Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Bl Top 32 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89760)

beerlover 02-12-2012 11:41 AM

Bl Top 32
 
1. Andrew Luck QB Stanford
2. Robert Griffin III QB Baylor
3. Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State
4. Matt Kalil OT Southern Cal
5. Trent Richardson RB Alabama
6. Morris Claiborne CB LSU
7. Quentin Coples DE North Carolina
8. Riley Reiff OT Iowa
9. David DeCastro OG Stanford
10. Kendall Wright WR Baylor
11. Michael Brockers DT LSU
12. Jonathan Martin OT Stanford
13. Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame
14. Nick Perry DE Southern Cal
15. Luke Kuechly LB Boston College
16. Melvin Ingram DE/OLB South Carolina
17. Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama
18. Devon Still DT Penn State
19. Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama
20. Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina
21. Mike Adams OT Ohio State
22. Cordy Glenn OG/OT Georgia
23. Fletcher Cox DT Mississippi State
24. Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama
25. Nick Foles QB Arizona
26. Dont’a Hightower ILB Alabama
27. Peter Konz OC Wisconsin
28. Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State
29. Lamar Miller RB Miami(FL)
30. Vontaze Burfict ILB Arizona State
31. Brandon Weeden QB Oklahoma State
32. Whitney Mercilus DE Illinois


"HOT" off the press from me to you, enjoy :)

gary 02-12-2012 12:08 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
You should print out this list as the draft approaches and then check their names off while you watch the draft to see many you get right if you do not already do that by now anyway maybe you do.

thunderkyss 02-12-2012 12:35 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gary (Post 1898844)
You should print out this list as the draft approaches and then check their names off while you watch the draft to see many you get right if you do not already do that by now anyway maybe you do.

Just because another team grabs another guy doesn't mean he was a better player... i.e. I don't think the order players get drafted can be used to see how many he got "right"

This is a little different than a mock.

Though they say they draft BPA, it's always with needs in mind. Even if St Louis had the #1 pick, there's no way they'll draft Luck or RGIII. That does not mean they are not the best football players in this draft.

If, however, St. Louis drafts Michael Floyd instead of Blackmon, they are saying they believe Floyd is better for their system.... ala Heyward-Bey over Crabtree or Maclin. "We" felt Crabtree & Maclin were the better WRs before the draft, after the draft, & 3 seasons later. Heyward-Bey getting drafted first does not make him a better WR than Crabtree or Maclin, (or Harvin, Nicks, or Brit)

However, if I were to make a list such as this, I would track who comes off & when. Then when my Texans are on the clock I'd take stock of who dropped & compare my "thinking" with the FO, just to see if we're on the same page.

thunderkyss 02-12-2012 12:39 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1898833)

"HOT" off the press from me to you, enjoy :)

Out of curiosity, I know this is your best 32, how much did the opinions of rmartin & bb affect where you rank these guys? Did you take into account any of the "known" sportswriters' opinions? Kiper, Brooks?

Will you & the others put out your "Mock Texans' big board?"

How deep is your "real" list?

beerlover 02-12-2012 02:26 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 1898850)
Just because another team grabs another guy doesn't mean he was a better player... i.e. I don't think the order players get drafted can be used to see how many he got "right"

This is a little different than a mock.

Though they say they draft BPA, it's always with needs in mind. Even if St Louis had the #1 pick, there's no way they'll draft Luck or RGIII. That does not mean they are not the best football players in this draft.

If, however, St. Louis drafts Michael Floyd instead of Blackmon, they are saying they believe Floyd is better for their system.... ala Heyward-Bey over Crabtree or Maclin. "We" felt Crabtree & Maclin were the better WRs before the draft, after the draft, & 3 seasons later. Heyward-Bey getting drafted first does not make him a better WR than Crabtree or Maclin, (or Harvin, Nicks, or Brit)

However, if I were to make a list such as this, I would track who comes off & when. Then when my Texans are on the clock I'd take stock of who dropped & compare my "thinking" with the FO, just to see if we're on the same page.

yep, plus it's still early. slipped some QB's in it at the end because it's a position which gets picked earlier than grade might suggest so these are the guys who I would lay money on to be successful early on, hence worth the risk. It's a grey area end of first round anyway, most don't carry first round grades or teams draft, like you say, for need over BPA so you can usually find plus value here, meaning you don't have to suck to add a starter even late in round one which I'm hopeful Texans can accomplish.

beerlover 02-12-2012 02:56 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 1898853)
Out of curiosity, I know this is your best 32, how much did the opinions of rmartin & bb affect where you rank these guys? Did you take into account any of the "known" sportswriters' opinions? Kiper, Brooks?

Will you & the others put out your "Mock Texans' big board?"

How deep is your "real" list?

of course they carry weight. however in the end it's on me to make who I feel is the best talent available. maybe if I subscribed to ESPN Scout or whatever it's called, Kiper & McShay opinions would also carry some weight, but I don't. Instead I try to base opinion on my own work, watching actual game tape, practices, interviews that kind of thing. Notice I don't have Dontari Poe included which I see a lot in mock drafts & big boards, I tried too but couldn't catch a Memphis game or recorded film of him performing. Doesn't mean he's not worthy of a top 32 grade, just that I haven't seen it.

Draft guys I respect include Maycock, Lomardi, Nolan Nawrocki, of course both LZ & John Harris of The Sideline. For example here is their write-up on Kendall Wright, now a sure trade up option if Texans target him.
Quote:

As with other receivers that come from a spread option, Wright could use work sharpening his routes and might have issues separating from defensive backs initially at the next level. Still, many draft analysts consider him to be a late first, possibly early second round range. When he runs at the combine, however, I predict his stock to be solidly in the first because he’ll be faster than any receiver that has a chance to be drafted in the first two rounds. The recent success of receivers such as Mike Wallace, DeSean Jackson and Carolina’s Steve Smith will help the notion that a player of Wright’s size can be an elite talent despite his diminutive size.
My take is focus on his production. Look at his numbers, forget about his return skills. 108 receptions in 2011 alone. 1663 total yards with a 15.40 average per catch. combine those two numbers together & it shows he has both ability to separate & create for plus yardage. Throw in 14 TD's means he can finish plays. Great hands, body control, expect a top 5 shuttle time, vertical should also be outstanding @ the combine, not worried about his forty, knows the route tree & is most pro ready after Blackmon. Which all comes into play in regards to his draft grade assigned.

beerlover 02-12-2012 06:11 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Texan Board would probably look a whole lot different, but for most part if they target WR in first round they MUST trade up to acquire him. One thing I have yet to do is flow out a first round mock, maybe after the combine? My best guess is if Wright were to be on the board past #14 (Cowboys) Rick might start making some phone calls :phone:

badboy 02-12-2012 06:42 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1898968)
Texan Board would probably look a whole lot different, but for most part if they target WR in first round they MUST trade up to acquire him. One thing I have yet to do is flow out a first round mock, maybe after the combine? My best guess is if Wright were to be on the board past #14 (Cowboys) Rick might start making some phone calls :phone:

BL do you project Blackmon, Wright, Floyd and Jeffery will all be selected top 25 or will one of them be #26. As I mentioned in PM I am concerned Wright will go high.

gary 02-12-2012 07:08 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Some players work out and other do not I just thought it would be a little fun. I apologize. I was just looking the order predicted not so much who's draft board is better or is more right.

beerlover 02-12-2012 07:12 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1898979)
BL do you project Blackmon, Wright, Floyd and Jeffery will all be selected top 25 or will one of them be #26. As I mentioned in PM I am concerned Wright will go high.

Jeffery has best chance of names you mentioned.

beerlover 02-12-2012 07:14 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gary (Post 1898987)
Some players work out and other do not I just thought it would be a little fun. I apologize.

It's all good, no worries Gary!

badboy 02-12-2012 07:47 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1898989)
Jeffery has best chance of names you mentioned.

yep I see him falling also but not sure I want him.

beerlover 02-12-2012 08:00 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1899007)
yep I see him falling also but not sure I want him.

He has size & understands how to use it going against double/triple coverages. I would select him #26 then add speedster to stretch defense soon thereafter. He could develop into Texans #1 after AJ career is finished.

aussie_texan 02-12-2012 08:44 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1899014)
He has size & understands how to use it going against double/triple coverages. I would select him #26 then add speedster to stretch defense soon thereafter. He could develop into Texans #1 after AJ career is finished.

do you guys buy into the rumours about his lack of work ethic?

still praying that floyd falls though and i guess it is possible.
I'm starting to think that wright may not be available to us as he could go in the top 15. And if Sanu has a good combine a team is going to reach for him

badboy 02-12-2012 08:53 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 1899023)
do you guys buy into the rumours about his lack of work ethic?

still praying that floyd falls though and i guess it is possible.
I'm starting to think that wright may not be available to us as he could go in the top 15. And if Sanu has a good combine a team is going to reach for him

Wright should be fantastic at combine and he should be 2nd WR behind Blackmon. I really like Floyd but his alcohol issues concern me and probably will McNair.

Jeffery has size and as BL said can take on 2-3 defenders and pull ball in. A lot of my opinions are just based on gut. (mine not his) and I just never felt comfortable with him. He should report to combine with a chiseled body and kiss up to every GM interviewing him. He could become an excellent receiver but I'm just leery.

aussie_texan 02-12-2012 09:06 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1899027)
He could become an excellent receiver but I'm just leery.

yeah i have the same feeling

beerlover 02-12-2012 09:15 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 1899030)
yeah i have the same feeling

Think you guys are thinking Diva which could be the case. However leave it to Andre to turn him around, that whole "work ethic" issue.

aussie_texan 02-12-2012 09:18 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1899035)
Think you guys are thinking Diva which could be the case. However leave it to Andre to turn him around, that whole "work ethic" issue.

my main concern is that i think his a little one dimensional and for his size he isn't that good of a blocker

beerlover 02-12-2012 11:53 PM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 1899037)
my main concern is that i think his a little one dimensional and for his size he isn't that good of a blocker

88 receptions, 1517 yards, 17.24 yard average per catch along with 9 TD's his Junior season suggest he has playmaking skills. Change came about because his starting QB Stephen Garcia 6-2 230 a legitimate NFL prospect was suspended http://espn.go.com/college-football/...stephen-garcia

put Alshon with Luck or RG3 its a different story, all blocking aside.

steelbtexan 02-13-2012 02:12 AM

Re: Bl Top 32
 
After the Combine look for Randle to shoot up the boards.

I think he's going to run in the high 4.4's at 6'2, 220-225


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger