25 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1905651)
Usually Alan Burge has this covered but a new name emerged during the combine that is worthy of mention as Texans address a #2 WR. If Kendall Wright is off the board by Texans selection #26 I might suggest Hill as a draft riser @ WR position who has both size 6-4 215, speed 4.36 body control & soft hands.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/090...module=HP11_cp

He also specializes in a whole different category, blocking, that we all know Texans covet. Hill was mostly asked to block in Georgia Tech's triple-option offense. As a blocker, Hill is outstanding, consistently locating, controlling, moving, and pancaking smaller DBs, and more than holding his own against LBs. Hill, despite high hips, bends his knees, uses good technique, and has good range and power blocking.

Seems like clean, well spoken individual who easily buys into team concept. He would bring not only speed on the outside he would lift the roof on coverage's & open up routes for Andre, other receivers/TE's. 29.3 yards per catch average. Those yards per catch are no joke either, I looked up his numbers, as a freshmen 22.83, sophomore 19.4.

Bottom Line: Big play specialist, every down WR because of blocking skill set, in other words might just be perfect compliment to Andre Johnson.

:wesmantexanfan:

No no no no for the love of god NO! Please do not draft this kid. He is so inconsistent it kills. He's dropped more open passes than anyone I can recount. 49 career catches, probably 49 career drops. He's terrible.

Nate

thunderkyss 02-26-2012 08:28 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1905682)
from the combine web site.

WEAKNESSES Hill's value is based purely off his ability as a deep threat. He has average quickness and moves off the line of scrimmage to avoid a jam. He ran a very basic route tree at Georgia Tech that didn't allow him to showcase many skills. Outside of catching jump balls, he struggles to read coverages and understand how to find holes in a zone. Hill looks uncomfortable with the ball in his hands and resembles a lengthy track star on the field instead of a football player. He dropped as many big balls as he made big plays; his YPC stat defines him perfectly as a player who is capable of making flash plays but isn't reliable.


The forty time is impressive but the body of work in college is not. There is major risk in taking this type player. has alot of the same qualities that JJ had coming out. Is a high risk, high reward type that would not touch until the 3rd round.

I'm thinking the same thing.

But.. he's what, 6-4 & ran a 4.3...... that's insane. That's Randy Moss.

However, I don't know if we have the tools behind center to take advantage.

There aren't many highlights of him on YouTube, but what I saw, I didn't see anyone try to jam him on the line. The gave him space & he was still able to get to any spot on the field he wanted....

NastyNate 02-26-2012 08:31 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 1905729)
I'm thinking the same thing.

But.. he's what, 6-4 & ran a 4.3...... that's insane. That's Randy Moss.

However, I don't know if we have the tools behind center to take advantage.

There aren't many highlights of him on YouTube, but what I saw, I didn't see anyone try to jam him on the line. The gave him space & he was still able to get to any spot on the field he wanted....

TK, he can't consistently make the catch. PASS! You're giving up Jacoby for a rookie Jacoby 2.0. Stop it already, he hasn't been on draft boards for a reason!

SAMURAITEXAN 02-26-2012 08:35 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NastyNate (Post 1905730)
TK, he can't consistently make the catch. PASS! You're giving up Jacoby for a rookie Jacoby 2.0. Stop it already, he hasn't been on draft boards for a reason!

Sometime, even so call experts miss evaluate prospects. So, you never know Hill maybe a legit late 1st rd pick.

Go Texans!!!

Lucky 02-26-2012 08:38 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NastyNate (Post 1905728)
No no no no for the love of god NO! Please do not draft this kid. He is so inconsistent it kills. He's dropped more open passes than anyone I can recount. 49 career catches, probably 49 career drops. He's terrible.

Nate

Nate, have you actually seen Hill play one game? Ever? How do you know how many passes he has or hasn't dropped?

Lucky 02-26-2012 08:46 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Stephen Hill one handed catch

Stephen Hill diving catch with CB hanging on

Stephen Hill takes a short pass 80 yards

aussie_texan 02-26-2012 09:08 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
was watching the combine live and the 40 just blew me away straight away i was looking all over the net about this kid.

he does have jacoby written all over him, smaller school, high potential but big risk.

i wouldn't put a first round grade on him because of his route running but if his available in the 2nd i would be pretty happy if we got him.

beerlover 02-26-2012 09:38 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Forget draft grade a minute and ask yourself who would have the biggest impact as a Texan amongst available WR's in this draft? Who would be the best complimentary fit across Andre Johnson.

Playoffs 02-26-2012 10:05 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1905759)
Forget draft grade a minute and ask yourself who would have the biggest impact as a Texan amongst available WR's in this draft? Who would be the best complimentary fit across Andre Johnson.

Kendall Wright.

Lucky 02-26-2012 10:18 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 1905750)
he does have jacoby written all over him, smaller school

Georgia Tech is a BCS school that has played in post season bowl games for the past 15 seasons.

76Texan 02-26-2012 10:24 PM

Re: Stephen Hill
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 1905724)
I took notice when I saw that 4.3 forty. I wanted to see him in the catching drills, but missed them.

Is he plucking the ball with his hands? Routes look ok? How about catching, turning, & exploding?

He looks pretty good in one portion of the drills that I saw.
He was attacking the ball really well.
i've got a bunch of game tapes on him; I guess I'll start pulling them out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger