Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   BL Pre-Combine Mock Draft 2012 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89828)

beerlover 02-15-2012 12:30 PM

BL Pre-Combine Mock Draft 2012
 
Without Mario Williams: Front Office focus resigning Myers/Brisel/Foster

First Round: Fletcher Cox, DE/OLB, Mississippi State, 6'4" 290
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.co...1212162526.jpg
Dynamic young, raw DE to replace Mario who Texans cannot afford to resign. Can seal the edge, rush the QB & play the run. Would rotate, YES, into lineup keeping front three fresh, add depth @ critical position upfront & who knows Wade likes to have as many pass rushers on the field as possible at all times so don't be surprised to see him same time with Watt, Smith, Reed & Barwin in certain packages. BPA approach.

Second Round: Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas, 5'11" 176
http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.co...312342.jpg?608
With Wright off the board early, Texans look for another #2 who has deep speed that can take cover off secondary & stretch the field. Joe may or may not still be on the board late second but if he is expect him to catch a look from the Texans in need of WR.

Third Round: Isaiah Pead, RB/Returner, Cincinnati, 5'10 193

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo...s_Football.jpg
Premium return man who also saves roster space (back-up RB). In mold of Joshua Cribbs. Very instinctive, good hands/ball skills, size & thickness in frame for increased durability as oppossed to exposing smaller man, like Joe Adams or last season Trindon Holliday. One of those play makers who in the open field finds a second gear & if difficult to arm tackle.

Fourth Round: Levy Adcock, OT/OG, 6'5" 322

http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.co...735216.jpg?596
Looks to me like he has Texan ZBS style OL written all over him coming from a similar system @ Oklahoma State. Will compete immediately with LG Wade Smith. He can also help clear cap room if Texans decide to release Rashad Butler for salary cap room to resign other free agents as new swing tackle. Not invited to Combine, Texans along with all other teams will be in Stillwater, Oklahoma for Pro-Day.


Fifth Round: Akiem Hicks, NT, Regina, 6'5" 324
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmA-CbyZ3M
Disruptive, nasty-streak, unblock-able at times, will require double team next level. Adds strength along with Fletcher making Texans even more physical & unpleasant inside. Quote: ""It's time to actually bring the power, the ferociousness and the tackling. That's what they want to see. If you can do that, then you've punched your ticket. You can get on the train."

6th Round: Thomas Mayo, WR, California (PA) 6'2" 210
http://heffran.dyndns.org/wordpress/...100111-827.jpg
Excellent size/speed combination off the edge. Looks like he can separate from coverage, tough run blocker with plus hands. Late bloomer who was snubbed by combine so expect Texans to send scouts to his Pro-Day, then if they bring him here to workout you'll know they have more than a little interest.

7th Round: Chase Ford, TE, Miami, 6'6" 255
http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/...dQr3.St.56.jpg
Tall, with Basketball skills, TE to develop as Red Zone target. Has great hands, knows & willing to extend in traffic to go get the ball at apex of flight. With depth of position, unless Dresseen leaves via free agency he will have time to develop & play special teams then slowly be added to goal line packages.

TimeKiller 02-15-2012 08:54 PM

Re: BL Pre-Combine Mock Draft 2012
 
Nice. Cox would add another bigtime talent to the front 7. I see him as a better pass rusher than Cody and a better run stopper than Smith. Joe Adams is a nice pick too. 3rd round pick is my least favorite. Another receiver or maybe OLB would be better imo. Get a top flight guy then in the 6th get more OL depth to develop.

1- Cox, DE/DT
2- Adams, WR/KR
3- Brian Quick, Tommy Streeter, Dwight Jones, maybe reach for McNutt
4- Adcock, OG
5- Hicks, NT
6- LB depth or another OL
7- Ford, TE

beerlover 02-18-2012 10:44 AM

Re: BL Pre-Combine Mock Draft 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeKiller (Post 1900930)
Nice. Cox would add another bigtime talent to the front 7. I see him as a better pass rusher than Cody and a better run stopper than Smith. Joe Adams is a nice pick too. 3rd round pick is my least favorite. Another receiver or maybe OLB would be better imo. Get a top flight guy then in the 6th get more OL depth to develop.

1- Cox, DE/DT
2- Adams, WR/KR
3- Brian Quick, Tommy Streeter, Dwight Jones, maybe reach for McNutt
4- Adcock, OG
5- Hicks, NT
6- LB depth or another OL
7- Ford, TE

Here is something interesting? http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89243 I'm selecting for the Patriots. Been researching players & needs that fit their system it's become apparent both Texans & Patriots could be targeting the same players/needs These selections posted above reflect that so in a sense parallel New England but this was designed for the Texans. Including free agent Mario Williams one is just trying to keep him the other is trying to decide how much to offer him. Short story, don't be hoping to trade down with Bellichick he might just rob us of a player WE covet. :hankpalm:

rmartin65 02-18-2012 11:13 AM

Re: BL Pre-Combine Mock Draft 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1900551)
Without Mario Williams: Front Office focus resigning Myers/Brisel/Foster

First Round: Fletcher Cox, DE/OLB, Mississippi State, 6'4" 290
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.co...1212162526.jpg
Dynamic young, raw DE to replace Mario who Texans cannot afford to resign. Can seal the edge, rush the QB & play the run. Would rotate, YES, into lineup keeping front three fresh, add depth @ critical position upfront & who knows Wade likes to have as many pass rushers on the field as possible at all times so don't be surprised to see him same time with Watt, Smith, Reed & Barwin in certain packages. BPA approach.

Second Round: Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas, 5'11" 176
http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.co...312342.jpg?608
With Wright off the board early, Texans look for another #2 who has deep speed that can take cover off secondary & stretch the field. Joe may or may not still be on the board late second but if he is expect him to catch a look from the Texans in need of WR.

Third Round: Isaiah Pead, RB/Returner, Cincinnati, 5'10 193

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo...s_Football.jpg
Premium return man who also saves roster space (back-up RB). In mold of Joshua Cribbs. Very instinctive, good hands/ball skills, size & thickness in frame for increased durability as oppossed to exposing smaller man, like Joe Adams or last season Trindon Holliday. One of those play makers who in the open field finds a second gear & if difficult to arm tackle.

Fourth Round: Levy Adcock, OT/OG, 6'5" 322

http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.co...735216.jpg?596
Looks to me like he has Texan ZBS style OL written all over him coming from a similar system @ Oklahoma State. Will compete immediately with LG Wade Smith. He can also help clear cap room if Texans decide to release Rashad Butler for salary cap room to resign other free agents as new swing tackle. Not invited to Combine, Texans along with all other teams will be in Stillwater, Oklahoma for Pro-Day.


Fifth Round: Akiem Hicks, NT, Regina, 6'5" 324
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmA-CbyZ3M
Disruptive, nasty-streak, unblock-able at times, will require double team next level. Adds strength along with Fletcher making Texans even more physical & unpleasant inside. Quote: ""It's time to actually bring the power, the ferociousness and the tackling. That's what they want to see. If you can do that, then you've punched your ticket. You can get on the train."

6th Round: Thomas Mayo, WR, California (PA) 6'2" 210
http://heffran.dyndns.org/wordpress/...100111-827.jpg
Excellent size/speed combination off the edge. Looks like he can separate from coverage, tough run blocker with plus hands. Late bloomer who was snubbed by combine so expect Texans to send scouts to his Pro-Day, then if they bring him here to workout you'll know they have more than a little interest.

7th Round: Chase Ford, TE, Miami, 6'6" 255
http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/...dQr3.St.56.jpg
Tall, with Basketball skills, TE to develop as Red Zone target. Has great hands, knows & willing to extend in traffic to go get the ball at apex of flight. With depth of position, unless Dresseen leaves via free agency he will have time to develop & play special teams then slowly be added to goal line packages.

Looks pretty good man, but here are my critiques:

1) I just dont know about addressing DE again. Also, Cox is a bit suspect to me. Granted, I only watched Miss State a couple times this year, and most of them in the beginning of the year, but Cox never stood out to me. He seemed like a good college player, but I never had a wow moment when watching him.

2) I really like Adams, so long as his medical checks out. Small, quick receiver with speed to burn and return ability, sign me up.

3) Hmm.. Pead. I know he has a following on the board, and I am starting to come around, but why draft a RB this early? We have Foster, who is one of the best in the league. And then we have Tate, who certainly impressed this season, nearing 1000 yards and averaging over 5 ypc. I like grabbing a back, just later in the draft.

4) I like Addock, and I like addressing the interior line. Nice pick.

5) Hicks is a boom or bust type prospect. Unknown before the all star games, he certainly looks the part of an NFL player. But by all accounts he is raw. Very raw, so much so that it is unlikely that he makes an impact next year. I am neutral on the pick- I love the upside, but I worry about the bust factor. However, worth a chance here in the 5th.

6) Meh... Receiver prospect that has great stats and looks the part. Cant argue the pick, solid choice. My only concern is that you have added 4 playmakers on offense- Adams, Pead, Mayo, and Ford in the 7th. There is only one ball out there, and we d run the ball quite a bit. I wonder if one of these picks can be used to stiffen up the D a bit, or address the line once more.

7) YES!!!

beerlover 02-18-2012 11:58 AM

Re: BL Pre-Combine Mock Draft 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmartin65 (Post 1902147)
Looks pretty good man, but here are my critiques:

1) I just dont know about addressing DE again. Also, Cox is a bit suspect to me. Granted, I only watched Miss State a couple times this year, and most of them in the beginning of the year, but Cox never stood out to me. He seemed like a good college player, but I never had a wow moment when watching him.

Like Mario, Cox has the ability in Wade Phillips system to stand up or put his hand down coming off the edge or posting as a 5 tech DE. Good work attributes, length, agility with plus athleticism (not up to Mario Williams standards, but not the cost either). His draft grade is somewhere in the early 20's which means good value for Texans at a position of need without Mario.

2) I really like Adams, so long as his medical checks out. Small, quick receiver with speed to burn and return ability, sign me up.

After Wright he would be my target to give Texans someone who could stretch the field.

3) Hmm.. Pead. I know he has a following on the board, and I am starting to come around, but why draft a RB this early? We have Foster, who is one of the best in the league. And then we have Tate, who certainly impressed this season, nearing 1000 yards and averaging over 5 ypc. I like grabbing a back, just later in the draft.

Love his attitude, playmaker without the big head. Really feel he will be a very productive & accomplished returner in the NFL, something more teams will covet based off this years playoffs.

4) I like Addock, and I like addressing the interior line. Nice pick.

Second coming of Brisel with better measurable & length comparable. Versatility is key for Texans offensive line needs with injury's.

5) Hicks is a boom or bust type prospect. Unknown before the all star games, he certainly looks the part of an NFL player. But by all accounts he is raw. Very raw, so much so that it is unlikely that he makes an impact next year. I am neutral on the pick- I love the upside, but I worry about the bust factor. However, worth a chance here in the 5th.

Agreed, would take Baylor Nicolas Jean-Baptiste if there? reflection more so on my part of trying to be realistic balancing draft grades with need.

6) Meh... Receiver prospect that has great stats and looks the part. Cant argue the pick, solid choice. My only concern is that you have added 4 playmakers on offense- Adams, Pead, Mayo, and Ford in the 7th. There is only one ball out there, and we d run the ball quite a bit. I wonder if one of these picks can be used to stiffen up the D a bit, or address the line once more.

Even if he is placed on the practice squad, give him a year or two he has the raw ability to be the #3 or 4 on Texan roster. worth risk/investment giving depth in camp to compete with Lestar Jean among others.
7) YES!!!

Cool, Thanks man :wesmantexanfan:

TimeKiller 02-19-2012 08:46 PM

Re: BL Pre-Combine Mock Draft 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1902137)
Here is something interesting? http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89243 I'm selecting for the Patriots. Been researching players & needs that fit their system it's become apparent both Texans & Patriots could be targeting the same players/needs These selections posted above reflect that so in a sense parallel New England but this was designed for the Texans. Including free agent Mario Williams one is just trying to keep him the other is trying to decide how much to offer him. Short story, don't be hoping to trade down with Bellichick he might just rob us of a player WE covet. :hankpalm:

True. Frankly I wouldn't trade with New England just because it's New England.

beerlover 02-19-2012 09:22 PM

Re: BL Pre-Combine Mock Draft 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeKiller (Post 1902682)
True. Frankly I wouldn't trade with New England just because it's New England.

true that :wesmantexanfan:

beerlover 02-20-2012 12:45 PM

Re: BL Pre-Combine Mock Draft 2012
 
Just a quick follow-up before COX weighs in, which will be interesting in itself because you guys do realize that Jay Ratliff, three Pro-Bowler (two in Wade Phillips 3-4) is a NT. Same size, 6-4 287 (check Combine weigh-in) also out of SEC (Auburn). Big difference to me is only that Fletcher Cox is coming out as underclassman where Ratliff played DT only one year, his senior season recording 37 tackles, 10 TFL & one sack. Fletcher on other hand as a Junior mind you had 56 tackles, 14.5 TFL & 5 sacks.

So basically what you have here is a player who fits a 3-4 scheme & who could play every single DL position for Wade. This is a key reason for his selection, Fletcher Cox gives Wade defense plus value, possibly as a starting NT & softens the blow if unable to resign Mario Williams.

TimeKiller 02-20-2012 03:20 PM

Re: BL Pre-Combine Mock Draft 2012
 
I think he improves the weakest link in the 3 guys who come every play on the DL. He's a big fella too. That #26 pick is in a real ugly area of the draft but if he fell and the Texans got him, we should be pretty happy.

Insideop 02-20-2012 03:24 PM

Re: BL Pre-Combine Mock Draft 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1902915)
Just a quick follow-up before COX weighs in, which will be interesting in itself because you guys do realize that Jay Ratliff, three Pro-Bowler (two in Wade Phillips 3-4) is a NT. Same size, 6-4 287 (check Combine weigh-in) also out of SEC (Auburn). Big difference to me is only that Fletcher Cox is coming out as underclassman where Ratliff played DT only one year, his senior season recording 37 tackles, 10 TFL & one sack. Fletcher on other hand as a Junior mind you had 56 tackles, 14.5 TFL & 5 sacks.

So basically what you have here is a player who fits a 3-4 scheme & who could play every single DL position for Wade. This is a key reason for his selection, Fletcher Cox gives Wade defense plus value, possibly as a starting NT & softens the blow if unable to resign Mario Williams.

I wouldn't be shocked or upset if we took Cox, even if we resign Mario. But, I would be surprised if they took a NT later in the draft and then picked up another TE. If they get Cox I don't see them picking up Hicks in the 5th unless they move Cox to OLB like they did with Mario, and I just don't see that happening. Cox is not Mario. He's a DT that could also play DE. He's not a DE that can also play OLB. I agree he does give them flexibility to play him at NT or DE, but if Mario leaves, I don't think Cox replaces him.

As far as picking another TE, I don't see that happening either, even if we lose Dreessen. Although the odds go up a little of them getting 1 if he does leave. My thinking on this is they already have enough with OD, Dreessen, and Graham. And if Dreessen leaves or if someone gets hurt they still can move Casey back to TE.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger