Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   NastyNate's mock (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90024)

NastyNate 02-25-2012 08:34 PM

NastyNate's mock
 
1. Reuben Randle, WR, LSU 6'3" 210 4.57 (enough said)

2. Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall 6'3" 265 4.78 Curry has the quickness and busy hands to be a very serviceable pass rusher in our rotation. I see potential as a switch to OLB with his ability to change direction so quickly and his natural instinct to shed OT's instead of engaging them. He absolutely worked Mike Adams in the game I watched (Ohio State stud LT).

3. Ladarius Green, TE, Louisiana Lafayette 6'6" 238 4.53 Huge TE with excellent run blocking skills, averaged 18 YPC. I prefer his blocking ability over Fleener. This is the next Gronkowski and a perfect Dreesen replacement.

4. Akiem Hicks, NT, Regina (eh?) 6'4" 324 4.98 Hicks is a relative unkown, very nimble and a ton of potential. Not extremely versatile other than bull rush and plays a little tall for my liking but with an 84" wingspan and proven ability to stop the run, with Wade he looks to be a huge help in the run gap as NT.

5. Terrance Ganaway, RB, Baylor 6'0" 239 4.62 While not a speedster, Ganaway is a bowling ball between the tackles. A perfect 3rd and short and 4th quarter bruiser to take pressure off of Arian between the tackles. I think he would be excellent in our 1 cut system, very hard to bring down and decent initial burst. Has to improve his pass blocking but a good Ward replacement.

6. Jaymes Brooks, OG, Virginia Tech 6'2" 310 4.92 Looked awesome in the ACC championship game, graded excellent run and pass blocking. Could be a future swing guard to either replace wade smith or get antoine caldwell back on the unemployment line.

7. Case Keenum, QB, U of H 6'1" 208 4.94 Keenum is supposedly just a system QB, but he's under the same system taken to Baylor which RGIII flourished under so well with Keenum posting the better numbers. It's a 7th round pick, could be a nobody, could be the next Drew Brees. I'd like to go Kicker here, butvery few good kicking options out there this year.

Nate

otisbean 02-25-2012 09:04 PM

Re: NastyNate's mock
 
I like the mock. I don't know the NT or G. I'm not sure Curry is there for our pick in the 2nd though

NastyNate 02-25-2012 09:27 PM

Re: NastyNate's mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by otisbean (Post 1905399)
I like the mock. I don't know the NT or G. I'm not sure Curry is there for our pick in the 2nd though

Akiem Hicks is a great run plugger. His arm tackles might not be effective against the elite RB's in the NFL/AFC South, but that's to be seen. Gorilla glue on his palms, very intelligent guy too. I think if he can get in the seat a little more in his stance he'll be a tough NT in the NFL. Can also play DE if necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QjwRWvPlDk

This is the East-West shrine game where he was a force, constantly worked double teams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmA-...eature=related


Jaymes Brooks would be more depth, a studdard/caldwell type who can actually get in a playbook and work. I love him in run support which is where the Texans could utilize him.

steelbtexan 02-25-2012 09:35 PM

Re: NastyNate's mock
 
Dont think Curry will be there.

Hate the Green pick, he's nothing more than a big WR. After watching the Combine and the Sooners play. I would be OK with James Hannah in the 4th and either Hicks (Who I like alot) or Chapman in the 3rd.

Love the rest of your mock.

NastyNate 02-25-2012 09:56 PM

Re: NastyNate's mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1905405)
Dont think Curry will be there.

Hate the Green pick, he's nothing more than a big WR. After watching the Combine and the Sooners play. I would be OK with James Hannah in the 4th and either Hicks (Who I like alot) or Chapman in the 3rd.

Love the rest of your mock.

Gah, I think the upside for Green is there. Even if he's just a big WR, utilize him as such. He's still extremely quick, and you can't cover him with a CB at 6'6" that's a matchup nightmare. He's a stud, and will be in the NFL. His downfield blocking needs improvement though so I don't know if the Texans target him.

If he's not there in the 3rd, I'd take Hicks instead and target Evan Rodriguez in the 4th as a TE hybrid option or Hanna.

TimeKiller 02-26-2012 12:06 PM

Re: NastyNate's mock
 
I echo steelb's thoughts. IF Curry is available it's a good pick. 3rd round should be another WR pick, I don't think TE is a priority even if Dressen leaves and if it is it's low...like 7th or UDFA focus. Not as big of a fan of Hicks as a couple here are. Why did he end up playing in Canada after LSU?

beerlover 02-26-2012 12:25 PM

Re: NastyNate's mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeKiller (Post 1905536)
I echo steelb's thoughts. IF Curry is available it's a good pick. 3rd round should be another WR pick, I don't think TE is a priority even if Dressen leaves and if it is it's low...like 7th or UDFA focus. Not as big of a fan of Hicks as a couple here are. Why did he end up playing in Canada after LSU?

Red Tape

NastyNate 02-27-2012 12:18 AM

Re: NastyNate's mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1905405)
Dont think Curry will be there.

Hate the Green pick, he's nothing more than a big WR. After watching the Combine and the Sooners play. I would be OK with James Hannah in the 4th and either Hicks (Who I like alot) or Chapman in the 3rd.

Love the rest of your mock.

Dude you're so wrong on Green it Pains me. I will never post on this board again if Green is a bust. I'd wager he has at least 7 TD's and massive big play ability his first year starting. Yes he may not start his first year up, he has blocking ability to work on, but he will be the next Gronkowski.

and Curry will be there, Devon Still's draft rating will rise in the combine. Curry will be a beast of an OLB, mark it zero.

Nate

otisbean 02-27-2012 04:54 AM

Re: NastyNate's mock
 
I do think Curry will be a terrific player, and would love him on our D. However, given the premium on pass rushers, unless he looks very pedestrian today, I think he gets drafted before we pick in rd 2. NE could be a likely landing spot as their D is atrocious and they have 37 picks in the first 2 rds.

steelbtexan 02-27-2012 08:07 AM

Re: NastyNate's mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NastyNate (Post 1905825)
Dude you're so wrong on Green it Pains me. I will never post on this board again if Green is a bust. I'd wager he has at least 7 TD's and massive big play ability his first year starting. Yes he may not start his first year up, he has blocking ability to work on, but he will be the next Gronkowski.

and Curry will be there, Devon Still's draft rating will rise in the combine. Curry will be a beast of an OLB, mark it zero.

Nate

Hope you're right on Curry

Difference in opinion on Green, he doesn't compare to Gronkowski. Gronk is 6'6 260LBS. Green is more like Hernandez size/speed wise if you're looking for a good comparison.

WolverineFan 02-27-2012 10:24 AM

Re: NastyNate's mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1905873)
Hope you're right on Curry

Difference in opinion on Green, he doesn't compare to Gronkowski. Gronk is 6'6 260LBS. Green is more like Hernandez size/speed wise if you're looking for a good comparison.

I agree, I don't see how the Gronk comparison applies. Much more similar to Hernandez in size/athleticism.

NastyNate 02-27-2012 06:29 PM

Re: NastyNate's mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1905873)
Hope you're right on Curry

Difference in opinion on Green, he doesn't compare to Gronkowski. Gronk is 6'6 260LBS. Green is more like Hernandez size/speed wise if you're looking for a good comparison.

Yeah looking back at my statement I could have worded it more eloquently. My apologies in the Green reference. Curry ran a 4.98 today, I'd definitely wager him to be there in the second.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger